SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States)

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
edited October 2020 in A Moving Train
I figured since the death of RBG, with so much attention being cast upon this judicial body, it was time for a thread of its own. I just read an article that two justices, Alito and Thomas, have "lashed out" at the decision that paved the way for legalization of same-sex marriage. Blows my mind that (at least) two justices believe that religious liberty trumps civil liberties. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/05/politics/clarence-thomas-samuel-alito/index.html
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    first day of confirmation hearings for Amy Coney Barrett. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    I figured since the death of RBG, with so much attention being cast upon this judicial body, it was time for a thread of its own. I just read an article that two justices, Alito and Thomas, have "lashed out" at the decision that paved the way for legalization of same-sex marriage. Blows my mind that (at least) two justices believe that religious liberty trumps civil liberties. 

believe both are Catholic....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    mickeyrat said:

If you’re correct, how dare they after what priests have done and covered up....it’s a joke of a religion 
    mickeyrat said:

yes, but faith should not inform judicial decisions. i'm sure it must be terribly difficult to separate the two, but to me, it's just common sense that civil rights trumps religious rights. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

kinda surprised only crickets in here for the most part. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited October 2020
    I've been listening to most of the hearings....not sure why the Dems don't hammer her on her previous statements related to election year appointments.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • kinda surprised only crickets in here for the most part. 
    I guess there's not all that much to talk about. She'll be confirmed. When (presumably) Biden wins and the Dems take over the Congress, they'll expand the court because they're bitter that they lost an election to a gameshow host and he was able to appoint three justices. 

One thing that strikes me as strange is the Democrats are going on and on about Obamacare in regards to the Barrett appointment. Why? There's no case that I know of that's calling into question the whether or not Obamacare is constitutional. They're treating this like it's an election campaign ("Our opponent will take away your healthcare!") but I don't think it works like that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I guess there's not all that much to talk about. She'll be confirmed. When (presumably) Biden wins and the Dems take over the Congress, they'll expand the court because they're bitter that they lost an election to a gameshow host and he was able to appoint three justices. 

One thing that strikes me as strange is the Democrats are going on and on about Obamacare in regards to the Barrett appointment. Why? There's no case that I know of that's calling into question the whether or not Obamacare is constitutional. They're treating this like it's an election campaign ("Our opponent will take away your healthcare!") but I don't think it works like that. 
    LOL....no case that you know of?  There is a case to be decided in the SC right now.  

And...expanding the court is constitutional.  Especially so when there is an imbalance in the court like now where 5 of the justices were placed by presidents that did not win the popular vote.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited October 2020

LOL....no case that you know of?  There is a case to be decided in the SC right now.  

And...expanding the court is constitutional.  Especially so when there is an imbalance in the court like now where 5 of the justices were placed by presidents that did not win the popular vote.
    Oh my god, the popular vote argument? LOL

Yeah no case that I know of. Since you know of one, enlighten me. 
    Edit: It must be this one: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/politics/supreme-court-obamacare/index.html

And yeah the court was expanded like over 150 years ago, but in more (somewhat) recent years, even the democratic party was against it when FDR wanted to expand it. It's such a shame that the court is so partisan and that there "liberal" justices and "conservative" justices. It really shouldn't matter if their job is just to interpret the law. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

And yeah the court was expanded like over 150 years ago, but in more (somewhat) recent years, even the democratic party was against it when FDR wanted to expand it. It's such a shame that the court is so partisan and that there "liberal" justices and "conservative" justices. It really shouldn't matter if their job is just to interpret the law. 
    It shouldn't matter but it does.  

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/explaining-california-v-texas-a-guide-to-the-case-challenging-the-aca/

There is the link to start your enlightenment.  I can't fathom how someone can criticize anyone on this board and not know that case is pending.

It shouldn't matter but it does.  

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/explaining-california-v-texas-a-guide-to-the-case-challenging-the-aca/

There is the link to start your enlightenment.  I can't fathom how someone can criticize anyone on this board and not know that case is pending.
    Yeah I edited my post then when I found that. But I wasn't criticizing anybody on the board so I'm not sure what you mean there. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

Laughing at a plausible argument....that's critical.

Regardless...that you come on here and argue this shit without knowing about that case tells us all we need to know.  

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Re: the Senate confirmation hearing of Amy Coney Barrett...
    It sounds like Senator Sheldon Whitehouse followed the money. I wish I had seen his presentation. 

Falling down,...not staying down
    Kat said:
    Re: the Senate confirmation hearing of Amy Coney Barrett...
    It sounds like Senator Sheldon Whitehouse followed the money. I wish I had seen his presentation. 

It was great.  Sad that it won't gain traction.

Regardless...that you come on here and argue this shit without knowing about that case tells us all we need to know.  
    I'll always laugh at the popular vote argument. It's not a good one. We all know how the president is elected. 

Fair enough on calling me out for not knowing that case was pending. I bolded "us" and "we" though because I thought I was talking to you. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

I'll always laugh at the popular vote argument. It's not a good one. We all know how the president is elected. 

Fair enough on calling me out for not knowing that case was pending. I bolded "us" and "we" though because I thought I was talking to you. 
    Yes we know how the president is elected....that doesn't change the fact that 5 of the justices were placed by a president that did not receive the popular vote. That means something to a lot of us.

edited October 2020
    the whole "he lost the popular vote" thing, honestly, just seems like losers trying to take a win when they didn't get one. Trump's campaign knew where he needed to campaign to win the EC. Hillary's didn't and they blew it. 

it's no different than the people whining about republicans using the rules to their full advantage and democrats whining that republicans are being mean. grow a spine and maybe fight. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

the whole "he lost the popular vote" thing, honestly, just seems like losers trying to take a win when they didn't get one. Trump's campaign knew where he needed to campaign to win the EC. Hillary's didn't and they blew it. 
    Right....understood.  No one is arguing that.

The point is that the people should have a hand in who gets placed on the SC.  And in 5 out of 9 cases that didn't happen.

edited October 2020

The point is that the people should have a hand in who gets placed on the SC.  And in 5 out of 9 cases that didn't happen.
    should. of course. and the popular vote should also be the deciding factor. but it isn't. 

I hope democrats actually do something when they control the WH and possibly both chambers instead of sitting on their hands and hoping republicans will do the same the next time they are in power. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2020

Yes we know how the president is elected....that doesn't change the fact that 5 of the justices were placed by a president that did not receive the popular vote. That means something to a lot of us.
    but why should the popular vote mean squat when it doesn't decide the election? I actually believe trump when he says that their campaign would have been wildly different had it been decided on vote count alone. he may have won it that way had it been the rules. so saying he didn't get the popular vote is completely moot. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

should. of course. and the popular vote should also be the deciding factor. but it isn't. 

I hope democrats actually do something when they control the WH and possibly both chambers instead of sitting on their hands and hoping republicans will do the same the next time they are in power. 
    Me too...it's time

and people's voting behaviour even changes based on the EC. people who know their vote doesn't matter don't even bother. that goes for both sides. so the popular vote, in reality, really means absolutely nothing, because everything would be turned on its head if the popular vote were in play. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I’m looking forward to three Muslims and one satanist being added to the court, with liberal biases of course. Like canceling Christmas.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

Well you noted that expanding the court is constitutional. Well so is the president being elected without winning the popular vote. As is the president appointing justices to the supreme court. 

I'm not a fan of the system either, by the way. Not necessarily because the person with less total votes can win, but because it renders so many votes useless. If every vote counted, then general election candidates would have to campaign in non-swing states, which would be good. The people of those states deserve to have their votes mean something. But if the popular vote determined the winner, the results (both electorally and popular-vote wise) could've possibly been different in 2000 and 2016 due to how differently Gore, Bush, Hillary, and Trump would've campaigned. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited October 2020
    i think many of us agree the EC is just plain stupid. one vote should be one vote. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I gotta say, everything I've read about her responses today and yesterday have me impressed. she is way more intellectual than Kavanaugh. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I gotta say, everything I've read about her responses today and yesterday have me impressed. she is way more intellectual than Kavanaugh. 
    She just much more reserved and knows how to say what she needs to. Kavanaugh is a stooge and typical of a white male in power, couldn't handle someone challenging him. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    She just much more reserved and knows how to say what she needs to. Kavanaugh is a stooge and typical of a white male in power, couldn't handle someone challenging him. 
    I've never seen anything like what we witnessed with Kavanaugh. He was off the rails. You'd think a guy who got to the heights of a SCJ would be able to keep it together. Maybe he just set the bar really low. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited October 2020
    tbergs said:
    Yeah never mind that he was being accused of rape, in front of the world, from an alleged incident decades ago, with had no evidence against him except the testimony of the accuser. He's just a typical white male in power acting like one!

Pearl Jam bootlegs: