2021 European Tour Announcement

Comments

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    Plus if they cancel Hyde Park again then I guess we get first dibs on tickets for their week long HP residency in 2022!I 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    pdalowsky said:
    Plus if they cancel Hyde Park again then I guess we get first dibs on tickets for their week long HP residency in 2022!I 
    Loving your thinking LOL
  • I just don’t think it is going to take a vaccine to get back to normal. The WHO estimated 10% of the world population has already got the virus.  They are learning more all the time.  

The world will get back to normal while the at risk population must take necessary precautions. Businesses will take precautions to protect their employees and businesses which provide services to the at risk population will also be diligent. 

Then it comes down to your personal comfort level. If you do not feel comfortable/safe going to a restaurant, bar, or concert - you stay home. 
    If you are a member of the at risk population, you may want to consider your options. 

The fact is, by the summer of 2021, the risk will be lower (Look at the data from this summer) and another 700,000,000 people will have gotten the virus. I could see most of the crowd in masks. It may even be required.  No mask? You gone. 

Please keep in mind, I am not a denier. I know this virus has caused a lot of pain and suffering in the world.  I’m an industrial health & safety advisor so I preach the gospel of personal hygiene, social distancing, wearing a mask consistently to our staff and field workers. We have only recently allowed office workers back in the office (still only half are allowed back at this time.  A friend of mine lost his mother-in-law 🙁.  But we must take a targeted approach going forward. Get your flu shot to get through the winter, if you get the flu and COVID at the same time it’s big trouble 

• Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 268
    edited October 2020
    I just don’t think it is going to take a vaccine to get back to normal. The WHO estimated 10% of the world population has already got the virus.  They are learning more all the time.  

The world will get back to normal while the at risk population must take necessary precautions. Businesses will take precautions to protect their employees and businesses which provide services to the at risk population will also be diligent. 

Then it comes down to your personal comfort level. If you do not feel comfortable/safe going to a restaurant, bar, or concert - you stay home. 
    If you are a member of the at risk population, you may want to consider your options. 

The fact is, by the summer of 2021, the risk will be lower (Look at the data from this summer) and another 700,000,000 people will have gotten the virus. I could see most of the crowd in masks. It may even be required.  No mask? You gone. 

Please keep in mind, I am not a denier. I know this virus has caused a lot of pain and suffering in the world.  I’m an industrial health & safety advisor so I preach the gospel of personal hygiene, social distancing, wearing a mask consistently to our staff and field workers. We have only recently allowed office workers back in the office (still only half are allowed back at this time.  A friend of mine lost his mother-in-law 🙁.  But we must take a targeted approach going forward. Get your flu shot to get through the winter, if you get the flu and COVID at the same time it’s big trouble 

In the absence of a vaccine, the herd immunity approach (while protecting the vulnerable) is the only way to go. And I wonder how long it will take the general public to demand this approach is taken if the wait for a vaccine drags on. But when herd immunity was discussed by the UK government as a potential strategy a few months back there was absolute uproar. 
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on
  • Finally got my LOT refund today 4 months later 
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    Barring a vaccine, shows in summer 2021 won't happen. All the signs point to the second wave being worse than the first for most of Europe at the moment, and there would presumably be a similar slowdown during the summer months, but still not enough to relax restrictions any more than we saw a few months ago. So it's a vaccine or bust. But there's a reasonable chance there will be a vaccine by then - although whether or not it will be available to a sufficient proportion of the population so that shows could still proceed however is another matter....
    I say yer wrong. The virus - like every other respiratory disease - is more prevalent in the winter. Summer it disappears.

Add in herd/community immunity and the vaccine news and this will soon be history. Certainly by July.
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 268
    edited November 2020
    Tjm007 said:
    Barring a vaccine, shows in summer 2021 won't happen. All the signs point to the second wave being worse than the first for most of Europe at the moment, and there would presumably be a similar slowdown during the summer months, but still not enough to relax restrictions any more than we saw a few months ago. So it's a vaccine or bust. But there's a reasonable chance there will be a vaccine by then - although whether or not it will be available to a sufficient proportion of the population so that shows could still proceed however is another matter....
    I say yer wrong. The virus - like every other respiratory disease - is more prevalent in the winter. Summer it disappears.

Add in herd/community immunity and the vaccine news and this will soon be history. Certainly by July.
    Well we've had one summer with covid-19 and while it certainly eased off, it wasnt enough for the powers that be to allow shows to take place. No reason to think it'll be any different in summer 2021 as we'll still be well short of herd immunity, which requires about 95% of the population to be immune. But things are looking positive for a vaccine so fingers crossed. Once the most vulnerable are vaccinated, I think they'll start opening things up in a serious way. 
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2020
    Tjm007 said:

Well we've had one summer with covid-19 and while it certainly eased off, it wasnt enough for the powers that be to allow shows to take place. No reason to think it'll be any different in summer 2021 as we'll still be well short of herd immunity, which requires about 95% of the population to be immune. But things are looking positive for a vaccine so fingers crossed. Once the most vulnerable are vaccinated, I think they'll start opening things up in a serious way. 
    I’m with you... but still think concerts will be a go in summer 2021
  • not really seeing the shows happening next summer but just in case i did finally book a hotel (refundable of course) for prague. i wish i would have gotten one closer to the venue but I was too late. that one hotel right by the arena is of course fully booked and the other one that's close by is too expensive for my budget.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited November 2020
    CarisaJ said:
    not really seeing the shows happening next summer but just in case i did finally book a hotel (refundable of course) for prague. i wish i would have gotten one closer to the venue but I was too late. that one hotel right by the arena is of course fully booked and the other one that's close by is too expensive for my budget.
    I am no expert on Prague but 2018 it was super easy to get back to the city centre after the show. We booked there. 

Pretty hard not to get excited from this news. Europe 2021 is definitely happening if we keep moving at the speed that we are. 
  • PJNB said:

Pretty hard not to get excited from this news. Europe 2021 is definitely happening if we keep moving at the speed that we are. 
    The problem may be administering it quickly enough for next summer to be back to normal but let's hope it can be done 
    edited November 2020
    PJNB said:

The problem may be administering it quickly enough for next summer to be back to normal but let's hope it can be done 
    I agree completely but if it is readily available to all that want it by April that means that the old/sick/vulnerable have already gotten their shot. If that is the case then they have already protected the most important part of the community. That is huge and ahead of even my optimistic schedule if true. 
  • I think it boils down to one question.  Will you go to an arena and be there with 10 or 15k people for 2 hours. Or an outdoor gig. Vaccine or not I wont be. its not worth it. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • eboweddie said:
    I think it boils down to one question.  Will you go to an arena and be there with 10 or 15k people for 2 hours. Or an outdoor gig. Vaccine or not I wont be. its not worth it. 
    Good point I guess I will decide in March before the refund cut off
    edited November 2020
    eboweddie said:
    I think it boils down to one question.  Will you go to an arena and be there with 10 or 15k people for 2 hours. Or an outdoor gig. Vaccine or not I wont be. its not worth it. 
    What is not worth it? The vaccine is out. It works. We can have shows again. Pearl Jam is not having shows unless they think it is safe too so if they are having shows why would you not go? I am not trying to cause a fight/argument asking this I am very interested what would stop you. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • What if the vaccine doesn't work on a small amount of people.  Going to a large convert exposes fans to contracting covid who wont be vaccinated.  I just mean that by staying away minimises the risk. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • I am inclined to attend shows, possibly with mask, once there is a vaccine.  I think the reason some people might not is that if the vaccine is 90% effective, that means it’s 10% ineffective.  This might be an oversimplification but to me that suggests 1/10 people could still catch the virus if exposed, but of course if everyone has had the vaccine there shouldn’t be that many people who are contagious.  Nonetheless I could see some people wanting to stay away.  

I have so many tickets for Europe, but am beginning to think that becomes 2022.  With all the countries involved, and people criss-crossing the continent, too many things have to go right with implementing the vaccine in so many countries.  I think USA and possibly Canada next fall is a safer bet as it provides more time to get the vaccine done and only involves one or two countries.  I hope I’m wrong.  Amsterdam on June 16 would be awesome.  I just don’t know.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    While things will hopefully return to some sort of normality by Summer next year I personally think we are going to need a bit more time. Time to adjust, venues arent going to go from zero to 10,000, vaccines would need to be rolled out across all countries and for cases to drop to a very low level. Until that happens I cant see arena's being filled and foreign travel back to normal. I would rather they cancel and we could have 2022 to look forward to. Ive got a ticket for Vienna, bought direct from the Venue, no monetary refund. Would rather 2021 is just a period of adjustment and then I could make proper plans for 2022.
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    edited November 2020
    eboweddie said:
    Yup ,  sign me up 
    Post edited by D-Rod on
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
    FR181798 said:
    While things will hopefully return to some sort of normality by Summer next year I personally think we are going to need a bit more time. Time to adjust, venues arent going to go from zero to 10,000, vaccines would need to be rolled out across all countries and for cases to drop to a very low level. Until that happens I cant see arena's being filled and foreign travel back to normal. I would rather they cancel and we could have 2022 to look forward to. Ive got a ticket for Vienna, bought direct from the Venue, no monetary refund. Would rather 2021 is just a period of adjustment and then I could make proper plans for 2022.
    50% of EU and NA population are going to refuse the vaccine. That is a given. Then there will be others that want it but want to wait a year or two since its "new". Unless we have a global wide mandatory vaccine cases are always going to be around until we build enough of the population up to the herd immunity with cases/vaccines. Then of course it could be a yearly strain that needs a vaccine annually like the flu shot. Then what? 

The bottom line for me is if the news is correct I would go to a concert no problem. If we have a working vaccine that is 90% effective and it has already been given to the old/sick/vulnerable and is now available to anyone that wants it in April the shows can go on at full capacity as far as I am concerned. If that is not what we have been waiting for what is it? 

I am hopefully not coming off strong with my messaging for those that are hesitant or thinking we need longer time to go back to normal. I get it and respect that opinion. However I just do not see still holding up normal life if, and its a big if, the news is right and the vaccine can be given to you and I in April. 
  • PJNB said:
    CarisaJ said:
    not really seeing the shows happening next summer but just in case i did finally book a hotel (refundable of course) for prague. i wish i would have gotten one closer to the venue but I was too late. that one hotel right by the arena is of course fully booked and the other one that's close by is too expensive for my budget.
    I am no expert on Prague but 2018 it was super easy to get back to the city centre after the show. We booked there. 
    Prague trains are the best in the world for post show transportation anywhere in the world I’ve been. Simply world class. They are lined up. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

I would go to a concert tomorrow with a mask.  I may quarantine afterwards and work from home for a week, but I have zero personal concern based on the percentage of serious cases and my age/health.   I'm also single with no kids so I don't have any concerns from that perspective. My concern would be if I would need to be around high risk individuals and I can control that. 

That said, I put the Euro tour at 55/45 right now.  Like someone said they can't just turn the switch back on right away.  I don't think the vaccine will roll out fast enough and there are so many countries involved.  Perhaps 80% of the tour happens and 20% gets canceled. 

• The UK plans to administer 1 million doses per week so wont be done by the summer if that is what actually happens would make hyde park at least touch and go 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    If shows were happening I think I would go. I just think that summer 21 is too early even with a vaccine coming soon. Especially with the logistics of administering a vaccine to millions of people and being in Europe and having to cross multiple borders.
    2022 is a way safer bet if you don’t want half empty arenas because people are scared or haven’t been selected for the vaccine yet because they’re not a risk group 
    The UK plans to administer 1 million doses per week so wont be done by the summer if that is what actually happens would make hyde park at least touch and go 
    There are 66 million people in the UK. How is that not enough time if there is a vaccine by the end of the year? 
  • PJNB said:
    The UK plans to administer 1 million doses per week so wont be done by the summer if that is what actually happens would make hyde park at least touch and go 
    There are 66 million people in the UK. How is that not enough time if there is a vaccine by the end of the year? 
    That's 66 weeks it's only about 30 odd till hyde park 
    edited November 2020
    PJNB said:
    ya my math was off lol. I was thinking 66 days. The question remains how many people need to be vaccinated to return to normal. Going to be interesting to see how each country does things when this starts to roll out.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    ya my math was off lol. I was thinking 66 days. The question remains how many people need to be vaccinated to return to normal. Going to be interesting to see how each country does things when this starts to roll out.
    Obviously not everyone that's why I think it will be touch and go if they do enough to feel things can open up more 
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Obviously not everyone that's why I think it will be touch and go if they do enough to feel things can open up more 
    Euro 2021 will be the biggest tell of what will happen for PJ next summer I think. If they have full and packed stadiums then obviously Pearl Jam would probably follow suit. That is what I will be watching in the early months of 2021 and see what they are leaning towards doing. Also though in Japan the summer Olympics will say a lot too. 

This discussion has been closed.