*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,203
    Fun Fact: Shamet was 3/7 from 3 tonight  :)

Fun Fact again: Shamet is making about 1/15 of Tobi’s salary and still has his prime ahead of him  :)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    just gonna leave this here and we'll see you guys next year...

This weekend we rock Portland
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    Poncier said:
    just gonna leave this here and we'll see you guys next year...

Congrats.  You son of a bitch. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    Fun Fact: Shamet was 3/7 from 3 tonight  :)

Fun Fact again: Shamet is making about 1/15 of Tobi’s salary and still has his prime ahead of him  :)
    Including Shamet in that Harris trade is one of the underrated moves I really regret. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,819
    Wow Brett Brown fired!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Wow Brett Brown fired!
    I think that was expected at this point. I think they should have also gotten rid of Brand and all the Colangelo hold overs. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah not too shocked at Brown, but Juggs is right, I think Brand should go to, in fact I'd say he's more responsible for the Sixers' underachievement than Brown.
    Poncier said:
    Yeah not too shocked at Brown, but Juggs is right, I think Brand should go to, in fact I'd say he's more responsible for the Sixers' underachievement than Brown.
    Should've pried Mike Zarren away from Danny Ainge's cold dead hands a couple years ago!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Poncier said:
    Should've pried Mike Zarren away from Danny Ainge's cold dead hands a couple years ago!
    Yeah I guess so, just wasn’t really expecting it that soon I suppose 

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    I don’t think Brett Brown is as bad as a coach as Sixers fans think. That being said it was time to go in a new direction.  Seems like Brand will survive but not as GM.  They could use some professionalism in the organization but that can be hard to achieve when one of your primary owners is out partying with players. Regardless if the hires the owners are Dbags. Of course one is a nova guy so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at their douche-baggery. 

Please hire Jay Wright 🙏
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,203
    I’ve been getting into sneaker collecting lately. Mostly Jordan’s, but there was a 25th anniversary release of Iverson’s first shoe, the Reebok Question Mid, that I had to jump on. I was born in 92, so I didn’t start following the Sixers/Iverson until the late 90s/early 2000s, so I can’t say that the shoes themselves are nostalgic for me. 

But when I opened that box and saw that “I3” logo, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was so obsessed with Iverson as a kid. I would beg my parents to buy me anything that had that I3 logo on it. I would wear an Iverson jersey to school every Friday and get made fun of for it, but I didn’t care because he was the best and the coolest and no one was going to tell me otherwise. My racist family members would give me shit and tell me to pick a different favorite player because they didn’t like the way he dressed or talked or acted. 

He’s certainly made some questionable decisions off the court, some very recently actually, but my god was he fucking fun to watch. I only wish I could have been living in Philly and actually had a way to watch those games growing up instead of waiting for the highlights on Sportscenter every morning. 

Tyronn Lue?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Tyronn Lue?
    Can't imagine he'd be any good without Lebron telling him what to do.
    Doc Rivers over D'Antoni. All day long. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    I don't love Rivers, but I'd take him over both of the other options any day.
    I don't love him either but I really do not like D'Antoni. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    I don't love him either but I really do not like D'Antoni. 

I'm with you on D'Antnio.

I like Doc.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,764
    Yeah I think I go 1) Doc 2) Lue 3) D'Antoni; seems like the Doc news just keeps gaining steam. Fingers still crossed that Morey bails out of Houston.
    Yeah I think I go 1) Doc 2) Lue 3) D'Antoni; seems like the Doc news just keeps gaining steam. Fingers still crossed that Morey bails out of Houston.
    Yeah they watched game 1 with him last night. I think Lue might be going to the Clippers. 

I'd like Morey but think there is less than a zero percent chance he comes here. I'm still waiting to announce that they've gotten rid of all of Colangelo's guys in the front office though. No idea what is taking so long. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah they watched game 1 with him last night. I think Lue might be going to the Clippers. 

I'd like Morey but think there is less than a zero percent chance he comes here. I'm still waiting to announce that they've gotten rid of all of Colangelo's guys in the front office though. No idea what is taking so long. 
    I would hope Brand goes, too. I remember my old boss being super pumped about this hire, trying to convince me that GMs don't do the work anymore and are more player relations guys, hence Brand. Suffice to say I promptly loss part of the respect I had for his input on the NBA.

Lue makes sense in LA since they're almost there, but certainly similar to the Sixers in some ways - though, the Sixers I think are more in the middle of a fucking existential crisis... so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would hope Brand goes, too. I remember my old boss being super pumped about this hire, trying to convince me that GMs don't do the work anymore and are more player relations guys, hence Brand. Suffice to say I promptly loss part of the respect I had for his input on the NBA.

Lue makes sense in LA since they're almost there, but certainly similar to the Sixers in some ways - though, the Sixers I think are more in the middle of a fucking existential crisis... so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    They've already said they are keeping Brand. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Well, this is all just ridiculous I'd say.
    https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/doc-rivers-philadelphia-76ers-coach-20201001.html?outputType=amp&__vfz=medium=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true&s=03

What will it take for Doc Rivers to become the Sixers' new head coach?

by Keith PompeyUpdated: October 1, 2020 - 3:13 P

It’s clear that Doc Rivers is now the leading candidate for the 76ers' head coaching job, and that a deal could be imminent.

A league source said the Sixers and Rivers are working through details and the job is his to turn down. The former Los Angeles Clippers coach interviewed on Wednesday. Sources confirmed that he watched the Los Angeles Lakers defeat the Miami Heat in Game 1 of the NBA Finals with the Sixers owners that night.

One source said that Rivers wasn’t going to leave town without an offer. Another source said the expectation is the Sixers will announce Rivers as their next coach. The team had intended to make the coaching hire as early as Thursday.

Yet as of early Thursday afternoon, he was publicly regarded as just the favorite to get the job. Mike D’Antoni, the former coach of the Houston Rockets, remains a candidate. Former Clippers assistant Ty Lue is out of the mix.

So what’s the holdup, considering there’s mutual interest on both sides? Could they be negotiating?

With the Clippers, Rivers had a say in personnel decisions.

It’s no secret that the Sixers are looking to add basketball minds to their front office. The team has said it is looking for an addition that would rank below general manager Elton Brand.

This comes after multiple league sources had said the team was inquiring about the possibility of hiring a president of basketball operations.

But could Rivers' background as a former coach/president of basketball operations change the Sixers' mindset? He might have the leverage in getting what he wants. He checks all the credibility boxes.

The 58-year-old won the NBA coach of the year in 2000 as head coach of the Orlando Magic. Eight years later, he led the Boston Celtics to the NBA title. Rivers is widely respected around the league, and had a hand in changing the culture with the Clippers.

Los Angeles acquired him on June 25, 2013 in a trade from the Celtics for an unprotected 2015 NBA first-round draft pick. He was named the Clippers coach and senior vice president of basketball operations. Rivers led the Clippers to a franchise-record 57 wins and the third seed in the Western Conference during his first season with the Clippers.

However, his toughest battle and perhaps accomplishment was keeping the team together after TMZ released an audiotape containing racially insensitive remarks by then-Clippers owner Donald Sterling during the 2014 first-round playoffs vs. the Golden State Warriors.

The team promoted him to president of basketball operations/coach on June 16, 2014. He had final say of basketball matters.

Rivers gave up his president position on Aug. 4, 2017, but continued to split responsibility for basketball matters with Lawrence Frank, the executive vice president of basketball operations.

Rivers may want to have a say on his roster and decision-making, especially when he has some leverage.

The New Orleans Pelicans are also interested in him. Rivers is owed more than $18 million in the final two seasons of his Clippers contract. He could opt to sit out the next two seasons and collect his money if a deal isn’t to his liking.

In order to bring on a coach of Rivers' status might require a huge investment in regards to contract, staff and player-personnel decisions even if it doesn’t come with a title.

Plus, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Wednesday the league is in discussions with the six NBA teams with head-coaching openings to make sure there is a diverse set of candidates.

There are only four Black head coaches in the 30-team league after Rivers, Nate McMillian and Alvin Gentry, who are Black, were recently fired.

“There is a certain natural ebb and flow to the hiring and firing, frankly, of coaches, but the number is too low right now,” Silver said. “And again, I think we should — let’s talk again after we fill these six positions and see where we are, because I know we can do better, and I think we will do better.”

by Keith Pompey
    Updated: October 1, 2020 - 3:13 PM
    Keith Pompey | @PompeyOnSixers | kpompey@inquirer.com

Well, this is all just ridiculous I'd say.
    So the next best thing is kicking out all of the Colangelo knuckleheads who should not have been kept in the first place. The longer this goes, though, the more I feel like they're staying unfortunately. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Doc rivers officially our coach now
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Doc rivers officially our coach now
    Yes they have

Alright giddy up Doc. Let's figure out a way to get this train back on track now. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    “bad things happen in philadelphia”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/jj-redick-philadelphia-sixers-f-ed-up-not-bringing-back/564880

JJ Redick says Sixers ‘f—ed up’ by not bringing him back

October 2, 2020

The Philadelphia 76ers fared notably worse this season than they did last season, and JJ Redick seems to think that his departure had something to do with it.

The New Orleans Pelicans guard appeared this week on the “All the Smoke” podcast. In the interview, Redick clowned the Sixers for not re-signing him.

“They f—ed up not bringing me back, man,” said Redick. “They f—ed up not bringing me back.

“I think they probably realized they needed a little more shooting,” he went on. “The thing with me in Philly though, it wasn’t just about the shooting. You need people in the locker room. You just need those guys. I’m friends, I literally was texting with Ben [Simmons] and Jo[el Embiid] the other day. We don’t consider the relationship part of it as much as we should.”

Redick, 36, was on the Sixers for two seasons from 2017 to 2019. They won a playoff series in each of those years but got swept out of the first round this year. The Sixers proved to have a tough time replicating both Redick’s floor-spacing ability in the starting lineup as well as his steady veteran leadership.

Redick went on to sign with the Pelicans but ended up missing the playoffs for the first time in his career. He previously stated that he wanted to retire with the Sixers, and it looks like both sides were worse off after the split.