Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    brianlux said:
    Though, I will say honoring John Lewis would be very appropriate and powerful.  Forget the old school normal names, let start honoring those that have been working in real time as well.
    This!  I thought of Lewis after I posted but was already half way out the door.  That is an excellent suggestion.

They’re changing a school named after Robert E. Lee to Lewis....

https://www.brproud.com/news/virginia-board-changes-schools-name-from-robert-e-lee-to-john-lewis/amp/
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited July 2020
    Yes, BLM.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    They have replaced a Robert e Lee statue with a George Floyd hologram in Richmond..

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I think it's ridiculous that George Floyd is being used as a figure to represent African American pride.  Yes, it's tragic that he was murdered- absolutely!  But was the man a hero?  Did he accomplish great things in his life?  No, he was not.  He was a victim, yes, but a great man?  No. Why instead do they not raise statues of true African American heroes?  I could name dozens.  Anyone here (I hope) could name at least several.
    You don't have to be a great man to inspire positive change. If he inspires a movement that makes lives better, saves lives and helps create a more just society...that qualifies as a hero in my book.

Floyd did nothing to inspire change.  If that's what we're basing it on, maybe put up a statue of the person who took the video that brought this incident to light.

I stand by my thinking.  How many statues of Ida B. Wells have we seen?  Or Frederick Douglas?  Thurgood Marshall?  Harriet Tubman?  Duke Ellington?  These are the people who deserve our praise, not some less than average guy who just happened to be a victim of police violence.
    I agree with this. But honestly would be afraid to post it on FB or many other places, and think a lot of people would be angered just by reading Floyd wasn’t a hero.

I also think most heroes aren’t really heroes, just right place right time. Like capt Sully. Good pilot? Yes. Hero? I don’t know, what choices did he have? Crash the plane or make a water landing. I think he made the choice most good pilots would make. 99% of pilots will never be put in that situation and ever given the chance though.

Is rather put up a statue of someone who did have a choice, like some of the ones you mentioned for example.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    They have replaced a Robert e Lee statue with a George Floyd hologram in Richmond..

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I think it's ridiculous that George Floyd is being used as a figure to represent African American pride.  Yes, it's tragic that he was murdered- absolutely!  But was the man a hero?  Did he accomplish great things in his life?  No, he was not.  He was a victim, yes, but a great man?  No. Why instead do they not raise statues of true African American heroes?  I could name dozens.  Anyone here (I hope) could name at least several.
    You don't have to be a great man to inspire positive change. If he inspires a movement that makes lives better, saves lives and helps create a more just society...that qualifies as a hero in my book.

Floyd did nothing to inspire change.  If that's what we're basing it on, maybe put up a statue of the person who took the video that brought this incident to light.

I stand by my thinking.  How many statues of Ida B. Wells have we seen?  Or Frederick Douglas?  Thurgood Marshall?  Harriet Tubman?  Duke Ellington?  These are the people who deserve our praise, not some less than average guy who just happened to be a victim of police violence.
    I agree with this. But honestly would be afraid to post it on FB or many other places, and think a lot of people would be angered just by reading Floyd wasn’t a hero.

I also think most heroes aren’t really heroes, just right place right time. Like capt Sully. Good pilot? Yes. Hero? I don’t know, what choices did he have? Crash the plane or make a water landing. I think he made the choice most good pilots would make. 99% of pilots will never be put in that situation and ever given the chance though.

Is rather put up a statue of someone who did have a choice, like some of the ones you mentioned for example.

One doesn't need to be a hero to inspire change. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited July 2020
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:

True. But it seems to me many are treating him as a hero. And maybe he is to some. But to me heroes and those deserving of statues are more than wrong place wrong time.
    My point being if there’s going to be statues I think someone like Harriet Tubman is a more important figure and most kids don’t even know who she was. Memorialize her first.

Edit: after further thought I take back what I said. We memorialize victims all the time in tragedies (school shootings, etc) This was a tragedy that fueled a nation wide movement. A memorial would be fitting. It’s just frustrating that many people don’t know other important historical figures too like the ones mentioned before.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    edited July 2020
    Yes, black lives matter.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Well, I hate pissing people off.  Apparently, speaking my mind does that sometime.  That sucks.

So here's what I'm going to do on this thread from now on:  I've edited out my posts from today.   Now, because  black lives do matter to me, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing since the George Floyd incident occurred, which is to better educate myself about some black lives that have done great things in America to make black people's lives better and to enrich ours.  I'll occasionally report back by posting things I've learned about African Americans that inform, teach, and inspire.

Books are always a great place to start, and one of the best books I've read lately is Arthur Taylor's Notes and Tones, which is a collection of interviews black jazz drummer Taylor did with several prominent black (mostly jazz) musicians.  One of the things that makes this book very much worth checking out is that not only does Taylor ask questions about music (a favorite subject for me), but he also discusses quite a bit about race, equality and justice as it pertains to African Americans in general.  This book is a great way for music fans to get some good background information about black issues in America.  Highly recommended!

Another excellent source of black history education for me is the excellent film, "Marshall", a movie based on true story about one of the great black heroes in America, black NAACP lawyer Thurgood Marshall.  An excellent movie!
    Marshall 2017 - IMDb

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:
    Well, I hate pissing people off.  Apparently, speaking my mind does that sometime.  That sucks.

So here's what I'm going to do on this thread from now on:  I've edited out my posts from today.   Now, because  black lives do matter to me, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing since the George Floyd incident occurred, which is to better educate myself about some black lives that have done great things in America to make black people's lives better and to enrich ours.  I'll occasionally report back by posting things I've learned about African Americans that inform, teach, and inspire.

Books are always a great place to start, and one of the best books I've read lately is Arthur Taylor's Notes and Tones, which is a collection of interviews black jazz drummer Taylor did with several prominent black (mostly jazz) musicians.  One of the things that makes this book very much worth checking out is that not only does Taylor ask questions about music (a favorite subject for me), but he also discusses quite a bit about race, equality and justice as it pertains to African Americans in general.  This book is a great way for music fans to get some good background information about black issues in America.  Highly recommended!

Another excellent source of black history education for me is the excellent film, "Marshall", a movie based on true story about one of the great black heroes in America, black NAACP lawyer Thurgood Marshall.  An excellent movie!
    Marshall 2017 - IMDb

I don't think anyone was pissed off, I know I wasn't. Just disagreed with your assessment. I do that with everyone from time to time. We did it respectably, no need to edit your posts.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:

Marshall 2017 - IMDb

I don't think anyone was pissed off, I know I wasn't. Just disagreed with your assessment. I do that with everyone from time to time. We did it respectably, no need to edit your posts.
    Agreed.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited July 2020
    Why self-censor? Is it better to not speak your mind and have a few disagree, or never offer your opinion so everyone is “happy”?

(Not an attack on you, but I find the act to be shortchanging oneself.)
    hedonist said:
    Why self-censor? Is it better to not speak your mind and have a few disagree, or never offer your opinion so everyone is “happy”?

I agree, and that's cool what you're saying.  The thing is, this is such a touchy subject and the point I was trying to make is REALLY hard to get across clearly.  I could keep trying but it occurred to me that the better thing to do at this point is move on.  That, and I've really been digging learning about some very cool African American people lately.  Marshall blew my mind.  What force of nature that dude was!  And all those black jazz musicians- wow- ultra cool!  And I loved it that in Notes and Tones, Taylor gave great interviews with some of the finest ladies in jazz and vocal music- Carmen McRae, Nina Simone, Betty Carter.  Hot damn!  Brilliant! 

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:

True. But it seems to me many are treating him as a hero. And maybe he is to some. But to me heroes and those deserving of statues are more than wrong place wrong time.
    My point being if there’s going to be statues I think someone like Harriet Tubman is a more important figure and most kids don’t even know who she was. Memorialize her first.

Edit: after further thought I take back what I said. We memorialize victims all the time in tragedies (school shootings, etc) This was a tragedy that fueled a nation wide movement. A memorial would be fitting. It’s just frustrating that many people don’t know other important historical figures too like the ones mentioned before.

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:

On December 6, 1989, a bitter misogynist who is not worth naming went to L’École Polytechniqué, the engineering school affiliated with the Université de Montréal. He entered a classroom, told the male and female students to separate into two groups, and told the men to leave. He then stated he was “fighting feminism” and opened fire, killing six of the nine women in the room, after which he ranged through the corridors, shooting at women and killing another eight before killing himself. It is believed that he targeted women because he could not accept that women could have careers, particularly skilled jobs. 

That was the deadliest mass shooting to date in Canada and had a massive impact on our country. December 6th is still recognized every year as the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women. In addition to bringing attention to violence against women, it led to changes in gun control laws and procedures for how police respond to mass shootings, including school shootings. 

All of those women were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. None of them were heroes in any traditional sense. The events of their deaths raised awareness of serious issues in society, and they are still remembered today, both in multiple fixed memorials across the country and in ceremonies and marches every December. 

I'm tempted to put this one in "Other Music" but I think it belongs here (I'll explain).

We just finished watching this excellent biopic about James Brown, "Get On Up":
    Get On Up 2014 - Rotten Tomatoes

Great movie, really well done! 

The man was a genius, he was driven, he was relentless.  The man also had his faults, no doubt. He was a real mixed bag in terms of doing good yet also being harmful to some of those around him.  He was a dangerous and abusive man.

But as his music relates to BLM, he contributions would well be recognized.   I remember Brown's influence on culture in the 60's and 70's quite clearly.  When JB was in his hey day, songs like (and especially) "Say it Loud- I'm Black and I'm Proud" moved mountains.  You could see the change that music made in people.  You could feel the change happening.  And you could definitely hear it.  The movie covers a lot of territory in Brown's life, so it's not primarily about  black pride.  But when that part of his career was happening, the impact on society and black culture and pride was monumental.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    Shaun king is the worst. Did he ever fix the “unarmed “ part?

https://m.facebook.com/shaunking/posts/3354623244576570
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Disgusting. That's some serious southern pride right there.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    dignin said:
    He shouldn’t be out there doing that. Did you see how he caused all that agitation? Those people might have burned down that wal mart or something. I hope he learns to stay home and be quiet.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©

Brilliantati©
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

I agree, and that's cool what you're saying.  The thing is, this is such a touchy subject and the point I was trying to make is REALLY hard to get across clearly.  I could keep trying but it occurred to me that the better thing to do at this point is move on.  That, and I've really been digging learning about some very cool African American people lately.  Marshall blew my mind.  What force of nature that dude was!  And all those black jazz musicians- wow- ultra cool!  And I loved it that in Notes and Tones, Taylor gave great interviews with some of the finest ladies in jazz and vocal music- Carmen McRae, Nina Simone, Betty Carter.  Hot damn!  Brilliant! 

dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:

In the end it doesn't matter how you or I feel about him. His death did inspire hundreds of thousands to get out and march for change, that is not really debatable. Who am I to know or tell what motivates other people. He didn't inspire you? Fine, that's cool, but you don't speak for everyone.

I don't really think it's fair to call the guy less than average either. Unless, of course, you knew him personally.
    Brian - I appreciate your willingness to speak your mind.  It opens discussion.  That is a good thing.  I personally think it was a good discussion to have. Because it is often brought up.  And people do use the past life of these victims as a reason that it's ok they died (not that you were).  My initial knee jerk reaction to these events is similar.  I've tried to step back and listen more.  The BLM org doesn't get to pick their martyrs, their symbols, etc.  Generally it's white people of power that do so through their interactions with the victims. 
    hippiemom = goodness

Brian - I appreciate your willingness to speak your mind.  It opens discussion.  That is a good thing.  I personally think it was a good discussion to have. Because it is often brought up.  And people do use the past life of these victims as a reason that it's ok they died (not that you were).  My initial knee jerk reaction to these events is similar.  I've tried to step back and listen more.  The BLM org doesn't get to pick their martyrs, their symbols, etc.  Generally it's white people of power that do so through their interactions with the victims. 
    Good points Cincy.

Basically, what I was trying to say is that once the dust settles, I think it's more important to recognize those who made progress. 

"We should have statues of Charlie Parker and Miles Davis in every square."
    -Freddie Hubbard, October 18, 1971

The death of Charlie Parker - and his New York afterlife - TelegraphVisit the Miles Davis Statue in Downtown Alton IL

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:

Good points Cincy.

Basically, what I was trying to say is that once the dust settles, I think it's more important to recognize those who made progress. 

I agree.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Anyone feel like a boycott? Or would that be too much cancel culture?

Brilliantati©
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889

*But we have to let them have a space for their views or else we aren’t an open and free society.* Sarcasm
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889

I’m down to cancel any idiot that says and does some dumb shit
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    Federal officers have largely withdrawn from Portland and violence is basically absent from recent nights of protest. Governor Brown tweeted “Last night, the world was watching Portland,“ Brown said in a tweet Friday. “Here’s what they saw: Federal troops left downtown. Local officials protected free speech. And Oregonians spoke out for Black Lives Matter, racial justice, and police accountability.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/01/portland-1000-peacefully-protest-amid-withdrawal-of-federal-agents
    dignin said:
    He shouldn’t be out there doing that. Did you see how he caused all that agitation? Those people might have burned down that wal mart or something. I hope he learns to stay home and be quiet.
    Instigating white supremacists got this reaction? Weird. Hope he gets a lot of likes for that. What exactly does this prove? That humans are racist? Or only white people are? If I go into my local ghetto with a “back the blue sign” and got called racist names and got a gun pulled on me would I be considered courageous? Or a fucking idiot? Racism exists everywhere in the world , on all sides. Is this “shining a light” on racism? Or exploiting it to go viral? 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited August 2020
    Federal officers have largely withdrawn from Portland and violence is basically absent from recent nights of protest. Governor Brown tweeted “Last night, the world was watching Portland,“ Brown said in a tweet Friday. “Here’s what they saw: Federal troops left downtown. Local officials protected free speech. And Oregonians spoke out for Black Lives Matter, racial justice, and police accountability.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/01/portland-1000-peacefully-protest-amid-withdrawal-of-federal-agents
    All part of the plan.

nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    Instigating white supremacists got this reaction? Weird. Hope he gets a lot of likes for that. What exactly does this prove? That humans are racist? Or only white people are? If I go into my local ghetto with a “back the blue sign” and got called racist names and got a gun pulled on me would I be considered courageous? Or a fucking idiot? Racism exists everywhere in the world , on all sides. Is this “shining a light” on racism? Or exploiting it to go viral? 
    Instigating by holding a sign? Just how snowy of flakes are we talking about here?

”local ghetto”? Super fucking classy way to open your deflection. 

BLM is getting unwitting endorsements from Repubes today over Meyers Leonard standing for the anthem. The tunnel vision is stunning.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    DewieCox said:

All part of the plan.

nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    Instigating by holding a sign? Just how snowy of flakes are we talking about here?

”local ghetto”? Super fucking classy way to open your deflection. 
    Deflecting by making a comparison? Answer me this. What was the point of holding a black lives matter sign in KKK county? Reactions? Likes? Viral? I’m just trying to understand what we learned from this. Did he think they would say “hey you know what, you’re right”. These videos just come off as disingenuous and a way to bring attention to themselves rather than the actual cause. It’s my opinion.