so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    RiotZact said:
    ^Yellow mustard is the shit on hot dogs though. I always order my fast food burgers with just cheese. Fuck all that other nonsense. 
    @dankind introduced me to beer mustard.

Yellow mustard on hot dogs is acceptable to me only if there are no other options

Hot dog
    Chopped onion
    Some variety of mustard - beer, stone, spicy, etc

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    When I'm making cheeseburger acceptable condiments &toppings to me are bbq sauce, mayo, hot sauce like a Texas Pete, relish, mustard. Not all at the same time (I mean maybe), onions/lettuce/tomato.

But back to the topic at hand - ketchup on a cheesesteak is acceptable, especially with whiz. Next time anyone goes to Pat's the combo is the Heart Attack (three cheeses) wit, cheese fries, Cherry Coke. And the acceptable time of day is 2:30am.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    That sounds like a great order.
    230 AM is awesome
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    My wife puts mustard on hamburgers, so I guess I could see people doing it.  
    Yuck.
    Mustard on a burger is a must for this guy. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Poncier said:
    Yuck.
    All the big fast food burger places (McD's the King, Wendy's) put ketchup, mustard, pickles and onions on burgers, I don't bother with putting in a special order when I get one, but always wish the mustard wasn't there...doesn't belong. And BK seems to put way too much of it.
    Plus its always the yellow mustard, which frankly sucks. Brown mustard like Guldens at the very least (if not something more exotic/spicy) or GTFO.
    Light mayo, light yellow mustard, and light ketchup is the perfect trifecta for a burger. You're crazy. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    A Cheese Steak to me:   Cheese &  Steak on a roll.

No  added shit>LOL
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    cutz said:
    A Cheese Steak to me:   Cheese &  Steak on a roll.

No  added shit>LOL
    Same
    Onions are a key, to me.  I'll eat one and enjoy witout but I want one wit

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Poncier said:
    Yuck.
    All the big fast food burger places (McD's the King, Wendy's) put ketchup, mustard, pickles and onions on burgers, I don't bother with putting in a special order when I get one, but always wish the mustard wasn't there...doesn't belong. And BK seems to put way too much of it.
    Plus its always the yellow mustard, which frankly sucks. Brown mustard like Guldens at the very least (if not something more exotic/spicy) or GTFO.
    You're crazy. 
    I've never claimed otherwise.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Awesome cheese steak I had today for lunch.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Can someone explain the word “wit” to me? I’ve seen it used a few times. When I order a sausage at a ballgame I’ll simply say “one with.”  They know to add grilled onions. Just using that as an example. I assume same concept, just different word? 
    bbiggs said:
    Can someone explain the word “wit” to me? I’ve seen it used a few times. When I order a sausage at a ballgame I’ll simply say “one with.”  They know to add grilled onions. Just using that as an example. I assume same concept, just different word? 
    Same thing. Wit = With. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    But wit is a thing?  Like it's actually spelled and pronounced that way? 
    That is a Philly thing.  I say with but I've only lived in the area for 8 years, all as an adult.
    The locals say it that way.
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah. It's just slang.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    ^ Thanks.  Figured that was the case. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    bbiggs said:
    The Philly accent is a hidden secret.  Boston takes the cake, but Philly ain't that far behind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lZFiyd_-0
    bbiggs said:
    The Philly accent is a hidden secret.  Boston takes the cake, but Philly ain't that far behind

Lol! That’s crazy. Had no idea. Dude sounds like he’s from Ireland almost. It’s a unique accent 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah. It's just slang.

like jawn
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah. It's just slang.
    Slang or not being able to pronounce letters 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    bbiggs said:

Philly definitely has a unique accent. My grandparents lived there so I visited quite a bit as a kid. Baltimore also has a distinctive accent. I grew up in Maryland, but near DC. Baltimore is a much different accent than what I grew up with. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    GlowGirl said:
    No condiments on a cheesesteak, ketchup is possibly allowed in small amounts. Mayo is legal on chicken cheesesteaks tho. Thems the rules.
    This morning, I saw someone post a picture on twitter of mustard on his cheesesteak. 
    Mustard - NO. But if I said I liked a bit of steak sauce on my cheesesteak would the mocking begin :)

You glow, girl.
    Fixed 😛
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    GlowGirl said:
    No condiments on a cheesesteak, ketchup is possibly allowed in small amounts. Mayo is legal on chicken cheesesteaks tho. Thems the rules.
    This morning, I saw someone post a picture on twitter of mustard on his cheesesteak. 
    Mustard - NO. But if I said I liked a bit of steak sauce on my cheesesteak would the mocking begin :)

You glow, girl.
    Fixed 😛
    😂
    GlowGirl said:
    bbiggs said:

Philly definitely has a unique accent. My grandparents lived there so I visited quite a bit as a kid. Baltimore also has a distinctive accent. I grew up in Maryland, but near DC. Baltimore is a much different accent than what I grew up with. 
    I could sure go for a glass of wooter right now
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Philly and Baltimore are definitely more cousins than with NYC or Boston. The accents aren't that far off from one another. Long on the ohhhhhhs.
    Wobbie said:
    Moochies. Salt Lake City.

Although this cheesesteak looks like poop, I did happen to see this place pop up on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives a couple days ago. It looks like an okay place after further review. I'd go there if I lived nearby. 

This one in the picture, though? Gotta be a user error, Wob.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Trying to eat better lately, but I couldn’t resist the special at Poe’s this weekend:

italian style roast pork with homemade charred pineapple salsa and house BBQ creme fraiche 

The description sounds kinda wrong but it looks great.  Assuming it was good?
    I'd eat that.

My hot take anymore on South Philly and cheesesteaks, roast pork, pizza, stromboli, etc etc is that it's great and all. but  Mexican has overtaken Italian for the best cultural cuisine down here.
    Outside of SPB, which places would you most recommend?