Do you wear a face covering when going out in public during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Yes
    jeffbr said:
     . Hell, make it a fashion statement. 
    Got these for the family:

Pearl Jam needs to do masks and give proceeds to Covid-19 related causes and charities.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    No
    Humanity is doomed when the big virus comes.   A bunch of selfish people who can’t even be bothered to wear a mask in an abundance of caution.   No other excuse than being selfish.
    At the rate we're going, I'm still not convinced that this isn't "the big virus." I have not much hope lately that we're not already doomed. 

Several years ago I was having a conversation with a best friend who has a doctorate in human ecology, and we were both debating if the coming end of the human race would be caused by an instant catastrophic event, or a long slow death. I have a feeling this is part of the long slow death. 

So much cheers! 
    I think covid is probably child's play compared to what is likely to come in the future. Both in terms of a killer viral pandemic, and in terms of a bacterial take-over, as the threat of superbugs with antibiotic resistance grows and grows.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yes
    Poncier said:
    jeffbr said:

Pearl Jam needs to do masks and give proceeds to Covid-19 related causes and charities.
    I love it! That's awesome. And yes, I agree that PJ needs to do something with masks. I'd buy some!

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Yes
    Poncier said:
    jeffbr said:

Love that Eddie Van Halen model!
    Eddie Van Halen  My Favorite Guitar Player by John Denner

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Yes
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    jeffbr said:

They are all EVH stripes:

This weekend we rock Portland
    Yes
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    jeffbr said:

They are all EVH stripes:

Nice!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    edited October 2023
    No
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    Yes
    tish said:
    When required, I do.

I put one on to be polite at the local supermarket. A kind, Italian gentleman asked me how can I get kissed with one on. Good point.

Only when required or to be polite is better than nothing, I guess.  Do you not wear one also because you care about loved ones and don't want to pass it on?   It's not a fashion accessory or a statement, Tish.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Yes
    tish said:
    When required, I do.

I put one on to be polite at the local supermarket. A kind, Italian gentleman asked me how can I get kissed with one on. Good point.
    Well the good news is if you don’t wear it, their is an increase in your likelihood of getting kissed at a wake or funeral. Which side of the casket is the remaining question. ;)

But seriously, it is about being polite, if polite means helping to not spread the virus you may have and don’t know it.

Masks are such a simple tool that is effective. We wouldn’t have to destroy our economy (wouldn’t have had to in the first place) if people would just take the minimal precautions. Ironically the people that want everything open are the ones keeping it from happening 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Yes
    Yes, but I'd be lying if I said 100% of the time. I have forgotten more than once. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Yes
    hedonist said:
    My health is too fucked up for me to be cavalier about protecting myself as best I can. Some numbnut doesn’t want to or feel it’s for pussies and the like...I don’t give a shit as to their opinion and just avoid them. 

Not fun, but necessary. 
    Hey you disgusting pervert stop it with all the sexual innuendo UGH!!!

;) 

Definitely not fun but now always necessary. 
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Yes
    JimmyV said:
    Yes, but I'd be lying if I said 100% of the time. I have forgotten more than once. 
    With the reopening happening, I've found it harder to remember sometimes.  I try not to let my guard down.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    this is mine. wear when in stores and at work when I am in a terminal. I see drivers from about 6 different states at one time or another, only regularly see one other guy wearing his.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    No

I live in the bottom left of the blue area. We haven't been pounded hard just yet. The Italian chastising me for wearing a mask was an old dude, too!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    That is not just "haven't been pounded hard yet", that is "barely even been kissed yet"
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Yes
    If anyone else has gotten shit for wearing a mask, what do those individuals say?
    Yes
    If anyone else has gotten shit for wearing a mask, what do those individuals say?
    If someone did that, I wouldn't give them the time of day.

Yes
    brianlux said:
    Yeah but what does the troll say to someone being responsible?  I haven’t had anyone make a comment to me yet, but I see several here in Milwaukee and Madison not wearing them.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    PJ_Soul said:
    I chose no, but I'm not a jerk. I carry a mask with me, and when it is appropriate I will put it on. But mostly it's still a no just because 1) I rarely go out in public during this time, aside from walks outside, when I don't deem it necessary. I am working from home and have most things delivered, so almost never go to the shops. I rarely have any need for a mask. And 2) we don't have a huge problem in BC right now. There are hardly any cases anymore - if there are 20 new cases in a day, that's considered really high. We've had 171 deaths altogether since the outbreak started. We're still being careful here, and going through an extremely gradual phase-in schedule for reopening things, and BC's plan has been one of the most successful in the world. But again, I have a mask on stand-by for when it is appropriate. So it's really a yes/no for me.
    I voted yes, but would define myself the same. It’s required in stores in Virginia and I happily comply.  When exit a store and clear of people, I take it off.  Easy.  I don’t wear it when I drive or pump gas, only publicly indoors or near people.  We have about 90% compliance where I live.  When I end up in a more rural area, it’s about 20% which is both depressing and unsurprising.
    Yes
    brianlux said:
    Yeah but what does the troll say to someone being responsible?  I haven’t had anyone make a comment to me yet, but I see several here in Milwaukee and Madison not wearing them.

I guess to a non-mask wearing troll if they said something to me I would just shake my head and get away from them quickly.  Pretty much the same thing I do in any case where I run into someone doing something stupid. 

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I guess to a non-mask wearing troll if they said something to me I would just shake my head and get away from them quickly.  Pretty much the same thing I do in any case where I run into someone doing something stupid. 
    I’d tell them to stfu and step back from me with their COVID breath.  I’m not kidding, fuck them.  
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    No
    I don't, but that's because of where I live. We've been very lucky in the west of Ireland that cases have been very low. My wife is an ICU nurse so I'm acutely aware of the situation. Dublin and Cork got hit the hardest, but in Galway, the ICU's never got overwhelmed. The country shut down very early and people did a good job of staying home and distancing when out shopping. I live in a low population density area, and so far the west of Ireland has seen very few deaths. There was a five phase plan for reopening, but that has been pushed forward due to the flattening of cases. Hopefully it doesn't spike when the country fully reopens this Monday. 
    Yes

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    ^^ this i like
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    No
    No, well I did the other day to write an exam.  The virus doesn't seem well spread here.  We had a month with no new cases, then a single last last week.   It seems the odds of running into it are slim, but if those numbers climbed I think I would.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    No
    So do you wash your facemask after every use?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Yes
    Cloth masks go in the laundry with your clothes.
    I have multiple masks that I rotate on a daily basis.
    One a day then into the laundry
    Simple.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Yes
    Yes. And on days I am in the office everything goes in the wash first thing when I get home.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    No
    If i use it for little time, do this..

if its for my work, then goes to laundry..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..