Do you wear a face covering when going out in public during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Comments

• Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Yes
    Matts3221 said:

Also are we just doomed to always repeat history , if you look up anything from the 1918 flu world epidemic , that had people fighting against wearing mask. Saying their liberty was being taken away or the government was going too far. A frontline doc on the issue said around 50% of deaths could have been avoided had everyone worn face coverings.

Yet 102 years latter we are arguing over masks.

I would just like to also say I don't think anyone is taking about someone taking a hike or walk by themselves in woods or outside not around anyone else.

If you are out in public walking down a busy street in the city with other people on it , shopping of any kind and going into any business wear a mask for gods sake. 

Anything less is showing your true moral character , you don't know if you are an A-symptomatic carrier , so you could be savings someone else.

I feel like when they first said seatbelts had to be used by law I bet idiots argued it was their right to die in a car accident.

I would agree about being in a secluded area distanced from other people.  At least have something with you to put on, in case you do end up in a populated area. 
    Your analogy about the seat belt doesn't completely parallel this though.  You are only risking your well-being by not wearing a seat belt.  There is the chance you could risk others health by not covering your face around others.

I do always keep a mask on me just in case an area becomes crowded , I keep one in my car in case I forget one , keep one at my office.

Also you are correct I should have come up with a better analogy as it does not translate well as you said.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    edited June 2020
    Yes
    MF117973 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Yes.  Even on bike rides and runs.*  Certainly at the grocery store (my liberal St. Paul grocery store usually has 0 to 1 mask-less person when I visit).  It's still unbelievable to me that this is a political issue and that some people are literally saying "I can't breathe."

*On runs and bike rides, I do pull it down when nobody's around...I'm not going to pretend that the mask doesn't bother me at those times.
    I do the same thing when I run. It is hard to wear when running, but I do it until I reach an area where no one is around. Then I will pull it down. But when I see that I am about to pass someone, I pull it right back up. When I pass someone who is running and not wearing one, I pull mine up and look them right in the eye while doing so.

A benefit of living in suburbs is that I can cross the road easily and not have to pass by anyone.  
    You run in the city, right?  
    So crossing the street might not be am option sometimes.
    Yes. It is not easy to cross the street in the city. Basically, my first and last 3/4 of a mile is running on the NYC sidewalks - so mask is uncomfortably up for most of that time. Then when I hit the East River there are some nice wide paths to run and bike. That is where I can go for long stretches with my mask pulled down. But even then there are some areas where the path narrows. That is when I tend to pull my mask up for a short time. That is also where I sometimes see people running without a mask and I give them the look as I considerately pull up my mask for their benefit.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yes
    Our state has a mask mandate that finally went into effect today. Masks are always to be worn inside of public places and workplaces, and outside when social distancing is not possible.  Most reasonable, responsible people were already doing this, but the slow, anti-science Trump supporters are still confused by science, responsible social behavior, and sense of community. I'm hoping they'll quickly get on board, or quickly thin their own herd.

Just wear your fucking mask when outside the home and around others. It is easy.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    Yes
    There should be a "sometimes" in there.

When I am out doors next to no one, I don't wear one.  When I am in close proximity or enter a public place I do.
    I consider that a yes. That’s what I do. If I take the kids to the park on the dogs on a walk I don’t wear it. If I go inside a store I do.

I see lots of people still wearing masks when out jogging, I don’t get that. All reports say that is completely unnecessary. Almost every for the first  few months, it’s about 50/50 now. Same with people driving inside their cars.
    Yes
    Hi! said:
    Only when going in closed public spaces, store, gas stations. Otherwise I keep distance from people best I can. I would wear one at work , but unfortunately it isn’t mandated and  not worth the abuse of being the only  person wearing one.
    I'm one of the very few that wears one at my job.  I honestly could care less if anyone wants to give me shit about it.

Anyone who gives you crap is a moron. It’s not to protect the wearer, but those around you.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    Yes
    mace1229 said:
    Hi! said:
    Only when going in closed public spaces, store, gas stations. Otherwise I keep distance from people best I can. I would wear one at work , but unfortunately it isn’t mandated and  not worth the abuse of being the only  person wearing one.
    I'm one of the very few that wears one at my job.  I honestly could care less if anyone wants to give me shit about it.

Anyone who gives you crap is a moron. It’s not to protect the wearer, but those around you.
    I wonder what the overall take would be on masks if they helped the wearer more than those around the wearer. 

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Yes
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hi! said:

I wonder what the overall take would be on masks if they helped the wearer more than those around the wearer. 

If that was the case I wouldn’t feel bad not wearing one to run in and out of a store.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    edited June 2020
    Yes
    mace1229 said:
    Hi! said:

It may be different for me though.  I am in a managerial role and can seclude myself in my office for a good amount of the day.  I have reports that work in the manufacturing plant, so I do walk through those areas a few times a day.  If you're in a job where you can't do the same, it probably would be harder to deflect the comments.

Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yes
    I’m amazed that a grown adult would succumb to peer pressure and allow it to trump common sense and keeping yourself / others safe.

And to whomever mentioned they’re “thinking about getting one”, just do it already. What’s to ponder? Millions of places sell them; that they’re also being sold in a farmers market type place strikes me as finding a way (rationalizing?) to not do it altogether. Especially since we’re months into this now. 

i echo Jeff’s sentiment, fucking and all.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Yes
    Absolutely. 

But if I hear God tell me fro a burning bush to "Go out into the world naked, my son", then I might have to change my mind.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Yes
    I took the question as wearing a mask when in public buildings or not able to socially distance.
    As did I.
    I don't wear one when taking the dog for a walk, just avoid anyone in the area as needed by crossing street.
    I do wear one when at a store or any place where people are and can't keep a distance.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Yes
    I think people are making way too big a deal about masks, as if it were an onerous request. Do you all have a problem with wearing shirts and pants to the office or out shopping? Me, either. A mask is now just another piece of clothing that should worn when out, for decency sake. Hell, make it a fashion statement. I have a collection of masks at this point. One with a team logo. One with a chile print pattern, a solid black one, a gray one, etc... I rotate them and wash them. Same as with my underwear and t-shirts. It is just another item of clothing to be worn in public. Quit making this a thing about "mah rights". It just makes you sound petty and childish. Embrace it - it is going to be the new normal until sometime in 2021 or 2022. Perhaps beyond if we can't get this virus under control. No shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service. No problem!
    Yes
    Poncier said:
    I took the question as wearing a mask when in public buildings or not able to socially distance.
    As did I.
    I don't wear one when taking the dog for a walk, just avoid anyone in the area as needed by crossing street.
    I do wear one when at a store or any place where people are and can't keep a distance.

Yeah, same here.  I would not say I wear a mask every time I go outdoors- only when around other people on sidewalks or in stores, etc. (something I rarely do these days).  What's particularly strange is to see someone wearing a mask while driving alone.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited June 2020
    No
    I chose no, but I'm not a jerk. I carry a mask with me, and when it is appropriate I will put it on. But mostly it's still a no just because 1) I rarely go out in public during this time, aside from walks outside, when I don't deem it necessary. I am working from home and have most things delivered, so almost never go to the shops. I rarely have any need for a mask. And 2) we don't have a huge problem in BC right now. There are hardly any cases anymore - if there are 20 new cases in a day, that's considered really high. We've had 171 deaths altogether since the outbreak started. We're still being careful here, and going through an extremely gradual phase-in schedule for reopening things, and BC's plan has been one of the most successful in the world. But again, I have a mask on stand-by for when it is appropriate. So it's really a yes/no for me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yes
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    As did I.

What's particularly strange is to see someone wearing a mask while driving alone.
    I see it all the time. It's strange, unnecessary and frankly stupid. Depending in what type of mask you are wearing it could affect your peripheral vision. Not wise when driving.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    Yes
    Yes but not when out walking for exercise.  all stores yes
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    No
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    As did I.

What's particularly strange is to see someone wearing a mask while driving alone.
    I see it all the time. It's strange, unnecessary and frankly stupid. Depending in what type of mask you are wearing it could affect your peripheral vision. Not wise when driving.
    I believe people do this so that they aren't touching their masks. The more often you take it off and put it back on, the higher the chances of infection are. It is definitely better to just leave it on until you're done with it. I don't get why folks don't understand this.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    As did I.

I believe people do this so that they aren't touching their masks. The more often you take it off and put it back on, the higher the chances of infection are. It is definitely better to just leave it on until you're done with it. I don't get why folks don't understand this.

If you remove it properly by the ear loops, there's no issue.
    Yes
    jeffbr said:
    I think people are making way too big a deal about masks, as if it were an onerous request. Do you all have a problem with wearing shirts and pants to the office or out shopping? Me, either. A mask is now just another piece of clothing that should worn when out, for decency sake. Hell, make it a fashion statement. I have a collection of masks at this point. One with a team logo. One with a chile print pattern, a solid black one, a gray one, etc... I rotate them and wash them. Same as with my underwear and t-shirts. It is just another item of clothing to be worn in public. Quit making this a thing about "mah rights". It just makes you sound petty and childish. Embrace it - it is going to be the new normal until sometime in 2021 or 2022. Perhaps beyond if we can't get this virus under control. No shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service. No problem!

+100
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Yes
    There should be a "sometimes" in there.

When I am out doors next to no one, I don't wear one.  When I am in close proximity or enter a public place I do.
    Yeah I agree with this.  I wear it indoors all the time.  All day at work and all places I go.  I limited my trips and places.  When I'm outside I keep my distance and rarely wear a mask...unless I feel like I cannot keep distance and have some sustained contact (within 6')
    hippiemom = goodness
    Yes
    jeffbr said:

Washing masks is a great idea.  I'm a bit surprised the notion of washing masks isn't talked about more.  It should seem obvious that it's a good idea to wash them... but then a lot of things that should seem obvious get overlooked, so thanks for pointing this out.

Yes
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

Washing masks is a great idea.  I'm a bit surprised the notion of washing masks isn't talked about more.  It should seem obvious that it's a good idea to wash them... but then a lot of things that should seem obvious get overlooked, so thanks for pointing this out.
    We’ve bought enough masks that we can rotate them and throw them in with our laundry and still have enough in circulation to wear.
    Yes
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

I have seven total so yeah , I just put them thru the wash same as other clothes so I always have a few clean ones
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yes
     We can wash masks?

;)

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,412
    Took awhile though, didn't it? I look forward to Team Trump Treason's twitter take down of Darth Cheney.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Yes
    I’ve heard Trumpster Fire wears a mask pretty often while not on camera and is a germophobe.  Anyone think there’s truth to that?
    Yes
    I’ve heard Trumpster Fire wears a mask pretty often while not on camera and is a germophobe.  Anyone think there’s truth to that?
    I've heard that, too. I think he's schizophrenic about germs. He is a self-described germaphobe who bangs strippers bareback and likes to watch water sports between hookers. Those don't square with germophobia to me.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    Yes
    Humanity is doomed when the big virus comes.   A bunch of selfish people who can’t even be bothered to wear a mask in an abundance of caution.   No other excuse than being selfish.
    At the rate we're going, I'm still not convinced that this isn't "the big virus." I have not much hope lately that we're not already doomed. 

Several years ago I was having a conversation with a best friend who has a doctorate in human ecology, and we were both debating if the coming end of the human race would be caused by an instant catastrophic event, or a long slow death. I have a feeling this is part of the long slow death. 

So much cheers! 
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    Yes
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    As did I.

Yeah, same here.  I would not say I wear a mask every time I go outdoors- only when around other people on sidewalks or in stores, etc. (something I rarely do these days).  What's particularly strange is to see someone wearing a mask while driving alone.
    Funny, I've started wearing it while driving, too, Brian. I've discovered it seriously alleviates my allergy symptoms. Right now the grass and mold counts are through the roof in my area (both are my biggest allergen problem) and the mask is an incredible tool. Who knew it would make that much of a difference?