Do you wear a face covering when going out in public during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Yes
    Zod said:
    No, well I did the other day to write an exam.  The virus doesn't seem well spread here.  We had a month with no new cases, then a single last last week.   It seems the odds of running into it are slim, but if those numbers climbed I think I would.
    I hear you on this, Zod - it feels pretty safe, being out and about. However, our reopening is going really well so far and I definitely don’t want us to screw it up. If wearing masks allows us to continue to keep restaurants, stores, gyms, schools, etc open while keeping the cases down, then I’m going to wear a mask while I’m out. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    Yes
    That’s what I don’t get.  Why so many don’t wear masks around others as the US is trying to regain it’s economy.  If you can’t be motivated by fear out of more death, then think about it financially.  The more this spreads again, the chance of stay at home orders coming back, because the hospitals are overrun again.  That’s a big motivation why I wear one at work.  I get others infected, while asymptomatic, my company could be forced to shut down for a period of time.  Then I’m the asshole that screwed over the others who desperately need their income.  I have colleagues who wear masks everywhere else, but not at work for politics.  I honestly could give a shit about politics, if it’s not protecting lives then it’s about keeping the company going.  You can’t have an economy without healthy employees.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    edited June 2020
    Yes
    I do when I am in a store or close to other people. If on a walk with the dog or on a bike ride I do not wear one but move to the other side of the road, if possible, to avoid other people.

Also I golf a lot. So we're required to wear one when checking into the pro shop and going inside. But after that nobody really wears one on the course. I feel weird about that but you can pretty easily social distance on a golf course. Also up until recently we were not permitted to have more than one person in the cart. That rule was lifted but I still opt for my own cart just to be safe.

I fucking hate masks, especially as the weather continues to get more humid. I am having a hard time to find one that fits properly.

The other thing is---how often are you washing yours? After every use? I'm bad at that. 

Also I should add that I work from home now and I'm rarely around people other than immediate family (except on the golf course).
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    I do when I am in a store or close to other people. If on a walk with the dog or on a bike ride I do not wear one but move to the other side of the road, if possible, to avoid other people.

Also I golf a lot. So we're required to wear one when checking into the pro shop and going inside. But after that nobody really wears one on the course. I feel weird about that but you can pretty easily social distance on a golf course. Also up until recently we were not permitted to have more than one person in the cart. That rule was lifted but I still opt for my own cart just to be safe.

I fucking hate masks, especially as the weather continues to get more humid. I am having a hard time to find one that fits properly.

The other thing is---how often are you washing yours? After every use? I'm bad at that. 

Also I should add that I work from home now and I'm rarely around people other than immediate family (except on the golf course).
    I love the sponge in the hole and never having to pull the pin.  I don't care what happens in the future, but I'm never pulling a pin again.  
    Yes
    23scidoo said:
    So do you wash your facemask after every use?
    If i use it for little time, do this..

if its for my work, then goes to laundry..
    Does that work?

If you're wearing a mask for a total of 5 to 20 minutes in a store or picking up food, do you wash it when you get home? Or do you only wash after wearing it for prolonged period of times?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yes
    23scidoo said:

Does that work?

If you're wearing a mask for a total of 5 to 20 minutes in a store or picking up food, do you wash it when you get home? Or do you only wash after wearing it for prolonged period of times?
    I'm not sure how well that works, but we have a "hamper" where we put our worn masks to throw in with our laundry each week.

Yes
    23scidoo said:

Does that work?

I'm not sure how well that works, but we have a "hamper" where we put our worn masks to throw in with our laundry each week.

So you usually wear one mask a day then? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yes
    23scidoo said:

Does that work?

Pretty much.  We bought several fabric masks online, to where we can each have one a day for the week.

Yes
    23scidoo said:

Does that work?

Pretty much.  We bought several fabric masks online, to where we can each have one a day for the week.

Makes sense
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    Yes
    Sitting in my car outside the vet waiting for my 15 yr old dog to he checked out. No people in waiting area.
    Staff and animals only.
    Must wait outside in car.

Here is today's mask...

• Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Yes

My companies headquarters is in VT , so we have a mask mandate at our offices , you have to have one on at all times. Even though we have some very heavy conservatives in our upper ranks ,they realize the science behind masks , also they don't want an office to be shut down because one person whom is A symptomatic gets everyone else sick and our business comes to a halt.

I have five masks that I rotate and wash , I also realized when this first started making your own masks or my sister  making them , some were with heavier fabrics that after a while would feel a little much ( nothing like I could not breath through it just a little uncomfortable )  The masks I have now are much more comfortable , wearing them all day does not bother me ( a little but I would rather wear it then possible get sick or others get sick.

People really need to get over this because when it comes roaring back in the fall , I feel every state is going to start mask mandates as they should. When I see shots of bars in FL or TX ( I know they have scaled back ) that were packed to the gills with not one person wearing a mask I was just like " WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING"

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    Yes
    Sitting in my car outside the vet waiting for my 15 yr old dog to he checked out. No people in waiting area.
    Staff and animals only.

Here is today's mask...

Same process at my vet.  Makes total sense.  Was disappointed because my dog LOVES our vet and I love seeing her jump all over the vet.  But separating where possible is the best thing.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,378
    No
    23scidoo said:

Does that work?

If you use it max an hour, spray it with Dettol and leave it on fresh air for some time..only wash them when i get back from work, it's almost 8 hours then..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,119
    Yes
    I ordered some new face masks, the balaclava style ones. Where one can pull it up quickly in order to cover up. I even wear it while I'm driving now especially since things have gotten so bad here in South Florida. 

Yet we STILL have folks here who refuse to wear a mask they think the mask is killing us. It's getting really bad here and many don't want to do a thing about it, business as usual. 

https://youtu.be/9CmTSRAI0Ks

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    Yes
    Here in NY Cuomo signed an executive order that businesses can deny service to those without masks. So, I guess here it is "no shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service". It wouldn't even cross my mind to walk into a business without one. I just can't understand why some are so vehemently opposed to it. I agree they are uncomfortable at times. But I bet being on a ventilator is no picnic either.
    Yes
    g under p said:
    I ordered some new face masks, the balaclava style ones. Where one can pull it up quickly in order to cover up. I even wear it while I'm driving now especially since things have gotten so bad here in South Florida. 

Yet we STILL have folks here who refuse to wear a mask they think the mask is killing us. It's getting really bad here and many don't want to do a thing about it, business as usual. 

Peace

How in the hell doe the mask kill you?  That makes no fucking sense.

Yes
    g under p said:

Peace

The good news is we now have a clearer understanding of who the idiots are around us.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    Yes
    g under p said:

Peace

How in the hell doe the mask kill you?  That makes no fucking sense.

They think you are breathing back in your own CO2 - like the mask is vacuum sealed to your face, or something :weary:

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,119
    Yes
    From the video some of those folks are say the mask can kill you because one tends to touch your face, eyes etc. So according to them no mask wearing then no touching the face.

You can get an idea of what I'm talking about when the first person up to argue her point. Just listen to what she says in the first 30 seconds. Unreal.

This will be my new line,

*Things Need To Breathe*

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Yes
    Word to the wise, careful what you wash your mask in as you may be tasting it all day, lol. My wife used some kind of laundry detergent that was scented and it was no bueno!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Yes
    Staff and animals only.

Here is today's mask...

Yep, our vet doing the same thing. When the tech brought her back out she was laughing about how once they took her into the exam room she began to slink and try and hide in the corner and they had a brief struggle getting her on the exam table.
    She gets excited going into the waiting area, other dogs to see, but once its time to go into the exam room, the memory of past trips kicks in and she wants no part of it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Yes
    MF117973 said:
    So, I guess here it is "no shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service".  

Learn it, know it, live it!

This weekend we rock Portland
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,768
    Yes
    By wearing such cool masks, you are making the masks attractive and you are helping to save lives. So great. It's a fashion statement and not a political statement. Big hugs all around; stay safe. :)
    Falling down,...not staying down
    Yes
    Kat said:
    By wearing such cool masks, you are making the masks attractive and you are helping to save lives. So great. It's a fashion statement and not a political statement. Big hugs all around; stay safe. :)
    I'd wear something like this all the time....

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Yes
    See, this is why I love this group- smart, caring people doing the right thing!

Cheers and have a great day, friends!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Yes
    My frustration right now goes beyond measure.  I know some of the people mentioned in the article linked below.   I've always thought of them as good and wonderful people to have as co-retailers (although I no longer work down town since COVD-19 broke out) in our little town.  We never really talk much about politics or social events- mostly about friendly stuff.  But now I see them making statements in a press widely circulated in northern California- statements that reveal some of the backwards kind of thinking that permeates this predominately Republican county.  I'm appalled that some of the shop owners mentioned in this article would politicize a health crisis and drive away business from other retailers like the bookstore run by people who care and do the right thing.   

There is a local group I belong to call El Dorado Progressives.  I shy away from joining groups or using labels for myself, but I mostly agree with these folks and see a huge need to help this town to become less conservative and more progressive.   Reading the article, this becomes all the more obvious.  And the sad thing is, in America, if you want to live in a rural or even semi-rural area, this is the kind of thing you have to live with. 

'I refuse to bow to anybody.' Rural California defies Gov. Newsom's order to wear masks

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited June 2020
    Yes
    ^
    "He refuses to wear one and said he doesn’t plan on getting a vaccination for the coronavirus, if and when it becomes available."
    That last part disturbs me the most.
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
    Yes
    ^
    "He refuses to wear one and said he doesn’t plan on getting a vaccination for the coronavirus, if and when it becomes available."
    That last part disturbs me the most.
    Yes, and these are dangerous people in that they will put their political biases and ideologies above doing what is right by protecting themselves and others from this disease.

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,395
    Mask it or casket!
    Yes
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Mask it or casket!

:plus_one: