Do you wear a face covering when going out in public during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Do you wear a face covering when going out in public during the COVID-19 pandemic? 70 votes

Yes
81%
Katcincybearcatpjhawkshedonistjeffbrdarwinstheorymcgruff10Poncierxavier mcdanielbootlegger10The Jugglera5pjstuckinlineParksyjosevolutiongoldrushmfc2006PJPOWERCarryTheZeroblueandwhite 57 votes
No
18%
SpunkieSpiritual_Chaosjwhjr17ZodMalrothAbe FromanGern Blansteneddiectempo_n_groovePJ_Soul23scidooriley540Choccoloccotide 13 votes

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yes
    ... because I'm not a selfish idiot...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,795
    edited June 2020
    No
    ... because keeping the distance, and staying at home when having symptoms is what I have been told is the best method. Wearing facemasks when going out can give a false sense of security, and therefore have the opposite effect and make one into a selfish idiot.

Have looked into getting one. Seen them being sold by people next to the people selling strawberries here.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Yes
    ... because keeping the distance, and staying at home when having symptoms is what I have been told is the best method. Wearing facemasks when going out can give a false sense of security, and therefore have the opposite effect and make one into a selfish idiot.

Have looked into getting one. Seen them being sold by people next to the people selling strawberries here.

No , because all science points towards mask working while in public. All of it not one study shows otherwise. If you are following what we should be doing , you should not be out unless you need to be and when you are out wear a mask.

I find it a moral issue , those that don't seem to think about only themselves the opposite of what you are saying.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    edited June 2020
    I only wear it where it's required. It's basically required in all stores here in Pennsylvania. Frankly, I only wear it to appease the rules. Otherwise, I would just social distance, when necessary. When my friends and I go hiking, we're not really social distancing, at all. When I go to visit my grandmother, she sits on the porch and I keep a very safe distance. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,428
    I do where it’s required, meaning shops and public transport. Outside I just keep my distance. If they changed the rules here, I would wear it but probably go outside even less
    Yes

Um 
    No.  Gieseke logic lol

Mask + social distancing protocols > social distance protocols (that you admittedly aren't following anyways)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    No
    There should be a "sometimes" in there.

When I am out doors next to no one, I don't wear one.  When I am in close proximity or enter a public place I do.
    edited June 2020
    No
    rgambs said:

Um 
    No.  Gieseke logic lol

Mask + social distancing protocols > social distance protocols (that you admittedly aren't following anyways)
    Following everything that I should and have been told to do. 

Now, seperate yourself and your family into isolated units with no connection between you all to not further the spread. Everyone has to to their part. Thank you.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    Yes
    Humanity is doomed when the big virus comes.   A bunch of selfish people who can’t even be bothered to wear a mask in an abundance of caution.   No other excuse than being selfish.
    Yes
    rgambs said:

Um 
    No.  Gieseke logic lol

Following everything that I should and have been told to do. 

Now, seperate yourself and your family into isolated units with no connection between you all to not further the spread. Everyone has to to their part. Thank you.
    You already said that once and looked like a fool, now you look like a bitter, small fool lol

No expert has EVER, in all this shifting landscape, recommended isolation within healthy family homes, but even Johan "No Worries" Giesecke thinks your bar visits and house parties are irresponsible.
    No
    Humanity is doomed when the big virus comes.   A bunch of selfish people who can’t even be bothered to wear a mask in an abundance of caution.   No other excuse than being selfish.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yes
    My health is too fucked up for me to be cavalier about protecting myself as best I can. Some numbnut doesn’t want to or feel it’s for pussies and the like...I don’t give a shit as to their opinion and just avoid them. 

Not fun, but necessary. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    edited June 2020
    I don't go out in public 

No joke.

I leave the house to run before 6am.   
    On the rare occasion that I see someone walking or running I cross the street.
    I wore a buff for the first month and pulled it up over my mouth when I saw someone but stopped.
    None of the people walking or running wear them but we wave at one another from opposite sides of the street 

I see lots of deer, more deer than people, but they don't wear masks either.

I did go to mail one item and I need to mail a poster to someone soon.
    100% wore a mask that one time and will wear a mask any time I know I will be around people.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551

I can rarely tell with you - are you joking?
    Do you truly think wearing a mask makes someone a selfish idiot?
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    Yes
    I just don't understand why it's so much to ask to cover your face while in public.  Even if your part of the world is on the downslide of infections, it is scientifically proven to lessen the chance of transmitting a respiratory virus.  I don't like wearing one and sometimes that dictates how frequently I leave my home, or when I'm at work walk around other areas.  I just know that I don't want to spread any respiratory issue I may have, so I'll keep wearing mine.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,378
    No
    On bus and on work only..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Yes

Also are we just doomed to always repeat history , if you look up anything from the 1918 flu world epidemic , that had people fighting against wearing mask. Saying their liberty was being taken away or the government was going too far. A frontline doc on the issue said around 50% of deaths could have been avoided had everyone worn face coverings.

Yet 102 years latter we are arguing over masks.

I would just like to also say I don't think anyone is taking about someone taking a hike or walk by themselves in woods or outside not around anyone else.

If you are out in public walking down a busy street in the city with other people on it , shopping of any kind and going into any business wear a mask for gods sake. 

Anything less is showing your true moral character , you don't know if you are an A-symptomatic carrier , so you could be savings someone else.

I feel like when they first said seatbelts had to be used by law I bet idiots argued it was their right to die in a car accident.

No

I can rarely tell with you - are you joking?
    Do you truly think wearing a mask makes someone a selfish idiot?
    No, I do not.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    Yes
    Yes.  Even on bike rides and runs.*  Certainly at the grocery store (my liberal St. Paul grocery store usually has 0 to 1 mask-less person when I visit).  It's still unbelievable to me that this is a political issue and that some people are literally saying "I can't breathe."

*On runs and bike rides, I do pull it down when nobody's around...I'm not going to pretend that the mask doesn't bother me at those times.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited June 2020
    Only when going in closed public spaces, store, gas stations. Otherwise I keep distance from people best I can. I would wear one at work , but unfortunately it isn’t mandated and  not worth the abuse of being the only  person wearing one.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Yes
    Matts3221 said:

Also are we just doomed to always repeat history , if you look up anything from the 1918 flu world epidemic , that had people fighting against wearing mask. Saying their liberty was being taken away or the government was going too far. A frontline doc on the issue said around 50% of deaths could have been avoided had everyone worn face coverings.

I would just like to also say I don't think anyone is taking about someone taking a hike or walk by themselves in woods or outside not around anyone else.

If you are out in public walking down a busy street in the city with other people on it , shopping of any kind and going into any business wear a mask for gods sake. 

Anything less is showing your true moral character , you don't know if you are an A-symptomatic carrier , so you could be savings someone else.

I feel like when they first said seatbelts had to be used by law I bet idiots argued it was their right to die in a car accident.

I would agree about being in a secluded area distanced from other people.  At least have something with you to put on, in case you do end up in a populated area. 
    Your analogy about the seat belt doesn't completely parallel this though.  You are only risking your well-being by not wearing a seat belt.  There is the chance you could risk others health by not covering your face around others.

Yes
    Hi! said:
    Only when going in closed public spaces, store, gas stations. Otherwise I keep distance from people best I can. I would wear one at work , but unfortunately it isn’t mandated and  not worth the abuse of being the only  person wearing one.
    I'm one of the very few that wears one at my job.  I honestly could care less if anyone wants to give me shit about it.

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Hi! said:
    I'm one of the very few that wears one at my job.  I honestly could care less if anyone wants to give me shit about it.

Yeah, I should. Just want to get thru my day without any bullshit. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    No
    I do when I go into a store, etc.  But not walking down the street.  Maybe I should have answered yes.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Yes
    I do when I go into a store, etc.  But not walking down the street.  Maybe I should have answered yes.
    I probably should have added a "sometimes." I think more of a "no" being someone who doesn't wear one period.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Yes
    Mine is also a slightly qualified yes, as it kind of depends on how you define "public".

At work I'm required to wear a mask anytime I'm within 2 metres of patients or staff, which is pretty much any time I'm not alone in my office. I also wear a mask anytime I'm out and about walking down the street, in a store, etc. I don't wear a mask when I'm out running or cycling, since (a) I'm never very close to others and (b) the risk of transmission outdoors is tiny, unless you're in a crowd, which I am not. I did participate in a protest and did wear a mask then, but also spent the whole time walking around the perimeter of the crowd so that I was never close to any specific person for more than a few seconds. The rate of mask wearing out in public enclosed places is very high where I live.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    Yes
    I took the question as wearing a mask when in public buildings or not able to socially distance.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Yes
    Matts3221 said:

I would agree about being in a secluded area distanced from other people.  At least have something with you to put on, in case you do end up in a populated area. 
    Your analogy about the seat belt doesn't completely parallel this though.  You are only risking your well-being by not wearing a seat belt.  There is the chance you could risk others health by not covering your face around others.

There are larger implications for not wearing a seatbelt other than just harm to yourself. If there is anyone else in the car with you, you can become a projectile and harm others. Plus there are the costs to others like your family and the health care system when others have to deal with the consequences of the idiotic decision, like providing lifelong care if you are brain injured, paraplegic or the like. And yet some people still do cling to their "right" to not wear a seatbelt in a similar fashion to the mask argument. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    Yes
    OnWis97 said:
    Yes.  Even on bike rides and runs.*  Certainly at the grocery store (my liberal St. Paul grocery store usually has 0 to 1 mask-less person when I visit).  It's still unbelievable to me that this is a political issue and that some people are literally saying "I can't breathe."

*On runs and bike rides, I do pull it down when nobody's around...I'm not going to pretend that the mask doesn't bother me at those times.
    I do the same thing when I run. It is hard to wear when running, but I do it until I reach an area where no one is around. Then I will pull it down. But when I see that I am about to pass someone, I pull it right back up. When I pass someone who is running and not wearing one, I pull mine up and look them right in the eye while doing so.

MF117973 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I do the same thing when I run. It is hard to wear when running, but I do it until I reach an area where no one is around. Then I will pull it down. But when I see that I am about to pass someone, I pull it right back up. When I pass someone who is running and not wearing one, I pull mine up and look them right in the eye while doing so.

A benefit of living in suburbs is that I can cross the road easily and not have to pass by anyone.  
    You run in the city, right?  
    So crossing the street might not be am option sometimes.