The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Gibson said:
     I have absolutely zero facts behind this, and I just want to make sure that part is clear...but I think a short tour happens in the next 5 years with the lead singer of the Trews.

but I'm really hoping for b-sides and live record releases.
    the band has already said they won't ever play again as the hip. and yeah, i know bands say this all the time and still do it, but man, especially rob baker was so emphatic about it, i just can't see it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

toolie said:
    Ya it would sure be nice to have a Lost Dogs type album. Or starting the vault shows again.  
    yeah, all the unreleased tracks i have that are poor quality, a lot of them are very good songs, and could use the remix/master treatment. 

and a few winnipeg bootlegs wouldn't hurt. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388

Bright Future Ahead For Hip Fans

We know you haven’t heard from us in some time. This is where we will share all the new and exciting things coming your way.

Thank you to everyone who got their dad a Hip gift for Father's Day! We are working hard to get all your orders fulfilled, while there may be some Covid-19 related delays, we would like to thank you in advance for your patience.

Next Tuesday eve (June 30th) at 7PM EDT we will be on Facebook Live talking about our history, Canada Day shows, and the music we've been playing on our front porch. As well as some of the bands that have influenced us, and continue to influence us to this day. The interview will be rebroadcast throughout the week on our Sirius XM channels takeover of The Verge, which is happening on channel 173 from July 1st to July 5th, 2020.

Feel free to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, links are below. We will be sharing many cool pieces of news and content there as well!

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Just an Fyi, Hip posters back in the shop. Only the 2 from the last tour but still...
    Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one of each! I went to a Calgary and Edmonton show on that last tour, and am looking forward to framing the stubs with these posters like I do for my PJ shows. 
    Happy Canada Day!!! 🇨🇦 🇨🇦 🇨🇦 f
    This is from an interview last night with Sirius XM the surviving members did. 

toolie said:
    This is from an interview last night with Sirius XM the surviving members did. 

can't wait
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Just an Fyi, Hip posters back in the shop. Only the 2 from the last tour but still...
    thanks dude. just bought em both. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,250
    to steal a line from jason...
    it gets easier, but it never gets easy  :(
    to steal a line from jason...
    it gets easier, but it never gets easy  :(
    I’ve been listening to that song a lot lately. Such a good record all around. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
    Hip fans, check out this cool page that, in part, honors Gord Downie- very cool!

And, if interested, check out the Artists Against Racism thread in AMT.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

My posters from the 2016 tour just arrived - the bus one is awesome. Can't wait to get them framed and on the wall!
    toolie said:
    My posters from the 2016 tour just arrived - the bus one is awesome. Can't wait to get them framed and on the wall!
    mine too. gonna frame them in one frame with my autographed card and a picture from the winnipeg show. gonna have to save up. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,412
    Nice tidbit in today’s email, lol!

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    it's really sad that it took gord's death to make them stop for a second and take a dip into the archives. would have been awesome to have some old material for anniversary box sets and have them perform some never before heard tracks. 

still very excited about this though!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I’m stoked for that little nugget. Can’t wait to see what comes out of these!! 
    man, the Hip merch train really is in full swing. gives me a strange feeling. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2020
    Ya I hear that. Adirondack chairs? They seem to be badging everything they can. 
    Post edited by toolie on
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,904
    I imagine it's tough on the surviving members of the band and Gord Downie's family.   The Hip were big in Canada, but not so big anywhere else.  There's only so many places to play here, and how many times you can tour them.   I'm guessing they had a decent amount of money, but maybe not a lifetime supply of it?   Now, trying to find other ways to generate cash flow?    That's going to be hard, live shows is the best way to earn a living :(
    Zod said:
    I imagine it's tough on the surviving members of the band and Gord Downie's family.   The Hip were big in Canada, but not so big anywhere else.  There's only so many places to play here, and how many times you can tour them.   I'm guessing they had a decent amount of money, but maybe not a lifetime supply of it?   Now, trying to find other ways to generate cash flow?    That's going to be hard, live shows is the best way to earn a living :(
    yeah, i factored that in, but man, they toured relentlessly, selling out arenas for the last 20 years. but slapping your name on bluetooth speakers just reeks overkill. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• All the albums are up in 24bit FLAC now. HD Tracks, 7Digital, Qobuz... decent sale going now too.
    I am wired and fading...
    brianlux said:
    Hip fans, check out this cool page that, in part, honors Gord Downie- very cool!

And, if interested, check out the Artists Against Racism thread in AMT.

cool, thanks Brian
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2020
    Zod said:
    yeah, i factored that in, but man, they toured relentlessly, selling out arenas for the last 20 years. but slapping your name on bluetooth speakers just reeks overkill. 
    They did, but they could only play big venues in Canada and usually only in the big cities.  Even then, I saw them do theatre shows here and there in Canada.  There's only so many places to play here.   Most of the time outside of Canada was playing theatres and clubs.  I feel like they made a modest amount of cash, but not on the same level of bands who can play arenas/stadiums worldwide.

It is rough seeing bands hawk merch, but the thing bands make the least amount of money on now is music, which is even sadder :(

Zod said:
    Zod said:
    They did, but they could only play big venues in Canada and usually only in the big cities.  Even then, I saw them do theatre shows here and there in Canada.  There's only so many places to play here.   Most of the time outside of Canada was playing theatres and clubs.  I feel like they made a modest amount of cash, but not on the same level of bands who can play arenas/stadiums worldwide.

It is rough seeing bands hawk merch, but the thing bands make the least amount of money on now is music, which is even sadder :(

100%. i think they'll be releasing box sets of each record as the years go by. road apples seems to be first up. maybe because there seems to be so much unused material? they could open up the live vault, hosting it on their site, and make a killing. being renowned for the live show like they were, people would flock to buying those up. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Zod said:
    Zod said:

100%. i think they'll be releasing box sets of each record as the years go by. road apples seems to be first up. maybe because there seems to be so much unused material? they could open up the live vault, hosting it on their site, and make a killing. being renowned for the live show like they were, people would flock to buying those up. 
    I guess.  I've been finding the mega box set thing has gotten out of control.  Really big and expensive.  You have to wonder if they really sell that many?  I'd rather not buy them when it costs several hundred dollars.  Plus the new stuff get's buried deep in the set.   I'd prefer it if they took unreleased old material and use it to out compilation type albums.  Like Nirvana's Incesticide, Smashing Pumpkins Pisces Iscariot, kind of albums.  That's what I was kind of hoping for.  

Hmmmm. Any guesses??? 
    toolie said:
    Hmmmm. Any guesses??? 
    not a one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

two hip movies (kingston show and long time running) in theatres. who cares. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• i REALLY care about this announcement cause
    i just got myself a tshirt from the last hip show i saw live in kingston, of the 50+ shows i was at  :)
    and i'm fucking pumped about that. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    https://thehipgiftshop.com/collections/mens/products/kingstontee