Options

The Tragically Hip official Thread 2009******

lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
edited March 2009 in Other Music
(someone had to bring back the longest running non-PJ Thread on this Board)

Have at it...

All things "The Hip"... all the time..

"If from the outside there's no demand for what you do.. and inside there's an army waiting for its marching orders from you..."

"Sorry to interupt you caller but that"s a PHYSICAL IMPOSSIBILTY... ITS JUST A PHY-SI-CAL IMPOSSI-BILTY..!"

"One night in El Paso
The cops go into the crowd
Under a throbbing bladder of light
And the music is just so loud'"

My new 2009 Hip Tour campaign ""Play Yawning or Snarling..You Pussies!"

:)
"This here's a REQUEST!"
EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
10/25/13 Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I was shocked to find they didn't move that one over here :(
  • Options
    pedalbreakpedalbreak Posts: 138
    edited February 2009
    The melody comes back to me.
    In a time beyond
    our heartbeat.

Gord you genius bastard.

'09 tour I'm hopin to hear:
    Escape
    Emporer Penguin
    Greasy Jungle
    Sharks----> ohhhh mama!
    Titanic Terrarium
    > uhhhhhhh....

fuck, actually I don't care
    Post edited by pedalbreak on
  • Options
    Any Hipbasers on here?
    I'm Joe, and hello!
  • Options
    NEW CITY AND COLOUR FEAT GORD DOWNIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4EPWD7A87A

GORD is also in a new movie with Joshua jackson "One Week"

i think its just a cameo or something

"i can sit on the edge of my bed, i can stare into my own shoes, and in the pools of light years, go wherever I choose"

HIP HIP HIP!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    I was shocked to find they didn't move that one over here :(

no shit.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    And what do we think of the new album (or, what we've heard from it)?
    If "Morning Moon" is an indication, I think it'll be interesting and cool. Laid back, organic, almost blissful.
    Looking forward to April 7th.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • Options
    mertmert Posts: 167
    I've only heard Morning Moon, obviously... But I'm digging it! :) As I said to a coworker today, though, I think at this point The Hip has done pretty much everything. :lol: They're like PJ in that they do what they want, and you never know what they might come out with!

Looking forward to seeing my first Kingston proper show too! I went to Across the Causeway in 2004, but I missed out on the the K-Rock Centre opening last year. :x GD show sold out in what, 10-15 minutes? :evil: :lol:
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,091
    Can't wait to FINALLY see the Hip live for the first time in 2009!
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Hey guys, The Hip's new single 'Love Is A First' was released this morning

Visit: http://thehip.com/

to hear it.
  • Options
    The latest release is fuckin good...cant wait for more ...and a tour ....they will be touring ,announcing it on monday......
  • Options
    billyruff wrote:
    The latest release is fuckin good...cant wait for more ...and a tour ....they will be touring ,announcing it on monday......

where is this monday information coming from? are you sure?
  • Options
    billyruff wrote:

yeah I would like to know this as well....
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    billyruff wrote:

yeah I would like to know this as well....

local radio virgin Ottawa,i'll be listening
  • Options
    Tour dates ARE being posted on Monday.

Good news for all:
    The Hip are doing small concert hall venues with multiple dates in each city.
  • Options
    hope you guys are right!!!! time to put in my vacation and put that free night stay in a jacuzzi suite in wonderful saskatoon to use.....hahhahaha, only the hip could get me to saskatoon!

HIP HIP HIP!

bring it on, im so stoked about the concert hall venues....so much better than arenas....unless you are close....this will be great.
  • Options
    pedalbreak wrote:

Good news for all:

I wonder what the odds are of them getting close enough to the states for me to catch this? That sounds fucking awesome!
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    edited February 2009
    pedalbreak wrote:

Good news for all:

Awesome!!

I did hear that they are playing the Moore in Seattle on June 17th so that means any Vancouver dates will be around then, if anyone cares to play the speculation game with me. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by EquallyWorthless on
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    pedalbreak wrote:

Good news for all:

I wonder what the odds are of them getting close enough to the states for me to catch this? That sounds fucking awesome!

Uh you live in Chicago? They have 2 dates posted at the Vic on TM.

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/The-Tragical ... ist/736328
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    where did you hear the June 17th thing?
  • Options
    where did you hear the June 17th thing?

http://hipbase.com/

I can see them playing Van on the 19,20, and 21 it is a fri/sat/sun.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    nice find.....yeah man that would be great if they did the 17th then the vancouver stuff that you said....4 shows would fill me, i wouldnt have to use any vacation for that either.

i can see vancouver getting 4 shows, if calgary is getting 3, depending on venue size. they did 4 commodores in 06.....so who knows...... is it obvious how excited i am? its been too long since i saw them last.
  • Options
    nice find.....yeah man that would be great if they did the 17th then the vancouver stuff that you said....4 shows would fill me, i wouldnt have to use any vacation for that either.

i can see vancouver getting 4 shows, if calgary is getting 3, depending on venue size. they did 4 commodores in 06.....so who knows...... is it obvious how excited i am? its been too long since i saw them last.

I would be happy with 3, apparently the ticket prices for the Calgary shows are 100+ so who knows even then how many I would go to at that price.

I just kind of hope they dont play here after the Calgary shows in September, might be hard for me to do anything in September. You know .... :D
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    100 each? or pair. if its each that is impossible.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    pedalbreak wrote:

Good news for all:

Uh you live in Chicago? They have 2 dates posted at the Vic on TM.

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/The-Tragical ... ist/736328

Sadly, I'll have left Chicago to move back to Ohio. My bar review class starts the same day as the first of those shows :(
    Post edited by soulsinging on
  • Options
    100 each? or pair. if its each that is impossible.

100 each....
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,091
    What is the pre-sale that Ticketmaster has up? Does the Hip have some sort of Fan Club pre-sale?
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    What is the pre-sale that Ticketmaster has up? Does the Hip have some sort of Fan Club pre-sale?

Live Nation I believe....

Also a bonus at least is that the shows are "An Evening With..." No Opening acts....
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:

just sing up at the hip dot com and you will get an email, about a password. you can only get one show though with it. thats how its worked in the past.

100 each. fuck me. i hope that is incorrect.

evening with the hip is amazing....you should see the setlist from the previous evening with i've been to. DAMN this gonna be good.
  • Options
    100 each. fuck me. i hope that is incorrect.

Its most def not. Email from Live Nation

Tragically Hip (Live Nation Canada, Inc. ) Sep 21 2009 - Sep 24 2009

Description: TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY, MARCH 6TH @ 10AM

Tickets available at Ticketmaster Outlets or Charge by Phone 403-777-0000
    Tickets (incl. GST) $89.50 & $69.50
    (Plus FMF & Service charges)
    ** RESERVED SEATING **

Main Theatre

AN EVENING WITH
    THE TRAGICALLY HIP
    MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 21ST, 2009
    TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23RD, 2009
    WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24TH, 2009

SOUTHERN ALBERTA JUBILEE AUDITORIUM - CALGARY, AB

Doors 6:30pm Show 7:30pm

Canada’s band, The Tragically Hip, announce their Canadian tour dates hitting Banff's Eric Harvie Theatre on September 19th and Calgary’s Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium on September 21st, 23rd & 24th! With the purchase of a ticket, The Hip are offering their fans the option to pre-order their highly anticipated 12th studio album, We Are The Same, due out April 7th, 2009. With the purchase of the album, Hip fanatics will also receive a bonus live album, Live From The Vault: Volume 4, that is not available in stores.

The Tragically Hip, a dozen albums and 26 years in the making, shows us once again not only why they are but who they are, snowshoeing through new land while sowing seeds for all of us secret musicians and poets and citizens hungry for a chance and a change. We Are the Same, brings its listeners something beyond the unexpected: actual hope. Gord Downie’s lyrics-backed by a band ripe with confidence and skill-tackle what we might assume had passed far under the bridge. Bob Rock recorded and mixed We Are The Same at the band’s Bath House studio in Kingston, Vancouver and Maui.

Critically acclaimed for over two decades, The Tragically Hip has been at the heart of the Canadian music scene for evoking a strong emotional connection between their music and their fans that remains unrivalled in this country. A five-piece group of friends including Robby Baker (guitar), Gordon Downie (vocals, guitar), Johnny Fay (drums), Paul Langlois (guitar) and Gord Sinclair (bass), who grew up in Kingston, Ontario, The Hip has achieved the enviable status of a band that enjoys both mass popularity with over 8 million albums sold worldwide, as well as peer recognition through 31 Juno Award Nominations and 11 wins.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    Hello folks,

It's five weeks and counting until We Are The Same will be released on April 7th in North America. We will have more announcements as April 7th approaches.

Today we are happy to announce the We Are The Same - North American Tour dates and more We Are The Same album pre-sale options.

The We Are The Same - North American Tour starts April 27th in Kitchener, Ontario, and will wind its way across Canada and the US ending in Ottawa on September 28th. The shows will be "An Evening With...", two-set affairs. There will be no support acts for these shows.

Ticket Pre-sales for the tour start on Tuesday, March 3rd at 10:00am for Registered Users of thehip.com.

Make sure you are registered and logged into thehip.com when the password and links become available on this Tuesday March 3rd at 10:00am.

For full tour and ticketing information please check www.thehip.com/shows/

04/27/09: Kitchener: Centre In The Square
    04/28/09: Kitchener: Centre In The Square
    04/29/09: Kitchener: Centre In The Square
    05/01/09: Montreal: Metropolis
    05/02/09: Montreal: Metropolis
    05/04/09: Quebec: Le Capitole
    05/07/09: Philadelphia: The Fillmore At Theatre Of Living Arts
    05/08/09: New York City: Nokia Theatre
    05/09/09: Boston: House Of Blues
    05/11/09: Toronto: Massey Hall
    05/12/09: Toronto: Massey Hall
    05/14/09: Toronto: Massey Hall
    05/15/09: Toronto: Massey Hall
    05/16/09: Toronto: Massey Hall
    05/23/09: Kingston: K-Rock Centre
    05/26/09: Chicago: Vic Theatre
    05/27/09: Chicago: Vic Theatre
    05/29/09: Detroit: The Fillmore
    05/30/09: Detroit: The Fillmore
    05/31/09: Cleveland: House Of Blues
    06/02/09: Lewiston: Artpark
    06/04/09: Lewiston: Artpark
    06/05/09: Lewiston: Artpark
    06/06/09: Lewiston: Artpark
    06/09/09: Los Angeles: The Troubadour
    06/10/09: Los Angeles: The Troubadour
    06/11/09: Los Angeles: The Troubadour
    06/13/09: San Francisco: The Fillmore
    06/14/09: San Francisco: The Fillmore
    06/16/09: Portland: Wonder Ballroom
    06/17/09: Seatle: The Moore Theatre
    06/20/09: Victoria: Save On Foods Memorial Centre
    06/22/09: Vancouver: Orpheum Theatre
    06/23/09: Vancouver: Orpheum Theatre
    06/24/09: Vancouver: Orpheum Theatre
    07/23/09: London: Harris Park
    09/09/09: Winnipeg: Centennial Concert Hall
    09/10/09: Winnipeg: Centennial Concert Hall
    09/11/09: Winnipeg: Centennial Concert Hall
    09/14/09: Edmonton: Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
    09/16/09: Edmonton: Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
    09/17/09: Edmonton: Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
    09/19/09: Banff: Eric Harvie Theatre
    09/21/09: Calgary: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
    09/23/09: Calgary: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
    09/24/09: Calgary: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
    09/26/09: Ottawa: National Arts Centre
    09/27/09: Ottawa: National Arts Centre
    09/28/09: Ottawa: National Arts Centre

We will have more summer shows and European dates to announce soon.

For full tour and ticketing information please check www.thehip.com/shows/

Ticket Pre-sales for the tour start on Tuesday, March 3rd at 10:00am for Registered Users of thehip.com

We Are The Same Pre-Release Purchase Options

There are several pre-release purchase options available that you can take advantage of.

Purchase the pre-release of We Are the Same and receive the album along with bonus material.

hip hip hip....