The Tragically Hip official Thread 2009******

1303132333436»

Comments

• wicked !!! ^^^^
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• ekwiptekwipt Posts: 538
    I held off watching the new doc as I had tix to the Vancouver Film Fest presentation last night with the band and Gord’s bro in attendance. Went to find a restroom before the show and stumbled right into a red carpet photo shoot. They did a Q&A afterwards too. Very cool experience!

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,731
    ekwipt said:
    I held off watching the new doc as I had tix to the Vancouver Film Fest presentation last night with the band and Gord’s bro in attendance. Went to find a restroom before the show and stumbled right into a red carpet photo shoot. They did a Q&A afterwards too. Very cool experience!

Wicked!!! Did they show all four episodes??
  • ekwiptekwipt Posts: 538
    Showed the first 2 parts and then about an hour of discussion. Gonna watch the rest at home tonight. 
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,751
    Finished episode 2 last night...  absolutely fantastic!! 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,762
    They weren’t on my radar at all during their heyday. When I went to the Hamilton and Toronto PJ shows in 22 I saw a lot of Hip shirts and it got me curious about them. I started listening to them on streaming services and was really impressed. I really missed out. I have learned a lot watching the documentary. 
  • Finished episode 1 last night. I had no idea they had a sax player!

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

isn't that wild? I remember learning that years and years ago,and thought, wow, what could have been. Touring with Huey Lewis, collaborations with Kenny G, lol

www.headstonesband.com

isn't that wild? I remember learning that years and years ago,and thought, wow, what could have been. Touring with Huey Lewis, collaborations with Kenny G, lol
    Haha!! The way they edited that in the episode was funny...they show 4 of the guys.....and then zoom right to the sax player haha. I'm glad Robbie got to connect and hug his old friend before he passed. 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• and he was so out of place. he looked like a chiseled old new yorker. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Man...what a documentary. Highly recommend, even if you don't know the hip very well. 

A few notes:

- SNL story was hilarious. I love the fact that Dan A was such a fan that he made it happen
    - As a self proclaimed indie rock expert lol, I'm glad that they touched on the fact that they were in fact popular in the US, and they played in absolutely legendary rooms that Indie gods Pixies, Replacement, Pavement, Guided by Voices, ect.. also played in their heydays. 
    - Great guests speakers / interviews. You can tell when people like Will Arnett were almost crying, it was very real and sincere.
    - Absolutely disgusting behaviour by the paramedics when Gord had his seizure. 
    - The Hip are Canada's band, that's it. 

• the whole "the Hip never made it in the US" is such trash. Playing theatres is not "not making it". Most bands would kill for that success. It's incredibly normal for non-american bands to be a lot more popular in their home country than in the states. Unless you are a superstar. 

www.headstonesband.com

• ZodZod Posts: 10,539
    I mean most of the time I saw Soundgarden play was at small arena's and theatre's.  Only the first year of the reunion did I seem them play a bigger venue.  I'd say they had made it.  Theatre's isn't a bad place to be.  It's considerably better than 200 seat bars :)
  • That is such a huge musical regret in my life - somehow I never saw Soundgarden. I've seen so many of my favorite singers - Maynard James Keenan, Thom Yorke, Ed Ved, Ian Mackaye ect... but somehow never got to see the great Chris Cornell :(

• That is such a huge musical regret in my life - somehow I never saw Soundgarden. I've seen so many of my favorite singers - Maynard James Keenan, Thom Yorke, Ed Ved, Ian Mackaye ect... but somehow never got to see the great Chris Cornell :(
    saw SG in 1994. Backstage passes. Didn't go up to chris. Hung out with Matt after the show. But still, his solo performances were something other worldly. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Man that would have been something! I don't know if this was the same experience with you, but I also had the chance to hang and talk to Ian MacKaye, and even though he was super nice and chatty during the show, I chickened out and didn't go up to him afterwards...he's a legend, you know? 

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Posts: 36,679
    edited October 8
    Man that would have been something! I don't know if this was the same experience with you, but I also had the chance to hang and talk to Ian MacKaye, and even though he was super nice and chatty during the show, I chickened out and didn't go up to him afterwards...he's a legend, you know? 
    absolutely. We saw chris in the catering area prior to the show. But he was walking swiftly and didn't seem approachable, so I didn't. But we laughed with Matt after the show for a good 20 minutes while Ben Shepard was pissing off the roadies by jumping in front of all the tour buses as they were trying to maneuver them around the parking lot. 

the same guy who got us backstage to SG (my boss) also was in Pearl Jam's trailer at Sun (Mud) Fest in 1993. "bunch of stoner idiots" he said. haha
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

www.headstonesband.com

• Man that would have been something! I don't know if this was the same experience with you, but I also had the chance to hang and talk to Ian MacKaye, and even though he was super nice and chatty during the show, I chickened out and didn't go up to him afterwards...he's a legend, you know? 
    absolutely. We saw chris in the catering area prior to the show. But he was walking swiftly and didn't seem approachable, so I didn't. But we laughed with Matt after the show for a good 20 minutes while Ben Shepard was pissing off the roadies by jumping in front of all the tour buses as they were trying to maneuver them around the parking lot. 

the same guy who got us backstage to SG (my boss) also was in Pearl Jam's trailer at Sun (Mud) Fest in 1993. "bunch of stoner idiots" he said. haha
    haha!!

• just got Fully Completely vinyl box set today. It was on sale half off. $140 CDN with shipping. 

www.headstonesband.com

• ZodZod Posts: 10,539
    just got Fully Completely vinyl box set today. It was on sale half off. $140 CDN with shipping. 

That one came with the bluray documentary I think on the another roadside attraction tour.  That's my first hip show, which a bunch of the doc covers as the tour started in Victoria.  So long ago, but such good memories.
  • RansomPTDRansomPTD Posts: 298
    I had always heard of the Hip but never listened. Watching the documentary was awesome! Been listening to them this week and can say they are truly a great band. Gords voice is very unique. 
  • Zod said:
    just got Fully Completely vinyl box set today. It was on sale half off. $140 CDN with shipping. 

That one came with the bluray documentary I think on the another roadside attraction tour.  That's my first hip show, which a bunch of the doc covers as the tour started in Victoria.  So long ago, but such good memories.
    yeah, I've had the cd version of the box set for years. No idea why, I still haven't watched the blu ray Heksenketel. Sounds like a thanksgiving weekend type of endeavor! 

www.headstonesband.com

• someone started a new bootleg archive. https://www.thehiparchive.com/index2.shtml . who knows how long before the band takes it down like the did the other site, but grab some boots while you can

www.headstonesband.com

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,415
    An excellent four part documentary. That final episode was a tear jerker. I had no idea there had been turmoil in the band. I guess like any long, long relationships there's bound to be some things that rile the people involved. * Thank you for that hiparchive website above. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547
    the whole "the Hip never made it in the US" is such trash. Playing theatres is not "not making it". Most bands would kill for that success. It's incredibly normal for non-american bands to be a lot more popular in their home country than in the states. Unless you are a superstar. 
    Zod said:
    I mean most of the time I saw Soundgarden play was at small arena's and theatre's.  Only the first year of the reunion did I seem them play a bigger venue.  I'd say they had made it.  Theatre's isn't a bad place to be.  It's considerably better than 200 seat bars :)

As a yank, and devoted hip fan since the late 90s, unfortunately I must fully and completely disagree. Wish I did not need to.

i will exempt this for American cities within FM reach of Canada. Outside of these areas, no one here knew the hip, back in their prime.

for the many NY area shows I’ve attended in small theaters and concert halls, the majority of fans were Canadian.
  • that's not a surprise. after the hip got big, canadians started taking the short-ish drive to border cities/states so they could see them in much smaller venues. However, they also routinely toured all over, not just cities within reach of the southern ontario border. And they filled theatres. There are tones of bands who come through Winnipeg who play to 1500-2000 people who I've never heard of. That's not the measure of success. That's the measure of not being big. 

For example, I'll pull out another canadian band: July Talk. They play 1000-2000 theatres in Canada, selling out all the time. Does the average joe on the street know who they are? Nope. But are they successful? My measure of success would say so. 

www.headstonesband.com

• 7 years today. Seems like yesterday. 

www.headstonesband.com