Seattle Has Fallen...

Comments

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Any word from Santos yet on whether there will be a CHAZ tax on those new skateboard decks? Happy to pay it...just want to make sure it supports them and not the former regime.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    It's a boogie wonderland!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Sorry, was stuck in a meeting. The autonomous zone is certainly an interesting development, and very unusual, even for Seattle. It seems a bit out there, but the reality also seems to be that the protesters have created a bit of a safe haven. There are food tables with free food for anyone there. There are educational films shown on large screens. People are gathering to discuss the issues and try to come up with solutions. I haven't seen any of the armed patrols at the perimeter, other than from Fox or MyNorthwest which is a right wing, conservative site with stuff from local right wing radio talk show hosts. Most of the footage I've seen on local news shows mostly peaceful people. I'm sure it is disruptive to those who live and work in the autonomous zone, but I also know that the entire time the cops and national guard were there barricading the streets and "dominating" with their show of force, the place was a ticking time bomb, and nearly every night, after a day of peaceful gathering, something would trigger violence from one side or the other, and all hell would break loose with tear gas. Once the national guard was released, and the cops stood down, things have calmed down considerably. We've gone a few nights with zero violence or arrests. So while the situation may be a bit tenuous, and the cops have abandoned and boarded up the east precinct building, things are actually more calm and peaceful than they've been since the protests started. From what I'm hearing the cops are in contact with the protest leaders, and we may at some point see them come together. The protest leaders have been meeting with city officials and even state officials. Concessions have been made (moratorium on gas, spray and rubber bullets. No curfew. No riot cops pushing back protesters), and both sides have deescalated. I'm not sure what the end game is exactly, but as long as they keep talking, and things remain non-violent, I'm hoping this can come to a peaceful resolution and everyone comes out with a better understanding of each other and the community. It seems lawless and dangerous if right wing media is to be believed, but from what I'm hearing from friends there, and what I'm seeing on local news, things are calm and non-violent. The CHAZ folks are policing themselves and if there are armed protesters, I'm certain it is to protect themselves from agitators (like the right wing groups who were spreading Antifa rumors in some of our small towns, causing the hillbillies to show up armed to protect businesses - from nothing). If nothing else, this has been an interesting social study. I hope it leads to positive change.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:
    Sorry, was stuck in a meeting. The autonomous zone is certainly an interesting development, and very unusual, even for Seattle. It seems a bit out there, but the reality also seems to be that the protesters have created a bit of a safe haven. There are food tables with free food for anyone there. There are educational films shown on large screens. People are gathering to discuss the issues and try to come up with solutions. I haven't seen any of the armed patrols at the perimeter, other than from Fox or MyNorthwest which is a right wing, conservative site with stuff from local right wing radio talk show hosts. Most of the footage I've seen on local news shows mostly peaceful people. I'm sure it is disruptive to those who live and work in the autonomous zone, but I also know that the entire time the cops and national guard were there barricading the streets and "dominating" with their show of force, the place was a ticking time bomb, and nearly every night, after a day of peaceful gathering, something would trigger violence from one side or the other, and all hell would break loose with tear gas. Once the national guard was released, and the cops stood down, things have calmed down considerably. We've gone a few nights with zero violence or arrests. So while the situation may be a bit tenuous, and the cops have abandoned and boarded up the east precinct building, things are actually more calm and peaceful than they've been since the protests started. From what I'm hearing the cops are in contact with the protest leaders, and we may at some point see them come together. The protest leaders have been meeting with city officials and even state officials. Concessions have been made (moratorium on gas, spray and rubber bullets. No curfew. No riot cops pushing back protesters), and both sides have deescalated. I'm not sure what the end game is exactly, but as long as they keep talking, and things remain non-violent, I'm hoping this can come to a peaceful resolution and everyone comes out with a better understanding of each other and the community. It seems lawless and dangerous if right wing media is to be believed, but from what I'm hearing from friends there, and what I'm seeing on local news, things are calm and non-violent. The CHAZ folks are policing themselves and if there are armed protesters, I'm certain it is to protect themselves from agitators (like the right wing groups who were spreading Antifa rumors in some of our small towns, causing the hillbillies to show up armed to protect businesses - from nothing). If nothing else, this has been an interesting social study. I hope it leads to positive change.
    So, let me get this straight, Seattle hasn't in fact fallen?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    ...and she can’t get up. 

dignin said:
    jeffbr said:
    Haha, not that I've seen! I was in the city today and it is remarkably quiet and "normal" (except in the autonomous zone apparently). It seems like people outside of Seattle are more concerned than the people in Seattle for some reason.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    thread title is a little dramatic, wouldn't you say?
    Yeah I thought for sure the Russians had landed lol 
    Red Dawn -Seattle
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    BS44325 said:
    brianlux said:
    "Seattle has fallen" will probably be the first words out of Tucker Carlson's mouth tonight. I think that's a bit of hyperbole. I think Seattle's leaders are like "Whatever, let these people have their little protest and we'll keep out of it because we've seen how well intervening has gone around the country."

That said, I think the whole thing is ridiculous. People walking around with AR-15's and shit. The same liberals that decry that sort of thing don't seem to mind in this instance. Hopefully nobody gets hurt. 

How many protesters there are walking around with AR-15's?  Is this a common sight there?  Is having protesters there carry such weapons there generally accepted or encouraged?
    Only the ones guarding the perimeter wall And checking ID’s are carrying. Don’t listen to Ledbetterman10 Brian...just because they have a border wall, demand ID, and carry assault weapons it doesn’t mean shit. It is a progressive utopia and it will be awesome.
    What are you talking about? I'm agreeing with you but just not going as far as to say "Seattle has fallen" because that would suggest a violent, hostile takeover. That didn't happen. Liberal pussies are simply allowing it. You can't say "it's fallen" when what's happening is allowed, and there's been no violence. You're giving the protesters too much credit, and the leaders not enough blame. 
    I agree. Seems like the local government is just allowing it rather than put up any fuss.

From what I’ve read seems a lot like Occupy Wall St. These guys will get bored of playing protest and leave after a few days. That is if the locals don’t get tired of putting with it first.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Seems like the reports of Seattle’s fall have been greatly exaggerated. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    dankind said:

Is that Big Bank Hank?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Haha, I just got an email from the Republican Party of Washington. "some kind of beatnik festival" :lol:  Man, perhaps I'm living in a war zone and just don't know it. Funny how Bob Ferguson is brought up, too. He doesn't have much to do with this current stuff, but the GOP hate him because he's always one of the first AGs to sue the Trump administration for something idiotic they're doing.
    Hi JEFFREY,

"You are now leaving the USA"

That's what the sign says as you look into what Seattle radical activists have dubbed the CHAZ, or Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone.  Can you believe that? Once again Seattle is in the spotlight and once again it's for the wrong reason. Jay Inslee and Jenny Durkan are the laughing stock of the country.

After years of Bob Ferguson declining cases, failing to prosecute criminals, and pandering to the Democrats dangerous base, the chaos we are seeing in Seattle is the natural progression of lawlessness.
    Complete with armed guards and border walls - we are seeing a culmination of the Democrats' failed policies with the radical occupation of six city blocks and the media is treating it like some kind of beatnik festival.

Enough is enough - we're bringing our message to TV and radio to bypass the liberal media and share the truth about the complete lawlessness brought on by failed Democratic leadership.  Pitch in today and help us raise enough money to start running tv, radio, and digital ads so we can spread the word and send Jay Inslee and Bob Ferguson to retirement in the CHAZ in November!
    PITCH IN TODAY!

Thank you,
    Caleb
    Chairman
    Washington State Republican Party
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Trolling 101 Canadian style
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    jeffbr said:
    Haha, I just got an email from the Republican Party of Washington. "some kind of beatnik festival" :lol:  Man, perhaps I'm living in a war zone and just don't know it. Funny how Bob Ferguson is brought up, too. He doesn't have much to do with this current stuff, but the GOP hate him because he's always one of the first AGs to sue the Trump administration for something idiotic they're doing.
    Hi JEFFREY,

"You are now leaving the USA"

That's what the sign says as you look into what Seattle radical activists have dubbed the CHAZ, or Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone.  Can you believe that? Once again Seattle is in the spotlight and once again it's for the wrong reason. Jay Inslee and Jenny Durkan are the laughing stock of the country.

After years of Bob Ferguson declining cases, failing to prosecute criminals, and pandering to the Democrats dangerous base, the chaos we are seeing in Seattle is the natural progression of lawlessness.
    Complete with armed guards and border walls - we are seeing a culmination of the Democrats' failed policies with the radical occupation of six city blocks and the media is treating it like some kind of beatnik festival.

Enough is enough - we're bringing our message to TV and radio to bypass the liberal media and share the truth about the complete lawlessness brought on by failed Democratic leadership.  Pitch in today and help us raise enough money to start running tv, radio, and digital ads so we can spread the word and send Jay Inslee and Bob Ferguson to retirement in the CHAZ in November!
    PITCH IN TODAY!

Thank you,
    Caleb
    Chairman
    Washington State Republican Party
    So border walls and armed guards are no longer cool with the RNC? Interesting development. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited June 2020
    mace1229 said:
    BS44325 said:
    brianlux said:
    "Seattle has fallen" will probably be the first words out of Tucker Carlson's mouth tonight. I think that's a bit of hyperbole. I think Seattle's leaders are like "Whatever, let these people have their little protest and we'll keep out of it because we've seen how well intervening has gone around the country."

That said, I think the whole thing is ridiculous. People walking around with AR-15's and shit. The same liberals that decry that sort of thing don't seem to mind in this instance. Hopefully nobody gets hurt. 

How many protesters there are walking around with AR-15's?  Is this a common sight there?  Is having protesters there carry such weapons there generally accepted or encouraged?
    Only the ones guarding the perimeter wall And checking ID’s are carrying. Don’t listen to Ledbetterman10 Brian...just because they have a border wall, demand ID, and carry assault weapons it doesn’t mean shit. It is a progressive utopia and it will be awesome.
    What are you talking about? I'm agreeing with you but just not going as far as to say "Seattle has fallen" because that would suggest a violent, hostile takeover. That didn't happen. Liberal pussies are simply allowing it. You can't say "it's fallen" when what's happening is allowed, and there's been no violence. You're giving the protesters too much credit, and the leaders not enough blame. 
    I agree. Seems like the local government is just allowing it rather than put up any fuss.

From what I’ve read seems a lot like Occupy Wall St. These guys will get bored of playing protest and leave after a few days. That is if the locals don’t get tired of putting with it first.
    Yeah if I was a local, I guess dealing with the noise and traffic inconvenience of a protest comes with choosing to live downtown. But if the reports are true, and there’s actually people outside the barricades checking IDs of the locals so they could pass, I would have a big problem with that if I lived there. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    jeffbr said:
    dignin said:
    jeffbr said:
    Haha, not that I've seen! I was in the city today and it is remarkably quiet and "normal" (except in the autonomous zone apparently). It seems like people outside of Seattle are more concerned than the people in Seattle for some reason.

Same thing here in Minneapolis/St Paul. The outstate rural folks were fairly reserved in responses regarding Mr Floyd’s murder. Lots of “the cop shouldn’t have done that” comments. But the morning after the first night of rioting, they lost their fucking minds. People and family members of mine who would never go to the impacted neighborhoods, let alone spend a nickel in any of the locally owned business that burned, expressed grief and anger like it was their own home being burned down. They’re still more pissed than us that live here about the property damage, to the point that I think they’ve forgot the police once again murdered a member of the Twin Cities community.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RIP Seattle!

Oh, wait, it's a just a big pile of BS from BS? 
    That makes more sense lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited June 2020
    Jason P said:
    Capital Hills is (was) a trendy, affluent expensive neighborhood near university of washington.  Apartments start at around $500K.  Houses around $1M.  It's a great place to set up camp.  I'm sure they have good WiFi.  Best places to live in Seattle:

Ballard
    Capital Hill
    West Seattle
    Belltown

I'm sure this will all go well.  I say let em' have it and let's see what happens.  
    I'm catching up w this thread and I was amazed at how nice Capital Hill is now.  I lived there in 96 and it wasn't the best place to be at but it was cheap.  Far cry from what it was now.

Oh and in 96/97 I was in Ballard too, another cheap place.  My how the world changes, lol.  Used to hang out at the firehouse and see shows there.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    When I first visited Seattle in the 90s I thought Capital Hill was very similar to my own neighborhood of the East Village in NYC. Same vibe. It sounds like they are still the same now as well in terms of gentrification. I still live in the East Village, and it has become a completely different neighborhood from when I first moved here.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:

Oh my dear. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    BS44325 said:

Ok boomer.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    It's crazy how, even when people have taken over 6 square blocks of a major city, the discussion is nothing but petty partisan bickering 
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    pjl44 said:
    It's crazy how, even when people have taken over 6 square blocks of a major city, the discussion is nothing but petty partisan bickering 

I wonder why....

Seattle Has Fallen...

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    BS44325 said:
    brianlux said:

All kidding aside (but who is kidding, right :wink: ), I think it's great that people of younger generations are trying something new and "revolutionary"  (but, sorry, the revolution will not be televised), and I wish them best of luck.  And not to disparage or slight any such efforts, I would suggest people be cautious about getting too excited about unrealistic outcomes.  I lived in San Francisco in the late 60's/ early 70 and have seen "progressive utopias" rise and fall.  The only true utopia is in one's mind.  All the rest is hard work that requires persistence, patience, planning, forward thinking objectives, working in the real world at large, and a great deal effort to make change.  It's also useful to see such hope as not expecting things to turn out exactly as one hopes, but to continue to do what makes sense no matter how things turn out.  And after all that, if lucky, something good may come out of it all.

So yeah, the Seattle Autonomous Zone will very likely not last, but maybe the idealism of those working with this experiment will lead to some positive changes in the world.  You can't knock that. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    BS44325 said:
    And the dreams of A Moving Train are fully realized. Long live the Capital Hill Autonomous Zone in all her glory!
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/welcome-to-the-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone-where-seattle-protesters-gather-without-police/

https://gofile.io/d/IffAr1

Next hometown show is gonna be lit!
    all this time, i seem to recall you shouting you weren't tired of winning. so, are you tired of winning now? or did you just misspell whining?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    Jason P said:
    Capital Hills is (was) a trendy, affluent expensive neighborhood near university of washington.  Apartments start at around $500K.  Houses around $1M.  It's a great place to set up camp.  I'm sure they have good WiFi.  Best places to live in Seattle:

Ballard
    Capital Hill
    West Seattle
    Belltown

I'm sure this will all go well.  I say let em' have it and let's see what happens.  
    Totally. I’m all for it and hope it goes on for weeks. This is the sociological experiment the world needs!
    I guess the Team Trump Treason experiment wasn't interesting or ruinous enough for you? So, tell us professor, who's behind the Occupy CHAZ Movement?
    How should I know who is behind it? Isn’t it just free people setting up a new progressive police-free utopia? Either way it is super cool and I can’t wait to see how it will all play out.
    Is it about "free people setting up a new progressive police-free utopia?" How would you describe the Bundy's occupation of their cattle ranch on Federal land? Or the nature preserve in Washington State? Is that a conservative police-free utopia? Or indigenous peoples protesting/occupying because of the Keystone Pipeline? Super cool, eh?

God, Canada is so boring. Maybe you guys need to lose a Stanley Cup 7th Game or something?
    we have a PM that is criticized for his hair and being adept at calming children. 

it's amazing we function as neighbours. fucking homer simpson and ned flanders. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2020
    It’s a CHAZ-AMT-Wishlist Foundation meetup! Is there a secret Gigaton show tonight? People are getting hype!

https://twitter.com/julio_rosas11/status/1271243408724520962?s=21

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    mace1229 said:
    Yeah I thought for sure the Russians had landed lol 
    Red Dawn -Seattle
    With no Patrick Swayze to save us this time.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    BS44325 said:
    It’s a CHAZ-AMT-Wishlist Foundation meetup! Is there a secret Gigaton show tonight? People are getting hype!

https://twitter.com/julio_rosas11/status/1271243408724520962?s=21

Is Reynolds a publicly traded company?  I'm thinking I need to invest in premium aluminum foil producers, the ceiling just gets higher and higher.  I think 2021 is going to be a record breaking year for them. So many hats...
    SEATTLE HAS FALLEN!
    This is BIGGER THAN WATERGATE! 
    🤣🤣🤣