Seattle Has Fallen...

Comments

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    Damn those dirty hippies. Totally sounds like Seattle has fallen.

June 11, 2020 at 7:36 p.m. EDT

SEATTLE — This week, Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood embarked on a radical experiment in self-government.

Activists have taken over a six-block area surrounding a police precinct, declaring it an “autonomous zone.” Those who have gathered say they make decisions about their space by consensus. The decentralized movement has no leaders and no spokespeople, and one core demand: that police officers stay away.

The zone has attracted the attention of President Trump and other Republicans, who have urged the Seattle mayor and Washington governor to “take back” the city. “If you don’t do it, I will,” Trump tweeted Thursday, suggesting “domestic terrorists” are at the heart of the project.

But the neighborhood’s residents and activists say the autonomous zone is nothing of the sort. Locals describe a block party-like atmosphere with concerts and movie screenings. Protesters have set up barricades so cars can’t get through. Volunteers give out free food and medical care and take turns performing night watch and other civic services.

The city is providing trash pickup and portable restrooms serviced daily.

And even as a handful of armed Seattle Police Department officers began making their way back into the East Precinct on Thursday, the situation remained peaceful. Protesters are still encamped around the station, putting finishing touches on a new “BLACK LIVES MATTER” street mural modeled on the nation’s capital.

The “autonomous zone” is nestled in a normally bustling strip of bars, restaurants and apartment buildings. It was borne out of protests against police brutality, sparked by the killing of George Floyd while in police custody.

On June 1, protesters marched from downtown Seattle up to Capitol Hill. When they found their route blocked by barricades set up around the neighborhood’s police precinct, the crowd swelled and police eventually declared a riot.

Protesters returned daily, and the situation devolved into a tense seven-day standoff. Police deployed tear gas, pepper spray and blast balls on multiple nights. On Sunday, a man attempted to drive his car into the crowd then shot a protester before surrendering to police.

The scene shifted Monday, when the Seattle Police Department vacated its building, leaving the neighborhood to the protesters. As the last officers rode off on bicycles, a crowd streamed past the barricades in a victory parade.

Once the police left, protesters immediately took over the intersection to ensure it would remain police-free. They repurposed barricades set up to protect the precinct, using them instead to block roads, effectively turning a six-block area into a pedestrian zone.

Artists set to work stenciling, tagging and muraling messages and symbols such as “Black Lives Matter,” “RIP George Floyd,” and “ACAB” or “1312,” shorthand for “All cops are b------s,” on the precinct and surrounded walls.

Volunteers served at medical aid stations and staffed pop-ups such as the “No Cop Co-Op,” a tent filled with free snacks. Pho and coffee were distributed to the activists camping in tents. On Tuesday and Wednesday nights, someone set up a projector to host outdoor film screenings of documentaries such as Ava Duvernay’s “13th” and “Paris is Burning.”

The nearby Domino’s Pizza was flooded with delivery calls. On Thursday morning, a UPS deliveryman arrived with an Amazon package addressed to “PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF PRECINCT (ANY PROTESTERS)” at the East Precinct’s address.

A volunteer at a medical aid station signed for the package. Inside was a blanket.

Members of the Puget Sound John Brown Gun Club, which provides armed community defense for anti-racist events and other social justice activities, were on site, standing near the barricades with no visible weapons.

At least one person had a gun on his waist; he was not a member of the John Brown club. Washington is an open-carry state, although Mayor Jenny Durkan banned weapons in an emergency order following the first major protest on May 30.

Residents of the autonomous zone worked together to address conflicts through negotiation and de-escalation. When a group of individuals attempted to break into the precinct between 4 and 5 a.m. on Thursday morning, other members of the community convinced them to stop.

By 6 a.m., roughly a dozen young men were engaged in a heated discussion in the middle of the street about why one would want to trespass in the precinct.

At a Thursday afternoon news conference, Durkan said city officials continue to monitor the situation.

“SPD did an assessment today, and there is going to be an ongoing assessment about when it is going to be safe to move in there,” she said.

“We don’t want to introduce additional flash points.”

J. Cam Manny, a restaurant manager who has bartended in the neighborhood for years, lives in an apartment building inside the autonomous zone.

He stayed through the seven-night police standoff and the three-night experiment without cops. “As someone who works in the bars in the area, I see more violence on any given Friday and Saturday night on the street, pre-pandemic, than I do in these last three nights here in my neighborhood,” he said.

“They call for medics, people are being proactive, and they are understanding that everyone is in a very heightened situation of tension and frustration and doing a pretty good job of working it out,” Manny said.

On Wednesday evening, Manny began talking with protesters about the need for vehicular access to allow for package and grocery delivery, as well as trash pickup. What started as a yelling match settled into a cordial dialogue, with Manny’s dog serving as an icebreaker.

“That’s the magic about a small community,” said David Lewis, a project manager at Lululemon who described himself as a “facilitator” of the Seattle protests. “This has become a micro-neighborhood, a microcosm. In a small population it is very easy to self-protect — I am hesitant to use the word police — with a unified message and a community in which everybody knows each other.”

“With conversation and dialogue built on the foundation of respect, we can and have been able to de-escalate every situation,” he said.

But, he added, there are challenges, particularly since the president’s tweets.

“Having a community that is autonomously policing is ideal and beautiful. I’m absolutely for that, given the right structure,” he said. “That said, declaring autonomy against a city or against a nation like America is by no means a goal I wish to stand behind at this moment.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/activists-take-over-a-seattle-neighborhood-banishing-the-police/2020/06/11/7172e1e6-ac24-11ea-a9d9-a81c1a491c52_story.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited June 2020
    rgambs said:
    BS44325 said:
    It’s a CHAZ-AMT-Wishlist Foundation meetup! Is there a secret Gigaton show tonight? People are getting hype!

https://twitter.com/julio_rosas11/status/1271243408724520962?s=21

Is Reynolds a publicly traded company?  I'm thinking I need to invest in premium aluminum foil producers, the ceiling just gets higher and higher.  I think 2021 is going to be a record breaking year for them. So many hats...
    It is. They went public earlier this year. Reynolds produces the “store brand” tinfoil sold bu Whole Foods and Amazon. I own some shares. Ticker: REYN. Trading at around $32-34 a share.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    "seattle has fallen" sounds like the title of the dope ass new album from the melvins.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Damn those dirty hippies. Totally sounds like Seattle has fallen.

June 11, 2020 at 7:36 p.m. EDT

SEATTLE — This week, Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood embarked on a radical experiment in self-government.

Activists have taken over a six-block area surrounding a police precinct, declaring it an “autonomous zone.” Those who have gathered say they make decisions about their space by consensus. The decentralized movement has no leaders and no spokespeople, and one core demand: that police officers stay away.

The zone has attracted the attention of President Trump and other Republicans, who have urged the Seattle mayor and Washington governor to “take back” the city. “If you don’t do it, I will,” Trump tweeted Thursday, suggesting “domestic terrorists” are at the heart of the project.

But the neighborhood’s residents and activists say the autonomous zone is nothing of the sort. Locals describe a block party-like atmosphere with concerts and movie screenings. Protesters have set up barricades so cars can’t get through. Volunteers give out free food and medical care and take turns performing night watch and other civic services.

The city is providing trash pickup and portable restrooms serviced daily.

And even as a handful of armed Seattle Police Department officers began making their way back into the East Precinct on Thursday, the situation remained peaceful. Protesters are still encamped around the station, putting finishing touches on a new “BLACK LIVES MATTER” street mural modeled on the nation’s capital.

The “autonomous zone” is nestled in a normally bustling strip of bars, restaurants and apartment buildings. It was borne out of protests against police brutality, sparked by the killing of George Floyd while in police custody.

On June 1, protesters marched from downtown Seattle up to Capitol Hill. When they found their route blocked by barricades set up around the neighborhood’s police precinct, the crowd swelled and police eventually declared a riot.

Protesters returned daily, and the situation devolved into a tense seven-day standoff. Police deployed tear gas, pepper spray and blast balls on multiple nights. On Sunday, a man attempted to drive his car into the crowd then shot a protester before surrendering to police.

The scene shifted Monday, when the Seattle Police Department vacated its building, leaving the neighborhood to the protesters. As the last officers rode off on bicycles, a crowd streamed past the barricades in a victory parade.

Once the police left, protesters immediately took over the intersection to ensure it would remain police-free. They repurposed barricades set up to protect the precinct, using them instead to block roads, effectively turning a six-block area into a pedestrian zone.

Artists set to work stenciling, tagging and muraling messages and symbols such as “Black Lives Matter,” “RIP George Floyd,” and “ACAB” or “1312,” shorthand for “All cops are b------s,” on the precinct and surrounded walls.

Volunteers served at medical aid stations and staffed pop-ups such as the “No Cop Co-Op,” a tent filled with free snacks. Pho and coffee were distributed to the activists camping in tents. On Tuesday and Wednesday nights, someone set up a projector to host outdoor film screenings of documentaries such as Ava Duvernay’s “13th” and “Paris is Burning.”

The nearby Domino’s Pizza was flooded with delivery calls. On Thursday morning, a UPS deliveryman arrived with an Amazon package addressed to “PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF PRECINCT (ANY PROTESTERS)” at the East Precinct’s address.

A volunteer at a medical aid station signed for the package. Inside was a blanket.

Members of the Puget Sound John Brown Gun Club, which provides armed community defense for anti-racist events and other social justice activities, were on site, standing near the barricades with no visible weapons.

At least one person had a gun on his waist; he was not a member of the John Brown club. Washington is an open-carry state, although Mayor Jenny Durkan banned weapons in an emergency order following the first major protest on May 30.

Residents of the autonomous zone worked together to address conflicts through negotiation and de-escalation. When a group of individuals attempted to break into the precinct between 4 and 5 a.m. on Thursday morning, other members of the community convinced them to stop.

By 6 a.m., roughly a dozen young men were engaged in a heated discussion in the middle of the street about why one would want to trespass in the precinct.

At a Thursday afternoon news conference, Durkan said city officials continue to monitor the situation.

“SPD did an assessment today, and there is going to be an ongoing assessment about when it is going to be safe to move in there,” she said.

“We don’t want to introduce additional flash points.”

J. Cam Manny, a restaurant manager who has bartended in the neighborhood for years, lives in an apartment building inside the autonomous zone.

He stayed through the seven-night police standoff and the three-night experiment without cops. “As someone who works in the bars in the area, I see more violence on any given Friday and Saturday night on the street, pre-pandemic, than I do in these last three nights here in my neighborhood,” he said.

“They call for medics, people are being proactive, and they are understanding that everyone is in a very heightened situation of tension and frustration and doing a pretty good job of working it out,” Manny said.

On Wednesday evening, Manny began talking with protesters about the need for vehicular access to allow for package and grocery delivery, as well as trash pickup. What started as a yelling match settled into a cordial dialogue, with Manny’s dog serving as an icebreaker.

“That’s the magic about a small community,” said David Lewis, a project manager at Lululemon who described himself as a “facilitator” of the Seattle protests. “This has become a micro-neighborhood, a microcosm. In a small population it is very easy to self-protect — I am hesitant to use the word police — with a unified message and a community in which everybody knows each other.”

“With conversation and dialogue built on the foundation of respect, we can and have been able to de-escalate every situation,” he said.

But, he added, there are challenges, particularly since the president’s tweets.

“Having a community that is autonomously policing is ideal and beautiful. I’m absolutely for that, given the right structure,” he said. “That said, declaring autonomy against a city or against a nation like America is by no means a goal I wish to stand behind at this moment.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/activists-take-over-a-seattle-neighborhood-banishing-the-police/2020/06/11/7172e1e6-ac24-11ea-a9d9-a81c1a491c52_story.html
    I'm glad that nothing is going on bad there.  They tried this in NYC with no police present during the protests and it ended up in opportunists looting.

This seems to not be the case.

I will be watching!

On Thursday morning, a UPS deliveryman arrived with an Amazon package addressed to “PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF PRECINCT (ANY PROTESTERS)” at the East Precinct’s address.

This may have been a bad idea to share.  I can only imagine the idiots that will use this as an opportunity to do stupid shit...

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Seattle has fallen?

So has this thread and, at times, this place as well. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    "seattle has fallen" sounds like the title of the dope ass new album from the melvins.
    or the next installment in those awful (City) Has Fallen movie franchise. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

hedonist said:
    Seattle has fallen?

So has this thread and, at times, this place as well. 
    Youll Never Be Alone - Animal Comedy - Animal Comedy funny
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    This should end well. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 
    I wondering how it'll all end too. It's pretty peaceful now according to reports. But what's going to happen when the party's over and they're told to go home? If that day even comes. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 
    I wondering how it'll all end too. It's pretty peaceful now according to reports. But what's going to happen when the party's over and they're told to go home? If that day even comes. 
    It’s peaceful depending on who you ask. It’s maddening. One report says it’s peaceful, one report mentions a warlord, another report mentions harassment. I know I wouldn’t want anything like this happening near me. That’s just my opinion. Humans are not civilized enough to pull this off. 
    edited June 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 
    It’s peaceful depending on who you ask. It’s maddening. One report says it’s peaceful, one report mentions a warlord, another report mentions harassment. I know I wouldn’t want anything like this happening near me. That’s just my opinion. Humans are not civilized enough to pull this off. 
    Well I can’t be certain it’s completely peaceful, but there hasn’t been any fires or assaults that I know of. If local businesses are really being extorted though, that’s bullshit. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    edited June 2020
    You can watch a lot of the CHAZ streams via Twitch, later on each day. (The Woke channel is pretty good for amalgamating and covering on-the-ground footage of worldwide - and especially Seattle and Portland - protests.) Occasionally there are feeds on Woke from Raz Simone's FB page, so you can make up your own mind objectively about the true extent of his role in the CHAZ community.
    Post edited by FinsburyParkCarrots on
    dankind said:
    It's a boogie wonderland!

Hank!
    You can watch a lot of the CHAZ streams via Twitch, later on each day. (The Woke channel is pretty good for amalgamating and covering on-the-ground footage of worldwide - and especially Seattle and Portland - protests.) Occasionally there are feeds from Raz Simone, so you can make up your own mind objectively about the true extent of his role in the CHAZ community.
    I went to Twitch and searched CHAZ, WOKE, and Raz Simone and came up empty each time.
    edited June 2020
    You can watch a lot of the CHAZ streams via Twitch, later on each day. (The Woke channel is pretty good for amalgamating and covering on-the-ground footage of worldwide - and especially Seattle and Portland - protests.) Occasionally there are feeds from Raz Simone, so you can make up your own mind objectively about the true extent of his role in the CHAZ community.
    I went to Twitch and searched CHAZ, WOKE, and Raz Simone and came up empty each time.
    https://www.twitch.tv/woke 
    Try this. It usually comes on, mid-afternoon PST. (Raz broadcasts on Facebook Live, btw, and Woke might carry the stream if it's interesting.)

Here's a list of current online protest streams:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/9/d/e/2PACX-1vRwy_RmqgnDQiYnzJDpvQA3t_q1XgJB42L1PrzDj9yLhhoSf899fH51fSnIaWwNNX1qELmyH9I2qQhc/pubhtml

Post edited by FinsburyParkCarrots on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited June 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this ends differently than it started by being infiltrated by those who are fearful of social change.  It's happened numerous times.  Instead of focusing on what may happen or predicting a bad ending, I'm thrilled to see social experimentation and hopeful that something good will come out of what is happening NOW because right now, it's going well.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Business have said via CNBC and USA TODAY  ( only pieces I saw today ) that they are not being extorted for funds and they have actual all gotten a business bump from the citizens going to purchase food and the such.

No vandalism and the residents helping to pick up the streets from when the police were there and it was getting out of control.

brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this ends differently than it started by being infiltrated by those who are fearful of social change.  It's happened numerous times.  Instead of focusing on what may happen or predicting a bad ending, I'm thrilled to see social experimentation and hopeful that something good will come out of what is happening NOW because right now, it's going well.
    What good do you think could come from it? It's basically just a hippie block party. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

What good do you think could come from it? It's basically just a hippie block party. 
    Not basically. It is. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

Given the choice between a hippie block party and an area full of police in riot gear harassing and harming citizens, I know where I'd rather be. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited June 2020
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

Given the choice between a hippie block party and an area full of police in riot gear harassing and harming citizens, I know where I'd rather be. 
    Yeah of course you'd rather be a hippie block party. Who wouldn't? I'm just saying that's all it is. Brain being "thrilled" over the social experimentation and his hope that something good will come out of it, while well-meaning, is just delusional. It's not even a protest if there's no cops there to protest at. And it's not really a demonstration if it's not being widely broadcast, so people that don't share their opinion can't even be influenced by them. So it's nothing. Just young liberals hanging out...and there's nothing wrong with that. But that's all it is. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

Yeah of course you'd rather be a hippie block party. Who wouldn't? I'm just saying that's all it is. Brain being "thrilled" over the social experimentation and his hope that something good will come out of it, while well-meaning, is just delusional. It's not even a protest if there's no cops there to protest at. And it's not really a demonstration if it's not being widely broadcast, so people that don't share their opinion can't even be influenced by them. So it's nothing. Just young liberals hanging out...and there's nothing wrong with that. But that's all it is. 

I will not respond to people who cannot spell my name correctly or call me delusional.  Good bye.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited June 2020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

I will not respond to people who cannot spell my name correctly or call me delusional.  Good bye.

Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

See ya...

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

So you believe it’s impossible for people gathering peacefully in a spirit of community engagement to make changes in their own community? That’s quite odd. There is plenty of precedent for people to improve their communities in this manner. 

I would also disagree with your opinion that it’s not a protest if there are no police to protest “at”. There is no requirement for a protest to be directly “at” a group for it to be effective. Case in point, Greta Thunberg’s protest, which started with her simply sitting quietly outside of school one day a week, I believe.  The fact that she was not right in front of polluters was irrelevant. 
    Delusional seems to be the new AMT insult used by people who don’t know what it actually means. 
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 

So you believe it’s impossible for people gathering peacefully in a spirit of community engagement to make changes in their own community? That’s quite odd. There is plenty of precedent for people to improve their communities in this manner. 

I would also disagree with your opinion that it’s not a protest if there are no police to protest “at”. There is no requirement for a protest to be directly “at” a group for it to be effective. Case in point, Greta Thunberg’s protest, which started with her simply sitting quietly outside of school one day a week, I believe.  The fact that she was not right in front of polluters was irrelevant. 
    Oh I agree peacefully gathering and protesting can cause change. I don't think this will though. What change is going come? No more police? Of course not. Police reform? Maybe based on the nationwide protests as a whole, but not by some city giving up six blocks to protesters. 

As for the Greta comparison, you're saying that people don't need to be in front of the person they're protesting for them to hear. I agree. But who is hearing or listening to CHAZ right now? Seems like an echo chamber if there's no dissenting views or debate. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This should end well. 
    As I've mentioned, only Fox and MyNorthwest, both right wing news sources, have pushed the violence side. Mainstream local news sources with reporters on the street find no such violence or gun toting. A reporter from Q13 Fox News, our local Fox affiliate (although the Fox thing is recent) was on location reporting last night, and mentioned that he had been there for days and had not seen what some outlets were reporting. The same story with local ABC, CBS and NBC affiliates who also do remotes from CHAZ during the news. I have never seen any indication that there is violence once the police stood down. That is simply a right-wing scare tactic designed to assist Trump with his ANTIFA fantasies.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08