White Privilege

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Those who are objecting to the protests are also "condoning violence"; it's just that it's police violence that they're condoning. Because it's a certainty that other methods have not been effective in combating police violence. 
    I guess you’ve got to be okay with store owners using violence to combat the looters, etc, etc, etc 
    Yup.  Protesting is not burning and looting...
    Exactly
    Well, they've tried peacefully protesting (e.g. Kaepernick's anthem kneeling) and white amerikkka has a problem with that, too, so... protesting is now burning and looting. :i_dunno: I say go for it! Burn it all down.  Start over.
    And you can’t think of anything between kneeling down before and NFL game and burning an entire city of innocent people and dragging cops who had nothing tondo with the incident through the city?
    I can think of a lot of in between that was skipped over.
    mace1229 said:
    Apologies if this has already been stated but white privilege started in 1619, over 400 years ago. So violence after 400 years seems reasonable, no? I wish they would stop hurting businesses, but go ahead and burn precincts and beat as many cops as you want.  400 years is a long time to make up for. 
    100% wrong and offensive. Not all cops are bad and racists, most don’t deserve beatings. This is just a ridiculous statement. My brother will likely be in LA on riot patrol Monday, I’m praying his safety.
    If you condone violence against cops you are just as evil of a person who condones violence because of race.
    Cops are people, they have lives and families. Promoting going out and beating random cops makes you a horrible person if you meant that.
    If you have 10 bad cops and 1000 “good” cops that do nothing to stop the ten bad cops you have 1010 bad cops.  At this point anyone that has been looking the other way is as guilty as the racist asshole doing the crime.  

These protests are getting out of control because nothing has changed for years.  Add that you have angry white people that just want to riot coopting the movement to just have a rush of rioting.  I was out supporting my community in Austin yesterday. The BLM organizers kept telling people don’t allow the movement to get coopted by people looking for violence that gives the cops reason to shoot and gives the news crews the footage they need to delegitimize our movement.  Eventually things started getting crazy because the opportunists started stirring the anger which when you have a lot of angry people isn’t hard to do.  We left when the pepper spray and rubber bullets started Flying but there were four hours of peaceful protests before bad actors took over and started throwing water bottles at cops.  As night wore on things got crazier.

the organizers of today’s “Justice for them all” march planned in Austin cancelled because they felt that their non violent protest was going to be taken over by the same group of largely white thrill seekers and couldn’t assure everyone’s safety.

so here we are you have white cops causing horrific problems and then you have white people stirring shit up and keeping peaceful protests from actually happening(at least in my city). What options are there. My black family in friends still have to live with clear and present stress everyday even after years of peaceful protests that have largely been talked as if they are overblown and that the problems of the black community aren’t as bad as people say.
    Glad to see someone actually gets it.  So you think all these people who don’t get it turn their backs when WMA is sung at a concert?  He’ll no, there’re all singing and jumping around.  
    It’s sad and I think that a lot of people lack any real connection to the black community through family or deep friendships.  I’m not saying I know what the exact right thing to do is, but I listen to what I’m told by t he POC in my life and support them because their struggles are real and very ignored and downplayed.  It’s disgusting and I’m only sorry that I can’t do more to help from my end.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Those who are objecting to the protests are also "condoning violence"; it's just that it's police violence that they're condoning. Because it's a certainty that other methods have not been effective in combating police violence. 
    I guess you’ve got to be okay with store owners using violence to combat the looters, etc, etc, etc 
    Exactly
    Well, they've tried peacefully protesting (e.g. Kaepernick's anthem kneeling) and white amerikkka has a problem with that, too, so... protesting is now burning and looting. :i_dunno: I say go for it! Burn it all down.  Start over.
    And you can’t think of anything between kneeling down before and NFL game and burning an entire city of innocent people and dragging cops who had nothing tondo with the incident through the city?
    mace1229 said:
    Apologies if this has already been stated but white privilege started in 1619, over 400 years ago. So violence after 400 years seems reasonable, no? I wish they would stop hurting businesses, but go ahead and burn precincts and beat as many cops as you want.  400 years is a long time to make up for. 
    100% wrong and offensive. Not all cops are bad and racists, most don’t deserve beatings. This is just a ridiculous statement. My brother will likely be in LA on riot patrol Monday, I’m praying his safety.
    If you condone violence against cops you are just as evil of a person who condones violence because of race.
    Cops are people, they have lives and families. Promoting going out and beating random cops makes you a horrible person if you meant that.
    If you have 10 bad cops and 1000 “good” cops that do nothing to stop the ten bad cops you have 1010 bad cops.  At this point anyone that has been looking the other way is as guilty as the racist asshole doing the crime.  

These protests are getting out of control because nothing has changed for years.  Add that you have angry white people that just want to riot coopting the movement to just have a rush of rioting.  I was out supporting my community in Austin yesterday. The BLM organizers kept telling people don’t allow the movement to get coopted by people looking for violence that gives the cops reason to shoot and gives the news crews the footage they need to delegitimize our movement.  Eventually things started getting crazy because the opportunists started stirring the anger which when you have a lot of angry people isn’t hard to do.  We left when the pepper spray and rubber bullets started Flying but there were four hours of peaceful protests before bad actors took over and started throwing water bottles at cops.  As night wore on things got crazier.

the organizers of today’s “Justice for them all” march planned in Austin cancelled because they felt that their non violent protest was going to be taken over by the same group of largely white thrill seekers and couldn’t assure everyone’s safety.

so here we are you have white cops causing horrific problems and then you have white people stirring shit up and keeping peaceful protests from actually happening(at least in my city). What options are there. My black family in friends still have to live with clear and present stress everyday even after years of peaceful protests that have largely been talked as if they are overblown and that the problems of the black community aren’t as bad as people say.
    Glad to see someone actually gets it.  So you think all these people who don’t get it turn their backs when WMA is sung at a concert?  He’ll no, there’re all singing and jumping around.  
    It’s sad and I think that a lot of people lack any real connection to the black community through family or deep friendships.  I’m not saying I know what the exact right thing to do is, but I listen to what I’m told by t he POC in my life and support them because their struggles are real and very ignored and downplayed.  It’s disgusting and I’m only sorry that I can’t do more to help from my end.

You guys apparently haven't seen the clips from Camden and Flint where cops are marching with the marches.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    @tbergs I am almost positive you are from Minnesota.  Question, is Minneapolis pretty racist or is this a isolated incident?  Were you surprised this happened?
    I can't speak on Minnesota personally, but Philando Castille's murderer walked free and that seems like it was just yesterday.
    Here’s some history of Minneapolis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/30/minneapolis-racial-inequality/

Unfortunately, this is common in many places, Boston, Long Island, etc.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

"beat as many cops as you want".  Does that include the cops who are marching with the protesters?  Does that include the ones who have spoken out in no uncertain terms against Derek Chauvin's despicable actions?  You would have them beaten?  Really???
    Yes. He/she has clarified several times. It’s disgusting. There are some bad cops. Most don’t deserve a beating.
    Correct.  just like the vast of majority of protestors are good people protesting peacefully.  I was watching CNN last night and many protestors were saying that the looters and rioters don't represent them and were asking them to stop.  
    NYPD just plowed into a group of protesters. deserved, justified?  I’m sure all you cop lovers will agree that it’s justified 
    That was wrong. I agree completely with what the mayor said, and I rarely do. 
    But what do people expect? You have crowds chanting kill white people. You have cops being dragged through a street and beaten. You have police cars being set on fire, some with police in them. And now it is apparently acceptable to many to target cops for physical beatings that will no doubt lead to more deaths. So why is anyone surprised that when a cop car is surrounded and people start throwing stuff at it that they respond this way?
    I don’t think it was right, but this isn’t surprising given the circumstances the last few days.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

"beat as many cops as you want".  Does that include the cops who are marching with the protesters?  Does that include the ones who have spoken out in no uncertain terms against Derek Chauvin's despicable actions?  You would have them beaten?  Really???
    Yes. He/she has clarified several times. It’s disgusting. There are some bad cops. Most don’t deserve a beating.
    Correct.  just like the vast of majority of protestors are good people protesting peacefully.  I was watching CNN last night and many protestors were saying that the looters and rioters don't represent them and were asking them to stop.  
    NYPD just plowed into a group of protesters. deserved, justified?  I’m sure all you cop lovers will agree that it’s justified 
    But what do people expect? You have crowds chanting kill white people. You have cops being dragged through a street and beaten. You have police cars being set on fire, some with police in them. And now it is apparently acceptable to many to target cops for physical beatings that will no doubt lead to more deaths. So why is anyone surprised that when a cop car is surrounded and people start throwing stuff at it that they respond this way?
    I don’t think it was right, but this isn’t surprising given the circumstances the last few days.
    except IT WASNT SURROUNDED
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss something?  The video I saw showed the first cop car being attacked and a seconds comes along and moves through the crowd making it possible for both cars to get away. I don't see anyone in that video being run over or injured.  I say "moves through the crowd" as opposed to "plowed into a group of protesters".   That what I saw anyway.  Plowing into a crowd with a car would injure or kill someone, right?  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss something?  The video I saw showed the first cop car being attacked and a seconds comes along and moves through the crowd making it possible for both cars to get away. I don't see anyone in that video being run over or injured.  I say "moves through the crowd" as opposed to "plowed into a group of protesters".   That what I saw anyway.  Plowing into a crowd with a car would injure or kill someone, right?  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry I was just repeating what i heard on the news and didn’t wait for the whole truth like an ass...my fault
    Ps it’s she not he...
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    mace1229 said:

You guys apparently haven't seen the clips from Camden and Flint where cops are marching with the marches.
    That’s great, really it is but did you not see the hundreds of black men killed in this country or the pictures from slavery days?  400 years...no doubt violence isn’t the answer so give me the alternative that hasn’t been attempted that will work and I’ll support it.  Two or three cops walking with protesters is not going to fix this
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Sorry I was just repeating what i heard on the news and didn’t wait for the whole truth like an ass...my fault

Thanks for clarifying.

Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight.  I'm just trying to point out that when facts are skewed, that does more harm to the cause than good. 

I think we're all on the same page here.  I don't think any of us here are pro-Chauvinists (little play on words there).  I think we all agree what he AND the four who stood by and did nothing are all guilty a wrongful death. 

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,626
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Plow/rammed does it really matter? Someone could have easily died imo from this. The SUV went forward almost the full length of the vehicle and someone easily could have been thrown under and ran over. Just because they were lucky and no one did does not change the act of aggression imo. I am also not sure if throwing garbage at a cop car can be described as being attacked but I will say the situation was turning from bad to worse before they went forward instead of back. 

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Damn!

Parts of this thread are as ugly as some of the local assholes who were out “protesting” last night. 
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Plow/rammed does it really matter? Someone could have easily died imo from this. The SUV went forward almost the full length of the vehicle and someone easily could have been thrown under and ran over. Just because they were lucky and no one did does not change the act of aggression imo. I am also not sure if throwing garbage at a cop car can be described as being attacked but I will say the situation was turning from bad to worse before they went forward instead of back. 

I said neither "plowed" nor "rammed".  I said "moved through".  Why are you misquoting me?  Inaccurate information/misquoting/distorting facts are all counter productive.  I don't understand why you would do that.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited May 2020
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

From the angles I’ve seen it looks like going in reverse was clear. That would have been the better choice in my opinion.
    But I would agree with you to some extent, it doesn’t appear like they intended to injure anyone, the second car move slowly to clear a path. But someone could have been injured pretty easily. Unless there was an emergency just ahead and the protesters were preventing them from getting there, reversing out of there would have been better.

But like I said, seeing what they have been doing to other cops and cop cars, being swarmed like that has got to mess with your judgement so I am not surprised it happened.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,931
    I just want to say I'm somewhat shocked by this conversation. A person can be opposed to systemic racist violence by law enforcement, while still refusing to condone or ignore violence against law enforcement. I don't know why anyone here thinks these are morally incompatible notions, given that they stem from the same moral problem: trying to prevent harm from befalling people who don't deserve it. 

All I know, is I'm truly sad that this conversation must be had in 2020.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    I just want to say I'm somewhat shocked by this conversation. A person can be opposed to systemic racist violence by law enforcement, while still refusing to condone or ignore violence against law enforcement. I don't know why anyone here thinks these are morally incompatible notions, given that they stem from the same moral problem: trying to prevent harm from befalling people who don't deserve it. 

Big gasp of air escaping from lungs.

Thank you Ben, voice of reason!

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly
    mace1229 said:

Great to see, but for every one of these there are dozens of clips of police brutality escalating and maiming innocent people. Go through the thread in this tweet, might take the glow off how police are handling this crisis. And these are just the ones caught on camera.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chadloder/status/1266952661791674370
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I said neither "plowed" nor "rammed".  I said "moved through".  Why are you misquoting me?  Inaccurate information/misquoting/distorting facts are all counter productive.  I don't understand why you would do that.
    I am not sure how you got that from my post. Me saying plow/rammed at the start was me saying does it really matter what they use as verb to describe it and nothing to do with what you are calling it. The action is there for everyone to see on video as are the actions of the protesters that appear to have started the altercation. 
    Holy shit this could have been bad. No one appeared to have got hurt and hope it was somehow confusion on the drivers part and he was not harmed

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks for clarifying.

Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight.  I'm just trying to point out that when facts are skewed, that does more harm to the cause than good. 

I think we're all on the same page here.  I don't think any of us here are pro-Chauvinists (little play on words there).  I think we all agree what he AND the four who stood by and did nothing are all guilty a wrongful death. 
    I’m not trying to fight either cause as someone here said we’re being worse than the idiots rioting, we are all just disgusted and sad and frustrated. I’ve always found you to be a voice of reason and I obviously became defensive and I apologize for that
    We are all at the breaking point and I’m done fighting with people I share a huge interest with
    edited May 2020
    dignin said:

Great to see, but for every one of these there are dozens of clips of police brutality escalating and maiming innocent people. Go through the thread in this tweet, might take the glow off how police are handling this crisis. And these are just the ones caught on camera.

You really think I'm not aware of police brutality or is this one of those "arguments for the sake or arguing" things?

PJNB said:
    brianlux said:

I am not sure how you got that from my post. Me saying plow/rammed at the start was me saying does it really matter what they use as verb to describe it and nothing to do with what you are calling it. The action is there for everyone to see on video as are the actions of the protesters that appear to have started the altercation. 
    I'm may be old but I'm not blind.  Also, same as above.

Jesus.  What the fuck is it with this place today?

I'm outta here.

Stay safe, ya'll.

Do The Right Thing.

And, Peace-out!

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    PJNB said:
    Holy shit this could have been bad. No one appeared to have got hurt and hope it was somehow confusion on the drivers part and he was not harmed

woah!  that was crazy.  yeah, hopefully it was just some unaware dude that somehow got on the road listening to Thin Lizzy, reaching down for his Arbys melt, looked up and saw 2000 people on the road, had a heart attack and hit the breaks.  First off it is amazing that 99.9% of the people got out of the way, and the two that stumbled were saved when the trucked halted mere feet from them.

brianlux said:
    dignin said:

You really think I'm not aware of police brutality or is this one of those "arguments for the sake or arguing" things?

PJNB said:
    brianlux said:

I'm outta here.

Stay safe, ya'll.

Do The Right Thing.

And, Peace-out! 

You asked to be corrected if you were wrong and I took that as you were interested in what other people thought on the manner. I guess I should have mentioned that I added rammed because that is the other verb that the media is using. I also gave my opinion that the verb does not really matter and that the video speaks enough for itself without worrying about the description misleading you. I gotta say I am a little confused at this reaction. Maybe it is the way I type out thoughts I am not sure. Either way I hope you have a good night and stay safe.
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

PJNB said:
    brianlux said:

I'm outta here.

Stay safe, ya'll.

Do The Right Thing.

And, Peace-out! 

You asked to be corrected if you were wrong and I took that as you were interested in what other people thought on the manner. I guess I should have mentioned that I added rammed because that is the other verb that the media is using. I also gave my opinion that the verb does not really matter and that the video speaks enough for itself without worrying about the description misleading you. I gotta say I am a little confused at this reaction. Maybe it is the way I type out thoughts I am not sure. Either way I hope you have a good night and stay safe.
    Emotions are running high.  We're all unhappy and angry and maybe a bit confused.  My apologies if I added to the confusion.  I wish you well and hope you have a good night and stay safe as well, PJNB.

Same to all of you. 

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

PJNB said:
    brianlux said:

I'm outta here.

Stay safe, ya'll.

Do The Right Thing.

And, Peace-out!
    Just trying to share information, if you want to be angry about it, that's on you.
    benjs said:

I'm not answering for everyone, only myself.  To put it simply, because I'm human and far from perfect.  That's not an excuse it's just the truth.  If I was perfect I would have the answers to all these issues.  I don't intentionally try to be contradictory.  You're correct, violence is violence.  
    benjs said:

I'm not answering for everyone, only myself.  To put it simply, because I'm human and far from perfect.  That's not an excuse it's just the truth.  If I was perfect I would have the answers to all these issues.  I don't intentionally try to be contradictory.  You're correct, violence is violence.  
    Earlier, was your comment about beating all cops and setting fire to their precincts insincere or otherwise false, or have you changed your mind since then?
    What I want to say to you after some of your posts takes us back to square one.  I have NO desire to correspond with you and I certainly owe you no explanations.