Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    PJNB said:
    Renfield said:
    PJNB said:
    We have two new cases in the northern part of our province. A lot of people on my social media are wanting everything shut down again. What are people expecting here? Perfection? 
    Shut down again. Good grief, we (NYC) haven’t reopened yet! Our Pause ends on May 28th, but we have met only 5 out of the 7 metrics required to reopen to Phase 1. My work is in Phase 2.
    Hope it happens sooner than later for you. Ours happened a lot faster than I thought it would. What 2 do you have left to meet?
    % of total Hospital beds available & Contact Tracers.

*Long Island opens tomorrow- they will reach the required 14th day decline of hospital deaths.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,746
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:
    For those that do not know my province of 770K has had 122 cases total and no deaths. Our borders are "closed" (you can get in and out if you really want to). If we can not open up no one can and if 2 cases are a cause for enough concern that people think we should shut back down and wait for a vaccine then we have a long road ahead of us. 
    That seems pretty ridiculous to me. More people have probably been hospitalized from spoiled food than that, are they going to lock down until there is a vaccine for bad meat?
    It is ridiculous and I feel some people are so far extreme on both sides of this virus that they are not thinking clearly. One has too much fear and the other has not enough. 

Also to be clear it is not our government saying this its people on Facebook/social media just voicing their opinion that we opened too soon and should shut it back down again. The government has said that if there is 3 separate community spread cases found within so many days of each other they are shutting it down. I feel again that this is too strict of a rule to go back to where we were. Full disclosure too my wife runs a business that was finally allowed to open back up so I admittedly may have some bias in all of this wanting her to stay open. Not at any cost however. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    I don't think closing borders is ridiculous at all.  If it were not for all the traveling people kept doing after this thing broke out, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now.  Traveling during a pandemic is one of the most selfish things a person can so.  That's how I see it anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2020

I live in the 194 region. I have to decide if my  grade 3 child will attend Mon, Tues school days with max **100 kids for eight days next month.

Meanwhile, Vancouver wants NHL and put forward a motion to BC parks for beaches-parks to allow alcohol.

**Edit: She'd have up to **6 other kids in her class. 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    brianlux said:
    I don't think closing borders is ridiculous at all.  If it were not for all the traveling people kept doing after this thing broke out, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now.  Traveling during a pandemic is one of the most selfish things a person can so.  That's how I see it anyway.
    I agree. I think controlling the borders is needed and the best way to limit who is coming in and out of the province/state. I heard of stories of people able to fly to the Moncton airport only to be turned away because they did not have reason that was allowed for them to travel here. They had to get back on the flight and head back to Toronto. 

Saying that I would love them to open up the PEI bridge and we can have a two province bubble between NB and PEI. Keep Nova Scotia, Quebec and Maine closed though for now. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    I agree. I think controlling the borders is needed and the best way to limit who is coming in and out of the province/state. I heard of stories of people able to fly to the Moncton airport only to be turned away because they did not have reason that was allowed for them to travel here. They had to get back on the flight and head back to Toronto. 

Saying that I would love them to open up the PEI bridge and we can have a two province bubble between NB and PEI. Keep Nova Scotia, Quebec and Maine closed though for now. 

Sounds like a good plan.

I hope to visit parts of your lovely country again after this is all over.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:
    For those that do not know my province of 770K has had 122 cases total and no deaths. Our borders are "closed" (you can get in and out if you really want to). If we can not open up no one can and if 2 cases are a cause for enough concern that people think we should shut back down and wait for a vaccine then we have a long road ahead of us. 
    That seems pretty ridiculous to me. More people have probably been hospitalized from spoiled food than that, are they going to lock down until there is a vaccine for bad meat?
    Is food poisoning contagious?

Not the same thing.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Mandatory masks inside now in Va..This is going to really piss off some idiots..
    If it’s anything like IL, you’ll still get some tough guys that go mask free to prove a point. 
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    bbiggs said:
    Mandatory masks inside now in Va..This is going to really piss off some idiots..
    If it’s anything like IL, you’ll still get some tough guys that go mask free to prove a point. 

With a pistol on the hip..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    edited May 2020
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:

Not the same thing.
    No it’s not contagious. But I still think going on shut down because of 122 cases in a city of 770k is about just as ridiculous. You’re talking shutting down because 0.016% of the population is infected, none of which were fatal. I put that on the same level of stupid as shutting down every time Chipotle has another outbreak of food poisoning.
    I could see banning large gatherings and other small measures, but a shut down would be overkill.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:

Not the same thing.
    No it’s not contagious. But I still think going on shut down because of 122 cases in a city of 770k is about just as ridiculous. You’re talking shutting down because 0.016% of the population is infected, none of which were fatal. I put that on the same level of stupid as shutting down every time Chipotle has another outbreak of food poisoning.
    I could see banning large gatherings and other small measures, but a shut down would be overkill.

122 cases can spread like wildfire.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    A friend showed me something I hadn't thought of but is obvious:  Hand sanitizer is flammable.  It burns with a light blue flame which is almost invisible during daylight.    It can be next to water on surface and continue to burn. 

Of course, when applied to the hands and rubbed in, the alcohol dissipates quickly.  But I'd be careful about applying it anywhere near a flame. 

• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:

Not the same thing.
    122 infections becomes 695. Then 3,964. Then 22,594. There's a reason this thing went global.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Back to work after 72 days..
    You work at a restaurant correct?  Are you allowed to have 100% capacity or are there restrictions?
    Normal we are working with 200 chairs but now we are at 67..masks and everything..46% of stuff does not working first week..
    first two days was tragic..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:

Not the same thing.
    122 infections becomes 695. Then 3,964. Then 22,594. There's a reason this thing went global.
    That was over a 2 month period so it did not spread like wildfire here. Largely in part of the lockdown as well as how we are geographically set up. Our largest city is under 100,000 people. We have 1 active case right now. I  was not against the initial quarantine even with the numbers as good as they are. There are a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks that look at these numbers and think all of this was not necessary not factoring in that they are as low as they are due to the lockdown.  However I am against locking down again because of a couple of cases in the north part of our province.

I realize that a lot of you are going through hell with this virus in some of your cities but my point was if 2 cases causes enough concern to some people to shut everything down again we have a long road ahead of us until a vaccine comes. I really think this virus is making people go crazy to both extremes. 

• Options
    I know it is too late for the people that have passed from this virus in LTC homes but hopefully some red flags will now be made public and corrections will be made for better care for our elderly. When you look at Spain,Italy, and North America we did a really bad job protecting them. North America has no excuse since Spain and Italy told us so much what was going to happen here and it still hit us hard at these facilities. I mean the first cases we knew about in the US was in Washington. I think they had 6 deaths very early at a home like this. Same for Canada and British Columbia. Sad to think what could have been done and what was not.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    PJNB said:

NB might be an easier border to cross but the country in general is not under ordinary conditions.

Imagine a white middle aged male, traveling alone, from the NYC area, trying to convince border agents my first trip to Canada in about 30 years was to see the last Hip  show in an NHL arena. Not one of the easiest moments of my life. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:

NB might be an easier border to cross but the country in general is not under ordinary conditions.

Imagine a white middle aged male, traveling alone, from the NYC area, trying to convince border agents my first trip to Canada in about 30 years was to see the last Hip  show in an NHL arena. Not one of the easiest moments of my life. 
    Ya the US/Canada border is impossible to cross right now. Provincial borders are a different story. PEI and Nova Scotia only have one way in and out and people are still getting across to see their Tinder dates and important things like that. 

Also I am pretty surprised you had issues getting into Canada to see the Hip. All depends on the person working that day I guess. Did you get to see the last show in Kingston? Wish I could of made that one. 

You guys are all going to go through this as well after you start opening up. The question will be if and when you should shut back down. It is not going to be as easy this time around for a lot of people I would guess.  

• Options
    PJNB said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:

Not the same thing.
    That was over a 2 month period so it did not spread like wildfire here. Largely in part of the lockdown as well as how we are geographically set up. Our largest city is under 100,000 people. We have 1 active case right now. I  was not against the initial quarantine even with the numbers as good as they are. There are a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks that look at these numbers and think all of this was not necessary not factoring in that they are as low as they are due to the lockdown.  However I am against locking down again because of a couple of cases in the north part of our province.

I realize that a lot of you are going through hell with this virus in some of your cities but my point was if 2 cases causes enough concern to some people to shut everything down again we have a long road ahead of us until a vaccine comes. I really think this virus is making people go crazy to both extremes. 

I get your point and I don't disagree. My child has been back in daycare for 2 days a week for the past 2 weeks here in southern Alberta. I get that life must go on. I live in a city of around 100,000 with 27 total cases and 8 still active, that we know of.

I just wanted to point out that it's stupid to compare covid to food poisoning (I know you didn't).
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    edited May 2020
    bbiggs said:

With a pistol on the hip..
    It's interesting where I live.  Im in Henrico,  right on the border with Hanover.  If you know VA, you'll know henrico is urban and Hanover is mostly rural,  but suburban where 295 and 95 meet on the north end.   
    I was in Lowes in Henrico on Sunday and masks were 85% easy.   I drove to Home Depot in Hanover,  right at 295 and 95 and it was probably 20% masks.  It was amazing how different it was only 15 minutes apart,  but the Hanover area draws in the rural residents. 
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Do you believe that over 40% of COVID deaths have occurred in Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    Do you believe that over 40% of COVID deaths have occurred in Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities?
    43% to be exact. And that's with some states not counting residents who were infected there, but ultimately died in a hospital. There are some staggering numbers here. So much so that it should really drive the strategy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2020/05/26/nursing-homes-assisted-living-facilities-0-6-of-the-u-s-population-43-of-u-s-covid-19-deaths/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,185
    I know over 50% of the deaths in my city so far were nursing home residents. It is alarming how easily these facilities all across the country have been infected, this makes me think the asymptomatic numbers are likely to be much higher than we currently think.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    pjl44 said:
    43% to be exact. And that's with some states not counting residents who were infected there, but ultimately died in a hospital. There are some staggering numbers here. So much so that it should really drive the strategy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2020/05/26/nursing-homes-assisted-living-facilities-0-6-of-the-u-s-population-43-of-u-s-covid-19-deaths/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

going out on a limb and say it wasnt the residents who brought it in....

but sure. no biggie, right?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Over 100,000 dead in America.

We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

— President Trump, in an interview with CNBC, was asked about the first diagnosed U.S. case. He said he wasn’t worried about a pandemic.

“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”

— Trump tweet

“We only have five people. Hopefully, everything’s going to be great. They have somewhat of a problem, but hopefully, it’s all going to be great. But we’re working with China, just so you know, and other countries very, very closely. So it doesn’t get out of hand. But it’s, you know, it’s something that we have to be very, very careful with, right? We have to be very careful.”

— Trump, at a campaign rally in Des Moines, Iowa

We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”

— Trump, in an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity, when asked how concerned he was about the coronavirus

“We are coordinating with the Chinese government and working closely together on the coronavirus outbreak in China. My administration will take all necessary steps to safeguard our citizens from this threat.”

— Trump, in his State of the Union address

“Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away. I hope that’s true. But we’re doing great in our country. China, I spoke with President Xi, and they’re working very, very hard. And I think it’s going to all work out fine.”

— Trump, at a campaign rally in Manchester, N.H.

“In our country, we only have, basically, 12 cases and most of those people are recovering and some cases fully recovered. So it’s actually less.”

— Trump, in an interview with Geraldo Rivera

The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
    — Trump tweet. Stock markets have since fallen into correction territory.

“When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

— Trump, at a coronavirus task force press briefing

Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. … One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.’ That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over. … And this is their new hoax.”

— Trump, at a campaign rally in North Charleston, S.C.

“Gallup just gave us the highest rating ever for the way we are handling the CoronaVirus situation. The April 2009-10 Swine Flu, where nearly 13,000 people died in the U.S., was poorly handled.”

— Trump tweet. At the end of March, his approval rating would rise to a high point of his presidency, though a “rally-around-the-flag effect” was relatively small and has faded some.

Anybody that wants a test can get a test. That’s what the bottom line is.”

— Trump, while visiting CDC headquarters in Atlanta. This was false. In fact, at this time testing capacity was about 75,000 nationally, according to the CDC.

“This was unexpected. … And it hit the world. And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”
    — Trump, to reporters at the U.S. Capial

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Governor Cuomo had a meeting at the White House this morning. 
    His comments at his daily briefing sounds like it didn't go great. He sounds like he's speaking to the soul-eater.
    :(

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    Kat said:
    Governor Cuomo had a meeting at the White House this morning. 
    His comments at his daily briefing sounds like it didn't go great. He sounds like he's speaking to the soul-eater.
    :(

cuomo knows he has to be nice to trump. otherwise trump will punish the people of NY.

anybody ever see curb your enthusiasm where larry david opens up the spite store? we are living through a spite presidency.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

The average number of pneumonia deaths in Florida up until May 25th is 918 since 2013 - 2018. This year they have a staggering 5185 deaths from pneumonia and only 1762 deaths from Covid so far when comparing the same time frame.

Texas had 973 deaths in 2018 up to this point due to pneumonia. This year they have 4622. 

California had 6917 deaths in 2018 from flu/pneumonia. This year they are already up to 6935 deaths deaths this year. We are almost out of the flu season so this number seems close but we still have the fall season to account for. 

US deaths by pneumonia in all of 2017 49,157
    US deaths by pneumonia since Feb 1 2020 89,555

It seems to me that numbers from this virus, intentionally or not, are being misrepresented in a huge manner in some states. Whether it is for political or economic gain or just not the right means to test properly is anyones guess.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    edited May 2020
    PJNB said:

The average number of pneumonia deaths in Florida up until May 25th is 918 since 2013 - 2018. This year they have a staggering 5185 deaths from pneumonia and only 1762 deaths from Covid so far when comparing the same time frame.

Texas had 973 deaths in 2018 up to this point due to pneumonia. This year they have 4622. 

California had 6917 deaths in 2018 from flu/pneumonia. This year they are already up to 6935 deaths deaths this year. We are almost out of the flu season so this number seems close but we still have the fall season to account for. 

US deaths by pneumonia in all of 2017 49,157
    US deaths by pneumonia since Feb 1 2020 89,555

It seems to me that numbers from this virus, intentionally or not, are being misrepresented in a huge manner in some states. Whether it is for political or economic gain or just not the right means to test properly is anyones guess.

apples to oranges.

pneumonia can be viral or bacterial, so of course there will be a high number of pneumonia cases.

covid-19 is a virus.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
This discussion has been closed.