Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mcgruff10 said:
    Biggs that is crazy. Is there any plan moving forward ?  We have like five different phases in our district.  I think we are phase 1.5 as they call it.  
    The plan for the district has been to get back in the classroom, but the date has been pushed back each and every time.  This began at the start of the school year when the numbers were much lower here. Given where we’re at now, there’s a 0% chance (my opinion) they go back this school year, even though they say the “plan” is to go back first week of January at earliest. Our area and much of the state just went to Tier 3 restrictions, which is one step away from the full on lockdown we experienced in March/April. We’re f’d here. 
  • Options
    Every few weeks I spend an evening browsing a bunch of various “news” sources. CNN, NY Times, Fox News, MSNBC, Brietbart, etc. Most days I stick with scientific backed news in regards to Covid but it’s always fun to venture into the insanity of mainstream media. Few random thoughts...
    • We are not united on masks or any other measures and won’t be anytime soon.
    • Reading the full extent of our fabulous CA Governors dinner pretty much explains why we can’t unite. He’s imposed massive restrictions, then goes to an indoor dinner with the very medical executives driving his decisions. Incredible hypocrisy.
    • We likely crest 250k cases a day before the end of the year. Prior to a real vaccine rollout we’ll probably be in the 20% herd range.
    • From some reputable scientific studies immunity might last years, good news here.
    • These home tests are intriguing but I don’t see them as being extremely helpful.
    • Waiting on the traditional vaccine results. They are harder to manufacture and likely to have more side effects. Do these companies just throw in the towel if the mRNA’s are this effective? Huge dollars invested in some of these, hard to fathom them just giving up. Do these companies start spreading negative rumors through the media about the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines? At this point why would we not expect something like this to happen? It’s not as if a company like J&J doesn’t have a checkered history on ethics. Hopefully a less corrupt Federal Gov can prevent an all out vaccine war.

06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
    Every few weeks I spend an evening browsing a bunch of various “news” sources. CNN, NY Times, Fox News, MSNBC, Brietbart, etc. Most days I stick with scientific backed news in regards to Covid but it’s always fun to venture into the insanity of mainstream media. Few random thoughts...
    • Reading the full extent of our fabulous CA Governors dinner pretty much explains why we can’t unite. He’s imposed massive restrictions, then goes to an indoor dinner with the very medical executives driving his decisions. Incredible hypocrisy.
    • We likely crest 250k cases a day before the end of the year. Prior to a real vaccine rollout we’ll probably be in the 20% herd range.
    • From some reputable scientific studies immunity might last years, good news here.
    • These home tests are intriguing but I don’t see them as being extremely helpful.
    • Waiting on the traditional vaccine results. They are harder to manufacture and likely to have more side effects. Do these companies just throw in the towel if the mRNA’s are this effective? Huge dollars invested in some of these, hard to fathom them just giving up. Do these companies start spreading negative rumors through the media about the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines? At this point why would we not expect something like this to happen? It’s not as if a company like J&J doesn’t have a checkered history on ethics. Hopefully a less corrupt Federal Gov can prevent an all out vaccine war.

Now that I've read a bit on the Newsom dinner party thing, I can see why many are angry with him.  And partying with oil lobbyists to boot.  Very disappointing!

The U.S. has not only crested 250 case already, we've crested 250 deaths due to COVID.  Terrible!

Keeping my fingers crossed for the vaccine to work but skeptical as you are.  Hoping nevertheless for good results.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Biggs that is crazy. Is there any plan moving forward ?  We have like five different phases in our district.  I think we are phase 1.5 as they call it.  
    The plan for the district has been to get back in the classroom, but the date has been pushed back each and every time.  This began at the start of the school year when the numbers were much lower here. Given where we’re at now, there’s a 0% chance (my opinion) they go back this school year, even though they say the “plan” is to go back first week of January at earliest. Our area and much of the state just went to Tier 3 restrictions, which is one step away from the full on lockdown we experienced in March/April. We’re f’d here. 
    If you think you're fucked, just imagine being in a state with surging cases and hospitals getting overrun but your state government is held hostage by Y'all Qaeda and won't do anything to try to slow it down.. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,489
    Just found out yesterday my sister in law has now got covid19, her bosses son was working with Mennonites who knew they had it but still went to job site and basically passed it onto everyone. Son went to see his father at work who is an optometrist and where sister in law works and thats where she caught it. Fucking idiots!
    Then my brother is a custodian at an elementary school and his schools gets a kid transferred from another school and he had tested positive for covid19 and the parents still brought kid to school. They find out and send kid home, only to have the parents try and drop kid off at school the next day as well. But theynseen him and were able to deny him entry.
    People are so irresponsible  
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Man thats  bad.  I hope all is well for you
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,489
    Man thats  bad.  I hope all is well for you
    Thanks, all is well with me, but it's defintitley hit close to home now.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,664
    Wow, MN doing what should be done.  People gonna freak out.
    The idea that people are traveling and mixing households for turkey day is crazy.  
    Enjoy killing your relatives in the name of tradition.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,913

in the vaccines, I say no. we're tslking 7 billon people to vaccinate. granted not all will get it but still.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    The idea that people are traveling and mixing households for turkey day is crazy.  
    Yeah, we'll see how this goes. People already complaining. I mean, it's really not that restrictive, but people freak out if they can't eat in a restaurant, go to the gym or spread the virus at will.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,664
    tbergs said:
    Yeah, we'll see how this goes. People already complaining. I mean, it's really not that restrictive, but people freak out if they can't eat in a restaurant, go to the gym or spread the virus at will.

Ha.
    I think the biggest shocker is the reality that you cannot all go to grandma's house.  People are going to do that anyway.  A lot of people.
    Many I know, who follow the base rules, will go ahead and get with family.  I keep asking people and getting "oh, it is just our immediate family."
    Well.....do you live in the same house?  Do any of you have to work out and around lots of people?
    Don't do it!

People still are going to do it. 

• Options
    So sad that people cant grasp it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    Just found out yesterday my sister in law has now got covid19, her bosses son was working with Mennonites who knew they had it but still went to job site and basically passed it onto everyone. Son went to see his father at work who is an optometrist and where sister in law works and thats where she caught it. Fucking idiots!
    Then my brother is a custodian at an elementary school and his schools gets a kid transferred from another school and he had tested positive for covid19 and the parents still brought kid to school. They find out and send kid home, only to have the parents try and drop kid off at school the next day as well. But theynseen him and were able to deny him entry.
    People are so irresponsible  

That totally sucks.  Best wishes for you sister and brother and his kids.  I hope they all fair well and only have mild cases. 
    Yeah, so damn many irresponsible people. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    marjenmarjen CT Posts: 804
    edited November 2020
    So every year since my wife and I got married we have hosted thanksgiving. It’s usually 12 people. Us and our kids, both our parents, my wife’s sister and my sister and her family. It’s the only time of year all of us get together at the same time. 

Well finally my wife and I decided last week that we just cant do it this year. We could not see how we could keep 5 different households separated enough over the course of 5-6 hours inside with people eating and drinking and everything else. It sucks but its the responsible thing to do.

What sucks is of course, as I knew its causing issues on my side of the family. My mother is pissed because she wants to have thanksgiving with the family and thinks I am being ridiculous. Now this is a family where everyone voted democrat and believes in science, and its still causing a family rift. And on top of it all my mother works at a hospital!! She should know better. She is 70 and feels she does everything right because she wears a mask when she “needs” to. But her and my father still go out to dinner in restaurants with friends and refuse to just stay home. 

So now she is going to go to my sisters instead. I grilled my sister on the whole thing and he response was well its hard, I am sure it will be fine, blah blah. They have a son who goes to school in person 3 days a week, she (cancer survivor, overweight, generally unhealthy) is still working in an office and her husbands (high blood pressure, overweight) job requires him to interact with random people all day 5 days a week who may or may not ear masks. I mean come on. Combine that with my mother who works in a hospital and my dad who survived cancer a few years ago and what a potential mess. They think they are being good and yet are making sooo many mistakes. I am so frustrated and disappointed in everyone. They claim I am the most cautious person they know yet all I do is follow the guidelines lol.

I am really just hoping at this point they all get lucky over this long winter as at the moment I feel the chances for all of them making it till next Thanksgiving are fairly low :(

Post edited by marjen on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    marjen said:
    So every year since my wife and I got married we have hosted thanksgiving. It’s usually 12 people. Us and our kids, both our parents, my wife’s sister and my sister and her family. It’s the only time of year all of us get together at the same time. 

Well finally my wife and I decided last week that we just cant do it this year. We could not see how we could keep 5 different households separated enough over the course of 5-6 hours inside with people eating and drinking and everything else. It sucks but its the responsible thing to do.

What sucks is of course, as I knew its causing issues on my side of the family. My mother is pissed because she wants to have thanksgiving with the family and thinks I am being ridiculous. Now this is a family where everyone voted democrat and believes in science, and its still causing a family rift. And on top of it all my mother works at a hospital!! She should know better. She is 70 and feels she does everything right because she wears a mask when she “needs” to. But her and my father still go out to dinner in restaurants with friends and refuse to just stay home. 

So now she is going to go to my sisters instead. I grilled my sister on the whole thing and he response was well its hard, I am sure it will be fine, blah blah. They have a son who goes to school in person 3 days a week, she (cancer survivor, overweight, generally unhealthy) is still working in an office and her husbands (high blood pressure, overweight) job requires him to interact with random people all day 5 days a week who may or may not ear masks. I mean come on. Combine that with my mother who works in a hospital and my dad who survived cancer a few years ago and what a potential mess. They think they are being good and yet are making sooo many mistakes. I am so frustrated and disappointed in everyone. They claim I am the most cautious person I know yet all I do is follow the guidelines lol.

I am really just hoping at this point they all get lucky over this long winter as at the moment I feel the chances for all of them making it till next Thanksgiving are fairly low :(

Fingers crossed everyone stays healthy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    marjen said:

So now she is going to go to my sisters instead. I grilled my sister on the whole thing and he response was well its hard, I am sure it will be fine, blah blah. They have a son who goes to school in person 3 days a week, she (cancer survivor, overweight, generally unhealthy) is still working in an office and her husbands (high blood pressure, overweight) job requires him to interact with random people all day 5 days a week who may or may not ear masks. I mean come on. Combine that with my mother who works in a hospital and my dad who survived cancer a few years ago and what a potential mess. They think they are being good and yet are making sooo many mistakes. I am so frustrated and disappointed in everyone. They claim I am the most cautious person I know yet all I do is follow the guidelines lol.

Sorry to read this.
    It does suck.
    You are doing what I think is the right thing, but many will disagree. 
    First time for me, and I imagine for many, to have a Thanksgiving without some family.  (Outside of my wife and son - and we will have a great day together.)  Before we married we would go and work at a shelter during the day and drive to San Diego to be with my brother-in-law's family.

My wife's favorite uncle died last night and all we could do the last few months was write letters as he withered away.  So sad for his kids and wife and we can't go and hug them.
    My brother-in-law's wife's mother (who used to host us during Thanksgiving) had a blood vessel burst in her head last week and she has been in the ICU since.  Her husband cannot see her until they move her out of the ICU - which, thankfully, they think they will be able to do soon.  She will be a shell of the person she was, but at least alive. 

This is why we need to be thankful that we can have a nice meal with the three of us. 

I am sorry for you that your family is upset with you -- but think you are doing what is best.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    marjen said:

So now she is going to go to my sisters instead. I grilled my sister on the whole thing and he response was well its hard, I am sure it will be fine, blah blah. They have a son who goes to school in person 3 days a week, she (cancer survivor, overweight, generally unhealthy) is still working in an office and her husbands (high blood pressure, overweight) job requires him to interact with random people all day 5 days a week who may or may not ear masks. I mean come on. Combine that with my mother who works in a hospital and my dad who survived cancer a few years ago and what a potential mess. They think they are being good and yet are making sooo many mistakes. I am so frustrated and disappointed in everyone. They claim I am the most cautious person they know yet all I do is follow the guidelines lol.

You're doing what you can...good for you because family pressure can be hard and even lead to worse division down the road.  It's too bad the others are not doing what they should, but I've definitely decided that I can only control me.

The bold shows a big concern I have; "Covid Fatigue."  Democrats* who believe in science are human and flawed and are ready to be done with this. While I am not surprised that people of all political and sciences persuasions are going to get together, I would hope that family rifts could be avoided within families that understand the benefits of separation.  I hope the rift doesn't persist.

*I don't mean to paint "Democrats" as better than anyone else, but the fact is that this is politicized to a large degree along party lines.  Republicans tend to be less cautious, though there are obviously individual exceptions to the trend.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Any PA residents here?  Does anyone know why people on the right hate Governor Tom Wolf so much?  My assumption is that it has to do with his lockdowns, but wasn't sure if that was accurate, or if there is more to the story.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    marjen said:

Sorry to read this.
    It does suck.
    First time for me, and I imagine for many, to have a Thanksgiving without some family.  (Outside of my wife and son - and we will have a great day together.)  Before we married we would go and work at a shelter during the day and drive to San Diego to be with my brother-in-law's family.

My wife's favorite uncle died last night and all we could do the last few months was write letters as he withered away.  So sad for his kids and wife and we can't go and hug them.
    My brother-in-law's wife's mother (who used to host us during Thanksgiving) had a blood vessel burst in her head last week and she has been in the ICU since.  Her husband cannot see her until they move her out of the ICU - which, thankfully, they think they will be able to do soon.  She will be a shell of the person she was, but at least alive. 

This is why we need to be thankful that we can have a nice meal with the three of us. 

I am sorry for you that your family is upset with you -- but think you are doing what is best.

This is so well-put. 

Yes, absolutely the right decision. Don’t feel bad for it, and don’t allow anyone to make you feel that way. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I think this can be done safely if both households quarantine before getting together.  For people that are working outside of the house and interacting with several people every day, that's another story.  The idea of no one getting together with family under any circumstance is extreme in my opinion, assuming the pre-gathering quarantine takes place.  I'm not saying that you were suggesting this shouldn't happen under any circumstance, by the way.  Just adding my $.02 on the topic.

• Options
    I am hugely unhappy with our California governor Newsom who, at the outset, was doing a very good job of leading us to be safe around the coronavirus but has now shown himself to by a hypocrite.  I had questioned Hedonist's earlier diatribe against Newsom, but she had it right.  It's really discouraging to see even some Democrat leaders dropping the ball on COVID like this.  Very disappointing.  This is the kind of thing that makes me suspicious of politicians in general.  Not that there aren't good ones, but they are hard to find these days.

Gavin Newsom’s executive powers under scrutiny as he copes with French Laundry mistake

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    I think this can be done safely if both households quarantine before getting together.  For people that are working outside of the house and interacting with several people every day, that's another story.  The idea of no one getting together with family under any circumstance is extreme in my opinion, assuming the pre-gathering quarantine takes place.  I'm not saying that you were suggesting this shouldn't happen under any circumstance, by the way.  Just adding my $.02 on the topic.

The only problem with this is a proper quarantine period is like 2 weeks. Is anyone really going to not leave their house for 2 weeks? Based on what is happening with the numbers I think its not likely. 
    To try and take some precautions before finally cancelling our family thanksgiving I suggested everyone get tested Monday of next week then stay put for a couple of days and everyone in the family was either insulted or thought I was crazy. 
  • Options
    marjen said:

Sorry to read this.
    It does suck.

Sorry for your losses. Hope all your stay well. We are all trying to do the best we can through this mess. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    i think my family is really holding out hope that we'll be back at code orange in time for xmas, but i can't see it. 400 or so cases a day, 10 or so deaths every day.....even with code red, fucking best buy is allowed to stay open. makes no sense. 

officials: stay home!
    also officials: unless you need a new blu ray player! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,834
    brianlux said:
    I am hugely unhappy with our California governor Newsom who, at the outset, was doing a very good job of leading us to be safe around the coronavirus but has now shown himself to by a hypocrite.  I had questioned Hedonist's earlier diatribe against Newsom, but she had it right.  It's really discouraging to see even some Democrat leaders dropping the ball on COVID like this.  Very disappointing.  This is the kind of thing that makes me suspicious of politicians in general.  Not that there aren't good ones, but they are hard to find these days.

Gavin Newsom’s executive powers under scrutiny as he copes with French Laundry mistake

Yea it’s sad. Do as I say, not as I do. My mayor has been urging people to not get together for holidays as early as October. A few weeks ago he was out of town visiting family members. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:

Yea it’s sad. Do as I say, not as I do. My mayor has been urging people to not get together for holidays as early as October. A few weeks ago he was out of town visiting family members. 

Yikes!  Nothing worse than hypocritical so-called "leaders". 

• Options
    marjen said:
    marjen said:

Sorry to read this.
    It does suck.

Sorry for your losses. Hope all your stay well. We are all trying to do the best we can through this mess. 

thanks!
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

I agree 100% on doing this if all parties quarantine. 
    My sister and her son live with my mom.  They wear masks but are out among people every day.  This means that we cannot see my mom until this shit is dealt with.  Makes me angry but nothing can be done.  She sure isn't going to throw my sister out, nor would I want her to.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:

Yikes!  Nothing worse than hypocritical so-called "leaders". 
    I feel the same way, all we need are voices of common sense right now. We don't necessarily need legendary, history altering leadership here, although that would help. Scientist and the frontline workers will be viewed as the heroes when history is written. Meanwhile Newsom gives validation to many who claim it's a hoax with his hypocritical actions. Oh and then there's me, just an average citizen, with a kid in his room getting frustrated because his school website keeps crashing. Me, feeling slightly guilty about taking my family on a road trip next week to Death Valley in which we'll essentially be in close contact with nobody. But I still question myself, all while deniers flaunt every restriction and plan huge family gatherings. All while our own Governor can't even act responsibly and show he's making a fraction of the same sacrifices we are. 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020
    brianlux said:

His "apology" and excuses are just as ridiculous. I think it was him (would have been others that were there instead) that still claim it was outside and try to justify that. It looks like a covered patio, basically a ceiling and 4 walls, just huge windows. His apology doesn't make any sense in saying that when he saw the 12 people he should have left. Like there's any doubt he didn't know exactly what he was going to. And there are pictures of it being inside, not outside. He's just digging a deeper hole. 
This discussion has been closed.