Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,558
    brianlux said:
    I am hugely unhappy with our California governor Newsom who, at the outset, was doing a very good job of leading us to be safe around the coronavirus but has now shown himself to by a hypocrite.  I had questioned Hedonist's earlier diatribe against Newsom, but she had it right.  It's really discouraging to see even some Democrat leaders dropping the ball on COVID like this.  Very disappointing.  This is the kind of thing that makes me suspicious of politicians in general.  Not that there aren't good ones, but they are hard to find these days.

Gavin Newsom’s executive powers under scrutiny as he copes with French Laundry mistake

French Laundry?
    I wonder who picked up that tab.
    At a minimum $6K
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    I am hugely unhappy with our California governor Newsom who, at the outset, was doing a very good job of leading us to be safe around the coronavirus but has now shown himself to by a hypocrite.  I had questioned Hedonist's earlier diatribe against Newsom, but she had it right.  It's really discouraging to see even some Democrat leaders dropping the ball on COVID like this.  Very disappointing.  This is the kind of thing that makes me suspicious of politicians in general.  Not that there aren't good ones, but they are hard to find these days.

Gavin Newsom’s executive powers under scrutiny as he copes with French Laundry mistake

His "apology" and excuses are just as ridiculous. I think it was him (would have been others that were there instead) that still claim it was outside and try to justify that. It looks like a covered patio, basically a ceiling and 4 walls, just huge windows. His apology doesn't make any sense in saying that when he saw the 12 people he should have left. Like there's any doubt he didn't know exactly what he was going to. And there are pictures of it being inside, not outside. He's just digging a deeper hole. 

There is a lot of nonsense about some of this "outdoor dining".  On Main St. in nearby Placerville where my wife's store is, about half the street's normal parking spots have been used for "outdoor dining".  The tables are closer together than they wold be indoors and now that it's rainy season. most of them are enclosed by tarps or plastic sheeting.  I get it that these restaurants are desperate to stay open, but the idea of calling it outdoor dining just doesn't make sense.  I think they would do better to have curbside to-go pick up.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

French Laundry?
    I wonder who picked up that tab.
    At a minimum $6K

I've never eaten there and have to desire to, but that restaurant is renowned for being very extravaganza and at the highest end for expensive.  And I'll bet tax payers paid for that little party. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

I tend to not talk out of my ass 🙄

It’s about imagery. Even his “apology” was disingenuous. He says he should’ve gotten in his car and driven back home. I call bullshit. The governor of California drove all the way there, just him and his wife? No security to accompany him, let alone to vet the place and number of attendees? 

Yeah, I stand by my earlier assessment. He’s a useless POS liar. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,813
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

It’s about imagery. Even his “apology” was disingenuous. He says he should’ve gotten in his car and driven back home. I call bullshit. The governor of California drove all the way there, just him and his wife? No security to accompany him, let alone to vet the place and number of attendees? 

Almost as disingenuous as apologizing for “getting set up” at a hair salon. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    nicknyr15 said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Lightfoot still has my favorite response of all. I'm on TV, I'm important and I care about my hygiene, so I need my hair cut.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    new crazy restrictions in manitoba effective tomorrow. no one allowed in your house if they don't live there, with some exceptions (health care, child care, etc). stores only allowed to sell essentials. all other items are to be removed from shelves by saturday open. no outdoor gatherings of more than 5. ticket of $298 for not wearing a mask inside. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    new crazy restrictions in manitoba effective tomorrow. no one allowed in your house if they don't live there, with some exceptions (health care, child care, etc). stores only allowed to sell essentials. all other items are to be removed from shelves by saturday open. no outdoor gatherings of more than 5. ticket of $298 for not wearing a mask inside. 

That's going to put a pinch on places (if you have them) like Dollar Tree, Big Lots and Walmart that sell 90% crap in the first place.  I wonder how well they will be able to enforce all those restriction?

• Options
    brianlux said:

That's going to put a pinch on places (if you have them) like Dollar Tree, Big Lots and Walmart that sell 90% crap in the first place.  I wonder how well they will be able to enforce all those restriction?
    the province has hired a private security firm to deal with handing out tickets to offenders so the cops don't have to 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    edited November 2020
    I don’t get stores only selling essentials.  Does covid attach more to non essential items?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don’t get stores only selling essentials.  Does covid attach more to non essential items?
    no, they just don't want anyone going to the store unless it is expressly for essentials. taking away non-essentials takes away many of the customers coming to get stuff they don't necessarily need at the moment.

cabela's worked around that restriction previously by starting to sell propane when they weren't before, because hey, everyone needs a new tent a bowie knife during a pandemic, right?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    manitoba premier earlier today: "now don't go out and buy a head of lettuce and a colour tv!". LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    no, they just don't want anyone going to the store unless it is expressly for essentials. taking away non-essentials takes away many of the customers coming to get stuff they don't necessarily need at the moment.

cabela's worked around that restriction previously by starting to sell propane when they weren't before, because hey, everyone needs a new tent a bowie knife during a pandemic, right?
    I'm definitely not a fan of those types of lockdowns.  I can go into home depot or costco with 200 people but I cant go into a little mom and pop store?  Dumb as hell (we did this in new jersey for a few months).  Mask up, wash hands and keep your distance.  
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    marjen said:
    bbiggs said:
    Wow, MN doing what should be done.  People gonna freak out.
    The idea that people are traveling and mixing households for turkey day is crazy.  
    Enjoy killing your relatives in the name of tradition.
    I think this can be done safely if both households quarantine before getting together.  For people that are working outside of the house and interacting with several people every day, that's another story.  The idea of no one getting together with family under any circumstance is extreme in my opinion, assuming the pre-gathering quarantine takes place.  I'm not saying that you were suggesting this shouldn't happen under any circumstance, by the way.  Just adding my $.02 on the topic.

The only problem with this is a proper quarantine period is like 2 weeks. Is anyone really going to not leave their house for 2 weeks? Based on what is happening with the numbers I think its not likely. 
    To try and take some precautions before finally cancelling our family thanksgiving I suggested everyone get tested Monday of next week then stay put for a couple of days and everyone in the family was either insulted or thought I was crazy. 
    I get it.  Tough to pull off.  For those with high risk individuals in the family, certainly makes less sense to attempt.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm definitely not a fan of those types of lockdowns.  I can go into home depot or costco with 200 people but I cant go into a little mom and pop store?  Dumb as hell (we did this in new jersey for a few months).  Mask up, wash hands and keep your distance.  
    Mom and pop stores don't have 60,000 square feet. if they did, they'd be allowed the same amount of people as home depot. 

and you can still go into that store. it's just at 25% capacity or 250 people, whichever is lower; essentials only. they have no choice because people aren't listening. they've been telling people to stay the fuck home and don't visit with friends, and the cases and deaths are rising like crazy. our ICU's are at almost capacity. our medical staff are running out of PPE. this is the nightmare everyone was expecting in the spring, but didn't because back then people were still actually scared. now everyone is tired of it, so they don't give a shit. 

and then they'll blame the "system" when their family member has to be left to die because the doctors had to draw straws. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I get what you are saying Hugh, we went through it in the spring (initial lockdown)  and are currently in the second wave (4000 plus cases a day/restrictions but no lock down). I just don’t like the idea of a lockdown.   Too many businesses around here on the brink of financial ruin.
    Side note, I hate the fact that deblasio gave parents a 12 hour heads up that nyc schools will be shut down.  
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Wow, MN doing what should be done.  People gonna freak out.
    The idea that people are traveling and mixing households for turkey day is crazy.  
    Enjoy killing your relatives in the name of tradition.
    I think this can be done safely if both households quarantine before getting together.  For people that are working outside of the house and interacting with several people every day, that's another story.  The idea of no one getting together with family under any circumstance is extreme in my opinion, assuming the pre-gathering quarantine takes place.  I'm not saying that you were suggesting this shouldn't happen under any circumstance, by the way.  Just adding my $.02 on the topic.

I agree 100% on doing this if all parties quarantine. 
    My sister and her son live with my mom.  They wear masks but are out among people every day.  This means that we cannot see my mom until this shit is dealt with.  Makes me angry but nothing can be done.  She sure isn't going to throw my sister out, nor would I want her to.

Makes total sense, man.  Hopefully you can reunite with family soon enough.  Very tough calls to be made as it relates to holidays this year.  I respect anyone’s decision if they’re smart and not reckless about it.  No one size fits all on this one.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Lightfoot still has my favorite response of all. I'm on TV, I'm important and I care about my hygiene, so I need my hair cut.
    She has an even better one.  “They we’re going to gather whether I was there or not” when she was called out for bring in a group in the streets with zero social distancing.  I’m paraphrasing.  Speaking of Chicago, two iconic restaurants both announced they’re closing.  Lawrys and Morton’s.  Both have been staples since the 70’s.  Plenty more to come.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Bingo.  Simple.  And who defines “essential?”  Liquor stores that sell nothing but booze are essential but restaurants are closing by the dozen.  Makes perfect sense. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    bbiggs said:
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

She has an even better one.  “They we’re going to gather whether I was there or not” when she was called out for bring in a group in the streets with zero social distancing.  I’m paraphrasing.  Speaking of Chicago, two iconic restaurants both announced they’re closing.  Lawrys and Morton’s.  Both have been staples since the 70’s.  Plenty more to come.  
    Though I have many fond memories of the place, Lawry’s really went downhill on their quality - at least the famous one here. 

Morton’s though...damn fine steaks!
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Bingo.  Simple.  And who defines “essential?”  Liquor stores that sell nothing but booze are essential but restaurants are closing by the dozen.  Makes perfect sense. 
    Exactly.  What is essential to me might be non essential to you and vice versa.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It makes sense because you don't sit down and remain in the liquor store with your mask off for 45 - 60 mins drinking Schnapps unless your name is Otis Campbell. I agree, liquor stores and other big box stores staying open seems dumb, but technically they should be 100x safer than being seated in a crowded restaurant or drunk at the bar at 10pm. In MN they tracked the majority of community spread to bars, restaurants and gyms so they are getting closed.

It's unfortunate that this concept is lost on the general public. They need to drop the essential line from the description and just plainly say we haven't seen spread at these places so they stay open for now with increased restrictions on capacity and hours.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

liquor is considered essential because you don't want addicts to start having health issues as a result of cutting them off. and that's exactly what the premier said. severe alcoholics would literally go into shock and start dropping dead.  i was actually impressed that he was point blank about it. 

not only that, you lock people in their homes, you can't also instill prohibition. they know the public wouldn't stand for it. there would be riots. like it or not, alcohol and drugs have become an essential part of our society. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

liquor is considered essential because you don't want addicts to start having health issues as a result of cutting them off. and that's exactly what the premier said. severe alcoholics would literally go into shock and start dropping dead.  i was actually impressed that he was point blank about it. 

not only that, you lock people in their homes, you can't also instill prohibition. they know the public wouldn't stand for it. there would be riots. like it or not, alcohol and drugs have become an essential part of our society. 
    Speaking of drugs...page 420 of this thread...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    haha nice
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It makes sense because you don't sit down and remain in the liquor store with your mask off for 45 - 60 mins drinking Schnapps unless your name is Otis Campbell. I agree, liquor stores and other big box stores staying open seems dumb, but technically they should be 100x safer than being seated in a crowded restaurant or drunk at the bar at 10pm. In MN they tracked the majority of community spread to bars, restaurants and gyms so they are getting closed.

It's unfortunate that this concept is lost on the general public. They need to drop the essential line from the description and just plainly say we haven't seen spread at these places so they stay open for now with increased restrictions on capacity and hours.
    Bingo
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I hear ya but don't close those businesses down, limit them to 25-50% indoor capacity.  I went out to dinner last week and tables were six feet apart. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I hear ya but don't close those businesses down, limit them to 25-50% indoor capacity.  I went out to dinner last week and tables were six feet apart. 
    I haven’t eaten in a restaurant in I don’t know how long. I have had a beer inside like....4 places in 7 months and never as king as having a meal. Being inside with who knows what type of HVAC with my mask off for a long time still concerns me. Even 6’ apart.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

That won't do much when you are there for an extended period sharing air though, and eating out is 100% non-essential.
    I'm over the "financial ruin" angle.  I just don't have it in me to care if your non-essential business goes under when people are dropping dead and hospitals are about to be overflowing.  
    Of course, the simple solution is that the government props those businesses up until they can drop restrictions, but there's no money available...unless it's for warmongering and helping profiteers, of course.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

That won't do much when you are there for an extended period sharing air though, and eating out is 100% non-essential.
    I'm over the "financial ruin" angle.  I just don't have it in me to care if your non-essential business goes under when people are dropping dead and hospitals are about to be overflowing.  
    Of course, the simple solution is that the government props those businesses up until they can drop restrictions, but there's no money available...unless it's for warmongering and helping profiteers, of course.
    There s gotta to be a healthy medium.  A bar can’t resemble spring break but it is unfair to completely shut it down since many people depend on that bar to earn wages. I think I have ate out maybe six times in the last two months and each restaurant limited you to 90 minutes when eating indoors.  If businesses follow the rules then I don’t see why they can’t be open.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
This discussion has been closed.