Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    43 days in a row with 0 cases in Taiwan.  Since it's more than two cycles of being contagious, about as close to completely virus free as a country can get.

Yet everybody still wears a mask and people take the necessary precautions. 

I wonder if there is causation.....hmmmmmm
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    MF117973 said:
    Do you guys believe reports that 35% or more of cases were asymptomatic and undetected?
    Apparently mine was. I felt mildly under the weather for about a week in mid March (although I did lose my sense of smell at that time for about 5 days). Did the antibody test last week out of curiosity since it was readily available in NYC. I tested positive for antibodies. So, there may be many cases like mine - where people had it at one point but didn't really know it.

I had a nasty cough for just about all of February. So bad it would make be throw up even. Fever came a few weeks later, went to the dr when it was over 102 at the end of February. There were only a few hundred known cases at the time and just a few in my state so they never considered testing. Don’t really care enough to get tested now. 
    I would guess a lot of people whom got sick in January and February propbably had it and was thought to be the flu or common cold.
    For a long time they were only testing people who had symptoms AND known contact with someone. The real numbers are bound to be much, much higher.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    brianlux said:
    Mike D88 said:
    Do you guys believe reports that 35% or more of cases were asymptomatic and undetected?
    Yes - and the number is probably much higher.

There was a study recently that found potential cross-reactivity to SARS-CoV-2 in the immune systems of over half of its unexposed participants, possibly due to past exposure to other coronaviruses.

That's good news, but it's not "okay, let's reopen!" news:
    -We're still nowhere near herd immunity (>80%).
    -Whatever the actual IFR (fatality rate) is, we've already seen it can overwhelm municipal healthcare systems, and the death toll is horrific.
    -The relationship between exposure site/viral load and severity of resulting disease is poorly understood.
    -If the virus manages to reach the bloodstream through the lungs, it appears all sorts of hell can break loose.
    -We only just recently learned that the virus essentially kneecaps the adaptive immune system in the early stages of the disease.
    -Lingering/chronic disease has not been ruled out (the virus has been found in CSF, among other things).

Sadly, a LOT of people don't get it!

Large crowds gather for Memorial Day as US braces to surpass 100,000 deaths

People packed bars and restaurants in Missouri and beaches in Georgia and Florida, while other places remained closed or followed social distancing rules

i apologize on behalf of the dumbass missourians that went to lake of the ozarks this weekend. we all knew that was coming, but we hoped intelligence would prevail. it didn't...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    brianlux said:
    Mike D88 said:

There was a study recently that found potential cross-reactivity to SARS-CoV-2 in the immune systems of over half of its unexposed participants, possibly due to past exposure to other coronaviruses.

-Whatever the actual IFR (fatality rate) is, we've already seen it can overwhelm municipal healthcare systems, and the death toll is horrific.
    -The relationship between exposure site/viral load and severity of resulting disease is poorly understood.
    -If the virus manages to reach the bloodstream through the lungs, it appears all sorts of hell can break loose.
    -We only just recently learned that the virus essentially kneecaps the adaptive immune system in the early stages of the disease.
    -Lingering/chronic disease has not been ruled out (the virus has been found in CSF, among other things).

People packed bars and restaurants in Missouri and beaches in Georgia and Florida, while other places remained closed or followed social distancing rules

i apologize on behalf of the dumbass missourians that went to lake of the ozarks this weekend. we all knew that was coming, but we hoped intelligence would prevail. it didn't...

I only know that area from the tv show and so intelligence was never going to prevail.  :D
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    brianlux said:
    Mike D88 said:

I get it, man.  Intelligence was scarce in parts of California as well, especially our beach areas and some parks.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,499
    Back to work after 72 days..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    23scidoo said:
    Back to work after 72 days..
    You work at a restaurant correct?  Are you allowed to have 100% capacity or are there restrictions?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    Since wearing a mask protects other people does anyone consider it a threat from people who don’t?  

Thanks to the majority of PJ fans for sharing similar opinions that include empathy, etc.  It’s easy to feel like you’re crazy for following the rules when you’re surrounded by so many who don’t.  The forum seems to be the only place I can go right now to feel that anyone agrees with me (besides my husband, children). Does that make sense, do you feel like that as well? I didn’t want to make these questions a poll, just wondering how many other people find this forum as one of the only calming places still left....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,762

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    brianlux said:
    Mike D88 said:

Unreal.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,066
    Since wearing a mask protects other people does anyone consider it a threat from people who don’t?  

Thanks to the majority of PJ fans for sharing similar opinions that include empathy, etc.  It’s easy to feel like you’re crazy for following the rules when you’re surrounded by so many who don’t.  The forum seems to be the only place I can go right now to feel that anyone agrees with me (besides my husband, children). Does that make sense, do you feel like that as well? I didn’t want to make these questions a poll, just wondering how many other people find this forum as one of the only calming places still left....
    To answer your first question I would say "no." There are people who cannot wear masks for legitimate reasons. Also, the relative risk varies greatly depending on the situation. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542

Yup
    Their idiocy and ignorance should not impede on my health and life or yours.

You should always do what's best for you and your family. Wearing a mask in public is a no-brainer.

They claim "my body my choice" yet most of them, if not all, are forced birthers.

If they and or their loved ones get sick or worse because of their nonchalance they have no one to blame but themselves.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823

I'm cynical enough to believe that if the masks were more helpful to "self" as opposed to "others" there'd be less resistance.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,762

Yup
    Their idiocy and ignorance should not impede on my health and life or yours.

You should always do what's best for you and your family. Wearing a mask in public is a no-brainer.

They claim "my body my choice" yet most of them, if not all, are forced birthers.

If they and or their loved ones get sick or worse because of their nonchalance they have no one to blame but themselves.

no. they'll blame Obama.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    @mickeyrat great article.  My favorite take from it was this "and flags that are rarely red, white and blue"

That statement is pretty damn powerful.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Unfortunately, this isnt a situation that you can fix yourself.. You have to rely on others to protect themselves also..I hate leaving the house these days..Mind blowing how people gather in crowds right now.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

No shit!  People who say wearing a mask is "tyranny" really need to get a grip.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Unfortunately, this isnt a situation that you can fix yourself.. You have to rely on others to protect themselves also..I hate leaving the house these days..Mind blowing how people gather in crowds right now.

It's mind boggling, isn't it?  I guess a lot of people just don't care or think they are invincible, but they also don't seem to care about others.  It's a hugely disappointing aspect of our society.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

“Calming”?

:rofl:
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    We have two new cases in the northern part of our province. A lot of people on my social media are wanting everything shut down again. What are people expecting here? Perfection? 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    We have two new cases in the northern part of our province. A lot of people on my social media are wanting everything shut down again. What are people expecting here? Perfection? 

It's going to be a hard balance to strike. PJNB.  Obviously not everything can be shut down or a lot of people would starve to death.  But with all the crowd gatherings and people ignoring physical distancing over the three day weekend, the cases are sure to rise, possibly even rise quite a bit.  So more closing up of non-essentials might be a wise choice.  There is no perfect answer.  What we need is to use as much caution as possible and for people like me who are pretty much retired to stay home.

• Options
    OnWis97 said:

I'm cynical enough to believe that if the masks were more helpful to "self" as opposed to "others" there'd be less resistance.

I don’t think there’s be less resistance, people just wouldn’t care. Like seatbelts, other than Amber Alerts, who else complains about people not wearing seatbelts?
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    In case you run out, you have options.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    PJNB said:
    Shut down again. Good grief, we (NYC) haven’t reopened yet! Our Pause ends on May 28th, but we have met only 5 out of the 7 metrics required to reopen to Phase 1. My work is in Phase 2.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It's going to be a hard balance to strike. PJNB.  Obviously not everything can be shut down or a lot of people would starve to death.  But with all the crowd gatherings and people ignoring physical distancing over the three day weekend, the cases are sure to rise, possibly even rise quite a bit.  So more closing up of non-essentials might be a wise choice.  There is no perfect answer.  What we need is to use as much caution as possible and for people like me who are pretty much retired to stay home.
    at some point we are going to have to move to it being a personal risk choice.  there is just no way to continue to keep things closed or re-close places that are just opening back up.  at least that is how i feel
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

at some point we are going to have to move to it being a personal risk choice.  there is just no way to continue to keep things closed or re-close places that are just opening back up.  at least that is how i feel

Good in theory but unfortunately some people see personal choice as  "right" to not take the necessary precautions to avoid spreading the disease.  And that abuse of "freedom" is why some things will likely get shut down again. It's a vicious cycle, that's for sure.

• Options
    For those that do not know my province of 770K has had 122 cases total and no deaths. Our borders are "closed" (you can get in and out if you really want to). If we can not open up no one can and if 2 cases are a cause for enough concern that people think we should shut back down and wait for a vaccine then we have a long road ahead of us. 
  • Options
    Renfield said:
    PJNB said:
    Shut down again. Good grief, we (NYC) haven’t reopened yet! Our Pause ends on May 28th, but we have met only 5 out of the 7 metrics required to reopen to Phase 1. My work is in Phase 2.
    Hope it happens sooner than later for you. Ours happened a lot faster than I thought it would. What 2 do you have left to meet?
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    For those that do not know my province of 770K has had 122 cases total and no deaths. Our borders are "closed" (you can get in and out if you really want to). If we can not open up no one can and if 2 cases are a cause for enough concern that people think we should shut back down and wait for a vaccine then we have a long road ahead of us. 
    That seems pretty ridiculous to me. More people have probably been hospitalized from spoiled food than that, are they going to lock down until there is a vaccine for bad meat?
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Mandatory masks inside now in Va..This is going to really piss off some idiots..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

This discussion has been closed.