Gigaton is a masterpiece!

Comments

• southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    JPPJ84 said:
    EarlWelsh said:
    I haven’t given the album a break since its release and it’s yet to get stale. Weakest track for me is Seven O’Clock but that’s not to say it’s bad necessarily. Not a “bad” song to be found.
    That’s my favorite!
    Mine too! 

Although I love the entire album....
    rustedsigns
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    I wish someone would hint at Stone to write a rocker. he kind of was there for the birth of grunge rock after all.

But maybe it's just his thing anymore. I'd love a stone riff rocker before it all ends though.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    JPPJ84 said:
    EarlWelsh said:
    I haven’t given the album a break since its release and it’s yet to get stale. Weakest track for me is Seven O’Clock but that’s not to say it’s bad necessarily. Not a “bad” song to be found.
    That’s my favorite!
    Mine too! 

Although I love the entire album....
    Same here =)
  • LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 691
    album is average. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    halv said:
    I seem to be one of the few that love Buckle Up. Sure, it's not a classic, but I like the tenderness of it. It's like a lullaby. 
    I love how dark and weird the lyrics are with almost cartoonish music. I kinda hate when Ed comes in  singing “buckle up...” 
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    It's the album that was released at the perfect time imo.  I absolutely love it. Eddies lyrics are off the charts. From start to finish. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Retrograde is getting the most play from me so far.  Similar to how In Hiding was for the first year of Yield.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    LukinAtU said:
    album is average. 
    Ur comment is below average 
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    LukinAtU said:
    album is average. 
    Ur comment is below average 
    Not for an Evenbro!  ;)
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Great album
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I love the new album... but I love Avacado so much.   I had to play Gigaton a bunch of times to grown on me.   Avacado was sort of like Yield for me.  I fell in love at first sight.   It's easily my favourite of the albums that came out in the 21st century.  I listened to it again yesterday to make sure, and I still love it.

I also love Binaural and Riot Act a lot.  Riot Act more so.  I know I easily put Gigaton over Lightning Bolt.   I love backspacer so it's tough a call too.  I guess Gigaton is somewhere my not at the bottom, but in my 3 before the bottom.    In the mix with Binaural and Backspacer.
  • Still listening to this album on a daily basis.
    When does this stop? :)
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    really love the new record too, a 'masterpiece' may be a bit strong, but its damn good to me
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    I agree OP.  It is a masterpiece!  Dont know where it falls for me quite yet in comparison to Yield, No Code, VS and Vitalogy but it is so fucking good and still getting better each listen.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    Not a masterpiece for me, but it's above Lightning Bolt and Backspacer.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    El said:
    I am torn between "best since Binaural" and "best since Avocado"... Depends on they day. 
    I'm in the "best since Avocado" group
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    It absolutely for me has more good to great songs then every album going back to Yield. I've already listened to this album start to finish more then BS and LB combined!
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Anybody else love it when  ed says.
    "Hit me with your rhythm stick"  At the start of whoeversaid. It make me smile and ready. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Anybody else love it when  ed says.
    "Hit me with your rhythm stick"  At the start of whoeversaid. It make me smile and ready. 
    Yea it’s funny... great song...Ed’s conviction off the charts
  • graham1978graham1978 Posts: 51
    Really like the album. But, if I'm honest, I struggle to get past Take the Long Way. Feels like it needs something a bit more upbeat in the last stretch. 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    it’s still pretty great after 3 months. I think this record blows Lightning bolt and backspacer out of the water.  Wish we could hear live.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Better than anything since Binaural IMO
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    it’s still pretty great after 3 months. I think this record blows Lightning bolt and backspacer out of the water.  Wish we could hear live.
    When we hear this live I am going to know every line of every song off this record. I don’t think this has happened to me with a new album show in a really long time. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    MF117973 said:
    When we hear this live I am going to know every line of every song off this record. I don’t think this has happened to me with a new album show in a really long time. 
    true...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I'm always looking forward to the next show, but I am dying to get to one to hear these songs live. 
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    I'm always looking forward to the next show, but I am dying to get to one to hear these songs live. 
    Agreed, Tim! The album is aces, IMO, and the fully immersive experience of it, the gap that many are eager to bridge, is hearing these songs played live. Ahhh...one day... :rock_on:
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I took a little break from it, and came back to it, and I seem to like it even more.   I have a deep respect for Avacado... but I do wonder where I'll rank this album 10 to 15 years from now.. 
  • Over 2 months out now and still addicted to Gigaton.
    What a great album!
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    Over 2 months out now and still addicted to Gigaton.
    What a great album!
    The only people that are sick of Gigaton are my neighbors!  ;)
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Best since Binaural, even though I love Avocado for sentimental reasons. Some surprise song styles (DotC) and revitalized rock tracks (Great Escape) that really proved my expectations wrong after Lightning Bolt and Backspacer. 

Masterpiece? A stretch, but it’s a solid album and concept that I’ve listened to at least a good 100 times while I’ve been working from home.