Options

Gigaton is a masterpiece!

Comments

• Options
    tschav said:
    Best since Binaural that really proved my expectations wrong after Lightning Bolt and Backspacer. 
    Best since Yield for me.
    I also had low expectations after the last two records, boy was I wrong!
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
    I cannot get enough of this album.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,901
    Best since Yield. If Binaural and Riot Act had been recorded differently then maybe not, but I just love the whole album, the mix, the recording, the music, the lyrics, art, diverse range of tunes. Is it their best ‘sounding’ album??
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited May 2020
    Best since Yield. If Binaural and Riot Act had been recorded differently then maybe not, but I just love the whole album, the mix, the recording, the music, the lyrics, art, diverse range of tunes. Is it their best ‘sounding’ album??
    The “sound” of this album is what makes it so great. The production by Josh is just breathtaking. The sound of the drums and bass. The warmth yet the way the drums resonate is just what makes this album so powerful. Everyone on this album sound better than they may ever have. Ed’s singing is better than it’s been in years. Josh captures the tone perfectly. Between the production and brilliance and creativity of Gigaton and what Fiona did with Fetch the Bolt Cutters, Music has just been put on notice that some veterans mixed with some new blood are making music for the ages and it “sounds” better than ever. Please have Josh remix all the other albums. His brilliance is the new standard and all other producers should take many notes. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    Listening to this album while slowly getting my ass back in shape is making things so much more enjoyable and easy to look forward too. Not 1 song is skippable for me. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,901
    The “sound” of this album is what makes it so great. The production by Josh is just breathtaking. The sound of the drums and bass. The warmth yet the way the drums resonate is just what makes this album so powerful. Everyone on this album sound better than they may ever have. Ed’s singing is better than it’s been in years. Josh captures the tone perfectly. Between the production and brilliance and creativity of Gigaton and what Fiona did with Fetch the Bolt Cutters, Music has just been put on notice that some veterans mixed with some new blood are making music for the ages and it “sounds” better than ever. Please have Josh remix all the other albums. His brilliance is the new standard and all other producers should take many notes. 
    How good would Binaural sound!? Wow! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    How good would Binaural sound!? Wow! 
    🤯🤯🤯
  • Options
    I think it's their best studio album since Riot Act. In my opinion, Gigaton doesn't have a trio of songs that can match Save You, Ghost, and Thumbing My Way. Nonetheless, I love Gigaton too. It's interesting to note that Gigaton and Riot Act represent the band's two worst-selling albums. Anyway, I really appreciate both of them!
  • Options
    William WallaceWilliam Wallace Posts: 553
    edited May 2020
    Gigaton doesn't have a trio of songs that can match Save You, Ghost, and Thumbing My Way. 
    In my opinion, the first eight songs on Gigaton have a perfect flow. They are all fantastic in the context of this album.
    Buckle Up is the only song I would not miss if it wasn't on Gigaton.
    The last three songs are fantastic again.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Buckle Up is one of my favorites. It’s so soft and simple and when Ed comes in and says, “I’ve got blood, blood on my hands, the stain, of a human” I’m like holy shit, what the fuck just happened. And the fact that Ed sings it quiet and controlled, makes it seem like a normal thing. When chaos is happening and he’s somehow calm. Buckle Up, some shits going down and we don’t know how it’s going to end. It’s just a haunting song that destroys me. The whole album is a classic. Everything that PJ and crew did for this album, from the visual accompaniment to the last note is a game changer. This is one of the best albums I have ever heard and not just from PJ. Can’t get enough. 

Had the pleasure of listening again after this post. The rolling pattern is almost like being in the ocean surrounded by waves. It makes you almost feel the turbulence of the words that Eddie is singing. Like a beautiful sea sickness. It takes you on this uneven ride while Ed sings in a lullaby tone and cadence. Awesome!!!
  • Options
    The whole album is a classic. Everything that PJ and crew did for this album, from the visual accompaniment to the last note is a game changer. This is one of the best albums I have ever heard and not just from PJ. Can’t get enough. 
    100% my opinion.
    Hope the album will stand the test of time - I'm pretty confident about it.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    Buckle Up is one of my favorites. It’s so soft and simple and when Ed comes in and says, “I’ve got blood, blood on my hands, the stain, of a human” I’m like holy shit, what the fuck just happened. And the fact that Ed sings it quiet and controlled, makes it seem like a normal thing. When chaos is happening and he’s somehow calm. Buckle Up, some shits going down and we don’t know how it’s going to end. It’s just a haunting song that destroys me. The whole album is a classic. Everything that PJ and crew did for this album, from the visual accompaniment to the last note is a game changer. This is one of the best albums I have ever heard and not just from PJ. Can’t get enough. 

Had the pleasure of listening again after this post. The rolling pattern is almost like being in the ocean surrounded by waves. It makes you almost feel the turbulence of the words that Eddie is singing. Like a beautiful sea sickness. It takes you on this uneven ride while Ed sings in a lullaby tone and cadence. Awesome!!!
    Yep!
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,868
    This album evokes passion.i love that
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 921
    I love the production and flow of the lp. The songs sit perfectly.  Who ever said is ideal opener. When Eddie gets animated at. 'As the silence gets louder my heart gets pounding' perfectly sets the tone for the lp. Its absolutely fabulous.  Would be a great show opener.  I'd love a 2021 show where they play gigaton in full start to finish. That would be some show!! 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    eboweddie said:
    Would be a great show opener.  I'd love a 2021 show where they play gigaton in full start to finish. That would be some show!! 
    Now that would be a great concert!
    The bathroom break is booked when Buckle Up is played... :)
  • Options
    I think it could deffo happen. It's a complete piece of work. Fingers crossed.  

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    eboweddie said:
    Would be a great show opener.  I'd love a 2021 show where they play gigaton in full start to finish. That would be some show!! 
    Even if it was the first/only time you‘d ever hear it live?!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    As much as I would like to hear Gigaton in it’s entirety, Buckle Up would be an awesome opener, followed by a super intense version of Go. That’s a start to a show. I got pumped typing it out. 

Low lights and that cadence. Buckle up here comes greatness. Right into Go. Full lights. Crowd goes ape shit. 🔥🔥🔥
  • Options
    William WallaceWilliam Wallace Posts: 553
    edited June 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    eboweddie said:
    No, I was just kidding. ;)
    Although I think Buckle Up is the weakest track on Gigaton, there would be no way I would skip the song live.
    Post edited by William Wallace on
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    eboweddie said:
    No, I was just kidding. ;)
    Although I think Buckle Up is the weakest track on Gigaton, there would be no way I would skip the song live.
    Good choice ;)
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    really love the new record too, a 'masterpiece' may be a bit strong, but its damn good to me
    +1 on that Paul...really enjoyable album and a hell of a listen (still listening)...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Working out listening  to Sirius and alright came on, holy shit what a song.  This one is gonna kick some major ass live.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Alright as an opener perhaps?. 

• Options
    eboweddie said:
    Sounds perfect to me 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    eboweddie said:
    It's a perfect opener....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Right now, Ed coming out and farting into the mic with a wet power blast would be a great opener. That means shows are back. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    eboweddie said:
    Hell yeah!  Great call.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    It's a great album. I would still place Riot Act and Binaural ahead of it but it's of a much higher quality song-for-song than I was expecting. Great late-career album.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,725
    From start to finish it is a masterpiece. Can't wait to see them play the album live.

I'll tell ya it was a little strangle early in the year. With the album coming out after their Canadian dates, ALOT of folks were talking that they would only play 3 or so songs off the album up here in Canada. There was no word if they could of bumped the release date of the album early so we could hear the album before those dates but it didn't happen. With the shows postponed, now we get a chance to wait & sing along with Pearl Jam, as now they can play any song they want off Gigaton here in Canada.

:)
  • Options
    RobertwileysrRobertwileysr Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Posts: 22
    Gigaton is a flashlight in the darkness of the world. For me, it wasn't love at first listen, but that isn't to say that it's not a good album. I'll join the bandwagon and say that Buckle Up is one of the weaker tracks, not bad, just not good. I was pleasantly surprised with tracks like Who Ever Said, Quick Escape, Never Destination, and Take The Long Way, tracks that still have that rockish vibe that the band has portrayed before. DOTC (Dance Of The Clairvoyants) took me by surprise as well. I like the fact that the band went this far out of their comfort zone for. All of the songs on Gigaton have a great vibe. I think this is the most versatile album Pearl Jam has made. 

My uncle told me that he thinks all of the songs sound the same (he's not a PJ fan, but listened to it for me, because he's the only music fan I can talk to, and have a more educated conversation with) and I see why he said that, but I have to disagree.