Dinosaur Jr. + J Mascis

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Woo hoo! Awesome news!

Looking forward to a tour as well. These guys are total behemoths live.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Sorry I know i'm new here but just wanted to say that i'm stoked for the news and that i'm currently waiting for xmas to order my new J Mascis Jazzmaster electric guitar...I've been annoying the guys in the band for a few months about it haha. Hopefully they tour in Canada!

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Sorry I know i'm new here but just wanted to say that i'm stoked for the news and that i'm currently waiting for xmas to order my new J Mascis Jazzmaster electric guitar...I've been annoying the guys in the band for a few months about it haha. Hopefully they tour in Canada!

Hi there, nautical.  No need to apologize!  Always happy to see another Dinosaur fan! 

Enjoy that new Jazzmaster.  I have to admit, I've been tempted with that one a number of times myself! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    Sorry I know i'm new here but just wanted to say that i'm stoked for the news and that i'm currently waiting for xmas to order my new J Mascis Jazzmaster electric guitar...I've been annoying the guys in the band for a few months about it haha. Hopefully they tour in Canada!

Hi there, nautical.  No need to apologize!  Always happy to see another Dinosaur fan! 

Enjoy that new Jazzmaster.  I have to admit, I've been tempted with that one a number of times myself! 

Haha get it! It's too beautiful a guitar not to get it! One of the most impressive things about Dinosaur Jr is the fact that they were able to make an absolute killer album with the original lineup years and years after the last one. I'm always skeptical of reunions, even if J is obviously the main force, and then I heard "Almost Ready" for the first time...sweet jesus. Very few bands can pull that off...superchunk was another. 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    brianlux said:

Haha get it! It's too beautiful a guitar not to get it! One of the most impressive things about Dinosaur Jr is the fact that they were able to make an absolute killer album with the original lineup years and years after the last one. I'm always skeptical of reunions, even if J is obviously the main force, and then I heard "Almost Ready" for the first time...sweet jesus. Very few bands can pull that off...superchunk was another. 
    I can't remember if it was earlier in this thread we were talking about it, but it's crazy how good the new albums have been
  • pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

I can't remember if it was earlier in this thread we were talking about it, but it's crazy how good the new albums have been

They're so good it's not fair. I have to remind myself when I write songs that I'm an amateur and not J Mascis aka rock god, otherwise I could get very discouraged very quickly.

pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

They're so good it's not fair. I have to remind myself when I write songs that I'm an amateur and not J Mascis aka rock god, otherwise I could get very discouraged very quickly.

Totally agree with you both.  DJ is such a great band and still killing it.  I'm totally stoked on hearing they are back in the studio!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

Totally agree with you both.  DJ is such a great band and still killing it.  I'm totally stoked on hearing they are back in the studio!
    Can we also agree that "In a Jar" has one of the best sounding bass lines ever? The melody and the tone of the bass just kills me... :)

brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

Can we also agree that "In a Jar" has one of the best sounding bass lines ever? The melody and the tone of the bass just kills me... :)

Right on!  Lou Barlow is the man when it comes to bass guitar!  Right up there with some of my other favorites- Jeff Ament, Jack Bruce, Lemmy and John Entwhistle.

"In a Jar" also has some of my favorite lyrics.  Just plain crazy good!

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Deluxe expanded editions of Green Mind, Where You Been, Without a Sound, and Hand It Over out on colored vinyl.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    goldrush said:

That is SO COOL!

dankind said:
    Deluxe expanded editions of Green Mind, Where You Been, Without a Sound, and Hand It Over out on colored vinyl.

I gave serious though to these but have them all plus some 7" and 12" stuff so no enough to win me over yet (mainly the expense for just a few songs).  Maybe one of these days I'll get the CD's just to hear those few extra numbers.  With the in-the-studio talk going around, I'm hoping to be shelling out some dough for a new album/CD/t-shirt deal to come out later this year! Hoping big time!  I need me a new Dino fix!

Agreed on all counts, Brian. The world needs more Dinosaur Jr!
    dudeman said:
    Agreed on all counts, Brian. The world needs more Dinosaur Jr!

:plus_one:

How on earth have I only just seen this?!?

https://youtu.be/B-HJ2ImyIck

(Tim Rogers)
    That's fucking beautiful!
    dudeman said:
    That's fucking beautiful!
    Wow- yes!

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Watch the Corners
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    edited May 2020
    Post edited by ST66483 on
  • petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    ST66483 said:
    That is good news. Thank you for sharing.
    Woo hoo! This is great news. These guys have never made an album that isn't awesome. 

Really looking forward to this!
    Lou says he "got in trouble" for talking about the new Dinosaur Jr LP...

This is from the latest email from his Joyful Noise 'Artist Enabler' series:

(Tim Rogers)
    ST66483 said:

'scuse me... I have to go outside and whoo hoo as loudly as I can!  :smiley: 

Damn!  That felt good!  I'm gonna go out and do it again!!! :lol:

I hope this release doesn't get hung up or delayed. It must be difficult for bands to release an album without knowing the extent that they will be able to tour in support of it.

New Dinosaur Jr would be good right about now. 

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

Nice!

Here's a J question that I often wonder about:  In that photo, see that wad of something in J's left pocket?  It's often even puffier, more bulging than that.  What is that?  Extra socks?  An XXL hankie?  What the heck is that?. 

J Mascis, highly animated and exuberant as always, talks about strings and getting some air from his playing: