Dinosaur Jr. + J Mascis

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    brianlux said:

Super bummed to find out that the pre-order for the new LP. Sweep it into Space, in colored vinyl is already out of stock.  I hate bands/ promoters that do this.  A faithful fan can't buy a colored album?  Hmmm, maybe time to find another favorite band.  Fuck this shit.
    This one? 

Yes, I think it might be the same one DIno's store ran out of but I'm not sure.  Looks like I'll go with that one. Despite mu frustration with Kunfu, it's Dino- gotta have it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    @brianlux

It looks like the translucent purple vinyl is available again at Dinosaur Jr's shop!

Good luck, Brian. Hope you can grab one!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    @brianlux

It looks like the translucent purple vinyl is available again at Dinosaur Jr's shop!

Good luck, Brian. Hope you can grab one!

Ah, thanks man.  Too late though, I ordered from Bullmoose.  Bummer, but at least I'll get it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Good deal, man! The music is what matters.

I can't wait for the this album!
    dudeman said:
    Good deal, man! The music is what matters.

I can't wait for the this album!

:plus_one:

Tour dates added!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    New video for 'The Garden' just premiered

https://youtu.be/Hu0_TOybRx0
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Counting down the days for this release. It's getting close!
    goldrush said:
    New video for 'The Garden' just premiered

https://youtu.be/Hu0_TOybRx0

Beautiful!  Lou's songs just keep getting better and better. 

This is pretty cool!

https://youtu.be/zu1sigxqRmE

In the third episode of Re-Creation, J Mascis — lead singer, guitarist and songwriter for Dinosaur Jr. — sends his American Acoustasonic Jazzmaster through an epic pedal rig for this unforgettable performance of “Freak Scene.”

(Tim Rogers)
    The next video from Sweep It Into Space is out now.

Take It Back

https://youtu.be/IQi2l1oy1TA

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    This is pretty cool!

https://youtu.be/zu1sigxqRmE

In the third episode of Re-Creation, J Mascis — lead singer, guitarist and songwriter for Dinosaur Jr. — sends his American Acoustasonic Jazzmaster through an epic pedal rig for this unforgettable performance of “Freak Scene.”

Killer!!!

Lou posted this on FB earlier:

happy new-dinosaur-jr-album-release-day to me! floating music into the wide world is a great feeling so this is more of a birthday than my own birthday.. pictured is the new LP, CD, the guitar I wrote my two songs on (purchased when I was on tour with DJ back in 2019) and th recording set up I work out my arrangements with.. also in the pic is a set list we’ve been practicing because -we can practice now-.. thanks to everyone who keeps us going Brian Schwartz and Amy Abrams at 7s  in particular and all u fans of course!

Zoom in on that set list!

(Tim Rogers)
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Another really good album. 
    Another really good album. 
    For sure! I think it's potentially their most accessible record for new fans since "Farm".

Quite a bit lighter and more melodic and poppy than anything they've done previously. 

If it weren't for J's voice and guitar giving it away, most of the songs on Sweep It Into Space could easily have been Pearl Jam songs in a parallel universe. 
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Solid album. Garden is a really great tune.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    Just arrived!  Whoo hoo!!!
    Sweep It Into Space Vinyl LP Album Limited Edition album cover

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Just got tix to the 9:30 club gig in November. Can't wait.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    Just got tix to the 9:30 club gig in November. Can't wait.

Awesome!  That's a ways off but it would be very cool if you could give us a little write up about the show.  Have a great time (and don't forget to take ear plugs, lol!)

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Finally got the new one

AMAZING!!!!
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    erebus said:
    Finally got the new one

AMAZING!!!!

Great!  Yep, another cool Dino LP!

• kotton_crownkotton_crown Posts: 211
    Been listening to Your Living All Over Me and Bug a lot lately and was gonna check out some of the other albums.  Looks like on Spotify most of the other albums are 2019 remasters, any opinion on these? Usually dislike remasters and would prefer to listen as released.
    Been listening to Your Living All Over Me and Bug a lot lately and was gonna check out some of the other albums.  Looks like on Spotify most of the other albums are 2019 remasters, any opinion on these? Usually dislike remasters and would prefer to listen as released.

Good question, kotton.  Everything I have is either original or earlier UK Warner reissues or earlier Jagjauwar reissues, all of which sound  great.  There has been some mention on the a Dinosaur Jr fan page on FaceBook about the 2019 reissues and they seem positive. I agree though- I'd rather start with original masters when possible.

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,035
    brianlux said:

Good question, kotton.  Everything I have is either original or earlier UK Warner reissues or earlier Jagjauwar reissues, all of which sound  great.  There has been some mention on the a Dinosaur Jr fan page on FaceBook about the 2019 reissues and they seem positive. I agree though- I'd rather start with original masters when possible.
    I bought all 4 of the 90’s reissues from Cherry Records in the UK. They are fantastic (I only got CDs). Tons of b sides and live shows, with great liner notes for each album.

And if you have not listened to any of the reunion albums, they are top notch, especially Beyond, Farm, and Sweep It Into Space.
    brianlux said:

I bought all 4 of the 90’s reissues from Cherry Records in the UK. They are fantastic (I only got CDs). Tons of b sides and live shows, with great liner notes for each album.

And if you have not listened to any of the reunion albums, they are top notch, especially Beyond, Farm, and Sweep It Into Space.
    Agreed on all counts! They really did the reissues right. 
    edited May 2021
    This is a pretty cool conversation between J and Richard Thompson

https://youtu.be/k2MhDaw6OfU

“The finest rock songwriter after Dylan.” “The best electric guitarist since Hendrix.” Who is this man? A man who packed more than a lifetime of experiences into his late teens and twenties? None other than international and longtime beloved music legend Richard Thompson.

The master of British folk music joins us via livestream with an intimate look at the early years of his career, encapsulated in his memoir Beeswing: Losing My Way and Finding My Voice 1967-1975. In this conversation with Dinosaur Jr.’s J Mascis, Thompson takes us on a moving journey through the pivotal years of 1967 to 1975, when he formed the band Fairport Convention with some schoolmates and helped establish the genre of British folk rock. The journey then takes us through a heady period of massive tours, where he crossed paths with the likes of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Jimi Hendrix. But while there were some high highs, there were undoubtedly some low lows. The eight-year period was also marked by change, upheaval, and tragedy. Join us for a program featuring a short live performance from Thompson and a conversation that vividly captures the life of a remarkable artist during a period of creative intensity, in a world on the cusp of change.

Richard Thompson‘s widely beloved early work within the band Fairport Convention revived British folk traditions, and his duet albums and performances with Linda Thompson are legendary. His songs have been covered by Elvis Costello, David Byrne, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, and REM, among others. He continues to write and perform, and to tour widely. He lives in New Jersey.

J Mascis is a musician, producer, and film composer, best known as the frontman of the influential indie rock trio Dinosaur Jr. He started as a founding member of the hardcore band Deep Wound, until co-founding Dinosaur Jr. in 1984. In 1991, Dinosaur Jr. disbanded and Mascis released More Light, his first recording under the moniker J Mascis + The Fog. He often plays with other bands in addition to performing solo, and has been heavily involved behind the scenes producing and mixing records for highly regarded acts.

(Tim Rogers)
    brianlux said:

Yes!  Love 'em all.  Farm is one of my favorite albums of theirs and of all my records!  Also really dig the Bug Live at the 9:30 Club DVD.  I've watched all or parts of it numerous times and have the LP.  Great stuff! 

goldrush said:
    This is a pretty cool conversation between J and Richard Thompson

https://youtu.be/k2MhDaw6OfU

“The finest rock songwriter after Dylan.” “The best electric guitarist since Hendrix.” Who is this man? A man who packed more than a lifetime of experiences into his late teens and twenties? None other than international and longtime beloved music legend Richard Thompson.

The master of British folk music joins us via livestream with an intimate look at the early years of his career, encapsulated in his memoir Beeswing: Losing My Way and Finding My Voice 1967-1975. In this conversation with Dinosaur Jr.’s J Mascis, Thompson takes us on a moving journey through the pivotal years of 1967 to 1975, when he formed the band Fairport Convention with some schoolmates and helped establish the genre of British folk rock. The journey then takes us through a heady period of massive tours, where he crossed paths with the likes of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Jimi Hendrix. But while there were some high highs, there were undoubtedly some low lows. The eight-year period was also marked by change, upheaval, and tragedy. Join us for a program featuring a short live performance from Thompson and a conversation that vividly captures the life of a remarkable artist during a period of creative intensity, in a world on the cusp of change.

Richard Thompson‘s widely beloved early work within the band Fairport Convention revived British folk traditions, and his duet albums and performances with Linda Thompson are legendary. His songs have been covered by Elvis Costello, David Byrne, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, and REM, among others. He continues to write and perform, and to tour widely. He lives in New Jersey.

J Mascis is a musician, producer, and film composer, best known as the frontman of the influential indie rock trio Dinosaur Jr. He started as a founding member of the hardcore band Deep Wound, until co-founding Dinosaur Jr. in 1984. In 1991, Dinosaur Jr. disbanded and Mascis released More Light, his first recording under the moniker J Mascis + The Fog. He often plays with other bands in addition to performing solo, and has been heavily involved behind the scenes producing and mixing records for highly regarded acts.

The man who loves all things purple asking Richard Thompson about grape juice...  :lol:  oh my God, only J!  I love that guy!

Look who is on the cover of The Big Takeover!  My copy just arrived today.  Juliana Hatfield, Cheap Trick, and 13th Floor Elevator as well!  Can't wait to dig into this issue!
    The Big Takeover NEWS Big Takeover Issue 88 Dinosaur Jr cover About  to Ship Important Because of Limited Store OpeningsCapacity This Issue  Is Mostly Only Available By Mail Must SubscribeRenewPre-Order Now  Existing

(Tim Rogers)