Jason Isbell

Comments

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    edited May 2020
    As said above great album and a very nice sounding vinyl as well. Really happy to get my hands on this indie version, made for a nice weekend. Fair warning, if you are a girl dad, grab some tissues for the album closer

also, huge thanks to Jason at Electric Avenue in West Chester. When I asked he said he never got any of the Red Eye prints, but later did get them and called me to tell me he held me one. 
    Post edited by pjpitt89 on
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Great new album. So impressed after the first spin. Some really cool guitar parts throughout. 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I really hope the one I ordered from Jason's store arrives on Friday. It's hard not to go out and buy another copy while I wait.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    edited May 2020
    May 30th said:
    Overseas after one listen... amazing. 
    Loved the couple of live versions of this one that are floating around. I'm dying to get my hands on the album. Latest USPS update is that my copy it's in Dallas! 
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Really good profile in the NY Times today. Way more raw than I would have guessed. Highly recommend. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/11/arts/music/jason-isbell-reunions.html#click=https://t.co/2VqJAJSwfB
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Pre-ordered from an indie in Austin. I live an hour from there. Latest USPS update shows it has arrived in Cincinnati. The routing doesn't make sense to me but I'm supposed to get it on Thursday. Lol, I guess.
    same here.  a bit annoying since they're doing curbside again.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    the album is probably my least favorite of all his records.  it's not bad by any means, it just doesn't click with me like his others have.  maybe it will with more listens.
    ComeToTX said:
    the album is probably my least favorite of all his records.  it's not bad by any means, it just doesn't click with me like his others have.  maybe it will with more listens.
    I get that, but I also try not to compare albums from artists I like. I just enjoy the fact there is more good music out there in the universe than there was the day before.
    true.  there's a few good new isbell tunes and i'm happy about that.  i just wish he'd mix it up a bit.  this is the guy that wrote go it alone and decoration day...let's rock some.
    ComeToTX said:
    true.  there's a few good new isbell tunes and i'm happy about that.  i just wish he'd mix it up a bit.  this is the guy that wrote go it alone and decoration day...let's rock some.
    I haven't heard the entire album yet. Still waiting on the USPS to deliver. Two of the first four singles released however will "rock some" in concert for sure. If we're ever allowed to go to concerts again.

Reading various reviews/interviews, I was under the impression this was his most "rock" album maybe of his entire solo career.

To be clear, I'm not arguing with you. Haven't heard the record in its entirety. That was just the impression I got from reading.
    ComeToTX said:
    I haven't heard the entire album yet. Still waiting on the USPS to deliver. Two of the first four singles released however will "rock some" in concert for sure. If we're ever allowed to go to concerts again.

Reading various reviews/interviews, I was under the impression this was his most "rock" album maybe of his entire solo career.

To be clear, I'm not arguing with you. Haven't heard the record in its entirety. That was just the impression I got from reading.
    Ditto on all this. Still waiting on mine to get here but I had the same impression. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    The two songs i've heard are definite rockers
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    4 rockers (What've I Done, Overseas, be Afraid, It Gets Easier) 2, mid tempo (dreamsicle, River), 3 acoustic (Only Children, St. peter, Letting You Go) and 1 Dire Straits homage (Running With Our Eyes Closed). 

STEREOGUM: Then there was this sort of bizarre full-circle moment where Eddie Vedder, the guy Bradley Cooper had partially based his character off, winds up playing this song. Now I know at this point in your career, plenty of surreal things have happened, but you’re of the age where Eddie Vedder was like, one of the biggest names on the planet when you were a kid.

ISBELL: Oh, yeah, for sure. When Ten came out, I was 13, 14, something like that. I was playing guitar and learning all those parts. That record was a huge deal for me. And they’ve held up, they’re one of the rare rock bands that came around in that era and survived and nobody got all that tired of, which just speaks to the quality of the work. That was huge. I was jumping up and down when I heard him singing that song. Since then, I heard from Mike McCready, who’s a big fan of my songs, and we texted back and forth a little bit.

That was probably an even bigger deal for me, because Mike’s guitar parts were like a Bible for me as a kid. Honestly, it’s the first time I ever heard somebody play old guitars through big loud amps and have it played on the radio. Everyone up until then was playing pointy guitars or pastel ’80s guitars. Except for Slash, I gotta give Slash credit. He played his old Les Paul copy through the whole thing. But Pearl Jam was the first time I heard really Hendrix-sounding guitar tones on the radio every day and I thought, “Wow, you can still do that, people will still listen to that kind of rock ‘n’ roll music.”

Would love for PJ to ask Isbell to open some stadium shows at some point. Would be a killer as fuck.
    Still haven't listened to this but its getting great reviews.  
    what ever you felt about the last one, you’ll feel about this
    Great sign then!  Ive heard Overseas (live) and Be Afraid.   Like both of them a lot.  Avoiding the rest until my LP arrives
  • ComeToTX said:

STEREOGUM: Then there was this sort of bizarre full-circle moment where Eddie Vedder, the guy Bradley Cooper had partially based his character off, winds up playing this song. Now I know at this point in your career, plenty of surreal things have happened, but you’re of the age where Eddie Vedder was like, one of the biggest names on the planet when you were a kid.

ISBELL: Oh, yeah, for sure. When Ten came out, I was 13, 14, something like that. I was playing guitar and learning all those parts. That record was a huge deal for me. And they’ve held up, they’re one of the rare rock bands that came around in that era and survived and nobody got all that tired of, which just speaks to the quality of the work. That was huge. I was jumping up and down when I heard him singing that song. Since then, I heard from Mike McCready, who’s a big fan of my songs, and we texted back and forth a little bit.

That was probably an even bigger deal for me, because Mike’s guitar parts were like a Bible for me as a kid. Honestly, it’s the first time I ever heard somebody play old guitars through big loud amps and have it played on the radio. Everyone up until then was playing pointy guitars or pastel ’80s guitars. Except for Slash, I gotta give Slash credit. He played his old Les Paul copy through the whole thing. But Pearl Jam was the first time I heard really Hendrix-sounding guitar tones on the radio every day and I thought, “Wow, you can still do that, people will still listen to that kind of rock ‘n’ roll music.”

Wow. TY for posting this. I love reading what other musicians say about PJ.
    edited May 2020
    Isbell has had wonderful things to say about PJ. 

He majorly big upped them when they raised what they raised for the Home shows and said he was proud to love them for forever because they did and stood up for what they do. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    edited May 2020
    https://twitter.com/jasonisbell/status/422980573410234369?s=21

IDK how to make tweets appear in a post. I don’t care. Here’s some positive stuff

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    what ever you felt about the last one, you’ll feel about this
    Not as good, imo. 
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    Jason is pure gold.  All his records since southeastern have been great.  And, the others all have some solid tunes too.  I’m not a truckers fan, but his Truckers songs are great.  

Glad to hear about the mutual love between he and my favorite band.  I’m not shocked of the mutual respect and I assume he and mike have a lot in common. 
    Yeah im loving this abum
    Staying up late to stream the shit out of this. Gotten as far as River. As far as the songs go that I haven't already heard ... holy shit

OK so probably other Isbell albums are "better" from start to finish but also I'm sitting on my back porch kinda weeping at the end of this thing. So I mean ... if you can evoke those emotions, you've done your job Mr. Songwriter.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Vinyl won't be here until next week but this sounded damn good on the first stream.  I was a little late to the party on Isbell....he's fucking awesome.
    Spent the afternoon learning Overseas on guitar.  

I knew it was going to be my favorite because i loved the live version so much.   The studio version is killer
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1