Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    cutz said:
    goldrush said:
    It’s time to vote for your choice of the next NYA releases

The same list is repeated twice, so you can enter your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices
    NYA website is really difficult to navigate . I'm having problems locating that Survey. I clicked around and no luck finding it.
    this work?
    https://forms.gle/xSpHCHnKgAo1a4ge8

That worked, thanks!
    The only problem is the wording.  The way it's stated it's like you get to choose three from each question category, but only one registers for a total of three selections.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:
    someone needs to Vote for Alchemy and the MirrorBall releases... please!!!!
    I had Mirrorball and Alchemy in my second vote (along with Toast). There doesn’t seem to be a limit on how many times you can vote.

thank you!!! that 2012 tour was awesome.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Mirrorball Live featured in the top 3 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices triumph

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Neil has hinted at a rough release schedule in a 'Letters To The Editor' reply:

(Tim Rogers)
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Neil Young hasn’t played a show since Farm Aid in September — and in a new letter to a fan on the Neil Young Archives he said that’s unlikely to change anytime soon. “Don’t expect anything,” he wrote when asked about his 2020 tour plans. “I am not focused on playing. I am taking care of my music.”

Bummer.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Neil is playing a benefit in Los Angeles on May 30.  I can't make that show because I'm attending a wedding that day.

I agree it's a bummer that Neil & Crazy Horse don't appear to be touring in 2020.

You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Neil is great but Stephen Stills doesn’t get enough love.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

Rob, have you seen the music documentary "Echo in the Canyon"?  Some of Stills damage shows in the interviews but hey, who from those days isn't at least a bit damaged?  I though he was great.  Same with Croz and Graham.  So glad those guys are still around! Neil isn't interviewed for the movie but he cranks it out great in a studio on Old Black for credit chapter.  Terrific film!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Homegrown for RSD: confirmed
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:

Rob, have you seen the music documentary "Echo in the Canyon"?  Some of Stills damage shows in the interviews but hey, who from those days isn't at least a bit damaged?  I though he was great.  Same with Croz and Graham.  So glad those guys are still around! Neil isn't interviewed for the movie but he cranks it out great in a studio on Old Black for credit chapter.  Terrific film!

I haven’t seen it. they focused on a few guys I wasn’t to keen on.

I just repurchased the double manassas..........CD! :lol: 

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:

I watched it.  I thought it was pretty good for sure.  For me, I just enjoyed seeing some more of Tom.  I miss him so much.  
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:

I watched it.  I thought it was pretty good for sure.  For me, I just enjoyed seeing some more of Tom.  I miss him so much.  

Oh man, you said it!  I thought that was great as well, seeing new-to-me Petty interviews. He was looking rather worn- must have been in his last days, but really great to see him there.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:

Oh man, you said it!  I thought that was great as well, seeing new-to-me Petty interviews. He was looking rather worn- must have been in his last days, but really great to see him there.
    He was looking tired.  He was a pretty frail guy to start, but he abused his body with nicotine, booze and heroin in the 90s.  And I believe he moved to oxy as his body started to break down in the last ten years.  But my God, there was just something so sweet and pure about his music.  Have you heard the cover song that was just released as a tribute to him by Jakob, the Nelson boys and Willie?  "For Real"?  I think they call it For Real (For Tom) or something like that.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    so if he releases any mirrorball stuff, will it be released commercially,or do you have to become a member of his vault, and if so, is there some deadline like TMR?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so if he releases any mirrorball stuff, will it be released commercially,or do you have to become a member of his vault, and if so, is there some deadline like TMR?
    All of his vinyl/CD releases have been made available commercially, so you don’t need to sign up. However, none of the movies that have been shown in the NYA Hearse Theater are available to buy yet, so if you want to see the film you’d probably need to sign up. 

There’s no deadline to sign up. If you know it’s going to be shown on a Saturday, you can pay your $2 on the Friday and be good to go.

(Tim Rogers)
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    does anyone know the format of the potential mirroball tour stuff? is it audio or film?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:

He was looking tired.  He was a pretty frail guy to start, but he abused his body with nicotine, booze and heroin in the 90s.  And I believe he moved to oxy as his body started to break down in the last ten years.  But my God, there was just something so sweet and pure about his music.  Have you heard the cover song that was just released as a tribute to him by Jakob, the Nelson boys and Willie?  "For Real"?  I think they call it For Real (For Tom) or something like that.  

No, I hadn't but I looked it up- "For Real- For Tom"

Nice!

And what a cool comment someone posted there:  "i think Jakob, Lukas, Dhani, and Shooter Jennings should do a sons of the Wilbury/Highwaymen album. all 4 are musical geniuses."

That could be great.

Post edited by brianlux on

• does anyone know the format of the potential mirroball tour stuff? is it audio or film?
    It has been stated both. "LP and film" I think. Hoping the film will be released in a phsyical format, but my bet it is just streamed.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2020
    Remember giving this to my dad for his birthday when it was released. My brother said a few years ago it was OOP and hard to find when he wanted to buy it. Maybe it was just him not finding it in his local store where he was buying his CDs.

I remember the crayon smell of the booklet. A Neil Young staple.

Gonna listen to it now.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377

Neil Young Reverses 2020 Tour Stance, Planning Crazy Horse Trek

Rocker has yet to announce dates, but says tour will focus on vintage sports arenas

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-young-2020-tour-crazy-horse-956928/?fbclid=IwAR2AU6EHTcoI9Jjnp-_LPCnGvb7VWwaYlUP72-RfGe1ljldSo4u-Ylo1Afg
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    great!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    Hobbes said:

Neil Young Reverses 2020 Tour Stance, Planning Crazy Horse Trek

Rocker has yet to announce dates, but says tour will focus on vintage sports arenas

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-young-2020-tour-crazy-horse-956928/?fbclid=IwAR2AU6EHTcoI9Jjnp-_LPCnGvb7VWwaYlUP72-RfGe1ljldSo4u-Ylo1Afg

Whoo hoo!!!

The Barn Tour may have to wait...

(Tim Rogers)
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    goldrush said:
    The Barn Tour may have to wait...

Cranky old dudes unite!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

Love Bernie!  Love Neil!

going to see Bernie tonight at a rally. Hope to see NY and CH live soon.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Interesting article about the Young Shakespeare film/record that is scheduled to be released this year.

1. Neil thinks it’s even better than Massey Hall (that’s a bold claim!)
    2. There are plans for a 50th Anniversary release of After The Goldrush!

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    interesting
    not to hijack Neil's thread but I hope y'all realize how good stephen stills is...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    goldrush said:
    interesting
    UK RSD list leaked and confirmed Homegrown out on RSD.