Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    goldrush said:
    never saw him solo, but saw him with CSNY, so I guess that's something. 
    It'll be a shame if he doesn't tour again, but there would be a time it would have to stop anyway. I've been lucky to see Neil quite a few times over the years (with the Horse, and with PJ on the Mirrorball tour), but the dream would be a solo acoustic show.
    wow. mirrorball tour would have been my fave. I had the opportunity to see him solo (I don't think acoustic), but the cheapest price was $250, this was about 10 years ago, and I thought that was absurd. But again, I'm not a YUGE fan, just casual. I'd pay that for Ed solo. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,435
    I saw Neil 3 times - 2 were amazing and one was not good.

World News - yeah this is maybe mediocre. One or two passable songs. I like environmental anthems but I get tired of it eventually.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,937
    Boy. Between this and the Zane Lowe interview, Neil's age is starting to show.
  • Options
    He's 77. Hehe,

Seen his as "old" since 2016, when he came out in Berlin and started the first song (After the Goldrush). Sounded old and different. 

Not saying it's anything wrong with that. But that was the first time I though - oh yeah, he has aged.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    Yeah, he's aged.  It happens.  Imagine that.
    But also don't forget- it beats the alternative:
    What Is the 27 Club and Which Musicians Are in It - Spinditty

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,251
    He sounds really sharp and well, to me. Doesn't seem any different than he was 10 years ago or more. I thought he was starting to age quite a bit a couple of years back but he sounds great lately.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Not digging the new one.  For me Barn,colorado and world record could have taken all the best tracks and made one strong album, especially with rick Rubin.  As is each album is ok with a couple great tracks.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Not digging the new one.  For me Barn,colorado and world record could have taken all the best tracks and made one strong album, especially with rick Rubin.  As is each album is ok with a couple great tracks.
    Agree! Like Barn the most out the three. 
  • Options
    Hard me me to say because I've only heard one song from the new one so far, but for me side 2 of Colorado (Olden Day, Help Me Lose My Mind, Green is Blue, Shut It Down) would be hard to beat.  Nils said great things about World Record calling it the best of the three, and Billy likes it a lot, so I'm hopeful.  Will find out soon enough- it's shipped! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,283
    I made a playlist on NYA based on the last 3 albums. I ended up with 4 songs from each album. I think would be a great NYCH record.

It was hard to leave some songs off (Help Me Lose My Mind, Heading West), but if I never hear Rainbow of Colours again I’ll be happy!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    I made a playlist on NYA based on the last 3 albums. I ended up with 4 songs from each album. I think would be a great NYCH record.

It was hard to leave some songs off (Help Me Lose My Mind, Heading West), but if I never hear Rainbow of Colours again I’ll be happy!

Nice list!
    The wonderful thing about Neil Young music is that everybody's play list will be a little different.
    All this reminds me of making mix tapes back in the day.  That was fun!

• Options
    Did anyone buy the After the Goldrush 50 year anniversary thing deluxe box set? What was your reasoning?
  • Options
    Did anyone buy the After the Goldrush 50 year anniversary thing deluxe box set? What was your reasoning?
    No, it’s just not worth the price.
    I still want to get it (although I’m really not sure why)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    Neil vinyl sale on Amazon right now - Barn ($12), Royce Hall ($17), Dorothy Chandler ($15)
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    Agree! Like Barn the most out the three. 
    Colorado is my favorite and the only Vinyl I own or will own out of the three. I agree with Bri Side 2 is amazing.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    No. Because I would only be buying for a 7”. I already have an OP and the NYA reissue. 
  • Options
    Harvest I’ll get, but only at a super discounted price. 
  • Options
    World Record is here! ...
    ... I think.  A record box from Neil Young came in the mail.  What else could it be?!  But I won't know and can't listen to it for another month.  My cruel wife says she is going to wrap whatever it is in some dorky green and red paper and then not give it to me until next month. Why???
    Cruel world!  

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    New Neil interview with Rick Rubin on the Broken Record podcast. Good stuff. Neil also pops in during Rick’s interview with Jack White. 
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    New Neil interview with Rick Rubin on the Broken Record podcast. Good stuff. Neil also pops in during Rick’s interview with Jack White. 
    Nice....looking forward to listening. Perhaps tonite while on a run.
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,251
    edited December 2022
    Liked World Record a lot on first listen. Shows a softer and more diverse side of Crazy Horse, I guess Nils has brought a different dimension to the group. Although I still miss Poncho.
    Colorado is a great NYCH album. As people have said, the second half is fantastic.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    Good? I’m going on Sunday. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 174
    ComeToTX said:
    It was fun to see on the big screen. It was very raw just casual behind the scenes footage. Little disappointed there wasn't anything captured from the live recording of the needle and the damage done, which I think is one of the key tracks on the album. 
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 400
    I saw it last night  and enjoyed it. I was waiting for footage of Needle too and was surprised it wasn't there. I wonder if it was an editorial decision or if they didn't have the raw footage. Really liked the scenes of Neil singing with various combos of C, S, and N.
  • Options
    The live record is so good. Kinda thinking of paying up for this. Will definitely watch the film too
  • Options
    The reason Needle wasn’t included is probably just because it’s a live recording, and it wasn’t recorded during the Harvest sessions. It would have been cool if they’d tried a version with the Stray Gators though.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    edited December 2022
    ComeToTX said:
    It's like The Beatles Get Back sort of. But less about slowly shaping the songs and more them playing the songs and chilling when not playing. It also looks a lot better than Get Back by it not being scrubbed and destroyed to look "modern". So no one here looks like porcelain dolls with greasy hair, like in Get Back. 

But at the same time, it didn't look as good as one has been used to film being able to look when scanned proper. Maybe it was a budget thing. Or it was scanned on inferior technology a long time ago. 

When was this edited? Is this a film that had been edited and just been waiting in the archives, or did they have it shot but nothing complete edit wise and Neil edited it together for this release?

I enjoyed it a lot. Always weird to get to see footage/behind the scenes stuff from things like Harvest, which is so iconic and magic of an album. Cool theatre experience!

It felt like they made film from what they had - with there being such focus on a few songs etc being played and played again. I doubt much (exciting) was cut to shape this film, felt more like they used what they had. Just my feeling. Cool seeing young Neil, and the Stray Gators. And CSN! 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on