Greta Thunberg

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    The alt-right exist on this forum? Yuck.
    Yes they do
    And is it just me or do the 2 anti-Greta people seem very much alike in what they post?
    Coincidence??
    and they always ride single file to disguise their numbers.

did i do it right? lol
    Very well done! Lol

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yes they do
    And is it just me or do the 2 anti-Greta people seem very much alike in what they post?
    Coincidence??
    It’s funny that the two anti Greta posters are reacting like this because of a 16yr old getting her time in limelight! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??
    It’s funny that the two anti Greta posters are reacting like this because of a 16yr old getting her time in limelight! 
    Again with the age. It either matters or it doesn’t. I’m not listening to a regular 16 year old on this shit. So don’t try and tel me to listen to her and then use her she as some sort of reason to treat her with “kids gloves”, etc.

So tired of this.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    A 16 year old causing so many climate deniers to melt like snowflakes. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??
    Again with the age. It either matters or it doesn’t. I’m not listening to a regular 16 year old on this shit. So don’t try and tel me to listen to her and then use her she as some sort of reason to treat her with “kids gloves”, etc.

So tired of this.

Ok I’m surprised at the reaction from these two anti Greta posters , the ones acting like kids are the haters , you gave to put in perspective that she’s a young adult being chided by adults ...ok there I didn’t use her age 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    A 16 year old causing so many climate deniers to melt like snowflakes. 

LOL

I wish their doubts would melt.  The scientific evidence  is overwhelming.  It seems nearly impossible to me that anyone would deny not only that global warming is real, but that the current rapid rate of climate change is anthopogenically caused by human activity involving the release of vast amount of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. How did people become so obtuse about basic science?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited December 2019
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??

So tired of this.

Greta is no regular 16 year old!  

But you're right about global warming being shit!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??

So tired of this.

i don't think that's what he meant. i think he meant that greta is no regular 16 year old, so people defending her should stop playing that card. i mean, i agree with him.  you can't on one hand tell us to respect and listen to this person (which i do) but then claim she is immune from criticism. that's having your cake and eating it too. 

i don't condone the shit being said about her. but the defense should not be "she's a child! leave her alone!". it should be "stop being such an asshole!" like it is for every other person in the public eye. 

to me the barron trump thing was blown way out of proportion (no one ever criticized him, just used him as a play on words criticizing idiot), but people comparing the two situations is ridiculous. if barron put himself out there like, say, donald's sons, fine, criticize away. greta is looking to be treated as an adult. it's funny to me, i haven't seen one thing from her saying "leave me alone, i'm just a child". it's all the leftie commentators. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??

So tired of this.

i don't think that's what he meant. i think he meant that greta is no regular 16 year old, so people defending her should stop playing that card. i mean, i agree with him.  you can't on one hand tell us to respect and listen to this person (which i do) but then claim she is immune from criticism. that's having your cake and eating it too. 

i don't condone the shit being said about her. but the defense should not be "she's a child! leave her alone!". it should be "stop being such an asshole!" like it is for every other person in the public eye. 

to me the barron trump thing was blown way out of proportion (no one ever criticized him, just used him as a play on words criticizing idiot), but people comparing the two situations is ridiculous. if barron put himself out there like, say, donald's sons, fine, criticize away. greta is looking to be treated as an adult. it's funny to me, i haven't seen one thing from her saying "leave me alone, i'm just a child". it's all the leftie commentators. 

Yeah, I see what you're saying, I do  It's true, everyone has their faults.  I guess I tend to give a lot more slack to any young person looking at their future, a future in which everyone has been telling them (and surely often rightly so) that they are heading into maelstrom that has never been navigated before.  They see the way the world is moving and they don't know if it will be a long grind into the dirt, an undulation of ever worsening difficulties interspersed with occasional respites, or something godawful and catastrophic.  Completely right or wrong, what they generally see is a life of ever-greatening difficulties, difficulties greater than what the last few or more previous generations have had deal with.  And I feel like hell for them because even at my lowest (which was pretty low), that low was an individual trial, not a generational one.  

And it shouldn't be just about exemplar messenger.  Greta Thunberg represents the concerns, anxiety even, of a whole group of younger people and young adults.  During the 1950's, when I was a kid and we were drilled regularly to duck under our desks in preparation for nuclear annihilation due to nuclear war,  if a kid in his mid teens had stood up for us and said, "You people need to get your shit together and do something about this impending catastrophe that you created!", we would have had a similar hero.  Heroes are fallible, but without them, we are that much more alone.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2019
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??

So tired of this.

you twisting yourself up with this lack of logic to reeeeach for something to dismiss just because, just comes off as rather pointless.  
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2019
    brianlux said:
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??

So tired of this.

people going after Greta isnt about ”criticism” though. 

People downplaying it, saying it's just about "criticism" comes off as this guy from Jason X:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??

So tired of this.

I agree. That’s my point. Listen to her. But don’t claim the “young girl” defense when actual criticism/discussion occurs. Now for the just mean nastiness I don’t think her age matters either as no one deserves that.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??

So tired of this.

you twisting yourself up with this lack of logic to reeeeach for something to dismiss just because, just comes off as rather pointless.  
    I wish you didn’t edit cause I have no idea what the hell you are saying.

hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??

So tired of this.

Yes, this. I think it diminishes her voice anytime you go the “young girl” route. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Right so go with this voice.
    Much better option.
    https://youtu.be/epwUTVUwB7A
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    RYME said:
    Much better option.
    Ha, I hope that psycho is not allowed around children...
    edited December 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.
     I think the way they are exploiting Greta Thunberg's youth does not help the cause much.
    I think AOC does a much better job getting the message out particularly when she's Fielding questions and concerns as she does in the above video.  I think Greta makes it look like the climate change activist are desperate for a spokes person.  I don't think  Greta is prepared to answer a person like the Above video
    Post edited by RYME on
    brianlux said:
    Yes they do
    Coincidence??

So tired of this.

people going after Greta isnt about ”criticism” though. 

People downplaying it, saying it's just about "criticism" comes off as this guy from Jason X:

there are different takes on this. some climate change deniers are criticizing her based on her beliefs, but using her age as a weapon to discredit her. 

some are being just assholes, talking about her appearance, her age, her Asperger's, saying she's a pawn of Soros, etc. but you get that across the board. they did the same thing with AOC. "just a waitress from Brooklyn", when she has proven herself as one of the smartest and most articulate and well-researched people in congress. 

people on the left who believe her message and honestly believe in what she is saying are doing her and the message a disservice by taking the bait and defending her based on her age and her Asperger's. she herself is probably pissed at all the people saying "she's just a 16 year old girl with a disability! leave her alone!". How can you be taken seriously if that's the defense?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.
     I think the way they are exploiting Greta Thunberg's youth does not help the cause much.
    I think AOC does a much better job getting the message out particularly when she's Fielding questions and concerns as she does in the above video.  I think Greta makes it look like the climate change activist are desperate for a spokes person.  I don't think  Greta is prepared to answer a person like the Above video
    I will give props to AOC maintaining her composure in that situation, I don’t think I could have, lol
    edited December 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.
    I will give props to AOC maintaining her composure in that situation, I don’t think I could have, lol
    And I don't have anything against Greta Thunberg, on the flip side, it appears to some that the climate change movement is using her age and disability as a weapon to promote it's side of the debate.  Nothing against Greta but I think AOC is a better bet, if you're trying to win people over.
    Post edited by RYME on
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.
    And I don't have anything against Greta Thunberg, but it appears to some that the climate change movement is using her age and disability as a weapon to promote it's side of the debate.  Nothing against Greta but I think AOC is a better bet, if you're trying to win people over.
    how is her disability a weapon?

in the case of her age, it absolutely makes sense, as we need more people of the generation that is actually going to be affected to speak up. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.
    And I don't have anything against Greta Thunberg, but it appears to some that the climate change movement is using her age and disability as a weapon to promote it's side of the debate.  Nothing against Greta but I think AOC is a better bet, if you're trying to win people over.
    how is her disability a weapon?

in the case of her age, it absolutely makes sense, as we need more people of the generation that is actually going to be affected to speak up. 
    Not on its own.  The combination.  
    edited December 2019
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.
    I’m not sure AOC is the clear winner.  I guess it would depend on who you are trying to “win over”.  Greta is a mascot for the youth and AOC is a mascot for the Democrats.  Overall, if people are not in either of those camps, I’m not sure they put much weight into what either of them say.
    Truthfully, I’m not sure either of them are winning anyone outside of those categories over with climate change being such a politicized topic.  How do you un-politicize something that has already been politicized, though?  I think everyone, regarded of political affiliation should support a healthier, less polluted earth, but should also be setting realistic goals to accomplish that.  The scientists, Agricultural engineers, and teachers should be leading the fight, not politicians and children.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.
    And I don't have anything against Greta Thunberg, on the flip side, it appears to some that the climate change movement is using her age and disability as a weapon to promote it's side of the debate.  Nothing against Greta but I think AOC is a better bet, if you're trying to win people over.

RYME, climate change is not a movement and there are no "sides".  It is reality. There should be no need for debate at this point in time, only combined and unified action.

edited December 2019
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.

RYME, climate change is not a movement and there are no "sides".  It is reality. There should be no need for debate at this point in time, only combined and unified action.
    Proposed remedies are definitely in dispute.

Post edited by RYME on
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.

Which ones?

brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.

Which ones?
    Do we need to eat babies? 
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.

Which ones?

Of course we do.

a)  Doing so helps reduce population = fewer cars, less consumption, etc.
    b) Babies are a delicacy

I don't know what is so controversial about all that.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Much better option.

Which ones?

Of course we do.

a)  Doing so helps reduce population = fewer cars, less consumption, etc.
    b) Babies are a delicacy

I don't know what is so controversial about all that.
    How do you like your babies Brian?
    Over easy?
    Scrambled?
    Poached?
    Hard boiled?
    Soft Boiled?
    medium rare
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD