Greta Thunberg

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2019
    dignin said:
    I can see why this brave young lady is adored by so many on here....
    Another reason to like her, i'm also anti-fascist. 

Are you pro-fascist?

Also, that shitty meme is inaccurate. You should research things before posting them.

What part of this shitty picture is inaccurate?  Our little darling support’s ANTIFA by wearing a t-shirt for all to see.  Please enlighten me how this is inaccurate.  
    Could you please direct me to the connection between ANTIFA and that t-shirt (which is her moms)?

I guess you are more up to date on famed swedish Opera-singer Malena Ernman then me, but I have never seen or heard anything about her being part of or supporting ANTIFA?

According to herself, she does not support them or anything like them at all. Having to make this clear after idiots started creating pictures like the one you so happily shared:

Please enlighten me how this is inaccurate.  

Or are you just one of those spending your sundays finding idiotic alt-right pictures on reddits, facebook groups or whatever commentary sections you might read? If so, I would regret even responding.

And why are you using the condescending "our little darling" like you're roleplaying Tucker Carlson?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I can see why this brave young lady is adored by so many on here....
    Showing yourself to be pro-faciscm is not a good look. Would keep quiet about that if I were you.
    Why would you say I am a for Fascism?? I’ll tell you what I am against thou....A group who is committed to shutting down anyone they disagree with by any means necessary including intimidation, Destruction of property, and Violence.  Boy, one might say they are a Terrorist organization, but we all know that label can’t be used....
  • The way she was treated by our provincial government when she visited Calgary was abhorrent.  It was similar on social media although I avoid most of that drivel anyways. 
    It will soon be their world.  I support change. I am a Health & Safety Advisor by profession and within that career choice I am a self-proclaimed “change agent”.  Any change requires leadership, however the most important person is the first follower... because only at that point can you begin a movement. 

Remember folks, we were all young once and had beliefs that were not shared by the majority of the previous generation. I remember the adults who would listen to our views and engage in intelligent conversations were the ones I respected the most. Listen and communicate with youth... ask them questions and most of all, give them some hope for a brighter future. 
    Hahahaha, so you’ve seen that first follower video huh? Man I say that same stuff all the time. So obviously, nice post :)
    Absolutely! That is the best video in the world to demonstrate the real human condition. At first, no one wants to join the “fool” going against the grain,  but one brave soul joins the party and others perception changes quickly.  All of a sudden, people don’t want to be “left out” and the movement begins.  This can happen rapidly as demonstrated in the video. Ultimately, the bravest individual is often the first follower... as they make the others look at the leader differently. 
    To me it changes the perception of the old statement “are you a leader or a follower?”  Never underestimate the power of the follower :) 

edited December 2019
    Showing yourself to be pro-faciscm is not a good look. Would keep quiet about that if I were you.
    Why would you say I am a for Fascism?? I’ll tell you what I am against thou....A group who is committed to shutting down anyone they disagree with by any means necessary including intimidation, Destruction of property, and Violence.  Boy, one might say they are a Terrorist organization, but we all know that label can’t be used....
    You evidently seem to be against people showing they are antifascist and taking a stand against fascism? The conclusion is you being pro-fasict. Seems a bit icky to be that in 2019 with such easy access to our history and to see all that  fascism has caused --  A group who is committed to shutting down anyone they disagree with by any means necessary including intimidation, Destruction of property, and Violence.  Boy, one might say they are a Terrorist organization,

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    She and her mother have both explicitly said that they wore the shirt for the anti-fascist message, not the association with ANTIFA, and stopped doing so when they heard that folks such as yourself were misconstruing the intent. Greta in particular clearly stated she condemns all who look to violence to make change. You chose to ignore that, and continued to parrot the disingenuous assholes who started this smear campaign. Congratulations, lindamarie, you have successfully been weaponized. Your role is as a megaphone or amplifier for the stupid and the deceptive (who are sometimes, by design, hard to tell apart).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • benjs said:
    She and her mother have both explicitly said that they wore the shirt for the anti-fascist message, not the association with ANTIFA, and stopped doing so when they heard that folks such as yourself were misconstruing the intent. Greta in particular clearly stated she condemns all who look to violence to make change. You chose to ignore that, and continued to parrot the disingenuous assholes who started this smear campaign. Congratulations, lindamarie, you have successfully been weaponized. Your role is as a megaphone or amplifier for the stupid and the deceptive (who are sometimes, by design, hard to tell apart).
    Well isn’t that convenient for Greta and her all accepting family....and thanks for the personal shot a me and others who you do not agree with.....Hmmm, now that sure sounds familiar .... Have a blessed day 
  • benjs said:
    Well isn’t that convenient for Greta and her all accepting family....and thanks for the personal shot a me and others who you do not agree with.....Hmmm, now that sure sounds familiar .... Have a blessed day 
    Why aren't you answering my post?

dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

Also, that shitty meme is inaccurate. You should research things before posting them.

What part of this shitty picture is inaccurate?  Our little darling support’s ANTIFA by wearing a t-shirt for all to see.  Please enlighten me how this is inaccurate.  
    Could you please direct me to the connection between ANTIFA and that t-shirt (which is her moms)?

I guess you are more up to date on famed swedish Opera-singer Malena Ernman then me, but I have never seen or heard anything about her being part of or supporting ANTIFA?

According to herself, she does not support them or anything like them at all. Having to make this clear after idiots started creating pictures like the one you so happily shared:

Or are you just one of those spending your sundays finding idiotic alt-right pictures on reddits, facebook groups or whatever commentary sections you might read? If so, I would regret even responding.

And why are you using the condescending "our little darling" like you're roleplaying Tucker Carlson?

edited December 2019
    benjs said:
    What is the personal shot in the post? What is not correct about what @benjs post?

And a question from me -- where did you stumble upon the image (that you now run away from with the classic "and youpeople can't just accept we disagree!" and therefore asking people to accept and look past you posting bullshit and you not taking responsibility for being one of the people going around the internet posting bullshit.)
  • benjs said:

dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

So you are are saying that she did not wear said T-shirt and it’s all Fake News??  Boy, this place is entertaining..

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

It's been explained to you clearly by a number of people so, clearly, your objective here is to bate.  Good luck with that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited December 2019
    benjs said:

dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

So you are are saying that she did not wear said T-shirt and it’s all Fake News??  Boy, this place is entertaining..

Are you playing ignorant or something? Please point out where I stated she did not wear the t-shirt?

And please answer my questions in the post you quoted. 

Or if you are just here to troll and spreading bullshit you can't even defend without dancing around the subject - then you should get banned.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited December 2019
    It would be best to ignore the troll everyone. Please refer to the OP’s comments. Let’s not let one person drag the conversation in the mud :).
    While they have a right to post their opinion, we have a right to it ignore it. Especially clearly doctored photos. 
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited December 2019
    Good point
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
    It would be best to ignore the troll everyone. Please refer to the OP’s comments. Let’s not let one person drag the conversation in the mud :).
    While they have a right to post their opinion, we have a right to it ignore it. Especially clearly doctored photos. 

Thank you, 1Thought.  100% agreement!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

benjs said:

dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

Spiritual Chaos comments are generally comedy gold haha
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Wierd how a 16 yr old Swedish girl who wants to effect positive change in the world brings out trolls on a liberal band's fansite. 
    Wierd how a 16 yr old Swedish girl who wants to effect positive change in the world brings out trolls on a liberal band's fansite. 
    Keep telling yourself that dude
    A comment on this subject from another site that I thought was perfectly stated:

"What is it about this girl that has grown men shivering in fear? I'll have what she's having."

As long as Hedonist stop using sexual connotations to attack people on this subject 
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    i_lov_it said:
    As long as Hedonist stop using sexual connotations to attack people on this subject 
    Can't you please just stop with these comments? I honestly ask you for what it is good for. 

It's just so
    unnecessary to start over and over again and it only creates a negative mood. Surely that is not your intention, right !?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    A comment on this subject from another site that I thought was perfectly stated:

"What is it about this girl that has grown men shivering in fear? I'll have what she's having."

They might be "grown men" but they live a life fueled by fear, hate, ignorance, jealousy, and lies.
    brianlux said:

They might be "grown men" but they live a life fueled by fear, hate, ignorance, jealousy, and lies.

Exactly, Bp.  And an unwillingness to make changes in their lives.  They don't want to hear that having large families is pushing overpopulation, or that it is better to use delayed gratification to save up longer for more durable goods, or to not use fossil fuel powered vehicles as "entertainment" or "sport", or to curb their consumerism, or eat less meat, etc.  They care more about their selfish desires than they do about leaving a healthy planet for today's youth and future generations. So I would add "selfishness" to the list.

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly, Bp.  And an unwillingness to make changes in their lives.  They don't want to hear that having large families is pushing overpopulation, or that it is better to use delayed gratification to save up longer for more durable goods, or to not use fossil fuel powered vehicles as "entertainment" or "sport", or to curb their consumerism, or eat less meat, etc.  They care more about their selfish desires than they do about leaving a healthy planet for today's youth and future generations. So I would add "selfishness" to the list.
     Bingo.  My wife and I have made profound changes in our lives to have less of an impact on the world.  Do we have a long way to go? Absolutely...  but we are not resisting change, we are going embracing it.  Failure is our greatest opportunity.  We have failed Mother Earth, but we can improve all while maintaining our current standard of living. 
    edited December 2019
    The Uber- right is pretty sensitive these days.  But Greta showed her maturity by apologizing and explaining the misunderstanding.  
  • benjs said:

dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

So why did she apologize for wearing said shirt and take it down off Twitter once she found out what its connected too?  Or was that fake news too?? Apparently I need to come on here more often to get the Truth on everything.  Since you asked, I usually spend my Sundays in the woods hunting and Fishing w/ my man, not getting my panties in a bunch on the internet......Nothin like Fresh air

edited December 2019
    i_lov_it said:

Spiritual Chaos comments are generally comedy gold haha
    My comments are comedy gold? I'm not the one in here saying that being against fascism is wrong. Or, as in your case, buddying up to said person.
    edited December 2019
    benjs said:

dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

So why did she apologize for wearing said shirt and take it down off Twitter once she found out what its connected too?  Or was that fake news too?? Apparently I need to come on here more often to get the Truth on everything.  Since you asked, I usually spend my Sundays in the woods hunting and Fishing w/ my man, not getting my panties in a bunch on the internet......Nothin like Fresh air

If you are too ignorant when posting your bullshit pictures to do a quick google search on why Greta did what she did, then @benjs was actually nice enough to answer your question in his post. A post that you quoted and responded to. So one would imagine that you read what he wrote. Would that be too much to believe of someone who enjoys hunting and fishing with their man and pushing alt-right smear campaigns?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    The way she was treated by our provincial government when she visited Calgary was abhorrent.  It was similar on social media although I avoid most of that drivel anyways. 
    It will soon be their world.  I support change. I am a Health & Safety Advisor by profession and within that career choice I am a self-proclaimed “change agent”.  Any change requires leadership, however the most important person is the first follower... because only at that point can you begin a movement. 

Remember folks, we were all young once and had beliefs that were not shared by the majority of the previous generation. I remember the adults who would listen to our views and engage in intelligent conversations were the ones I respected the most. Listen and communicate with youth... ask them questions and most of all, give them some hope for a brighter future. 
    Hahahaha, so you’ve seen that first follower video huh? Man I say that same stuff all the time. So obviously, nice post :)
    Absolutely! That is the best video in the world to demonstrate the real human condition. At first, no one wants to join the “fool” going against the grain,  but one brave soul joins the party and others perception changes quickly.  All of a sudden, people don’t want to be “left out” and the movement begins.  This can happen rapidly as demonstrated in the video. Ultimately, the bravest individual is often the first follower... as they make the others look at the leader differently. 
    To me it changes the perception of the old statement “are you a leader or a follower?”  Never underestimate the power of the follower :) 

Agree. It’s powerful once you realize to. Before then, mostly think of the leader. But it’s the first follower that makes what the leader is saying/doing ok. Legitimizes the leader. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    she certainly does trigger a lot of "adult" men and women. The amount of disgusting comments I've read on Facebook about her Times magazine feature is pretty low. To think adults would bully a child like that by saying horrible things.
    I’m getting tired of hearing about her being a child on one end but we should listen to the child on the other end.

people need to decide. Either she’s old enough and mature enough to be a worldwide political figure and all that comes with that, or she’s a child.

i agree 100%. i love that she's in the spotlight, highlighting an incredibly urgent and important issue. but when you put yourself out there and expect to be taken seriously, unfortunately you are no longer protected like a normal private citizen should expect. i don't condone bullying on anyone, but criticism is fair, no matter the age. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2019
    benjs said:

dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

I live in an area of the world where most people think like you do.  They oppose change because they are afraid of it.  It may take away their livelihoods, an industry they built their life around.  I was one of them. 
    I saw the writing on the wall in 2012 and left oil and gas forever. I work in utilities now. I am happier, healthier and more proud of what I do than at any other point of my life. 
    You are entitled to your opinion, but nothing you are saying discredits anything Greta is standing for. If you believe Greta and her family are wrong and horrible people, please provide the evidence. I would love to read it. 

If they simply wore some shirts from a foreign country without recognizing the implications of it and apologizing, well that is hardly anything to worry about. 

And most of all... she’s a teenager. I mean... be an adult about this. :) 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on