Greta Thunberg

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
For many of us, Greta Thunberg is a modern day hero.  Can we please have a civil thread about this amazing young woman?  Thank you!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Certainly a focused and determined young lady. Has really become the face of climate change. A fitting choice for 2019.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    she certainly does trigger a lot of "adult" men and women. The amount of disgusting comments I've read on Facebook about her Times magazine feature is pretty low. To think adults would bully a child like that by saying horrible things.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    she certainly does trigger a lot of "adult" men and women. The amount of disgusting comments I've read on Facebook about her Times magazine feature is pretty low. To think adults would bully a child like that by saying horrible things.
    I'm guessing a lot of those slighting comments are made by people following the lead from Agent Orange.

And, yes, among other reasons, that's another reason I only dash in and out of FB these days.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I’m getting tired of hearing about her being a child on one end but we should listen to the child on the other end.

people need to decide. Either she’s old enough and mature enough to be a worldwide political figure and all that comes with that, or she’s a child.

hippiemom = goodness
    To think boomers, men and women, would make fun of how a teenager looks. Disgusting. I wish I still had my old account so I could reply to these idiots. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I’m getting tired of hearing about her being a child on one end but we should listen to the child on the other end.

people need to decide. Either she’s old enough and mature enough to be a worldwide political figure and all that comes with that, or she’s a child.

Interesting point, Cincy.  Thunberg has come into the public attention at a time where she has gone from being a girl to being a young woman.  Considering her age today and her level of smarts, I would say "young woman" is totally appropriate.  If I haven't already, I'll refer to her as a young woman (I think I already have). 

I think she will continue to mature, possibly become and influential female leader.  It seems to be a very Scandinavian thing to be female, intelligent, and have leadership qualities.  (America:  Listen up.  You're falling behind.)

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

Why do you care ? Shouldn’t it be all about personal perception of her how do you see her ? To me she’s a young woman who has a vision and plenty of guts to go with it! I don’t give a fuck about how anyone else sees her and yes fuck Facebook too ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    To think boomers, men and women, would make fun of how a teenager looks. Disgusting. I wish I still had my old account so I could reply to these idiots. 
    If it’s mean spirited and doesn’t have anything to with the topic, making fun of anyone’s appearance is kinda shallow. Somehow a lot of us still do it. 

Commenting on how someone looks to try and discredit an opinion is stupid and just a deflection.
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:

Interesting point, Cincy.  Thunberg has come into the public attention at a time where she has gone from being a girl to being a young woman.  Considering her age today and her level of smarts, I would say "young woman" is totally appropriate.  If I haven't already, I'll refer to her as a young woman (I think I already have). 

I think she will continue to mature, possibly become and influential female leader.  It seems to be a very Scandinavian thing to be female, intelligent, and have leadership qualities.  (America:  Listen up.  You're falling behind.)

I think she is a young lady that is bringing a lot to the table. Some criticisms will come with that. Some will be just stupid and mean and others will be fair. But she will get them all because of the position she has put herself in. She is no child and I do not feel going the “oh don’t be mean to a child” route is the proper way to go. Just me and my opinion.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited December 2019
    It's okay to disagree with her but to make fun of her appearance and liken her to Hitler is fucked.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2019

Those two things are not standing against each other.

She is a child/teenager. And she is a child/teenager that is more informed than most and have had the world listen to her. She shouldn't have to take being bullied by e.g. your president just because she got a platform.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:

I think she is a young lady that is bringing a lot to the table. Some criticisms will come with that. Some will be just stupid and mean and others will be fair. But she will get them all because of the position she has put herself in. She is no child and I do not feel going the “oh don’t be mean to a child” route is the proper way to go. Just me and my opinion.

From what I've seen, she rolls with the punches one hell of a lot better than many older adults would.  I see no self-pity in her response to the criticism and lashing out from climate deniers and internet bullies.  She's tough as nails.  This young woman has great fortitude.  I see no reason to feel sorry for her.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

From what I've seen, she rolls with the punches one hell of a lot better than many older adults would.  I see no self-pity in her response to the criticism and lashing out from climate deniers and internet bullies.  She's tough as nails.  This young woman has great fortitude.  I see no reason to feel sorry for her.
    I agree with this. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • I can see why this brave young lady is adored by so many on here....
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I can see why this brave young lady is adored by so many on here....
    Another reason to like her, i'm also anti-fascist. 

Are you pro-fascist?

Also, that shitty meme is inaccurate. You should research things before posting them.

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited December 2019
    The way she was treated by our provincial government when she visited Calgary was abhorrent.  It was similar on social media although I avoid most of that drivel anyways. 
    It will soon be their world.  I support change. I am a Health & Safety Advisor by profession and within that career choice I am a self-proclaimed “change agent”.  Any change requires leadership, however the most important person is the first follower... because only at that point can you begin a movement. 

Remember folks, we were all young once and had beliefs that were not shared by the majority of the previous generation. I remember the adults who would listen to our views and engage in intelligent conversations were the ones I respected the most. Listen and communicate with youth... ask them questions and most of all, give them some hope for a brighter future. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

Also, that shitty meme is inaccurate. You should research things before posting them.

Yeah, the thing is, right away people are going to say, "Oh so she is part of Antifa." 

Well, like you dignin, I'm anti fascist (who the hell isn't?) but I'm not a member of Antifa. 

The way she was treated by our provincial government when she visited Calgary was abhorrent.  It was similar on social media although I avoid most of that drivel anyways. 
    It will soon be their world.  I support change. I am a Health & Safety Advisor by profession and within that career choice I am a self-proclaimed “change agent”.  Any change requires leadership, however the most important person is the first follower... because only at that point can you begin a movement. 

Remember folks, we were all young once and had beliefs that were not shared by the majority of the previous generation. I remember the adults who would listen to our views and engage in intelligent conversations were the ones I respected the most. Listen and communicate with youth... ask them questions and most of all, give them some hope for a brighter future. 
    Exactly!  And many of those beliefs (civil rights, for example) helped make the world a better place.  I'm really starting to get the feeling that people who troll Thunberg and other peaceful activists have some kind of weird desire to see the world remain fucked up and become more so.  So many people are inculcated with the whole "apocalypse" thing that their words and actions contribute to that possibility.

As Lao Tzu said:

“Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”

Are you a fascist?
    I've been reading some other forums elsewhere on the topic of Greta Thunberg and it really blows me away how many people express what to my ears sounds like sheer hatred for her having the gall to want to make the world a better, safer place.  It's like their saying, "Shut up, kid, and leave us alone!  We were having fun (and as a direct result, fucking up the planet) until you came along!"  And I notice a lot of the times these voices of hatred are coming from people who are older, set in their ways, not wanting to have to make any changes, not wanting their party interrupted.  That's just so weird to me.  Weren't we all going, "Give peace a chance", "Save the Redwoods", "Save the whales" and such not all that many years ago?   Yes, we were.

I was shocked to see elderly women being  nasty towards her on Facebook.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    It's sad that a group of violent activists took a term which should be inherently positive (antifascist) and flipped its purpose 180 degrees. It's even sadder that POTUS and his cabal then exploited this situation further until people couldn't declare their opposition to fascism without being declared a disingenuous and violent protester. The saddest part of all, though, is that this kind of nonsense is working. It once again only serves to reiterate the disastrous state of critical thought (or lack thereof) - a global epidemic exacerbated by a diminished attention span, an incessant need to be right, blind faith in those similar to us (that encourages us to let our guards down and accept words shared), and the vilification of those dissimilar to us (that discourages us from even bearing witness to words shared from opposition sources).

We have allowed ourselves and each other to become void of the ability to think critically. It's shameful. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited December 2019
    Well said. That is so true.
    The world is going to hell.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

Trollers be trollin' in honor of the troll-in-chief 

• The world is changing anyways. Big business and big oil should be more frightened of Elon Musk and Tesla than Greta.   Tesla is on their way to becoming the biggest company in the world. In 10 years Amazon will be a corner store comparatively. And it will all be done to make the world a better place.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aCzJt7oEHa4

Hahahaha, so you’ve seen that first follower video huh? Man I say that same stuff all the time. So obviously, nice post :)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2019
    Showing yourself to be pro-faciscm is not a good look. Would keep quiet about that if I were you.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dignin said:

Are you pro-fascist?

What part of this shitty picture is inaccurate?  Our little darling support’s ANTIFA by wearing a t-shirt for all to see.  Please enlighten me how this is inaccurate.