Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Andrew Sheer steps down as Conservative Leader after he was found out to be using party money to pay for his kids' private school tuition. 

BWAHAHAHA. 

the irony of all the "liberals are corrupt" crowd is DELICIOUS
    I’m disappointed to read that this is the case, and I support the party asking (even demanding) his resignation, because this is entirely a party matter (which doesn’t make it justified). His hand wasn’t dipping into government coffers. Better to get a new leader in place for the early election we know is coming in a couple years.

It would be nice if some media (CP24, CBC) stopped framing this as partly a result of Scheer’s personal views on some issues (LGBT, abortion) despite his numerous statements during the campaign that a Conservative government wouldn’t change the status quo (it’s starting to feel like groupthink is being pushed on us).

And I don’t think (and hope) I’ve never said only the Liberals are corrupt, lol. It’s unacceptable on any side of the aisle.
    no, it wasn't in government coffers, but it's still fraud or theft (depends on how he did it/covered it up). 

no, I have never seen you make that accusation. 
    I completely agree that it was wrong (not sure if it rises to the level of criminal charges, devil’s in the details, lol), for now it’s not worth getting relativistic about how wrong, compared to others.

Definitely wearing some egg on my face today though, lol.

As I was typing CP24 mentioned the tuition issue (did they read this thread, lol?).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    It's starting to sound like the private school assertion is part of a mutiny within the party (which just puts more egg on my face, lol).  I suppose you could crap on him for putting his kids in private school, but that's a personal choice (which has been the main point he was attacked on during the campaign).  Not a fan of groupthink, which is one of the things that attracts me to the Conservatives.  Here's an excerpt from CBC's article:

'Scheer's office confirmed to CBC News that the Conservative Party was paying the difference between the cost of private school tuition for Scheer's kids in Saskatchewan and the higher cost of tuition in Ottawa, along with some other expenses. That cost was described as "minimal" but amounted to thousands of dollars.

His office insisted the tuition matter was not the reason for Scheer's resignation.

"Shortly after Mr. Scheer was elected leader, we had a meeting where I made a standard offer to cover costs associated with moving his family from Regina to Ottawa," Dustin van Vugt, executive director of the Conservative Party, said in a media statement.

"This includes a differential in schooling costs between Regina and Ottawa. All proper procedures were followed and signed off on by the appropriate people."'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-resigns-1.5393803

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    It's starting to sound like the private school assertion is part of a mutiny within the party (which just puts more egg on my face, lol).  I suppose you could crap on him for putting his kids in private school, but that's a personal choice (which has been the main point he was attacked on during the campaign).  Not a fan of groupthink, which is one of the things that attracts me to the Conservatives.  Here's an excerpt from CBC's article:

'Scheer's office confirmed to CBC News that the Conservative Party was paying the difference between the cost of private school tuition for Scheer's kids in Saskatchewan and the higher cost of tuition in Ottawa, along with some other expenses. That cost was described as "minimal" but amounted to thousands of dollars.

His office insisted the tuition matter was not the reason for Scheer's resignation.

"Shortly after Mr. Scheer was elected leader, we had a meeting where I made a standard offer to cover costs associated with moving his family from Regina to Ottawa," Dustin van Vugt, executive director of the Conservative Party, said in a media statement.

"This includes a differential in schooling costs between Regina and Ottawa. All proper procedures were followed and signed off on by the appropriate people."'

well now that we have all the info, honestly, that's a nothingburger. the original thing I read made it sound like he was stealing the money. if he made an arrangement for costs associated with his family as a term of his employment, good for him. we do those agreements all the time where I work, mostly associated with moving costs, mind you, but if the CP knew about it, and it was above board, that amounts to zero. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

well now that we have all the info, honestly, that's a nothingburger. the original thing I read made it sound like he was stealing the money. if he made an arrangement for costs associated with his family as a term of his employment, good for him. we do those agreements all the time where I work, mostly associated with moving costs, mind you, but if the CP knew about it, and it was above board, that amounts to zero. 
    Assuming the statement I quoted is true, the worst part now is the optics, as it reinforces the perception of the "Conservative elites."  I will give Trudeau (and Harper) credit for putting their kids in the public system.  Hopefully now that the Scheer question has been addressed the party can put away the knives and focus on presenting a united front with a platform that won't get derailed by a focus on the leader's personal views.

Assuming the statement I quoted is true, the worst part now is the optics, as it reinforces the perception of the "Conservative elites."  I will give Trudeau (and Harper) credit for putting their kids in the public system.  Hopefully now that the Scheer question has been addressed the party can put away the knives and focus on presenting a united front with a platform that won't get derailed by a focus on the leader's personal views.
    I guess I see it both ways; I understand that it's difficult to swallow that a politician talks about fixing the public school system when they aren't even experiencing it, but isn't it better, if they can afford it, to put their kids in private, and easing the burden, even if just one kid, on the public system?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

I guess I see it both ways; I understand that it's difficult to swallow that a politician talks about fixing the public school system when they aren't even experiencing it, but isn't it better, if they can afford it, to put their kids in private, and easing the burden, even if just one kid, on the public system?
    No. The public school system needs involved, invested parents. That’s once of the hugely important things that keeps a school running well. If everyone who can afford it pulls their kids out, the school is left primarily with parents who are more likely to be financially stressed, maybe working low wage jobs with longer hours and without time and money to invest in the school, volunteering to go on field trips, help out with reading support, and all those things that make a fun, welcoming school. 

Plus it just perpetuates inequality and lack of exposure to diversity in both systems. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    And politicians at every level need some skin in the game. They need to know intimately how the school system is functioning and where it could be improved. 

Not that the school that Trudeau’s kids go to is in any danger.... 

No. The public school system needs involved, invested parents. That’s once of the hugely important things that keeps a school running well. If everyone who can afford it pulls their kids out, the school is left primarily with parents who are more likely to be financially stressed, maybe working low wage jobs with longer hours and without time and money to invest in the school, volunteering to go on field trips, help out with reading support, and all those things that make a fun, welcoming school. 

Plus it just perpetuates inequality and lack of exposure to diversity in both systems. 

I wasn't suggesting everyone who could afford it pull their kids. I was just saying that I don't think that a politician putting their kids in private school makes them elitist.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

With no kids of my own I'll admit that I'm not well-informed on the actual differences of public versus private schooling.  Having gone through the public French Immersion program myself, I'd prefer a robust public system that actually provides a strong education that focuses on teaching kids how to think (versus what to think).  I know that may fly in the face of my stated Conservativeness, but I try not to be dogmatic, lol. I take it from your response that if you could (maybe you do) you'd have your kids privately educated?

Here in Ontario the test results haven't been very promising on the basics, so maybe the private system is better at this moment.  We're also embroiled in (yet another) dispute with the teachers unions, who have fought every government of every stripe (Liberal, PC and NDP) in my own recollections, and I've observed (in the media) that the teachers seem to be telling the children the union side (based on comments made by the kids themselves).

So again, I'll plead some degree of ignorance on the topic, and look forward to hearing from more parents for perspective.

I'll also add that my sister is a teacher in Ontario's public school system (elementary level) and I've heard some real horror stories about some of the kids behaviour in class, and our system clearly needs some fixes brought in, though some of it may fall to the parents themselves (not maligning anyone here!).

no, we can't afford it, but also no, if we could, I wouldn't want my kids in private. I've heard so many horror stories about private schools and the bullying and the bullshit, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. mind you, i haven't ever been to private school, so my biases are not based on any first hand knowledge. 

my wife went to private all her life, and she really wishes we could "give" that to our kids too. But she went to a very small private school (no bullying she says), but it was catholic (NO THANKS). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

no, we can't afford it, but also no, if we could, I wouldn't want my kids in private. I've heard so many horror stories about private schools and the bullying and the bullshit, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. mind you, i haven't ever been to private school, so my biases are not based on any first hand knowledge. 

my wife went to private all her life, and she really wishes we could "give" that to our kids too. But she went to a very small private school (no bullying she says), but it was catholic (NO THANKS). 
    That's a very good point about bullying, there's cases for a bunch of teens working their way through the courts over a hockey team hazing incident at a prestigious Toronto private school.  Not saying it never happens at public school but I can't recall any cases going to court, though this case surfaced via social media and then was investigated.  Sadly, there'll be more I expect (unless this wises up the kids to keep the videos off social media, though teens aren't exactly known for good judgment).

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited December 2019
    My niece and nephew go to private the school (the same one Trudeau taught at in fact). It's pretty exclusive, as my bro-in-law is rich. The kids have a way better education than those in public school there. For one, the elementary teachers are all specialized, which is normally only the case in high school. They move between classes for their entire school career. That alone is clearly way better than kids being stuck in one class with one teacher trying to teach them every single subject all day every day. They are getting a far better, more focused lesson in every subject, and a more diverse exposure to other students they learn with.

I am concerned that these kids are separated from "normal" society though. Just about all the kids at this school are super privileged rich kids (there is an exception of a small number of indigenous students who attend on a grant. Free tuition for them... this is almost a whole other subject, as I believe there is real discrimination against those students, coming from both the rich kids and their parents). My niece and nelhewbhave never had any exposure to children who aren't rich kids themselves, except where they are volunteering to help poor people. This is troubling to me. Also, rich people being able to pay for a better education than the rest of us just fuels the fact that the rich keep getting richer while everyone else gets poorer. I don't feel good about that at all.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Apparently Trudeau was in Toronto today to meet relatives of the victims in Iran. I can only assume he’ll be making his way to at least Winnipeg and Edmonton as well as every single community that experienced a loss. His itinerary shows private meetings in Ottawa tomorrow.

Since I always crap on him, I have to give Trudeau credit for handling today’s press conference well, now I want to see follow up from the government. Glad Iran accepted blame, but I’m a long, long way from accepting it was accidental or unintentional.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I think Trudeau is handling the situation just fine.  None of us could handle it any better...he has my support in this difficult time for all us Canadians...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    edited January 2020
    BC lost our Supreme Court appeal today against the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion. Am I correct that the remaining legal oppositions are 4 First Nations? 
    Post edited by Spunkie on

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Canada Is Most Trusted Country

In Canada, elections last autumn revealed a divided country, as Justin Trudeau overcame a photo scandal from his past to remain the country's prime minister. But despite the turbulence at home, the world's view of Canada is positive, perhaps influenced by its foreign policy at a time of record numbers of displaced people around the world. Canada welcomed more refugees in 2018 than any other country, according to the U.N., marking the first time since 1980 that the U.S. did not lead the world in accepting refugees.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-trustworthiness-rating-dives-2020-050100233.html
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited January 2020
    I spoke with a young refugee who described as best as she could the glass flying down from the sky, since she didn't know the word shrapnel. She was very concerned about her Grandma left behind because of there is alot of fire there. I assured her people move away from fires.

Re:TMX appeal
    I suppose Americans down water from us will have direct, immediate heightened risks and impacts from this decision.

I took my daughter to the polls and said:  "Should we vote to protect the water, sea animals and our planet, or is it more important that a few white men get a bit more money for a few years?" She didn't realize an opposition TMX vote would be for a man with darker skin than ours who would never win.

Ah well, f@# it. I'm going skiing. Business as usual.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    Ktunaxa win! NO new SKI resort! Grizzly Spirit and wildlife habitat protected!!!

https://www.nelsonstar.com/news/jumbo-valley-to-be-protected-ending-decades-long-dispute-over-proposed-ski-resort/
    so Trudeau is in winnipeg for a few days. he posts a pic of himself loading up on Oh Doughnuts (local gourmet donut shop here) for today's meetings and the never-Trudeau-ers are losing their shit. 

US: armed militia walking the streets of Virginia, impeachment trial starting of the US president
    Canada: Trudeau bought expensive donuts! resign! 

LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so Trudeau is in winnipeg for a few days. he posts a pic of himself loading up on Oh Doughnuts (local gourmet donut shop here) for today's meetings and the never-Trudeau-ers are losing their shit. 

US: armed militia walking the streets of Virginia, impeachment trial starting of the US president

LOL

I'm assuming they wanted him to get Tim's.

LOL

they did. that was mentioned. But why they'd prefer he buy an inferior product from a successful chain that doesn't need the business or the exposure that has a history of treating its employees like garbage instead of purchasing local is beyond me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

People don’t necessarily think things through ;)

LOL
    I think my views on the man are well-established here, but I had a good laugh at the coverage, especially when all the commentators assumed that the $47 dozen doughnuts were bought (which apparently they weren’t), lol. Then again, we were supposed to be outraged over Bev Oda’s $18 OJ not so long ago, lol. Glad to see the PM supporting local businesses, but did he need to bring the photographer and tweet it? I guess it wouldn’t be Trudeau if he didn’t (and he’s the one to blame for my low expectations on that, lol).

On another subject, I was happy to see the headline today that Trudeau has ruled out a “prisoner swap” with the Huawei princess. Now for some concrete action to get the 2 Michaels home other than asking our allies to ask for us.

Last, totally out of left field, can we please stop with the incessant coverage of Harry and Meghan?!?

Hope this is a believeable source, lol.  Quite troubling reading this, while not tampering with a jury or bribing a judge, it feels like an attempt at subverting our justice system (or at the least how the story is reported which already happened) and we need much more information on this as to the initiator of the "supporters".  Not sure which would be the better outcome, if it came from Huawei or the Chinese state.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/paid-protesters-meng-wanzhou-1.5434613

So the bus I was on was outside the restaurant when this happened.  Thought the gunshots were the bus driving over/into something or kids throwing ice at the bus. Don't know if the bus was hit but the driver saw enough to be a witness  and no one on the bus was hurt. 40 years in Toronto and this is a first for me,  thankfully. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6463256/fatal-scarborough-shooting/

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Yup.  He gave MasterCard 50 million even though MasterCard made 16 billion last year.  He is the dumbest PM Canada has ever had.  He definitely inherited his momma's genes...not his Dads...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    In continuing to give the government credit when it’s due, I’m glad to (finally) read that returnees from China will be quarantined at CFB Trenton. I was getting nervous that they were only talking about “stringent screening measures”, which would only go so far in my opinion.

Now if only local politicians would stop browbeating us over what I’m calling “presumptive racism”, but this does give an opportunity for some strong virtue signalling.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474

LOL

Yes, which isn't even a Canadian company anymore, and has inferior donuts, while the place he went to is a Canadian small business. The silliness grows everyday!
    If this is the worst people can come up with right now, I'm feeling pretty good about things, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata