Kaepernick

1767778798082»

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    mrussel1 said:
    If W/L determine QBs worthy of starting about half of the league (more than that I think) don't deserve a job because they are losers.
    :smirk:
    Well which qb with a career record under .500 would you start a franchise with? Archie Manning? Eli?  How about Testeverde?  No thanks. 

Also, not for nothing, but his career record is 32-32.  He is not under .500.  (And he played on some awful teams.)
    I never called him the franchise QB to start a team with, though.  Those are few and far between.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    So now the needle moved from having a job or being better than some slouches starting in the NFL to being a franchise QB?

This is part of the issue.  People keep saying different things disguised as something other than "I don't want to deal with race issues getting in the way of my other football issues, he isn't worth it despite being better than many qbs on rosters now."  (Which if it is the truth is OK, just say that.)

I already believe you agree with that.  People just keep coming back with other arguments, which I believe are BS.
    1. I do believe at this point the baggage Kap comes with is greater than his football value.  
    2. I was replying specifically to two key sub points
        A - He is better than Goff and Mayfield, who are considered franchise QB's
        B - that w/l is not the judge of a QB.  I believe it is.  I know you're not saying he's HOF, but how many HOF QB's have a losing record?  My      guess is zero, but I'd be interested if there were any that played in the modern era (in other words not rewarded for inventing the forward        pass).  The point is that wins are the mark of a great QB.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Eli is gonna be HoF as a loser, as of last night.
    kaep is not below .500, he is .500
    (And he has some items that belong in the HoF with his record performances, but heck no he is not any way a HoF QB.)

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    mrussel1 said:
    So now the needle moved from having a job or being better than some slouches starting in the NFL to being a franchise QB?

This is part of the issue.  People keep saying different things disguised as something other than "I don't want to deal with race issues getting in the way of my other football issues, he isn't worth it despite being better than many qbs on rosters now."  (Which if it is the truth is OK, just say that.)

I already believe you agree with that.  People just keep coming back with other arguments, which I believe are BS.
    1. I do believe at this point the baggage Kap comes with is greater than his football value.  
        B - that w/l is not the judge of a QB.  I believe it is.  I know you're not saying he's HOF, but how many HOF QB's have a losing record?  My      guess is zero, but I'd be interested if there were any that played in the modern era (in other words not rewarded for inventing the forward        pass).  The point is that wins are the mark of a great QB.  
    I thought a SB win was the gold standard?

Marino being an or the exception....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Eli is gonna be HoF as a loser, as of last night.
    kaep is not below .500, he is .500
    (And he has some items that belong in the HoF with his record performances, but heck no he is not any way a HoF QB.)

I really don't think Eli is HOF.  Dilfer isn't HOF and neither is Flacco.  
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I thought a SB win was the gold standard?

Marino being an or the exception....
    I agree it's the gold standard.  Elway was HOF whether he won those late SB's or not.  Dilfer isn't getting in.  Flacco isn't.  Brad Johnson negative.  Certainly that's the cherry and it hangs on some people negatively, but there are a handful of super bowl era QBs without one (Marino, Fouts, Moon come to mind immediately).  
    Everyone who talked shit about Kaepernick kneeling being so bad....

What do you think now?
    edited June 2020
    (btw, I fully own that when he first knelt I thought it was all about him.
    I was wrong and projecting my anger as a 49ers fan on a brave guy doing something he believes in.)

The idea that he is not good enough for the NFL is garbage.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I was wrong and projecting my anger as a 49ers fan on a brave guy doing something he believes in.)

It takes a good soul to be able to admit when one is wrong.  Unfortunately, I've never had that opportunity. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

It takes a good soul to be able to admit when one is wrong.  Unfortunately, I've never had that opportunity. 
    Hahaha.  Bravo.

I have supported Kaepernick for a while now but I recall in the start that I was just pissed that he was playing like shit and the team was garbage.  

I was wrong to make it about him for the first while, though, as clearly to him it is a much larger battle 
    brianlux said:

Hahaha.  Bravo.

I have supported Kaepernick for a while now but I recall in the start that I was just pissed that he was playing like shit and the team was garbage.  

I was wrong to make it about him for the first while, though, as clearly to him it is a much larger battle 

LOL, truth be told, I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong- even when it is embarrassing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    I honestly could give a shit what those who still believe it’s about the flag have to say.  I wish I had started donating to his causes from the start.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    edited June 2020
    I had no idea he comes from a white background. I liked him cuz he went to Reno which is an AWESOME college town. Good guy . I wonder now if he will have a total comeback now with nothing to do with the NFL?
    Post edited by MissPennyLane on
    What I just learned is the dude earned a 4.0 GPA at the end of both high school (in Turlock, CA) and college (University of Nevada in Reno, Nevada).  Nice!

• MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    edited June 2020
    brianlux said:
    What I just learned is the dude earned a 4.0 GPA at the end of both high school (in Turlock, CA) and college (University of Nevada in Reno, Nevada).  Nice!

Yep. And he was first recruited to play baseball but UNR was only school to give him a football scholarship.
    brianlux said:

Yep. And he was first recruited to play baseball but UNR was only school to give him a football scholarship.

How cool!  I wonder how he would have fared if he had made it into the MLB?

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    CK, when he first started his protest he sat down on the bench during the anthem. He was told by an Army Green Beret that sitting IS disrespectful so he told CK to take a knee instead, he had no issues with taking a knee. That's when CK started to kneel because he didn't want to do what would be considered disrespectful based on what a man in the military advised him to do.

I respected Colin's protest from the very beginning. At games if I have a hat on I'll take it off and stand. The hand over the heart thing I don't know if I've ever done that not while we still have the injustices in this country. BTW, if there is room for me to take a knee in the stands I most certainly would.

Peace 
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Well, I didn't think he was disrespecting the flag (and not sure why we even do that silly ceremony prior to a sporting event), but I did think he was making it about himself, and for that I will admit I was wrong. I have talked smack about him, because he was a rival quarterback who I simply didn't like. I also wouldn't want him on my team today. Nothing to do with his kneeling. He simply couldn't even carry water for Russell Wilson at this point and would never be in a position to earn what he thinks he should be paid on my team. Maybe a hapless NFL team with a perennial losing record could use his services. So I wish him luck, and congratulate him on fighting the fight. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I'll post this in the NFL thread too. 

Goodell says they were wrong and will do more going forward.

I would like the first thing they did was to remove Kaps gag order.

NFL do that and we would believe you.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Awesome! And it's vegan.
    It's a hopeless situation...

Not only not pissed off- that makes my little heart happy! 

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:

As it made my stomach.
    Happy to see a vegan ice cream that just might be palatable. 
    Winding up the knee-jerks is just a plus.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    brianlux said:

As it made my stomach.
    If it's vegan, it ain't ice cream.
    ...just saying...

I'm actually making homemade ice cream to drop off for friends at xmas this year: Cranberry and Gingerbread flavors
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    brianlux said:

As it made my stomach.

If anybody can make a vegan ice cream, it Ben and Jerry's!  I've found a few that are OK, but none really all that great.  Hopes are high!