Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Neil is the guest on this weeks Conan O’Brien needs a friend podcast for anyone interested.
  • ST66483 said:
    Neil is the guest on this weeks Conan O’Brien needs a friend podcast for anyone interested.
    It's up. 

It's okey.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

"NY is as old as hell". LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• "NY is as old as hell". LOL
    Stone aint giving a fuck. haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited November 2019
    I tried listening to Colorado last night based on Brian's review. Couldn't get through it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I tried listening to Colorado last night based on Brian's review. Couldn't get through it. 
    Did you notice how sometimes Neil tries to cram in way to many words for the melody with his written-down-five-minutes-before-recording lyrics? 
    I tried listening to Colorado last night based on Brian's review. Couldn't get through it. 
    Did you notice how sometimes Neil tries to cram in way to many words for the melody with his written-down-five-minutes-before-recording lyrics? 
    totally. there is zero melody in his vocals. it's just shouting/shrieking to music now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Sorry to hear that but you're not alone.  
    totally. there is zero melody in his vocals. it's just shouting/shrieking to music now. 
    Side three actually has some more quiet singing, especially the last cut, "I Do".  Maybe try again and some will grow on you?  But maybe not and that's OK too. 

Not all of our heroes come through for us every time.  I took an album to the store today to resell that is by another favorite of mine that I recently bought.  I feel like a traitor of a fan but the record just didn't do it for me.  Sometimes that's just how it goes.  I'm still a fan anyway as, no doubt, you still are a fan of a lot of NY's stuff.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Colorado would be better if it were an instrumental record.
    I can count on one hand how many studio records he’s released this century that I’ve enjoyed.
    brianlux said:
    Side three actually has some more quiet singing, especially the last cut, "I Do".  Maybe try again and some will grow on you?  But maybe not and that's OK too. 

Not all of our heroes come through for us every time.  I took an album to the store today to resell that is by another favorite of mine that I recently bought.  I feel like a traitor of a fan but the record just didn't do it for me.  Sometimes that's just how it goes.  I'm still a fan anyway as, no doubt, you still are a fan of a lot of NY's stuff.
    he releases so much damn material, it would be a dream to be a big fan of his. the amount of classics he's written probably outweighs all of PJ's material. you've just got to be ok to dig through the mud to get to the gold.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

he releases so much damn material, it would be a dream to be a big fan of his. the amount of classics he's written probably outweighs all of PJ's material. you've just got to be ok to dig through the mud to get to the gold.  
    Yeah, I fully admit I've struggles with some of his last several albums but every one of them does have it's vein of gold.  And at this point in his career, I'm just so happy he is still making music as he always has- the way he wants to.  Everyday Neil is walking around on this planet is a good day.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Touring plans for 2020 being planned at the moment.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    “Homegrown” will be the first NYA release of 2020

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    “Homegrown” will be the first NYA release of 2020

Alright!  Long overdue and highly anticipated!

Apparently this is everything that’s ‘in the can’ and ready to go at NYA

How the hell are we supposed to narrow this down to a Top 3?!? I’ve tried, and it hurt my brain.

(Tim Rogers)
    Also the subscription will be going up, presumably to reflect the “Uncle Eddie” discussion

For those that missed it, “Uncle Eddie” wrote to NYA basically saying that he was worried he wouldn’t live long enough to hear all of the unreleased music. It got Neil thinking the same way, and he’s been trying to figure out how to release more stuff to stream on NYA before it gets a physical or download release. An increased subscription (which is still crazy cheap for what you get - hello Ten Club...) would allow access to more music.

(Tim Rogers)
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I’d love to have the Polar Vortex Lp. 

Today I saw what I assume to be a bootleg of Le Noise at a local shop. It was marked as new with a $32 price tag.Anyone have any info on the quality of this?  I passed, but it crossed my mind.

Same store had an OG copy of the album a few months back for $130.  
    I get that Neil is putting out new/unheard/ live stuff on his own time, but its pretty ridiculous that he can't keep the stuff thats been in print, in print. le Noise came out after Archives Vol. 1. By all accounts, it should be up to his audiophile snuff. Its silly that its gotten beat to repress by a bootleg.

I get that Neil is putting out new/unheard/ live stuff on his own time, but its pretty ridiculous that he can't keep the stuff thats been in print, in print. le Noise came out after Archives Vol. 1. By all accounts, it should be up to his audiophile snuff. Its silly that its gotten beat to repress by a bootleg.

When Le Noise came out, I saw a new copy of it in a record store in Sacramento.  I think it was something like $25 or $26 which I thought was ridiculously expensive for a new album and I passed in it.  Now days, it's running $100 and up- way too much and it still hasn't been re-issued. 

It's time, Neil, it's time!

goldrush said:
    Also the subscription will be going up, presumably to reflect the “Uncle Eddie” discussion

For those that missed it, “Uncle Eddie” wrote to NYA basically saying that he was worried he wouldn’t live long enough to hear all of the unreleased music. It got Neil thinking the same way, and he’s been trying to figure out how to release more stuff to stream on NYA before it gets a physical or download release. An increased subscription (which is still crazy cheap for what you get - hello Ten Club...) would allow access to more music.
    who is uncle eddie?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited December 2019

Today I saw what I assume to be a bootleg of Le Noise at a local shop. It was marked as new with a $32 price tag.Anyone have any info on the quality of this?  I passed, but it crossed my mind.

I have the Le Noise bootleg (thanks to @lolobugg ). It doesn't sound bad, but if you already have the album in a different format that works for you, then you might want to save your money.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • goldrush said:

who is uncle eddie?

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    dankind said:

I have the Le Noise bootleg (thanks to @lolobugg ). It doesn't sound bad, but if you already have the album in a different format that works for you, then you might want to save your money.
    Thanks.  I have a subscription to NYA so I’ll stick with that. 
    After another very "focused on the music" listening this evening, I'm liking Colorado more than ever.  There are at least a couple of factors that, to me anyway, make this music great:

-The age factor.  As I was listening to the album, I had the gate-fold sleeve open to the large center spread photo.  The first part of the image I focused on was Nils head with it's thinning, grey hair and that easily recognizable visage of an old man.  And right then, I glanced over to my "recently listened to" albums and there in front was that first self titled Nils album from 1975.  On the cover is a photo of a young, brash, colorful Nils, fingers of one hand steadying himself against a wall with a large painting of a very stout seated boy on it, while the other hand tips a bottle of what appears to be some kind of liqueur from which the guitarist is taking a healthy slug.  It dawned on me, God Lord, if I'm Nils age (minus about two weeks) and he's still out there doing it.  Right on.  And Neil and the boys are even older and working like the troopers they are.  Major Kudos!

-The damage factor.  When a person gets to be into their late sixties and on into their 70's (i.e, the members of Crazy Horse), if they've had anything other than a cushy life, they have damage.  Neil and company have plenty of it.  Neil, definitely- physical, emotional damage.  And when someone like that works past the damage to create something that is both beautiful, ragged, nasty, loving, emotional, passionate, and is carried out with conviction, it's easy to feel inspired by it and it's easy to forgive the flaws. 

Colorado is a beautiful, ugly, tumultuous, impassioned work of art.  I have no problem ranking it among the best work Neil has done and I totally get his enthusiasm over the project.  .

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I’ll go see him, but how many Neil Young Records can one have? This is his 39th studio album.....
    I’ll go see him, but how many Neil Young Records can one have? This is his 39th studio album.....

Apparently one too many.  I have 40. 

LOL,  but that includes a few live LPs and on bootleg a friend gave me years ago.  I'm actually a good 9 LPs short of being a completest.  Probably never will be as I'm not a fan of Promise of the Real (respect them, just not a fan).

• Nieces birthday today. As usual me, my father and my brothers spent the cakeeating once again talking about how Neil "has lost it". This time about the Colorado album.
    Nieces birthday today. As usual me, my father and my brothers spent the cakeeating once again talking about how Neil "has lost it". This time about the Colorado album.

Lost it good.  Damn GOOD!

Side 3 of Colorado alone makes this classic Neil/Horse.  I'd defend it to the death!