Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,929
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    Really liking Toast on first listen. Pretty heavy lyrics, very wistful and self-reflective at times. Some lovely guitar jams in there as well. Will take a few more listens to fully absorb.

I wrote a longer mini  review in the just-received on vinyl thread, but essentially 4 1/2 out of five for me.  Leave off "Boom", make it one LP, and I'm in Crazy Horse Heaven!
    I’m really enjoying Toast. I’m only listening on NYA at the moment because shipping to AUS takes a while. I can’t wait for the vinyl to get here.

If you think about when it was recorded, Toast actually completes a really cool NYCH 90s/00s trilogy:

Sleeps With Angels (94)
    Broken Arrow (96)
    Toast (01)

I think these 3 sound pretty good together. You could include Greendale (03), but it has a different vibe to it.

As it stands, we’re due to have 4 NYCH records in the space of just 3 years:

Colorado (Oct 19)
    Barn (Dec 21)
    Toast (July 22)
    New record (late 22)

Throw in Return To Greendale (Nov 20) and Way Down In The Rust Bucket (Feb 21) and it’s been a pretty great few years for The Horse!
    Amazing recording output! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    Bought the vinyl of Toast. 
    But itching to stream it. Grr. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    edited July 2022
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    Really liking Toast on first listen. Pretty heavy lyrics, very wistful and self-reflective at times. Some lovely guitar jams in there as well. Will take a few more listens to fully absorb.

I wrote a longer mini  review in the just-received on vinyl thread, but essentially 4 1/2 out of five for me.  Leave off "Boom", make it one LP, and I'm in Crazy Horse Heaven!
    I’m really enjoying Toast. I’m only listening on NYA at the moment because shipping to AUS takes a while. I can’t wait for the vinyl to get here.

If you think about when it was recorded, Toast actually completes a really cool NYCH 90s/00s trilogy:

Sleeps With Angels (94)
    Broken Arrow (96)
    Toast (01)

I think these 3 sound pretty good together. You could include Greendale (03), but it has a different vibe to it.

As it stands, we’re due to have 4 NYCH records in the space of just 3 years:

Colorado (Oct 19)
    Barn (Dec 21)
    Toast (July 22)
    New record (late 22)

Throw in Return To Greendale (Nov 20) and Way Down In The Rust Bucket (Feb 21) and it’s been a pretty great few years for The Horse!

Great breakdown there, Goldrush!    I hadn't thought of it, but yes, Toast definitely works in tandem with Sleeps and Broken Arrow.  Are You Passionate has it moments, but when I listened to Toast today, I felt a strange sense of elation- not just because the record is great, but because it was like finding a huge piece of something missing that I didn't even know I was missing.

I hope you vinyl copy is good.  Mine has two tiny little clicks- not distracting at all- and otherwise sounds excellent.  A few people on the Hoffman site have complained about it being "crappy vinyl".  I have to wonder if the didn't give it a good cleaning first?  I find that if I clean new vinyl, it almost always sounds great and have had very few problems. 

As far as sound goes- "Boom Boom Boom" sounds a bit murky to me, but it's my least favorite song anyway.  "Going Home" on this vinyl edition sounds terrific- so much better than on Passionate.  Everything else sounds great too.  I couldn't be happier!

Bought the vinyl of Toast. 
    But itching to stream it. Grr. 
    Once your vinyl copy shows up, you will be in for a great listening experience!
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    It's been getting good reviews but the price is putting me off. Will have to wait until it goes down a bit. It's double the price of some of the recent NY releases.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,931
    I think the OBS were purposely priced cheaper. I found this to be in line with the last few studio or OPS releases. 

If you wait 6-8months, you can probably get this much cheaper from Amazon. It’s like that for every Neil release.  
  • Options
    I think the OBS were purposely priced cheaper. I found this to be in line with the last few studio or OPS releases. 

If you wait 6-8months, you can probably get this much cheaper from Amazon. It’s like that for every Neil release.  
    Good to know. Barn for instance can be picked up relatively cheap at the moment but I am trying to be more selective since NY puts out so much. Toast has been getting great reviews which is what makes it so tempting but is a little bit too much at this time for me, 7 tracks for around £35. What's the pressing like. Discogs has a lot of people not happy with the European pressing, not sure if US is different.
  • Options
    Standard Barn LP is £15.24 on Amazon UK at the moment.

If I go onto Amazon US there seems barely any vinyl available to me direct from Amazon. Is this common, wasn't sure if its deliberately recognising my location and not showing me stuff or if they are just low on stock.
  • Options
    minki2011minki2011 Posts: 12
    Toast will arrive on Friday. Very excited to hear that one...
  • Options

FR181798 said:

Good to know. Barn for instance can be picked up relatively cheap at the moment but I am trying to be more selective since NY puts out so much. Toast has been getting great reviews which is what makes it so tempting but is a little bit too much at this time for me, 7 tracks for around £35. What's the pressing like. Discogs has a lot of people not happy with the European pressing, not sure if US is different.

I read the same thing there. Could be true.  The U.S. pressing I got in the mail sounds great!  True there are two little tiny, brief clicks, but they are so negligible compared to thee over all sound, they were no bother to me at all. 
    I suspect that a lot of people don't bother to give new vinyl a good, deep cleaning before giving it that first spin.  I wonder how much that is the problem? That always makes a big difference.  I good number of turns in a Spin Clean or cleaning machine is always a good idea.
    Besides the LPs being solid, the packaging is nice and I always appreciate inserts with lyrics (which these discs have). 
    Hopefully you can get a U.S. pressing without too much added for postage or find a shop that can get you one at a reasonable cost.

Oh, and Barn on vinyl sounds great too!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Has Jeff ever played live in his Zuma tshirt?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Standard Barn LP is £15.24 on Amazon UK at the moment.

If I go onto Amazon US there seems barely any vinyl available to me direct from Amazon. Is this common, wasn't sure if its deliberately recognising my location and not showing me stuff or if they are just low on stock.
    must be because of location, everything released in the past 3-4 years except Rust bucket seems to be readily available.

Rust bucket must be selling out because the great reviews, and because its 4LPs and in a box and will take a bit to get repressed.
  • Options
    Carneige Hall went away. I haven't gotten one. Says it will be available now in july... but I doubt it...
  • Options
    I'm sure its in a queue somewhere.
  • Options
    Carneige Hall went away. I haven't gotten one. Says it will be available now in july... but I doubt it...
    I think best bet is to find it in a bricks and mortar shop. I'm sure a few shops that don't really do online will have copies on their shelves. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    FR181798 said:
    I think best bet is to find it in a bricks and mortar shop. I'm sure a few shops that don't really do online will have copies on their shelves. 
    We don't have those kind of shops in Sweden. They're completely wiped out. We have stores selling used records. And one pshycial record store in Gothenburg, and like two in Stockholm selling new records.
  • Options
    In an interview with Rolling Stone, Townshend was complimented on the impactful use of The Who’s music on the soundtrack of the American TV series Freaks and Geeks. When asked if he had seen the show,

Townshend replied: “Yes, I did. It was a real buzz. I remember being very moved by it and very honoured. It was a dark comedy show with deep, swinging connotations about performance and education and all the things I’m talking about. The uses were very, very smart.”

Townshend then illustrates his point by bringing in Young as an example, rebuking his prudence over the years. “In a sense, it redeemed and gave credence to the fact that I’ve always felt the worst person … Let’s get into real trouble here. The worst person to have control of Neil Young’s catalogue is Neil Young.

Give it to me. I just think there’s so much stuff there that could be just turned into joy. He’s such an incredible writer, and so much of his stuff is just unknown, partly because he keeps it tied so tight to his chest.”
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    edited July 2022
    In an interview with Rolling Stone, Townshend was complimented on the impactful use of The Who’s music on the soundtrack of the American TV series Freaks and Geeks. When asked if he had seen the show,

Townshend replied: “Yes, I did. It was a real buzz. I remember being very moved by it and very honoured. It was a dark comedy show with deep, swinging connotations about performance and education and all the things I’m talking about. The uses were very, very smart.”

Townshend then illustrates his point by bringing in Young as an example, rebuking his prudence over the years. “In a sense, it redeemed and gave credence to the fact that I’ve always felt the worst person … Let’s get into real trouble here. The worst person to have control of Neil Young’s catalogue is Neil Young.

Give it to me. I just think there’s so much stuff there that could be just turned into joy. He’s such an incredible writer, and so much of his stuff is just unknown, partly because he keeps it tied so tight to his chest.”
    I just read that article and my first thought was, I genuinely can’t remember the last time Pete Townsend wrote anything remotely interesting. Oh well.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

I just read that article and my first thought was, I genuinely can’t remember the last time Pete Townsend wore anything remotely interesting. Oh well.
    I'm not playing that game. The same can be said about Neil, or Pearl Jam or Taylor Swift.. or whoever. Depending on what one find interesting. I have never liked The Who, Roger Daltrey is void of charisma, but wasn't that last album they did... eh....Endless Wire (?) received pretty well?

But I mean, it's all moot. Harvest Moon was in A Quiet Place, and Neil has had songs in a million other things. I'm happy Neil is not selling his songs to e.g. Verizon or whatever company Pearl Jam sold River Cross to. But it's not like his songs doesn't show up in films and TV.
  • Options
    To be fair, PJ let them use the song because Verzion donated to the Vitalogy Foundation. 
  • Options
    goldrush said:

I just read that article and my first thought was, I genuinely can’t remember the last time Pete Townsend wore anything remotely interesting. Oh well.
    I'm not playing that game. The same can be said about Neil, or Pearl Jam or Taylor Swift.. or whoever. Depending on what one find interesting. I have never liked The Who, Roger Daltrey is void of charisma, but wasn't that last album they did... eh....Endless Wire (?) received pretty well?

But I mean, it's all moot. Harvest Moon was in A Quiet Place, and Neil has had songs in a million other things. I'm happy Neil is not selling his songs to e.g. Verizon or whatever company Pearl Jam sold River Cross to. But it's not like his songs doesn't show up in films and TV.

If you were to read Daltrey's memoir, Thank You, Mr. Kibblewhite, I think you would find Roger to be highly charismatic.  I certainly did.

• Options
    To be fair, PJ let them use the song because Verzion donated to the Vitalogy Foundation. 
    Is that a fact? That Pearl Jam did not make money off that use and it all went to charity?

Never saw anything about it back then (?). Maybe I missed that?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    JimmyV said:
    Farm Aid sent out a save the date for September and listed Neil as appearing. Would be his first show in a while, I believe. He skipped Farm Aid last year. 
    Neil has said today that he won’t be at Farm Aid this year. 

“Not ready to tour. COVID is a real danger. Long Covid? No thanks. Expose my son to big crowds? No”

”I will not be at FarmAid this year. I am not ready for that yet. I don’t think it is safe in the pandemic. I miss it very much.”
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    JimmyV said:
    Farm Aid sent out a save the date for September and listed Neil as appearing. Would be his first show in a while, I believe. He skipped Farm Aid last year. 
    Neil has said today that he won’t be at Farm Aid this year. 

“Not ready to tour. COVID is a real danger. Long Covid? No thanks. Expose my son to big crowds? No”

”I will not be at FarmAid this year. I am not ready for that yet. I don’t think it is safe in the pandemic. I miss it very much.”

That is great news.  Neil is no youngster!  (I can say that, haha!)

• Options
    When will the covid situation be better then this though? I’n no expert on diseases, but what will happen going forward that will make the world more managable in regards to covid than now?
  • Options
    I can understand his point of view. Both Zeke and Ben have cerebral palsy so you can imagine Neil would be super protective of them, and Neil is in his 70s and has had his own fair share of health issues. I would love to see him play live again, but health is more important.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,474
    The Bridge School has recently made a cryptic social media post about Covid. It's unclear if they've had a recent outbreak. I wonder if that has had any impact on Neil's thinking, especially in regard to the rumors that the Benefit is coming back this year.
  • Options
    When will the covid situation be better then this though? I’n no expert on diseases, but what will happen going forward that will make the world more managable in regards to covid than now?
    BA5 is ripping through the US right now. But the FDA has given the OK to not need trial data for approval of a BA 5 vaccine. We're probably closer to the end (where we get vaccines based on the the outbreak, like flu, dropping regularly), but I understand peoples reluctance to just live normally still.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    BA5 is ripping through the US right now. But the FDA has given the OK to not need trial data for approval of a BA 5 vaccine. We're probably closer to the end (where we get vaccines based on the the outbreak, like flu, dropping regularly), but I understand peoples reluctance to just live normally still.

Yeah, considering his advanced age and the the fact that his generational cohort suffered the greatest loss—and I think Neil Young lost a few of his friends and collaborators as well, but I could be wrong—that alone, might be enough to give me pause. Add on the increased risk to his children with cerebral palsy, and it seems like a pretty rational decision to me.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Carnegie Hall back up for ordering here in the UK. Expected Sept.
  • Options
    Dana Carvey, David Spade and Jimmy Fallon discussing Neil Youngs style of harmonica playing VS Bon Dylans, and singing voice at the start of the latest episode of Fly on the Wall

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3G3VMqNebBc2amPdvLMpxG?si=2kxbCnY7QSGl3w0oi0Cetw