Options

Pearl Jam Unplugged for Black Friday RSD

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Does anyone have tips for this?

Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade is releasing a double-live album, an exclusive RSD release.  It is limited to 3,000

So how do I get it?  Do I need to just pick a random record store and sleep outside with a bunch of asshole scalpers?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,902
    I think the photo on this one is fine. drummers are almost always at least semi-obscured by their kit in pictures, and this is no different. 
    It's fine. I hope they use this image on the back of the vinyl cover. 

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    MayDay10 said:

Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade is releasing a double-live album, an exclusive RSD release.  It is limited to 3,000

So how do I get it?  Do I need to just pick a random record store and sleep outside with a bunch of asshole scalpers?
    Pretty much, unless you just cough up an extra 80 bones or so and buy it off the bay
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Pretty much, unless you just cough up an extra 80 bones or so and buy it off the bay
    ugh.  that sucks.

The local record stores, are fairly small, and Im not sure I trust the owners to be honest.  Its also late November in Buffalo and I have a family.  Not sleeping outside.  

I hate RSD now.  It seems like it is 95% scalpers who participate.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2019
    MayDay10 said:

Find out if your local shop ordered it/ actually got his order.  
    Line up outside.    For what its worth, ive found RSD to not be overly packed with obvious flippers And pricks.  Usually everyone im surrounded with in line just talks nonstop about this band or that band and gets what they’re after.  You can usually tell who’s there to make money

Maybe its just my local shop. I dont know.  Its a single file line.  Last time I was third in line.  The first two guys knew i wanted PJ and Bone Thugs and they passed both back to me.  Its always a good experience if you get there early.  Good conversation
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Line up outside.    For what its worth, ive found RSD to not be overly packed with obvious flippers And pricks.  Usually everyone im surrounded with in line just talks nonstop about this band or that band and gets what they’re after.  You can usually tell who’s there to make money

Maybe its just my local shop. I dont know.  Its a single file line.  Last time I was third in line.  The first two guys knew i wanted PJ and Bone Thugs and they passed both back to me.  Its always a good experience if you get there early.  Good conversation
    What time did you need to arrive to be 3rd in line (I know different locations are different).
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

What time did you need to arrive to be 3rd in line (I know different locations are different).
    I’m interested in knowing that too- where I am it’s like 50/50 fans/flippers. Closest I’ve ever been was 15 back in line and I had gotten there at lie 3:30am.  Now I just pay up and sleep in, let the flipper serve me.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,440
    Is there anyone behind that drumkit? Silly Dave, hiding behind his drums. See, it's your fault, not Eddie's.
    That’s hilarious and kinda petty all at the same time. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

ugh.  that sucks.

The local record stores, are fairly small, and Im not sure I trust the owners to be honest.  Its also late November in Buffalo and I have a family.  Not sleeping outside.  

I hate RSD now.  It seems like it is 95% scalpers who participate.
    In my experience there aren't a ton of straight scalpers but it's definitely a grind. Which store will have a decent quantity of what you want? What are other people there to pick up? How do you feel about dealing with a bunch of people frenzied and hunting for stuff at the same time?

I generally go late morning and look for leftovers. Or try to find drops online in the subsequent days. But it's too much of a crapshoot for me to invest much time. Got to my local around noon last time and they had a bunch of Easy Streets. Meanwhile I struck out on The Crow across the board. Fun idea, but it's such a hassle now.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Is there anyone behind that drumkit? Silly Dave, hiding behind his drums. See, it's your fault, not Eddie's.
    I think it's the girl from The Ring actually. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

5am.  Obviously different for every city.  Ive heard of 8pm the night before at some spots.   Im in a major city but its a chill place
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    On a side note, not cool that the only NOT recognizable person on the front cover is the drummer. 
    I can't see Matt C very well in this one!

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I’m interested in knowing that too- where I am it’s like 50/50 fans/flippers. Closest I’ve ever been was 15 back in line and I had gotten there at lie 3:30am.  Now I just pay up and sleep in, let the flipper serve me.
    Im wondering if this is the best course of action for me.  We used to have a couple big record stores here that always seemed to get respectable quantities of everything.  Now, we have a dozen places as big as a closet.  I really am not sure where to go.  I went to a place last RSD morning and it was cleaned out of everything.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

5am.  Obviously different for every city.  Ive heard of 8pm the night before at some spots.   Im in a major city but its a chill place
    There is ZERO reason to show up the night before.

There is NOTHING that is worth that much of your time that couldn't be picked up that day or off the bay or even from somebody else.

Print runs aren't 2-500 anymore, for the big releases they are 3-10,000 copies now.  That is a lot of copies.  Nothing turns profits for flipping these anymore.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    You’re always going to have some artist or label that does /800.   I agree that id rather go to ebay if my city required me to get there more than four hours early. 

Obviously PJ will have enough.  12,000 is enormous.     
    MayDay’s question is still valid tho.  3,000 of Les Claypool means most stores will get a handful.  Depends on how many fans are out there in his city.  Id line up but not incredibly early.  EBay shouldnt even be bad. 
  • Options
    You’re always going to have some artist or label that does /800.   I agree that id rather go to ebay if my city required me to get there more than four hours early. 

MayDay’s question is still valid tho.  3,000 of Les Claypool means most stores will get a handful.  Depends on how many fans are out there in his city.  Id line up but not incredibly early.  EBay shouldnt even be bad. 
    I hope you're right, but The Crow was 8,000. Good luck getting your hands on one for under $125. I'll admit that I have no idea how to size up demand with all of these, though.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    Vinyl = Spending $25 for something you already have.  
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

I hope you're right, but The Crow was 8,000. Good luck getting your hands on one for under $125. I'll admit that I have no idea how to size up demand with all of these, though.
    Wasn't there a delay on The Crow Soundtrack that not all 8000 copies were shipped out? My local record store only had 1 copy on RSD that morning.

At least 2000 Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged RSD copies will be sold @ Easy Street Records. Guaranteed! :p
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

Crow was an easy pass for me.
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    pjl44 said:

Wasn't there a delay on The Crow Soundtrack that not all 8000 copies were shipped out? My local record store only had 1 copy on RSD that morning.

At least 2000 Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged RSD copies will be sold @ Easy Street Records. Guaranteed! :p
    Was there? I can only tell you this:

1. I checked 6 stores and they had all sold out
    2. Couldn't find any online via the leftover sales
    3. I made a preorder on Amazon that was canceled 
    4. I haven't been able to find one under $100 for as long as I've been looking

Maybe I missed a follow-up in-store drop afterward?
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

I dont know.  The Crow is certainly much more popular and mainstream by Colonel Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, lol.  

Face value will also be up there because it is a double-album.  Maybe that will keep some of the scalpers at-bay.  Not sure this is a huge margin item.  

Sorry to derail PJ's Unplugged with Colonel Claypools Fearless Flying Frog Brigade stuff.  
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    demetrios said:
    pjl44 said:

"Warner moved warehouses....a big chunk if there stuff didn't show up to US disturbuters"
    "My local shop just got a bunch of copies. Apparently a ton of stuff was late to ship."

Not sure if it was up on Instagram but saw a few posts were record stores received their copies 3 months later.
    Never heard anyone scoring one from Amazon

I was able to pick up that 1 & only copy at my local record store on RSD.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    pjl44 said:

I dont know.  The Crow is certainly much more popular and mainstream by Colonel Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, lol.  

Face value will also be up there because it is a double-album.  Maybe that will keep some of the scalpers at-bay.  Not sure this is a huge margin item.  

Sorry to derail PJ's Unplugged with Colonel Claypools Fearless Flying Frog Brigade stuff.  
    Look, I really hope you're right. I want this one, too. Those albums are classics, especially Set 2.
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    pjl44 said:
    demetrios said:
    pjl44 said:

"Warner moved warehouses....a big chunk if there stuff didn't show up to US disturbuters"
    "My local shop just got a bunch of copies. Apparently a ton of stuff was late to ship."

Not sure if it was up on Instagram but saw a few posts were record stores received their copies 3 months later.
    Never heard anyone scoring one from Amazon

I was able to pick up that 1 & only copy at my local record store on RSD.

Interesting thread. Unfortunately if that stock made it out, it hasn't put a dent in the secondary market. 
  • Options
    What about those of us in Europe? Does that mean we have to pay about €30 for postage? Why do things have to be so complicated. Just give us a limited pre order ten club euro store release. Simple. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    LOL. that's why I only buy vinyl if it's not otherwise available in another format. I'll never understand the gluttonous consumerism of getting music in multiple formats. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    What about those of us in Europe? Does that mean we have to pay about €30 for postage? Why do things have to be so complicated. Just give us a limited pre order ten club euro store release. Simple. 

If none is close by, many European online record stores will have copies for sale, hopefully.
    https://www.banquetrecords.com/ will probably have copies. Check them out. A+ service. :) 

• Options
    LOL. that's why I only buy vinyl if it's not otherwise available in another format. I'll never understand the gluttonous consumerism of getting music in multiple formats. 
    At this point, vinyl is my only physical medium. If I'm listening to something, it's either that or streaming. I can count on one hand the number of CDs I've bought in the last decade and sold back most of my old ones. (Not saying I'm thrilled with the latter decision, but it is what it is.) I suspect a lot of people are in this camp nowadays, especially those buying vinyl.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    At this point, vinyl is my only physical medium. If I'm listening to something, it's either that or streaming. I can count on one hand the number of CDs I've bought in the last decade and sold back most of my old ones. (Not saying I'm thrilled with the latter decision, but it is what it is.) I suspect a lot of people are in this camp nowadays, especially those buying vinyl.
    that's awesome. what I'm talking about is people who buy music on cd AND vinyl. I don't get that. But maybe i would if I had money to burn. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com