Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg on cover of TIME

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Only a fool takes pride in driving a car.
    Negative.  Driving a car or bike hard is so exhilarating.  Have you never tracked a car? Nothing like that adrenaline for me. 

Do you mean bicycle or motor bike? If bicycle, I'll agree with that, but in that case it's your own effort and strength and expanding your limits that's exhilarating. Just pushing the gas peddle on a vehicle is boring. 
    I don't know about that.  Cruising around yesterday in the countryside listening to pj on sirius was pretty damn fun.  
    Yup.  I agree.  Just came back from Dad's...had Bob Seger cranked.  You can't do that on public transit...well you can if you have earbuds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xx_VIbgAwk
    I always scream FUCK IT when I'm jamming to this on public transportation. 

When coupled with Untitled,  to me,  this is their most "Bruce" like song.  The lyrics are vintage Springsteen. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited October 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Negative.  Driving a car or bike hard is so exhilarating.  Have you never tracked a car? Nothing like that adrenaline for me. 

Do you mean bicycle or motor bike? If bicycle, I'll agree with that, but in that case it's your own effort and strength and expanding your limits that's exhilarating. Just pushing the gas peddle on a vehicle is boring. 
    I don't know about that.  Cruising around yesterday in the countryside listening to pj on sirius was pretty damn fun.  
    Yup.  I agree.  Just came back from Dad's...had Bob Seger cranked.  You can't do that on public transit...well you can if you have earbuds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xx_VIbgAwk
    I always scream FUCK IT when I'm jamming to this on public transportation. 

When coupled with Untitled,  to me,  this is their most "Bruce" like song.  The lyrics are vintage Springsteen. 
    I also scream FUCK IT when listening to this one; it is a great driving song for sure.  I never thought of this as a Bruce song, interesting. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    We can get rid of cars.

As long as we keep motorcycles. 
    I used to think motorcycles were cool.  In high school, along side all my Hendrix and Fillmore West, Avalon Ballroom and Winterland posters and hand bills, I had a poster of Peter Fonda from Easy Rider on a bike and another of Steve McQueen from The Great Escape.

Any more though, I mostly hate them.  Where I live, the majority of riders have reamed out the mufflers so they are loud as fuck.  I've had my ears dinged countless time- each time making my tinnitus worse.  They roar up main street setting off car alarms.  One bike went by so loudly once it literally busted out a window in one of the other shops in  town.  No fun.
    So I don't know how loud your talking, but there is a truism that "loud pipes save lives".  
    I'm talking about loud enough to be harmful to one's hearing.  That is not OK.  Damaging innocent bystanders' hearing is not OK.  And I say that not just I have damaged ears.  I know others with normal hearing who feel the same way.  Anyone with normal hearing can hear a motorcycle without it pipes reamed out.  The loudness at the level I'm talking about has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with "Look at me!"  In most case it's macho bullshit carried out by sexually insecure men.
    You must be talking hogs which are definitely not my thing.  I've heard what you're taking about and it's obnoxious.  I am a fan of high flow pipes which are louder, but stock super bikes are too quiet and a risk especially at night.  I would always down shift when I suspected someone was oblivious to my presence,  just ao they heard me  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LlA0_Hv3CQ
    ^That's yet another great episode.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have to agree. This car addiction in North America is a big problem. So many people are being ridiculously defensive and stubborn when it comes to this topic. Many still seem to think that having a car is some sort of badge of honour or "real" adulthood, and a LOT of people actually look down on those who choose to live car-free. It's quite sad.
    It's a necessity for millions of people,  the day to day logistics of my life could not be done without a vehicle.  
    I am not talking about necessity. That has nothing to do with the point me or S_C are making.
    I love cars.  I love driving them.  I love fixing them.  I love rebuilding them.  I love getting dirty underneath them.  I love racing them.  Am I a fool?  Just curious, because I don't feel stupid most of the time, but I love being judged, so fire away.  
    I get it, M.  I was a big car enthusiast when I was young and sort of still am in a way.  I loved my first car- a mid 60's Riley 1.5 with it's rosewood dash, leather seats and amber blinking turn-signal arm- and equally loved my '65 Chevy Malibu.  And  I have to admit that I really like my Prius.  It gets great gas mileage, it will last at least 300,000 miles.  With back seats that fold flat and a rear hatch, I can haul several boxes of books when I need to. 

But times are changing.  We need to start finding other things to focus on.
    Well that is exactly where I'm coming from (and I wasn't calling you a fool mrussel1, but I do think it's somewhat foolish to cling to the fetishization of cars at this point in time). It is simply time for people to start adjusting, and to let go of the car thing to every extent possible where they live. Obviously that includes cars as a hobby. I know people are into them and are really defensive about this concept ... But life isn't always fair, and I think in this case, letting go of the North American car obsession is for the greater good. People are really going to have to start understanding that they are actually going to have to make sacrifices for the sake of the our environment and to change culture towards that end. That doesn't even have to include public transit, but FFS, this strong resistance to even alternative transportation for individuals, like e-cars and e-bikes, is starting to simply come of as selfish and irresponsible.
    cars or guns. you cant have both. pick one.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    For those who want us to give up cars, are you willing to forgo your smartphone that many of you likely upgrade long before you need to?

That is not particularly good for the environment.

I'm not giving up my ride and the eternal combustion engine will still be the bulk of car sales long after most of us are dead and buried...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    For those who want us to give up cars, are you willing to forgo your smartphone that many of you likely upgrade long before you need to?

That is not particularly good for the environment.

I'm not giving up my ride and the eternal combustion engine will still be the bulk of car sales long after most of us are dead and buried...
    I do have a car but I never reproduced, I never have had nor expect ever to have a smart phone, I haven't replaced my TV in 15 years, haven't bought a major appliance in this century, expect to keep my 45 MPG car for at least 300,000 miles and adjust my thermostat for better energy saving that recommended and I still have too big a footprint. 

So we have to either voluntarily make more changes or have them involuntarily be made for us in a much harsher manner.  We still get to choose.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    nobody can be 100% of not having an impact.  Not even Greta.  It takes a collective effort to help mitigate environmental impacts.

and some people are just selfish
  • Smellyman said:
    Meltdown99 said:
    And I refuse to ride public transit...I like driving.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Smellyman said:
    Meltdown99 said:
    I like driving too; I only use public transit when I am in nyc.  The only people around here who use public transit are people commuting to nyc or those who can not afford a car.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Smellyman said:
    Meltdown99 said:
    Me and a billions of other people.  So when are you going to commit to the environment and live like they did in the 1800’s.

Not only do I like driving it’s a necessity for millions of us in Ontario who have no access to public transit ... not that I would use it anyways. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,930
    Smellyman said:
    Meltdown99 said:
    SC, for those of us who aren't likely to stop driving to work tomorrow, I'm wondering if you have any knowledge of the more efficient of the organizations offering carbon offsetting. I'd like to offset my flying and my driving, but I figure like a charity, there are going to be initiatives that yield better results. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Smellyman said:
    Meltdown99 said:
    Me and a billions of other people.  So when are you going to commit to the environment and live like they did in the 1800’s.

Not only do I like driving it’s a necessity for millions of us in Ontario who have no access to public transit ... not that I would use it anyways. 
    1800's?  Forget that.  Me in my buddies are going pre-agriculture.  

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Not only do I like driving it’s a necessity for millions of us in Ontario who have no access to public transit ... not that I would use it anyways. 
    Smellyman said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited October 2019
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I'm curious how this affects various power grids.  I mean, in California (and I assume other states / cities) during various times of the year we're prone to brownouts, encouraged to use appliances during designated hours to conserve energy, keep the heat / AC at certain levels, etc.

If someone with an electric car battery needs juice during an outage, are they shit out of luck?
    I would think so, unless they also own a fairly powerful gas driven (lol, oh the irony) generator.
    not if you have a house equipped with wind and  solar.  Actaully isn't crazy or unattainable to have totally off grid houses.  They are everywhere.

Plus if you're worrying about blackouts or brownouts there are bigger issues.
    If I thought I were staying in one place long enough, I would get solar, but I never expect to be in one home for long enough to make it pay off.  What should be done is to set it up so that the cost of solar is attached to one's mortgage.  That way, if you move, the solar payments go to the new owner.  A lot more people would go solar if this were done.  Simple solution.  Why this isn't done is beyond me.
    I think government subsidies would be great. If one converts their home to solar, then they receive a nice cheque to help pay off the reno. There is NO WAY our world is going to convert in this way without government initiatives like that. Better yet, make it illegal to build homes without solar power.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I'm curious how this affects various power grids.  I mean, in California (and I assume other states / cities) during various times of the year we're prone to brownouts, encouraged to use appliances during designated hours to conserve energy, keep the heat / AC at certain levels, etc.

If someone with an electric car battery needs juice during an outage, are they shit out of luck?
    I would think so, unless they also own a fairly powerful gas driven (lol, oh the irony) generator.
    not if you have a house equipped with wind and  solar.  Actaully isn't crazy or unattainable to have totally off grid houses.  They are everywhere.

If I thought I were staying in one place long enough, I would get solar, but I never expect to be in one home for long enough to make it pay off.  What should be done is to set it up so that the cost of solar is attached to one's mortgage.  That way, if you move, the solar payments go to the new owner.  A lot more people would go solar if this were done.  Simple solution.  Why this isn't done is beyond me.
    I think government subsidies would be great. If one converts their home to solar, then they receive a nice cheque to help pay off the reno. There is NO WAY our world is going to convert in this way without government initiatives like that. Better yet, make it illegal to build homes without solar power.
    In California, starting in 2020, all new houses will be required to have solar panels installed!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

In California, starting in 2020, all new houses will be required to have solar panels installed!

Awesome!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

That's great.  I'm a big fan of this.  I've had someone out evaluating my house, but they were a bit sketchy.  I think I'm going to pursue it some more.  I get full sun and have huge windows facing east, so my AC bill is high.  Also means I should be able to generate lots of solar electricity.  
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Adults Say the Darnedest Things...
    ...when they see a teenage bully trying to keep her planet sustainable.

https://amp.newser.com/story/281393/science-teacher-on-leave-after-greta-thunberg-comment.html
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    Adults Say the Darnedest Things...
    ...when they see a teenage bully trying to keep her planet sustainable.

https://amp.newser.com/story/281393/science-teacher-on-leave-after-greta-thunberg-comment.html
    That teacher should probably be fired, not just for the comment, but for being so stupid as to post it on Facebook.  We really don't need idiots teaching kids.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Let's not discuss anything to do with Sweden for six months ... I used to like that place.
    edited October 2019
    Jason P said:
    Let's not discuss anything to do with Sweden for six months ... I used to like that place.
    Six months?   I don't think we've avoided any topic for six months here since we analyzed the socio-political influence of Uriah Heep lyrics on adolescent members of the Yanomani tribe in the Amazon.  And that cessation only lasted 5 months.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    By gar, me thinks they's on ta somethin'! 

They must have read Kurt Vonnegut's Slapstick.  If you've read the book, then you know what those chemtrails really are.  Yep, you got it.  Miniature Chinese.  Some may think that's funny.  Wait till they start breathing in those microscopic Chinese and the plague starts to spread and take people down.  KV saw all this coming clear back in the mid-seventies.  Absolutely brilliant!  But why the hell they want to blame all this on Greta is beyond me. 

Flat Earthers for flatter heads!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:

They must have read Kurt Vonnegut's Slapstick.  If you've read the book, then you know what those chemtrails really are.  Yep, you got it.  Miniature Chinese.  Some may think that's funny.  Wait till they start breathing in those microscopic Chinese and the plague starts to spread and take people down.  KV saw all this coming clear back in the mid-seventies.  Absolutely brilliant!  But why the hell they want to blame all this on Greta is beyond me. 

This world needs Vonnegut. 

I think about it, and Jesus, Slapstick is a stinker as far as Vonnegut's works go, but it's still better than most of the books that take up space on my shelves.

Hopefully, Pynchon has one more novel in him before we lose him, too.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

This world needs Vonnegut. 

I think about it, and Jesus, Slapstick is a stinker as far as Vonnegut's works go, but it's still better than most of the books that take up space on my shelves.

Hopefully, Pynchon has one more novel in him before we lose him, too.
    Slapstick was never a favorite of mine either and yet some of it obviously stuck with me and got under my skin a bit.  I love that about Vonnegut.  Even at his worse, he always made a nice little dent or rearranged the synapses somewhere in my brain.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Whatever negative comments some have about her, you can't say that she doesn't walk the walk.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/greta-thunberg-nordic-prize-1.5340672

Teen climate activist Greta Thunberg, who has inspired protests around the world urging leaders to better tackle global warming, has declined an environmental prize, saying "the climate movement does not need any more prizes."

Two fellow climate activists spoke on Thunberg's behalf at an awards ceremony Tuesday in Stockholm for the regional interparliamentary Nordic Council's prizes. The two read a statement thanking the group for the honour.

Thunberg, 16, is currently in California.

But Sofia and Isabella Axelsson quoted Thunberg as saying "what we need is for our rulers and politicians to listen to the research."

The Nordic Council hands out annual prizes for literature, youth literature, film, music and the environment, each worth 350,000 Danish kroner ($68,000 Cdn).

It was not the first prize the climate activist has been nominated for or won.

Three Norwegian lawmakers nominated her for the Nobel Peace Prize this year because they believe "the massive movement Greta has set in motion is a very important peace contribution."

Last year, about three months into her school climate strike campaign, Thunberg declined another award — the Children's Climate Prize, which is awarded by a Swedish electricity company — because many of the finalists had to fly to Stockholm for the ceremony.

Thunberg notes that flights contribute to global warming, so she sailed across the Atlantic Ocean for two weeks on a zero-emissions sailboat to reach New York. There the Swede scolded a UN climate conference in September , repeatedly asking, "How dare you?"

"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and yet all you can talk about is money. You are failing us," she said.

Weeks later, Thunberg won the 2019 Right Livelihood Award — known as the Alternative Nobel — "for inspiring and amplifying political demands for urgent climate action reflecting scientific facts."

In May 2019, she was featured on the cover of Time magazine, which named her a "next generation leader."

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Whatever negative comments some have about her, you can't say that she doesn't walk the walk.

Teen climate activist Greta Thunberg, who has inspired protests around the world urging leaders to better tackle global warming, has declined an environmental prize, saying "the climate movement does not need any more prizes."

Two fellow climate activists spoke on Thunberg's behalf at an awards ceremony Tuesday in Stockholm for the regional interparliamentary Nordic Council's prizes. The two read a statement thanking the group for the honour.

But Sofia and Isabella Axelsson quoted Thunberg as saying "what we need is for our rulers and politicians to listen to the research."

The Nordic Council hands out annual prizes for literature, youth literature, film, music and the environment, each worth 350,000 Danish kroner ($68,000 Cdn).

Three Norwegian lawmakers nominated her for the Nobel Peace Prize this year because they believe "the massive movement Greta has set in motion is a very important peace contribution."

Last year, about three months into her school climate strike campaign, Thunberg declined another award — the Children's Climate Prize, which is awarded by a Swedish electricity company — because many of the finalists had to fly to Stockholm for the ceremony.

Thunberg notes that flights contribute to global warming, so she sailed across the Atlantic Ocean for two weeks on a zero-emissions sailboat to reach New York. There the Swede scolded a UN climate conference in September , repeatedly asking, "How dare you?"

"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and yet all you can talk about is money. You are failing us," she said.

Weeks later, Thunberg won the 2019 Right Livelihood Award — known as the Alternative Nobel — "for inspiring and amplifying political demands for urgent climate action reflecting scientific facts."

In May 2019, she was featured on the cover of Time magazine, which named her a "next generation leader."

Greta's the real deal.  :smile:

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    edited October 2019

lol

Sailing team to fly 2 crew to US to bring Thunberg boat back

https://apnews.com/be12be49011743daaa3646edb0de0b61
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    pjl44 said:

lol

Sailing team to fly 2 crew to US to bring Thunberg boat back

https://apnews.com/be12be49011743daaa3646edb0de0b61
    I think she’s doing her best within what she has control over. I didn’t get consulted on who crewed the plane the last time I flew, or who drove the last bus I got on. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf