I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Recent super lucky real country LP finds:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    brianlux said:
    Recent super lucky real country LP finds:

Great stuff!
  • Has anybody come across a copy of James Browns Big Payback or In The Jungle Groove?

I've been looking for these at my locals and come up nadda...
  • Just bought Big payback form Rough Trade, still looking for Jungle Groove!
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Live Bootleg.   Sounds good.  Great setlist
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    New Wilco and City and Colour 
  • Live Bootleg.   Sounds good.  Great setlist
    Cool cover for a bootleg.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2019
    So I have a new problem. 

I bought Metallicas black album. New, from the vinyl selection of a supermarket so I didn't keep the reciept (I sometimes put them inside the jacket of the album).

I listened through the the first side earlier last week and it played through nicely. I didn't touch the album after that, it stayed on the player while I went away. I came back now - and trying to play it again it skips on the first song Enter Sandman. 

I have done nothing to the album. It played through nice. I turned off the recordplayer. I try to play it again a few days later and it skips.

I tried cleaning it with the brush. But it doesn't help. It skips at the same spot. I will try to clean it more. 

But still -- I don't get how a new album can start to skip, with me doing nothing to it and it worked like a charm on the first play through.

FUCK VINYL. VIVA SPOITIFY
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    could be your how you have your turntable setup (google you turntable for instructions) or how close are your speakers to your turntable?
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    So I have a new problem. 

I bought Metallicas black album. New, from the vinyl selection of a supermarket so I didn't keep the reciept (I sometimes put them inside the jacket of the album).

I listened through the the first side earlier last week and it played through nicely. I didn't touch the album after that, it stayed on the player while I went away. I came back now - and trying to play it again it skips on the first song Enter Sandman. 

I have done nothing to the album. It played through nice. I turned off the recordplayer. I try to play it again a few days later and it skips.

I tried cleaning it with the brush. But it doesn't help. It skips at the same spot. I will try to clean it more. 

But still -- I don't get how a new album can start to skip, with me doing nothing to it and it worked like a charm on the first play through.

Might have a hard particle on the vinyl.
    When this happens I usually lightly drag my finger nail on the groove in that spot to clear that spot.Vinyl is durable it won’t scratch just apply enough pressure to get it off not enough to scratch it.
    hope this works
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

edited October 2019
    RobbyD462 said:
    So I have a new problem. 

When this happens I usually lightly drag my finger nail on the groove in that spot to clear that spot.Vinyl is durable it won’t scratch just apply enough pressure to get it off not enough to scratch it.
    hope this works
    That would be my guess.  Running it a few times through a Spin Clean might clear out the issue.  Using a finger nail lightly as RobbyD suggest would be my second option.  When all else fails, use a magnifying glass and a toothpick and try to carefully dislodge the blockage. 

Ironically I just (and I mean just) opened and cleaned this new record that I bought through eBay.  It had a similar issue.  I cleared the blockage out with fingernail and there is a bit of noise in that one spot but nothing serious.  It's also slightly warped but plays well enough and the price was right and I'll keep it. 

Here it is, my latest obsession- Dream Syndicate- this one's called Ghost Stories from 1988:

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    RobbyD462 said:
    So I have a new problem. 

hope this works
    That would be my guess.  Running it a few times through a Spin Clean might clear out the issue.  Using a finger nail lightly as RobbyD suggest would be my second option.  When all else fails, use a magnifying glass and a toothpick and try to carefully dislodge the blockage. 

Ironically I just (and I mean just) opened and cleaned this new record that I bought through eBay.  It had a similar issue.  I cleared the blockage out with fingernail and there is a bit of noise in that one spot but nothing serious.  It's also slightly warped but plays well enough and the price was right and I'll keep it. 

Here it is, my latest obsession- Dream Syndicate- this one's called Ghost Stories from 1988:

Will try the fingernail thing. 

It's fucking irritating. Brand new album. And I did nothing to it. 
  • SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    This
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    +1 He wants your money.  All of it.  
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    Is he responsible for the poor vinyl pressings?

• brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    More than I am. :) 
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    It's very frustrating to buy new vinyl that has defects right out of the package!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    He's responsible for incredibly poor live drumming.

Great studio drummer, though.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    It's very frustrating to buy new vinyl that has defects right out of the package!
    Should have kept the receipt. But buying it at the supermarket I didn't think about it and threw it like I do all supermarket receipts.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    Should have kept the receipt. But buying it at the supermarket I didn't think about it and threw it like I do all supermarket receipts.
    The record store I liked to frequent closed earlier this year, as the owner and his wife retired.  The other two near me are run by dicks (basically) so I don't feel the need to patronize them.  So now I'm free to buy from Amazon (and Ebay too).  If there's something wrong with the Amazon record, I have no problem returning it.  
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    The record store I liked to frequent closed earlier this year, as the owner and his wife retired.  The other two near me are run by dicks (basically) so I don't feel the need to patronize them.  So now I'm free to buy from Amazon (and Ebay too).  If there's something wrong with the Amazon record, I have no problem returning it.  
    The problem with that for me is Amazon.  They want to put all family owned brick and mortar stores out of business and they treat their employees like slaves. 

We don't have a decent record store anywhere near us these days either so I either order from independent stores I know of outside my area like the very cool Red Devil Records in San Rafael, California, or Discogs, or as a last resort, eBay. 

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    The problem with that for me is Amazon.  They want to put all family owned brick and mortar stores out of business and they treat their employees like slaves. 

We don't have a decent record store anywhere near us these days either so I either order from independent stores I know of outside my area like the very cool Red Devil Records in San Rafael, California, or Discogs, or as a last resort, eBay. 
    I know the problem with Amazon and go to them last.  But I'd rather pay them than the douches at Plan9 in a Richmond. I do ebay as well but always seem to end up at the monster seller called get_import_cd.  They have 2.5 million reviews.  Im not sure of that's better than Amazon or not. 
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!

I know the problem with Amazon and go to them last.  But I'd rather pay them than the douches at Plan9 in a Richmond. I do ebay as well but always seem to end up at the monster seller called get_import_cd.  They have 2.5 million reviews.  Im not sure of that's better than Amazon or not. 
    I hear you about get_import_cd.  I bought something from them years- a record that was slapped between two thin pieces of cardboard.  Not what I would call "sturdy" packaging!  

Have you had any luck with Discogs?  I like some of the sellers there and always go with either the ones I've had good buying with or that have good reviews.  I always read the rating reviews.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!

I hear you about get_import_cd.  I bought something from them years- a record that was slapped between two thin pieces of cardboard.  Not what I would call "sturdy" packaging!  

Have you had any luck with Discogs?  I like some of the sellers there and always go with either the ones I've had good buying with or that have good reviews.  I always read the rating reviews.
    Yes bought a ton of used there,  especially when looking for a specific pressing.  I've had about 80% success.  You're right,  the reviews are key because there's a bunch a amateurs there.  I bought Cars Moving in Stereo two weeks ago.  4 days after ordering,  I got a message that the order was cancelled.  That's annoying.  I ended up buying it from an Ebay seller out of California that I've used a few times.  Called Packman I think. 
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Which pressing of Definitely Maybe is that?   Saw a nice silver one.  Wondering how it sounds
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    Which pressing of Definitely Maybe is that?   Saw a nice silver one.  Wondering how it sounds
    It's the new silver pressing. Haven't spun it yet, but plan on it this weekend. I'll let you know. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    Mr. Cave and company's most excellent (minus the last song), The Boatman's Call (2014 BMG/Mute vinyl re-issue):

brianlux said:
    Mr. Cave and company's most excellent (minus the last song), The Boatman's Call (2014 BMG/Mute vinyl re-issue):

I need to listen more to them.  They do the soundtrack top Peaky Blinders and I dig it.