PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I said a couple pages back that the only manager more insufferable than Kapler is Maddon.  The guy is the smartest guy in every room he's ever been in...just ask him.

Also, he is incredibly overrated.  He has had some really good players right in their prime on his most successful teams.
    Someone has to be the smartest in the room so maybe he might be. He has taken to historically weak franchises to the playoffs an awful lot.  You can’t argue with his success
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    pjhawks said:
    I said a couple pages back that the only manager more insufferable than Kapler is Maddon.  The guy is the smartest guy in every room he's ever been in...just ask him.

Also, he is incredibly overrated.  He has had some really good players right in their prime on his most successful teams.
    Someone has to be the smartest in the room so maybe he might be. He has taken to historically weak franchises to the playoffs an awful lot.  You can’t argue with his success
    He’s won 1 world series but doesn’t shut the fuck up. He’s a tool.
    edited September 2019
    He also just got the boot because he led a wildly underachieving team who seemed to give up on him. Sounds like just what the Phillies need 
    He also just got the boot because he led a wildly underachieving team who seemed to give up on him. Sounds like just what the Phillies need 
    He went to the playoffs four years in a row prior. I’ll take a prick who makes the playoffs four years in a row. I’m sure you don’t mind that Aaron boone is a douche because the yanks are in the playoffs.  
    pjhawks said:
    He went to the playoffs four years in a row prior. I’ll take a prick who makes the playoffs four years in a row. I’m sure you don’t mind that Aaron boone is a douche because the yanks are in the playoffs.  
    With one of the highest payrolls in the game and a few home grown stars. He should have.  I think he's wildly overrated and incredibly annoying.  We'll see where he ends up.

I don't think Boone is a douche at all.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I don’t find Maddon as annoying as most. The fact that Cliff hates him so much is a feather in his cap as far as I’m concerned. Haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I don’t find Maddon as annoying as most. The fact that Cliff hates him so much is a feather in his cap as far as I’m concerned. Haha
    AGREED.

Regardless, I'm indifferent to Joe Maddon, I'll take it or leave it. My only knock on him is he's 65. The hole in Cliff's argument is he's only one World Series, like that's terrible, when I would take Joe Girardi as well - who as also "only" won one title. Really, I'll take any Joe.
    AGREED.

Regardless, I'm indifferent to Joe Maddon, I'll take it or leave it. My only knock on him is he's 65. The hole in Cliff's argument is he's only one World Series, like that's terrible, when I would take Joe Girardi as well - who as also "only" won one title. Really, I'll take any Joe.
    But girardi doesn’t act like he’s gods gift to baseball.
    AGREED.

He also won another pennant, which counts for something. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    AGREED.

He also won another pennant, which counts for something. 
    No matter who the manager is, though, won't be the difference in this team making the playoffs. Their only option to even think they have a shot next year is to spend, spend, spend. There's no other alternative.
    Soooo, they're keeping Kapler?
    Something new out there?

Without even considering it before, I'm starting to think if Girardi goes anywhere it's probably the Cubs.
    Something new out there?

Without even considering it before, I'm starting to think if Girardi goes anywhere it's probably the Cubs.
    No, the lack of anything out there makes me think he's staying.

The Cubs are  Girardi's number one choice for sure, it's his childhood team, he played for them, etc., but not sure he is their choice. Seems like they may want more of the David Ross, no experience kinda guy...
    I'm sure they'll hamfistfuck this thing.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    JK_Livin said:
    Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul!
    that could be interesting. Don't think it will happen though
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I've always loved Gelb's cover photo, or whatever it's called. As great as CBP is, it would've been so cool to have it right down in the heart of the city
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    someone brought this interesting stat up the other day to me. The Phillies were the last team in MLB this season to be below 500 this season when they lost to the Nats about a week ago.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

• When I open my MLB app. Ugh...
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Weeell, boom goes the dynamite 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    He can sunbathe his nads somewhere else.
    Guys is/was a joke.  You are in much better shape w/o him being manager.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Means nothing without getting rid of Klentak and MacPhail. We have nothing in the minors.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    probably the right decision.  he only had 1 year left on his contract. you basically had to re-up him or fire him.  Lots of veteran manager names being thrown about. not sure how i feel about most of them. Maddon wins but would be grating .  Showalter ehh.    I'd rather go younger than a bunch of these old guys being thrown about. Ibanez is intriguing. I doubt Girardi is coming here.  NBC Sports threw out Utley's name. I doubt he'd be interested at this point but that's a pretty interesting name.

I'm on the Maddon bus. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Gotta assume it will be Buck with his connection to the front office. I like him, but not sure it's the best one.

If they go young, Raul Ibanez or Carlos Beltran (won't happen, but I think he's going to be good)
    If they go experienced, I have said it 50 times.
    JK_Livin said:
    Means nothing without getting rid of Klentak and MacPhail. We have nothing in the minors.
    Fixer, paging Fixer.  You're not wrong.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    I'm on the Maddon bus. 
    He'll drive it off a cliff.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Gotta assume it will be Buck with his connection to the front office. I like him, but not sure it's the best one.

If they go young, Raul Ibanez or Carlos Beltran (won't happen, but I think he's going to be good)
    If they go experienced, I have said it 50 times.
    Ibanez would be kinda cool....no idea how he'll be as a manager though
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Word on the street is Curt Schilling wants the job. lol. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com