****Official Metallica thread****

Comments

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Set I
    1. The Ecstasy of Gold (Ennio Morricone cover) (performed by the San Francisco Symphony)
    2. The Call of Ktulu
    3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    4. The Day That Never Comes
    5. The Memory Remains
    6. Confusion
    7. Moth Into Flame
    8. The Outlaw Torn
    9. No Leaf Clover
    10. Halo on Fire
    Set II
    11. Scythian Suite, Op.20 , Second Movement (Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev cover) (performed by the San Francisco Symphony)
    12. Iron Foundry (Alexander Mosolov cover) (live debut)
    13. The Unforgiven III (performed by the San Francisco Symphony)
    14. All Within My Hands (acoustic)
    15. (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth (Bass part performed by San Francisco Symphony bassist)
    16. Wherever I May Roam
    17. One
    18. Master of Puppets
    19. Nothing Else Matters
    20. Enter Sandman (with 'The Frayed Ends of Sanity' outro)
    Far from S&M1. 

Where is my Unforgiven trilogy suite.
    Maybe you should have posted it on the Metallica forum instead of the Pearl Jam forum :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Was Anethesia played on the Cello?  I've actually dreamed of YoYo-Ma playing that song.
  • Was Anethesia played on the Cello?  I've actually dreamed of YoYo-Ma playing that song.
    It looked like an electric Cello.
    https://youtu.be/VJ04uohmbFs
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Was Anethesia played on the Cello?  I've actually dreamed of YoYo-Ma playing that song.
    It looked like an electric Cello.
    https://youtu.be/VJ04uohmbFs
    that's fucking epic. first song on bass I ever attempted to learn. BIG MISTAKE. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Damn, good luck on your recovery James!!
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Shall we remind him if what he thought about Layne canceling a tour to try and recover?  I
  • mrussel1 said:
    Shall we remind him if what he thought about Layne canceling a tour to try and recover?  I
    dont be that guy. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Damn, good luck on your recovery James!!
    +1

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Luckily, we are finally ready today, that we no longer have to play the tough guy and deal openly with our demons.

What a blessing that James reacts and seeks for help again, instead of going through the tour and things get worse.

Fortunately, even the supposedly "very tough" ones are evolving, and in retrospect, James is certainly upset about the one or other bad comment he made during his career.

So good luck for his recovery… everything else is just not so important at the moment. 

By the way, I saw them playing, when he was really at his worst, it was just awful and terrifying. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2019
    kce8 said:
    By the way, I saw them playing, when he was really at his worst, it was just awful and terrifying. 
    When was this?

Are you sure you just didn't heard songs from St Anger?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    dont be that guy. 
    He should apologize one day.   
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

SELF-TITLED (1991). AKA ”The Black Album” AKA ”When Metallica ended”. There are some albums that have so many classic songs and singles that it feels like a Greatest Hits album. Nevermind is one example of that - this is another. Hard to not consider this a masterpiece and Metallicas peak. Whatever those ”only Metallicas 80s albums count”-headbangers say. 
    How this gets a 5 and puppets a 3 is beyond me...

Still a good album though.  My guess would be that this album was your introduction to the band?

*edit:  I wanted to add that the solo in Unforgiven is one of Hammets finest moments.
    Hmm. Was it.. I remember listening to Master of Puppets at a friends house when I was 11-12 and looking at his Ride the Lightning poster... and before that I remember us kids choosing between a live VHS of a Metallica show and a live VHS of a Guns show to watch while drinking lemonade. Must have been like 8-9 at the time.

But ofc the songs from the Black album are in large part what you heard on MTV. They are just so perfectly crafted. As I said, sounds like a Greatest Hits album. Like Nevermind and Ten also does.

I will say that Metallicas greatest release all in all though is:

Good lord man!! That’s a giant hunk of shit!! Nice to have all those great songs but the symphony shoe horned in is just awful.

I give your opinion on this and MoP 0 stars.
    kce8 said:
    When was this?

Are you sure you just didn't heard songs from St Anger?
    :rofl: 

Well, it was before St. Anger... ;)  I guess maybe around 1999 
  • DewieCox said:

SELF-TITLED (1991). AKA ”The Black Album” AKA ”When Metallica ended”. There are some albums that have so many classic songs and singles that it feels like a Greatest Hits album. Nevermind is one example of that - this is another. Hard to not consider this a masterpiece and Metallicas peak. Whatever those ”only Metallicas 80s albums count”-headbangers say. 

Still a good album though.  My guess would be that this album was your introduction to the band?

*edit:  I wanted to add that the solo in Unforgiven is one of Hammets finest moments.
    Hmm. Was it.. I remember listening to Master of Puppets at a friends house when I was 11-12 and looking at his Ride the Lightning poster... and before that I remember us kids choosing between a live VHS of a Metallica show and a live VHS of a Guns show to watch while drinking lemonade. Must have been like 8-9 at the time.

But ofc the songs from the Black album are in large part what you heard on MTV. They are just so perfectly crafted. As I said, sounds like a Greatest Hits album. Like Nevermind and Ten also does.

Good lord man!! That’s a giant hunk of shit!! Nice to have all those great songs but the symphony shoe horned in is just awful.

doesnt feel shoehorned
    DewieCox said:

Luckily we can all keep our own music taste!

I wouldn't go so far to say that S&M is Metallica's greatest release, I wouldn't even be able to find out which one I like the most.

Even though in my opinion S&M is a little masterpiece of music. Alone because it shows the diversity of music and how great it can be or what you can make with it. I just love metal/rock played with orchestra.
    Remember the days when people were struggling with the black record first, just because it seemed to be too commercial..? In fact, we loved it. What a waste of time. 

I learned to love different styles of music. My taste has changed a lot over the years. I mean I still love Pearl Jam and they've changed a lot, too. It's all natural, right!?
    Nowadays, I absolutely enjoy listening to bands that cover songs from other bands from different music backgrounds. It's pretty cool to see them interpret these songs. I also like it when Eddie sings songs of or with other bands/singers. Alone his covers have introduced me to a lot of new stuff I really appreciate today. 

It is the variety that makes life fun! 
    I wouldn't say "we loved it".  Lots of people disliked it.   I can't stand it.  
    DewieCox said:

doesnt feel shoehorned
    Maybe, but it sounds shoehorned.
  • DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

doesnt feel shoehorned
    I hate your avatar. because I didnt buy that vinyl when it for a while was being sold for 14 dollars here in Sweden (I think anxioty whether to buy the deluxe boxset instead stopped me). 

And now I dont have it. And dont want to much how much it costs today. 

great album. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dont be that guy. 
    to whom?
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    Love the Black Album
    Love Load
    Love S&M

Can't stand anything since then.
    Good luck, James.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dont be that guy. 
    to whom?
    To Laynes family,  Jerry,  and everyone who has had addiction change the course of their life.  That's a good start. he should also apologize to the public for being a hypocrite.  I know none of this will happen unless their manager figures out a way to monetize an apology. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dont be that guy. 
    to whom?
    To Laynes family,  Jerry,  and everyone who has had addiction change the course of their life.  That's a good start. he should also apologize to the public for being a hypocrite.  I know none of this will happen unless their manager figures out a way to monetize an apology. 
    He's played with AIC. He's interviewed them. 

I think they're cool.
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

doesnt feel shoehorned
    I hate your avatar. because I didnt buy that vinyl when it for a while was being sold for 14 dollars here in Sweden (I think anxioty whether to buy the deluxe boxset instead stopped me). 

great album. 

Just checked on amazon over here and it’s $23 and readily available.
  • DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

doesnt feel shoehorned

great album. 

Just checked on amazon over here and it’s $23 and readily available.
    Not available at all in Sweden.

But will check Discogs. Great album.
  • Love the Black Album
    Love Load
    Love S&M

Good luck, James.
    Hardwired has some bangers on it.  Now that We are Dead is fantastic.  Listen to it on a good sound system.
  • Love the Black Album
    Love Load
    Love S&M

Good luck, James.
    Hardwired has some bangers on it.  Now that We are Dead is fantastic.  Listen to it on a good sound system.
    Nice song. 

https://youtu.be/QlF4rhAbwyc

• Sad news. I always just figured he's been sober since Some Kind Of Monster. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Sad news. I always just figured he's been sober since Some Kind Of Monster. 
    so did i. that touring schedule must be killer on an addict. i can't imagine. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD