Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    dignin said:
    I will be voting for a progressive candidate, not sure which one yet (unfortunately my vote won't matter in my always go conservative riding). 

If voting strategic in my riding was an option, I most definitely would vote ABC.

Scheer and the conservatives don't represent my values.
    Thanks for your insights dignin and HFD.

Dignin, I guess you and I balance out, since my riding almost always goes Liberal, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Maybe if we had rep by pop things would be a little more balanced and not so binary. But the Libs and Cons won’t go for that because they like a two party system 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    erebus said:
    Maybe if we had rep by pop things would be a little more balanced and not so binary. But the Libs and Cons won’t go for that because they like a two party system 
    Apparently Justin’s preference was a ranked ballot, and when that wasn’t the preferred option with the public that’s what killed that campaign promise.

I actually like our system, the only real tweak I might make would be fewer party-whipped votes so that individual constituencies can (perhaps) be better represented.

• facing facts....having both ford and sheer in power along with the donald just south of us is just bad news waiting to happen!!
    people should be afraid of that. imo
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    You started off your argument by saying facing facts And finished it by inserting it’s your opinion. What facts are you talking about or are your opinions the facts.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Racism is running through all political parties. Canada has always been a lot more racist than people think and  it runs right to the top of the Liberal party that is proven now.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Racism is running through all political parties. Canada has always been a lot more racist than people think and  it runs right to the top of the Liberal party that is proven now.
    You literally just finished calling someone out for calling opinion fact. Seriously?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    benjs said:
    You literally just finished calling someone out for calling opinion fact. Seriously?
    HAHAHA. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    facing facts....having both ford and sheer in power along with the donald just south of us is just bad news waiting to happen!!
    people should be afraid of that. imo
    Agreed, and I am.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Are others allowed to be equally scared of a second Trudeau mandate, lol?

I don't personally see why they would be, considering the context of this particular concern, but obviously nobody can allow or disallow fears, so the question is moot.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't personally see why they would be, considering the context of this particular concern, but obviously nobody can allow or disallow fears, so the question is moot.
    From my point of view, I’m incredibly concerned what other laws a second Trudeau government would surreptitiously change to the benefit of rich lobbyists.

Along your lines, I also worry that Trudeau will ultimately capitulate to your provincial government’s desire to kill the TMX expansion, giving all of us a $4.5 billion dud.

The question is far from moot, and we all sound like we’ve drank our respective koolaids, lol.

edited September 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    From my point of view, I’m incredibly concerned what other laws a second Trudeau government would surreptitiously change to the benefit of rich lobbyists.

Along your lines, I also worry that Trudeau will ultimately capitulate to your provincial government’s desire to kill the TMX expansion, giving all of us a $4.5 billion dud.

The question is far from moot, and we all sound like we’ve drank our respective koolaids, lol.
    No, that isn't the context that I was talking about though. I'm talking specifically about a much bigger picture than that - basically the slow rebirth of a modern brand of right wing fascism that we're seeing in various countries. That is a LOT scarier than they kinds of things you're talking about, don't you think? What Trump has going on and what we're afraid of spreading is objectively worse and scarier than what you're saying you're concerned about, no?
    FWIW, there is no fucking way in hell that pipeline isn't happening, unfortunately, as I'm very much against it. Trudeau fucked up big time approving that one instead of the northern pipeline. If he hadn't done that, the country would be $4.5 billion richer right now. Also, Trudeau will have NOTHING to do with it if that pipeline doesn't happen. He is clearly not capitulating (if you have been convinced that that is a possibility, indeed you are drinking some strong kool-aid). Literally the only thing that would stop that pipeline right now is the courts. It is solely in their hands now. Also, if Trudeau doesn't win, Scheer will, and obviously the Cons will benefit rich lobbyists, and not surreptitiously.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    edited September 2019
    PJ Soul, as much as I’d like to address your comment, I realized I have no business posting right now, my apologies.

I’m offering this only by way of explanation, I spent yesterday and now today holding a friend’s hand (literally and figuratively) through a serious health issue that currently finds me waiting in a hospital while she has an ultrasound and waits for a blood transfusion to begin.

It was me that shouldn’t have stuck my nose in, hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to rejoin the discussion. For now I’ll stick to reading and not posting.

Again, my fault for ducking out, and I apologize, thanks in advance.

Quick edit for a misspelled word. Lack of sleep and food are taking their toll on me, I think.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

PJ Soul, as much as I’d like to address your comment, I realized I have no business posting right now, my apologies.

I’m offering this only by was of explanation, I spent yesterday and now today holding a friend’s hand (literally and figuratively) through a serious health issue that currently finds me waiting in a hospital while she has an ultrasound and waits for a blood transfusion to begin.

It was me that shouldn’t have stuck my nose in, hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to rejoin the discussion. For now I’ll stick to reading and not posting.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that - I hope your friend recovers quickly and well.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

I’m offering this only by way of explanation, I spent yesterday and now today holding a friend’s hand (literally and figuratively) through a serious health issue that currently finds me waiting in a hospital while she has an ultrasound and waits for a blood transfusion to begin.

Quick edit for a misspelled word. Lack of sleep and food are taking their toll on me, I think.
    Best wishes to you and your friend for what you two are going through. You are always welcome to post. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Best wishes to you and your friend for what you two are going through. You are always welcome to post. 
    ^^This.

I would also like to add that i appreciate your sane conservative voice around here Darth. Wish you and your friend well.
    PJ_Soul said:

I’m offering this only by was of explanation, I spent yesterday and now today holding a friend’s hand (literally and figuratively) through a serious health issue that currently finds me waiting in a hospital while she has an ultrasound and waits for a blood transfusion to begin.

dignin said:

^^This.

I would also like to add that i appreciate your sane conservative voice around here Darth. Wish you and your friend well.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that - I hope your friend recovers quickly and well.
    Thanks everyone, it’s very much appreciated, I’ll pass along your well wishes (some other friends arrived so I’m getting some breakfast).

dignin said:

^^This.

agreed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Had a nice lighter moment that I didn’t realize I needed, lol.

As my friend was waiting for her technician to come and start the transfusion another patient came into the room to be disconnected from his machine.  He commented to the room that there was a nice smell here, it smelled like healing, said looking straight at me. I suggested someone (me) needed to do their laundry (Half-Baked reference) and he agreed. Last time I inadvertently bring pot into a hospital though, lol.

So far, so good, she’s getting some of her colour back already (maybe it’s all in my mind, admittedly).

Thanks again everyone for the kind words and support, we both appreciate it.

Another debate Trudeau is missing.  What’s the cowherd afraid?  His record?  His racism?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Just a quick update then we can get back to politics, thanks again everyone.

After 18 and a half hours she was discharged and is doing much better, now she needs to make some changes to her habits. I shared your comments and she says thanks as well.

I probably won’t rejoin the discussions until tomorrow (something about famous last words applies I suspect, lol). My brain’s still not firing on all cylinders, so I’d rather hold back a minute (some might suggest I’ve always got a misfiring cylinder anyways, lol).

So thanks again everyone, it’s moments like this that justify paying membership dues here (in addition to following one of my favourite bands, lol). Thanks also to HFD for sharing in another thread, the song put a lump in my throat and a sniffle in my nose, in a good way.

All the best, Sandy.

After 18 and a half hours she was discharged and is doing much better, now she needs to make some changes to her habits. I shared your comments and she says thanks as well.

I probably won’t rejoin the discussions until tomorrow (something about famous last words applies I suspect, lol). My brain’s still not firing on all cylinders, so I’d rather hold back a minute (some might suggest I’ve always got a misfiring cylinder anyways, lol).

So thanks again everyone, it’s moments like this that justify paying membership dues here (in addition to following one of my favourite bands, lol). Thanks also to HFD for sharing in another thread, the song put a lump in my throat and a sniffle in my nose, in a good way.

All the best, Sandy.
    Good to hear she is doing much better!!
    You'll find everyone in the DT or impeachment thread when you come back. :lol:;)

All the best, Sandy.
    you're most welcome. his music isn't always my cup of tea, but often times when it is, it has the same effect. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Haven’t posted here in a while, mostly because I don’t want to be a part of the divisive nature of politics anymore. People just aren’t listening to each other....
    But I wanted to say I’m not a fan of these gun lobbyists trying to tell me that my personal freedom is tied to whether or not I have the right to own a military assault rifle.  My right is to be in public and feel safe that one whack job doesn’t open fire on me and a bunch of strangers around me. 
    While all parties and their leaders have faults, the fact that the Liberals are promising to outlaw ownership of these to civilians has me thinking. I’m not a fan of the Mr. Dressup and SNC scandals, but Cyril Scheer is in the pocket of the fun lobbyists and is making promises to circumvent the Canadian legal system to get pipelines approved and that rhetoric doesn’t fly with me. 
    I just don’t feel Elizabeth May is a true leader although I strongly support climate change initiatives.
    I wish the NDP inspired me more. All the promises are about spending more money, and that will become problematic. Just my opinions. 

Now do you want to send people camping at a cost of 2000.  Running 20 billion deficits but we will pay for people’s holidays.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    As Minassian’s trial is about to start, a transcript of his four hour initial police interview has been released, showing him to be deep in the incel culture. 

https://apple.news/AMhuElJ76Q6msSxV6_SKoTw
  • Scheer's the only one not at a climate march today. Should we be surprised? 
    Scheer's the only one not at a climate march today. Should we be surprised? 

Surely Mr. "mentally unstable" Bernier is not at a climate march?
    Reportedly the RCMP will today release their report on the homicides that led to the search for the two fugitives this summer.