I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

That anti-static brush and stylus cleaner are a good ideas!

When you're ready for an upgrade for the LP cleaner, perhaps consider Spin Clean.  I'm super happy with mine.  The only thing I would recommend with that product is get a few extra drying cloths and make sure not to use fabric softener or sheets when washing and drying them.  I hand wash mine in Woolite and hang dry them. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I want to buy the Okki Nokki cleaner.  That looks hot rod.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I want to buy the Okki Nokki cleaner.  That looks hot rod.
    I have it.  It works fantastic. Turns dirty records into shiny gems.  It's loud, and big.  Not the easiest to store, but definitely a worthwhile investment particularly with sensitive equipment.  My speakers pick up every flaw.  
    $549  Obviously some of you here are in a higher tax bracket than some others of us.  :lol: 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Here are a couple of 7" beauties I picked up today at Dimples in Folsom.  I was surprised they still had these this late in there closing sale.  This first one is a must have for me.  The two songs are off the album Here and Now by Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey, both formerly from the very cool, sadly little known band, The dBs (check out the song "Amplifier"!)  These are amazing songs and sound fantastic on 7" vinyl, especially considering the album itself is only available on CD (a shame!).  "My Friend the Sun" is beautiful and "Broken Record" sounds just like it's title at the end.  VERY cool!  

And this 7"  is so cool because this band (as of 2016) has still been going strong after 40 years.  The Fleshtones, "Ama Como un Hombre" (Love like a man) b/w "Ama Mass".  Muy Bueno!

• brianlux said:
    $549  Obviously some of you here are in a higher tax bracket than some others of us.  :lol: 

That is the one I want, lol.
    brianlux said:

That is the one I want, lol.
    No cover with that one, which is needed.   You can get them for under 5 with a cover, especially if you go to a local store.  
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    I have it.  It works fantastic. Turns dirty records into shiny gems.  It's loud, and big.  Not the easiest to store, but definitely a worthwhile investment particularly with sensitive equipment.  My speakers pick up every flaw.  
    Yep the Okki Nokki is where its at. Love mine, also have the spin clean. For super dirty garage sale finds Ill give em a bath in the spin clean before they hit the Okki. Zerodust is a great stylus cleaner if your willing to pay up a little.
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yep the Okki Nokki is where its at. Love mine, also have the spin clean. For super dirty garage sale finds Ill give em a bath in the spin clean before they hit the Okki. Zerodust is a great stylus cleaner if your willing to pay up a little.
    Zerodust is worth every penny of the 35 bucks for it.  There's no safer way to keep the needle safely clean that I've found.  Plus it seems like it will last forever.  

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zerodust is worth every penny of the 35 bucks for it.  There's no safer way to keep the needle safely clean that I've found.  Plus it seems like it will last forever.  
    I checked out Zerodust  on Needle Doctor.  That looks like a good item to have!

• So I just noticed my Long May You Run record is really wobbly. Like the needle is going up and down skislops.

Can you straighten an album out? Having it under a heavy weight for some time or something?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    So I just noticed my Long May You Run record is really wobbly. Like the needle is going up and down skislops.

Can you straighten an album out? Having it under a heavy weight for some time or something?
    Record clamp is the only solution I know. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited September 2019
    So I just noticed my Long May You Run record is really wobbly. Like the needle is going up and down skislops.

https://www.vinylflat.com/ssl/

You will never have another warped record ever.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • MedozK said:

You ever use this?
    MedozK said:

That sounds like a safe way to go.  A poor musician friend of mine (sadly, so many of them are poor) tells me that putting a record between two flat, heavy objects and leaving it outside on a hot day works well.  Never tried it myself.  If I get a record that is warped, I ask to return it.

• brianlux said:
    MedozK said:

That sounds like a safe way to go.  A poor musician friend of mine (sadly, so many of them are poor) tells me that putting a record between two flat, heavy objects and leaving it outside on a hot day works well.  Never tried it myself.  If I get a record that is warped, I ask to return it.
    Haha, too late for hot days here in Sweden. 

Maybe put it betweeen two heavy objects and in the oven...

That thing is quite expensive, cheaper to just rebuy the album.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Recently picked this one up- an excellent collection of outtakes from over the years by the late great singer/songwriter/musician J.J. Cale.  The songs are not inferior to what Cale was doing when he made these, they just didn't fit well with what he was doing at the times he made them.  This collection actually would make a great place to start with Cale.  A really fine 2 LP collection.

• madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Tool - Undertow (1999 repress)
    AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    The Weeks - Two Moons
    Lumineers - III

Also just unboxed my new U Turn orbit turntable. Loving it.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

listened to some of it yesterday. didn't grab me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

listened to some of it yesterday. didn't grab me. 
    Im 7 songs in.  Really enjoying it.  

You really love the soundtracks, don't you?  Did you see all of the different variations for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?  Looked pretty good. Very 'pop' late 60's though, so not as much my thing.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    You really love the soundtracks, don't you?  Did you see all of the different variations for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?  Looked pretty good. Very 'pop' late 60's though, so not as much my thing.  
    Batman and Clockwork Orange I mostly bought because they were in the impulse-buy range (~$5) but yes, I enjoy older soundtracks from the 40s/50s like Casablanca, Hitchcock-movies etc and horror soundtracks. Soothing to put on.

Obviously instead of buying a bunch of cheap, worn records you should/could invest in something you really want but which is a bit more expensive.

You never buy soundtracks? The Once upon in Hollywood soundtrack is nice - with the clips from actual radio djs from the 60s introducing the songs. I've listened to it on Spotify and listened to QTs podcast breaking the soundtrack down. 

I own Reservoir Dogs on vinyl and CD. And I think I have an old CD of Pulp Fiction too.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    At 8 or 9 i had no clue how dirty Prince’s Batdance song was.   I crack up thinking we used to sing that