8:46 am on a tuesday

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    wife and I were chatting about this morning in the car on the way to work and dropping the kids off at school. She was talking about a well known local radio dj who was talking about it, and he started to openly weep on air remembering it. 

my oldest daughter said "wait, yesterday was 9/11?". I was VERY disappointed in their teachers. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    My wife and I watched 2 documentaries on HBO about it. Both only about 30 minutes long and were pretty good. But I really liked one of them, I forget the name, but they mostly interview young kids and talk about what it means to them and show how they are learning about it. Unfortunately a lot of kids 12 or 13 and younger don't really grasp or understand what happened. It is pretty sad.

The other one was good too, it interview about 8 or so kids from a high school just a few blocks away and talked about their experiences. It is getting some backlash for not talking about the health problems walking to school every day for a year while the pile of debris was still smoldering and putting off toxic fumes, especially since one of those interviewed died  from cancer a few months after filming 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I think it's completely normal and expected that young kids wouldn't grasp what happened and what it means, and in fact in some ways it's a good thing. I don't believe we need to work hard to burden young kids with the enormity of such loss and all the consequences, both to the US and the rest of the world. We can certainly teach it, but they will never have the emotional connection that those who lived through it had, because that's unrealistic. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I think it's completely normal and expected that young kids wouldn't grasp what happened and what it means, and in fact in some ways it's a good thing. I don't believe we need to work hard to burden young kids with the enormity of such loss and all the consequences, both to the US and the rest of the world. We can certainly teach it, but they will never have the emotional connection that those who lived through it had, because that's unrealistic. 
    I'm not expecting them to have the same emotional attachment we do, as I didn't have it with any of the other global catastrophes that I wasn't around for. But I thought they'd teach it, especially with how it ties in with the how it affects a TON of our current socio-political climate and discussion. Especially with how many refugees our school takes in. it's really quite relevant. I would expect at least my daughter's grade 8 class to discuss it, maybe not my daughter's grade 5 class. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    mace1229 said:
    My wife and I watched 2 documentaries on HBO about it. Both only about 30 minutes long and were pretty good. But I really liked one of them, I forget the name, but they mostly interview young kids and talk about what it means to them and show how they are learning about it. Unfortunately a lot of kids 12 or 13 and younger don't really grasp or understand what happened. It is pretty sad.

The other one was good too, it interview about 8 or so kids from a high school just a few blocks away and talked about their experiences. It is getting some backlash for not talking about the health problems walking to school every day for a year while the pile of debris was still smoldering and putting off toxic fumes, especially since one of those interviewed died  from cancer a few months after filming 
    They aired a couple of documentaries here to mark the anniversary.
    One of those was 102 Minutes That Changed America. A very disturbing documentary.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I wonder if Iraq and Afghanistan have a day where they can mourn the millions killed by the US following 9/11.  You can knock off the "woe is me" anytime...what America did post 9/11 was disgusting.
    We know you hate the United States.  We get it.  But can you find one instance, ever, that you could just be supportive of ANYONE other than yourself?  Because this isn't the fucking time nor place.  You're like a damn hockey ref, always calling the retaliation, but never the instigator.
    I'm not expecting them to have the same emotional attachment we do, as I didn't have it with any of the other global catastrophes that I wasn't around for. But I thought they'd teach it, especially with how it ties in with the how it affects a TON of our current socio-political climate and discussion. Especially with how many refugees our school takes in. it's really quite relevant. I would expect at least my daughter's grade 8 class to discuss it, maybe not my daughter's grade 5 class. 

Well, sure, I agree we should teach it. It wasn't really your post I was referring to. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I've had so many stories related to 9/11 over the years (Lots of people in our town commute to NYC).  Yesterday I was teaching 9/11 to my 6th grade class and I always open with does anybody have any personal stories, what do you know about the day, etc.  We go around the room for about ten minutes then all of a sudden I look over and one of my students is crying.  I say to her, you ok, what's wrong, did you personal connection to this day? etc.  She said her dad and uncle worked on the computer systems on the 92nd floor of  the South Tower.  For some reason they decided to call out that day.  She cried out, what if they hadn't called out?  I wouldn't have been here!
    My eyes started to fill up.  So many crazy stories from that day.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:

One of those was 102 Minutes That Changed America. A very disturbing documentary.

I usually watch a few documentaries. Most are several years old by now. I've seen that 102 minutes one. All are sad. Don't think I've watched one that wasn't worth watching. But the 2 I mentioned on HBO had a different take on it. One being watching kids learn about it, the other strictly focused on high school kids from a school just a couple blocks away.

I enjoy the ones that follow survivors and what they went through. Some of the ones who just focus on the death are sometimes too sad for me.

I started another new one on History Channel, that was about what Air Force One was doing. Am about halfway through it, but its pretty interesting so far. It shows how poor the communication was from the White House, to NORAD and other high military. They were all confused and just confused each other more.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I usually watch a few documentaries. Most are several years old by now. I've seen that 102 minutes one. All are sad. Don't think I've watched one that wasn't worth watching. But the 2 I mentioned on HBO had a different take on it. One being watching kids learn about it, the other strictly focused on high school kids from a school just a couple blocks away.

I enjoy the ones that follow survivors and what they went through. Some of the ones who just focus on the death are sometimes too sad for me.

I started another new one on History Channel, that was about what Air Force One was doing. Am about halfway through it, but its pretty interesting so far. It shows how poor the communication was from the White House, to NORAD and other high military. They were all confused and just confused each other more.
    I showed this 12 minute doc yesterday.  My main emphasis was on such a terrible day people came together and helped each other out without question.  Tom Hanks narrates.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDOrzF7B2Kg&fbclid=IwAR2ZDQqIhIdTDnZ0IPTf4l7m-dgXmOmwGpkDE5olPQnZ4xLoPE9_F7Fj3XA
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    edited September 2019
    if you all care to , stop here and check it out. they fill in the gaps where the fund and insurance fail....

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    For those of us who were in DC, Shanksville, NYC and its environs. For those of us who felt it, heard it, saw it, smelled it. For those who lost loved ones that day. It's a completely different set of feelings and emotions from those who were hundreds and thousands  of miles away and only saw it on tv.
    Not better or worse just different.

For those who blame America for what happened F.U
    For those who blame Americans F.U.
    For those who blame the Jews/Israel F.U.
    For those who say it was the U.S. govt. F.U.
    And for those who claim it didn't happen you get the biggest F.U.
    For those of us who were in DC, Shanksville, NYC and its environs. For those of us who felt it, heard it, saw it, smelled it. For those who lost loved ones that day. It's a completely different set of feelings and emotions from those who were hundreds and thousands  of miles away and only saw it on tv.

There is a 9/11 conspiracy theorist around my parts who writes all sorts of bizarre comments on the sidewalks and bike paths in coloured chalk on 9/11 every year. I cycled over some of those yesterday and caught a bit of the dreck he was broadcasting from a speaker. I did not see anyone engaging with him, just him standing alone. My own feeling is that it’s best to just ignore him, since arguing just fuels the fire. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    pjhawks said:
    The truth hurts.  Navy seals could have found bin laden with minimal loss of life.  If was so damn. important to some of you, why did you not leave your cushy life and join the fight?  Likely not, but sending kids to die in a bullshit war is OK.  At least after Pearl Harbour people left their cushy jobs to join the fight, and those that could not, sacrifice in some way back home.

While the US was bombing the shit out of 2 countries most of you were leading nice comfortable lives.  None of you's sacrificed much is my bet.  But hey, at least 1 a year you remember...
    Classless post.  This is as clean as I can make my point to you without getting banned
    Just what we should expect from this person.  

Not a good person - this is yet another thread where this is made obvious.
    Why the ignore function is so nice...never saw the posts...
    It's a hopeless situation...

well said.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    The truth hurts.  Navy seals could have found bin laden with minimal loss of life.  If was so damn. important to some of you, why did you not leave your cushy life and join the fight?  Likely not, but sending kids to die in a bullshit war is OK.  At least after Pearl Harbour people left their cushy jobs to join the fight, and those that could not, sacrifice in some way back home.

While the US was bombing the shit out of 2 countries most of you were leading nice comfortable lives.  None of you's sacrificed much is my bet.  But hey, at least 1 a year you remember...
    Classless post.  This is as clean as I can make my point to you without getting banned

Why the ignore function is so nice...never saw the posts...
    I do still see it when he is quoted...  Need to learn to just see who posts and not read.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • I saw the post. I have nothing nice to say and would prefer to retain my posting privileges ... for a while anyhow. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    pjhawks said:

This kinda makes me angry.  on 9/11. 10,000 innocents died.  after that still countless  others have suffered and died.  

but after 9/11 1,000,000 lost their lives.  were they all terrorists?  You're ok with that?  US and allies bombed the shit out of innocent people.

so much I could say, but too many beers. 

@pjhawks want to call me names?  pm me call me anything you want.  I can take it

Smellyman said:
    pjhawks said:

This kinda makes me angry.  on 9/11. 10,000 innocents died.  after that still countless  others have suffered and died.  

but after 9/11 1,000,000 lost their lives.  were they all terrorists?  You're ok with that?  US and allies bombed the shit out of innocent people.

@pjhawks want to call me names?  pm me call me anything you want.  I can take it

they are separate issues that need to be dealt with in different threads. we're all outraged at the iraq war and the repercussions from that. but that wasn't the fault of the victims of 9/11. this thread is about them. not about the US governments reaction/excuses for said reaction. come on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,710
    edited September 2019
    There  are no winners  only losers
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Smellyman said:
    pjhawks said:

Take it somewhere else. and maybe lay off the drinking and posting schtick, at least in this thread. It isn't becoming.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Next up we'll lay in to the parents of the kids being slaughtered in mass shootings because they are Americans and all have blood on their hands. Might as well just blow up the fucking world.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Smellyman said:
    pjhawks said:

Pretty much what others said.
    Nobody argued for the wars or for others to lose their lives.  This is a thread to remember the thousands who died on 9-11.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Never forget
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just taught 9/11 to my first period class and even though it has been 18 years it doesn't get any easier.   I can not watch the towers coming down, I have to look away.
    there is no way I could teach about that day. just don't think i could get the words out right or keep from crying if i tried.  it's so strange to me that it's already been 18 years.  freshmen in college are the last ones born before this happened. it is kind of crazy that there are kids in high school who weren't even born when this happened.  time has gone by so damn fast

Last year at this time, I asked the girl who buses tables at wing night if she knew anything about 9/11.  She said "Not really, they taught us a little bit about it in school every year on the day, but that was it."  It's crazy knowing there are functioning high school & college kids who have little to no clue about this day, let alone it's significance.
    Rest in Peace to all those fallen.  A big thank you to Jon Stewart for his emotional speech regarding the Victim's Compensation Fund.  Thank you to Congress for listening and extending the program. We still need to do better.
    Not to sound crass but did you have any emotional attachment to Iwo Jima?  D-Day? The Enola Gay?

It's the same for these kids now as they have no emotional attachment.  

I never thought that our generation would have a moment like that.  I'm hoping future generations don't have to have one either.
    Oh I know.  Mine would have been the Vietman War, I guess (born in '77).  I was just thinking it's crazy that it's already been that long ago that we've gotten to grown kids/young adults not knowing about it.  It just doesn't seem that long ago.
    This puts the whole "I can't believe how long ago it's been" thing in perspective for me. I was born in 78. So, yeah, 9/11 now is kind of like what Vietnam was to us when we were in high school give or take a few years, I guess. Vietnam always seemed like something from a million years ago so I guess I can understand how kids don't have a connection or know much about 9/11 nowadays. The difference is, obviously, that 9/11 happened here and stuff but still...

I always like to think of things in terms of this for other things too. Like tv shows. Seinfeld is over 30 years old at this point. So a high school kid watching a Seinfeld rerun today would be the same thing as me watching an I Love Lucy rerun in the mid 90's. That shit blows my mind for some reason.

Fuck. Getting old sucks. 

Anyway---RIP to all those who died on 9/11. Again......I still cannot believe it's been this long. Crazy. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I may have posted it before, but something I remember distinctly is 9/12.  People were just...kind to each other.

Considerate.  No posturing.  Not being the usual asshole.  Humbled, hurt, together.  Race, religion, money, all that shit - no matter (for most, anyway).

Little by little things went back to "normal", but that day, locking eyes with someone - that look shared - spoke volumes.
  • Smellyman said:
    pjhawks said:

they are separate issues that need to be dealt with in different threads. we're all outraged at the iraq war and the repercussions from that. but that wasn't the fault of the victims of 9/11. this thread is about them. not about the US governments reaction/excuses for said reaction. come on. 
    Exactly. Plenty of other opportunities to shit on the US and the Iraq war. This isn’t one of them. Surely anyone can understand that. There aren’t enough beers in the world to make a nice normal person that big of an asshole are there?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Smellyman said:
    pjhawks said:

nah, i just want people to understand thread integrity. i don't disparage your thoughts, just the placement of said thoughts
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054

That smell. I wish I had not been told what it was- it lasted for weeks.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:
    Bay of Pigs
    JFK
    RFK
    MLK
    Vietnam
    Love Canal
    Space Shuttle Challenger
    Exxon Valdez
    Chernobyl
    Bhopal
    Kuwaiti Oil Fires
    Irag
    Afghanistan
    9/11
    Deepwater Horizon
    Fukushima

I remember them all, each as horrible in their own way.

November 8, 2016
    Yes, one of the worst!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.