The National Football League

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Also wonder if he will be back in a year..
    I doubt it.  He is a little different than the typical NFL player.  I could see him becoming an engineer or something.  If he loved the game he wouldn’t have quit.  Who would have thought a golfer from Stanford has more toughness in his right pinky finger than a quarterback from Stanford.

Let me know when that golfer takes hits from 230+ pound men...comparing the toughness a football player to golf seems like a strange comparison. 

Mental toughness.
    LMFAO...It is his body and if he is in constant pain and feels it may just get worse then he made the right decision for him and his family.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Also wonder if he will be back in a year..
    I doubt it.  He is a little different than the typical NFL player.  I could see him becoming an engineer or something.  If he loved the game he wouldn’t have quit.  Who would have thought a golfer from Stanford has more toughness in his right pinky finger than a quarterback from Stanford.

Let me know when that golfer takes hits from 230+ pound men...comparing the toughness a football player to golf seems like a strange comparison. 

Mental toughness.
    But again....Luck has to deal with injuries and getting tackled.  The golfer has to deal with walking a few hundred yards to take his next shot.

There is no comparison that makes sense here.

Tiger couldn't sit without pain.  Had to be helped out of bed.   He fought through it all to win a major in the most competitive time the sport has ever seen where there is little to no margin for error.  He didn't give up.  Sure, it is easier when you know that no one is going to tackle you. 

Andrew Luck is retiring because he doesn't want to put in the time to rehab a weird ankle injury.  I find it difficult to believe he couldn't have come back from this ankle issue to play next year.  I'm not a doctor though. He's a smart guy that would rather do something else now.  He has money that other players didn't and so they had to keep going.   I don't think he is scared of getting hit by a linebacker.  He just didn't have the drive like a Tiger, a Favre, a Peyton, a Brady, etc... to keep going after injuries.   I think if you get paid millions there is more expected of you.  "Sorry, you are going to have a knee replacement when you are 43 years old.  Enjoy your recovery time on the yacht."

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    DewieCox said:
    Those Colt fans at that game were disgusting. He does not owe anyone an explanation.  Luck should be commended for putting health over a career in the NFL, a league in which its own commissioner does not even support the players in the league...

He certainly didn’t deserve some triumphant exit. If he’s not in it then he’s not in it, so good for him for making the decision he thinks is best, but the butthurt over a a few fans booing about the most shocking news that can happen within the sports world has been ridiculous. 
    I do not consider an often-injured quarterback retiring all that shocking.  
    You don’t consider the retirement of an MVP candidate, on a team expected to compete strongly for a SB and on the eve of the season shocking? Congrats!! You’re the only person in the industrialized world with that opinion.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Worth a post today. This was such a crazy comeback. 

https://youtu.be/mQskgXwhKI4
    Good ol’ Andy. Throwing nonstop with a 3 touchdown lead. I called that comeback early 
    This game used to haunt me.  I made a scene in a downtown bar in Milwaukee after the fumble, recovery and TD.  At that point, I knew it was inevitable.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Andrew luck is a hero. Play the game and walk away with $50 million and his head. God fucking bless that guy. 
    Seems like theft to me (obviously not legally theft).   A hero if you are jealous of people getting rich.  Not a hero if you care about the Colts and football.  Favre wouldn't do this.  Manning wouldn't do this.  Nobody would have done this actually.   I get the why but he knew the risks and took the money.  Huge bait and switch.   He should pay some of it back (not gonna happen I know).

Favre is an imbecile and junkie and a loser

take that back!!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    I’m sure he’d continue if he could, who wants to live like Earl Campbell... 

he should have changed his game a little, but you are what you are

I have a feeling Big Ben should join him, that dudes been hit like a piñata too

hes just not too bright like Luck
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Semi surprised by this..As a number one pick overall, will he be considered a bust?
    Absolutely a bust, people thought he was going to be the next Peyton Manning and he ended up winning 4 playoff games. 2012 was a crazy draft class for qbs when you look back. Luck, Griffin III, Tannehill, Weeden, and Osweiler were all drafted in the 1st round and all underachieved to put it lightly. Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, and Kirk Cousins were all drafted in the 3rd round or later and turned out to be the most productive and long lasting. Never forget...

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Semi surprised by this..As a number one pick overall, will he be considered a bust?
    Absolutely a bust, people thought he was going to be the next Peyton Manning and he ended up winning 4 playoff games. 2012 was a crazy draft class for qbs when you look back. Luck, Griffin III, Tannehill, Weeden, and Osweiler were all drafted in the 1st round and all underachieved to put it lightly. Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, and Kirk Cousins were all drafted in the 3rd round or later and turned out to be the most productive and long lasting. Never forget...

I'll take Andrew Luck over Kirk Cousins or Nick Foles.  Luck was not a bust.  When healthy, he elevated the players around him.  You have to build a lot of talent around Cousins and Foles for them to be successful. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Andrew is not realizing that it isn’t about how fast you get there.  It isn’t about what is waiting on the other side. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Not quite as shocking as MJ or Barry but still a weird one. 

Calf strains are no joke, apparently. 
    Magic Johnson was the most shocking and he killed casual sex in the 90s until Britney Spears came along and had girls dressing like hoes again.

It sucks he did it right before the season starts but can’t blame him for choosing health over a paycheck.. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Lamar Miller out for the year
    I miss igotid88
    How dumb can you be? Gottlieb a weasel & 1/2

good for Torrey Smith

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

he’ll never be a bust as long as we remember ryan leaf and jamarcus russell.

surprised the colts let him keep $25M he never played for. wouldn’t he be just fine without it?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited August 2019
    Shocked people are so crazy over this.  Should not be, I guess.
    Good for Luck.
    Bad for Colts fans.
    Good for internet people who love to criticize everything any person in the public eye does.

Agree on th $25MM
    Luck should give it to one of his charitable causes.  Surprised the colts let him keep it.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    igotid88 said:
    That’s a major blow for Houston. I don’t know what to make of Duke Johnson, but it’s a downgrade. I think for a backup he’ll be able to hold it together. Lamar has a good year last year and I was expecting equal or better this year. Plus the 2, 3 receivers coming off injures, could be trouble keeping them healthy. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Hi! said:
    igotid88 said:
    That’s a major blow for Houston. I don’t know what to make of Duke Johnson, but it’s a downgrade. I think for a backup he’ll be able to hold it together. Lamar has a good year last year and I was expecting equal or better this year. Plus the 2, 3 receivers coming off injures, could be trouble keeping them healthy. 
    With Luck gone many thought this could be the Texans division easily. Probably still is.
    I miss igotid88
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    igotid88 said:
    Hi! said:
    igotid88 said:
    With Luck gone many thought this could be the Texans division easily. Probably still is.
    Yeah, that’s a safe bet. It will be interesting to see what the Jags do. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Those Colt fans at that game were disgusting. He does not owe anyone an explanation.  Luck should be commended for putting health over a career in the NFL, a league in which its own commissioner does not even support the players in the league...
    Yes they were:

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited August 2019
    Fuck Troy Aikman. Fuck Doug Gottleib. 

Let let me ask, what kind of reception do you think Luck deserved for quitting on the eve of the season? A smattering of boos for a dude that injured his shoulder snowboarding and wouldn’t learn to get rid of the ball when pressured seems fine to me. 

Fuck Adam Schefter for needing to break the news. Not fair to anybody. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    One thing I haven't heard brought up in regards to Luck is that if he came to this decision months ago, it's likely that the Colts would have pursued Nick Foles. After all, Frank Reich was Foles' offensive coordinator in Philly. Could have been a good match. I think Luck made the right decision to retire because he wasn't all-in on football anymore. It's just too bad for Indy he came to that decision so late. They could have signed a free-agent like Foles, traded for a guy like Rosen (not advisable, but still), or try to draft a QB. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    One thing I haven't heard brought up in regards to Luck is that if he came to this decision months ago, it's likely that the Colts would have pursued Nick Foles. After all, Frank Reich was Foles' offensive coordinator in Philly. Could have been a good match. I think Luck made the right decision to retire because he wasn't all-in on football anymore. It's just too bad for Indy he came to that decision so late. They could have signed a free-agent like Foles, traded for a guy like Rosen (not advisable, but still), or try to draft a QB. 
    But the calf/ankle injury is what is motivating him to retire right?  A fairly recent issue unless I'm out of the loop completely.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    But the calf/ankle injury is what is motivating him to retire right?  A fairly recent issue unless I'm out of the loop completely.
    I think you're right that the ankle is a huge factor. He said in his press conference that the cycle of injury-rehab-injury has weighed on him mentally. So that's probably what he's talking about. He came back strong last year from an injury, and now suffered another one. That's why I'm not criticizing Luck for his timing, it's just unfortunate for the Colts. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I brought it up in the Eagles thread. Had they franchised him, like they were considering, they would've gotten an enormous haul. Reuniting the Super Bowl MVP with his offensive coordinator? Yeah I think would've been a pretty, pretty good fit.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course. So if the Eagles did franchise him, it probably would've hindered them from doing the other things they did this offseason and there would've been no guarantee of this opportunity even presenting itself. Fun to think of the possibilities though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I can understand being upset as a Colts fan in this situation.  What I don't appreciate is trashing him and calling him a bust.  It has to suck going into a season where your team has legitimate Super Bowl aspirations not just for this year, but probably for the next 5 with a healthy Andrew Luck.  That still doesn't warrant the over-the-top comments and booing him off of the field.  Take out your frustration on something else.
    I can understand being upset as a Colts fan in this situation.  What I don't appreciate is trashing him and calling him a bust.  It has to suck going into a season where your team has legitimate Super Bowl aspirations not just for this year, but probably for the next 5 with a healthy Andrew Luck.  That still doesn't warrant the over-the-top comments and booing him off of the field.  Take out your frustration on something else.
    I think people are making too big of a deal out of the booing. It's not like they were throwing rocks at him. It was just booing. I don't think Luck owes the Colts fans anything. But they don't owe him anything either. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    The thing I'm getting the most kick out of Luck's retirement is all the fantasy footballers losing their shit.
    edited August 2019
    The thing I'm getting the most kick out of Luck's retirement is all the fantasy footballers losing their shit.
    My league's rouge idiot (every league has one) used his last two picks in our draft last night to take Gronk and Luck. This was AFTER learning of Luck's retirement and knowing full-well that Gronk's retired. 

He's the only player in the 9-year history of our league to never make the playoffs....obviously. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    It really sucks rehabbing an injury.  I tore my acl and needed reconstruction/rehab and it was a long, frustrating, and painful process.  If i was a pro athlete who already netted many millions, but stuck in a cycle of serious injuries along with 24/7 speculation and criticism by everyone, along with being "encouraged" to play hurt.... i could see walking away.  Luck lost his competitive drive and desire to be in the nfl it seems, which is fine.  I applaud him for making a very tough decision.  
    Look at Durant, that calf injury turned to blown Achilles 

the thing with Luck is, old scouting reports pre combine resurfacing questing his overall love for football