Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    So the re-release of the Dead Man Soundtrack on his site is not part of the NYA series? 

His fucking Archive-project is more confusing and contains more paradoxes than the Terminator movie timeline!

Fucking shit.

i wished I had been a tad more interested when he started this and just decided that like Pearl Jam I will at least buy all the live releases (with me already owning some of the studio releases on vinyl).

But I guess being picky and just pick up the ones I really want... works too... but that made me diss Dreamin' Man because it was a compilation. Bla bla.

Grr.
    The Dead Man soundtrack is part of the NYA series. It has ORS 30 (Original Release Series) on the spine. 

The Paradox soundtrack, on the other hand, is listed as SRS 10 (Special Release Series). The only other SRS release so far has been Hitchhiker.

I don’t think the Journey Through The Past and Where The Buffalo Roam soundtracks have been included at all.

Confusing enough?!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    If I started caring about the archive classification, I would end up having to re buy albums I already owned. By deciding not to, it has saved me a lot of money.

I guess I do kinda regret not buying the vol 1 box set though. 

• goldrush said:
    So the re-release of the Dead Man Soundtrack on his site is not part of the NYA series? 

His fucking Archive-project is more confusing and contains more paradoxes than the Terminator movie timeline!

Fucking shit.

i wished I had been a tad more interested when he started this and just decided that like Pearl Jam I will at least buy all the live releases (with me already owning some of the studio releases on vinyl).

But I guess being picky and just pick up the ones I really want... works too... but that made me diss Dreamin' Man because it was a compilation. Bla bla.

Grr.
    The Dead Man soundtrack is part of the NYA series. It has ORS 30 (Original Release Series) on the spine. 

The Paradox soundtrack, on the other hand, is listed as SRS 10 (Special Release Series). The only other SRS release so far has been Hitchhiker.

I don’t think the Journey Through The Past and Where The Buffalo Roam soundtracks have been included at all.

Confusing enough?!
    Haha. Thank you.

So I guess I stick to keeping the "Special releases series" collection complete then...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • This tour should have resulted in a third "Rust-live album. Neil has never looked cooler and they sounded great (my first show was this tour)

https://youtu.be/_BO5lY_kxDQ

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    This tour should have resulted in a third "Rust-live album. Neil has never looked cooler and they sounded great (my first show was this tour)

https://youtu.be/_BO5lY_kxDQ

It would be so amazing to have a good LP or double LP of this stuff.  Pretty amazing for a bunch of guys playing rock that well at that age.  Other than Pete and Roger, almost unparalleled I think. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    This would be a noisy piece of vinyl!

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    This would be a noisy piece of vinyl!

Haha.

CANT WAIT FOR WELD! (and the new ragged glory songs)
    This masterpiece was released 25 years ago today 

(Tim Rogers)
    Well son of a bitch!  I didn't know that.  Fascinating!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

goldrush said:

25 years... wow.  That threw me for a loop.

Yeah, I love this record.  When it came out it was so heavy, after loosing Kurt and Young reference in the suicide note.  A very heavy moment.  I remember feeling the weight of that record for weeks.  I guess, really, it's always there.  A great double LP.

edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

25 years... wow.  That threw me for a loop.

Yeah, I love this record.  When it came out it was so heavy, after loosing Kurt and Young reference in the suicide note.  A very heavy moment.  I remember feeling the weight of that record for weeks.  I guess, really, it's always there.  A great double LP.
    I love this one too. It’s dark and heavy, but beautiful too. It definitely has a spiritual connection to ‘Tonight’s The Night’

As much Neil’s 70s records are spoken of as his classic era the 89-96 albums are a phenomenal run of records, and ‘Sleeps With Angels’ is right up there as one of my favourites.

Freedom
    Ragged Glory
    Weld
    Harvest Moon
    Unplugged
    Sleeps With Angels
    Mirror Ball
    Dead Man OST
    Broken Arrow
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    ‘Colorado’ will be a 3-side double LP, with a bonus 7” single

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    ‘Colorado’ will be a 3-side double LP, with a bonus 7” single

I can't wait for Colorado to be released!  And Mountaintop Sessions" too!  How great that they did it.  Wow!

Hopefully pre-orders with the single. Gonna be the first NY studio album I buy on the release day instead of waiting for a cheap Amazon stock dump. 
  • Hopefully pre-orders with the single. Gonna be the first NY studio album I buy on the release day instead of waiting for a cheap Amazon stock dump. 
    Haha. I will also buy it on release - excited! Not getting the extreme price dumps here, but sometimes you can find them dropping to 17-18 euros atleast.
  • What's the story on Silver & Gold (our of all albums) getting a re-relase a few years back? An internetstore here in Sweden has it for sale... so there must have been one? Right?
    edited August 2019
    I think its one of those records that hasn't gone out of print. Its only pressed in Europe, so it shouldn't be that hard to fine. 

• I think its one of those records that hasn't gone out of print. Its only pressed in Europe, so it shouldn't be that hard to fine. 

Ah, ok... so its still the 2000 print? The label must have really believed in it.. haha... Very affordable. Need to pick it up. Magic album. Will buy it then.

I think its one of those records that hasn't gone out of print. Its only pressed in Europe, so it shouldn't be that hard to fine. 

Ah, ok... so its still the 2000 print? The label must have really believed in it.. haha... Very affordable. Need to pick it up. Magic album. Will buy it then.

Great album.  You will love it!

• brianlux said:

Great album.  You will love it!
    Yeah. Would be swell having it on vinyl. Have it on CD. 

Cover shot with a Game Boy Camera - THE NEIL YOUNG X NINTENDO CONNECTION!
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

I picked up a Vinyl copy of Silver & Gold a while back for around $15 USD. The sound is great as was the price. Just buy it.
    Check out this excellent article about Neil from New York Times Magazine.  Well worth the read!

What a weird article.
  • (I have zero problems with Spotify's sound quality)
    What a weird article.
    What's weird about it to me is that it took so long to go into print. 

(I have zero problems with Spotify's sound quality)
      I guess I'd have to say neither do I, because I don't have Spotify or mp3's and I don't do download.  I like the up of analog far better.  A few CDs for the car and occasionally listening to a sample of music on the laptop is as digital as I get.  I'm blessed or cursed (however you want to look at it) to having the same kind of sensitivity to sound.  Even the better CD's sound to me like artificial music much of the time. 

brianlux said:
    What a weird article.

Totally. Also, there was a lot more about his daughter than probably needed to be included about Neil Young. Also, there was no flow to it. 

• brianlux said:
    What a weird article.

(I have zero problems with Spotify's sound quality)
      I guess I'd have to say neither do I, because I don't have Spotify or mp3's and I don't do download.  I like the up of analog far better.  A few CDs for the car and occasionally listening to a sample of music on the laptop is as digital as I get.  I'm blessed or cursed (however you want to look at it) to having the same kind of sensitivity to sound.  Even the better CD's sound to me like artificial music much of the time. 
    Being able to play a full live concert (be it mp3s) than having to change sides after 3 songs is a god send.

Been listening through 3 Crosby Stills & Nash albums at work using Spotify. Would be hard to bring a vinyl player with me.

And I have no problems with the audio reaching my delicate ears.

Obviously Tidal has the uncompressed so e.g. my dad uses that instead. 

But I'm fine with Spotify. 
    The ‘Le Noise Sessions’ film is currently playing in the NYA Hearse Theater. It includes 2 versions of the unreleased song You Never Call, as well a few of the Psychedelic Pill tracks.

1. You Never Call (Guitar)
    ---
    2. Walk With Me
    3. Sign Of Love
    4. Someone's Gonna Rescue You
    5. Love and War
    6. Angry World
    7. Hitchhiker
    8. Peaceful Valley Boulevard
    9. Rumblin'
    ---
    10. You Never Call (Organ)
    11. For The Love Of Man (Gretsch 6120)
    12. Hitchhiker (alternate take)
    13. Twisted Road (White Falcon)
    14. Born in Ontario (D-45 with LR Baggs pickup)
    15. Instrumental (White Falcon)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Should I buy Live at the Cellar door on vinyl for 31 dollars?