2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Here in the Atlanta area we've got several stadiums they could use...SunTrust Park (Braves), Mercedez Benz (Falcons), Georgia Tech, Georgia State (Formerly Turner Field for the Braves) , and Sanford Stadium in Athens (UGA).   So any time of the year could work here. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Zod said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    Under the bleachers at Wrigley during the rain delay was bad.  
    Agreed.  If I am traveling for a show it better be indoors.  
    Between needing to travel and costs associated with it (along with tickets now approaching $500 for 2 shows).  Merch at these things becoming a no-fly zone.  Then getting to the venue is kind of a slog.  Crowded streets, lines to get in, etc.  Then the venue itself being over-taxed.  All to be much further away with tons of open air and a diminished experience.  That, along with the whole thing hanging there at the complete mercy of weather.    It isn't really worth it (to me).
    I agree with all those things.  I was getting so accustomed to stadium shows (PJ or otherwise), then it was night and day difference between safeco last august, and foo fighters at GM place in Vancouver.   The arena felt smaller and more intimate than I recall (and I've seen a lot of shows there).  Lineups seemed small and insigificant... it was amazing.

I completely agree that Arena's are Better than Stadiums if only because every is smaller and more reasonable.   On the flip side if PJ tours are going to continue to be small I think they have to play stadiums or it's going to be tough getting tickets to anything.
    Maybe Amphitheaters are a compromise?  

Maybe it is a byproduct of seeing Pearl Jam like 27 times, but at Wrigley last year, it just felt like I was just there for another notch in the belt and the show itself was just going through the motions and didn't give me that 'rush'.  Granted, night one, I was about 350 feet away, couldn't see 1/3 of the stage, and the sound was bouncy.... and night 2 I was in GA, but was surrounded by borderline sketchy behavior (also including selfie-fest-2018 going on in front of me), not to mention the delay and everything that goes with it.   That whole experience isn't worth over $1000 for me I don't think. 

Recently, I went to The Claypool Lennon Delirium and The Flaming Lips at a local concert venue and my mind was blown.  I haven't gotten that kind of adrenaline from a show and the days following since the last time I saw Pearl Jam in an arena, the Binaural show in Toronto in 2016.
    Oh wait.  Primus in 2018 was pretty epic too for me.  But Claypool Lennon Delirium may be the best live act I have ever seen.  
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    The thing about amphitheaters is that so many of them are way out of the way and not easily accessible except by car through traffic. If they play Fenway it's right in Boston and close to hotels, parking and public transportation. If they play Mansfield it becomes a huge pain getting in and out. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2019
    JimmyV said:
    The thing about amphitheaters is that so many of them are way out of the way and not easily accessible except by car through traffic. If they play Fenway it's right in Boston and close to hotels, parking and public transportation. If they play Mansfield it becomes a huge pain getting in and out. 
    Fuck Mansfield!

Edit: Unless someone else is driving. In that case, play Mansfield!
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Fuck Mansfield!

I'm nodding.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JimmyV said:
    If they do branch out to other ballpark and stadium venues, I hope they choose ones with history. Safeco is an exception because of the Seattle connection, but Fenway and Wrigley were special in part because of how historic those places are. Dodger Stadium would be cool. Maybe Lambeau Field. 
    I still think at some point they will play Citizens Bank Park in Philly.  I'd much prefer two or three nights inside at Wells Fargo though.  
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited August 2019
    The day off between the ballpark shows is what gets me. Aside from tickets (and merch, if you are into that sort of thing) that extra night increases my travel cost by about fifty percent!
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    rummy said:
    The day off between the ballpark shows is what gets me. Aside from tickets (and merch, if you are into that sort of thing) that extra night increases my travel cost by about fifty percent!
    It does but thats another reason to go, to also see that city.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    RS65573 said:
    rummy said:
    It does but thats another reason to go, to also see that city.
    Agreed. The day between shows in Boston last year was my favorite day of the trip by far. I wouldn’t have been there if not for PJ playing.  That said, bring back arenas. If I travel to an arena show I’ll still have a day to see the city I’m in. Win, win. 
    pjhawks said:
    JimmyV said:
    If they do branch out to other ballpark and stadium venues, I hope they choose ones with history. Safeco is an exception because of the Seattle connection, but Fenway and Wrigley were special in part because of how historic those places are. Dodger Stadium would be cool. Maybe Lambeau Field. 
    I still think at some point they will play Citizens Bank Park in Philly.  I'd much prefer two or three nights inside at Wells Fargo though.  
    Not my preference but I do, too. I think Citizens Bank is a natural fit for them if they expand the ballpark shows. Much more likely they play there than Yankee Stadium or Citi Field, IMO.

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    JimmyV said:
    pjhawks said:
    JimmyV said:
    Not my preference but I do, too. I think Citizens Bank is a natural fit for them if they expand the ballpark shows. Much more likely they play there than Yankee Stadium or Citi Field, IMO.
    I agree, but who the heck wants to spend 3 days in Phily? Not me. Even in 09, I went and came back 4x, 2 hours each way. That city cant have my over night dollars.
  • wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 911
    Tough believing they will go back to arena tours after ballpark success.   They can hit Australia or S. America early in the year, couple of festivals in Europe in the late spring early summer, then maybe six ballparks (2 nights each) in the large US cities in the late summer/early fall.  Chicago, Boston, LA, Seattle, Denver, Atlanta. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Fuck Mansfield!

VIP parking is the way to go there. I barely go anymore but get it every time I do. Worth every penny when you cruise right out.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    eboweddie said:
    You have hit the nail on the head.  Why do 20 arena shows in 9 or 10 cities.  When you can do 6 baseball stadium shows in 2 cities. And fans will come from the 4 corners.  

Or play arenas and charge market value.

At least arena shows have a semblance of intimacy with the music.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    nycrats said:
    Noload said:
    I think they will spread out at least to some swing states leading up to Trump's re-election. :o
    While this would NEVER happen, imagine if bands played the opposite election strategy?

instead of playing before and trying to spread the word, say they’ll ONLY play such and such a state after the election, if said state wins. 

Strictly hypothetically, but the combo of voters being lazy/uninspired and music fans being desperate, and 3 states were decided by some 70k votes, I have to think the prospect of seeing great music would blackmail voters. If PJ proposed this they may get an extra 10k people to vote (their way) if not more. Now say REM promises reunion shows maybe they’ll get even more, Bruce gives the ultimatum to tour there’s another who knows how many more, and then imagine talking heads saying they’ll only reunite for shows if they get their result, it’s not crazy to imagine musicians blackmailing an election in 4 or 5 close states. 

Its ass backwards and not very “American” but it actually could work...(not trying to get political and it would be a very ugly and hostile environment I know, just looking at it hypothetically from a numbers point as a die hard music fan. More of a social experiment than a real way of life)

If you look at how the wealthy have manipulated the "free" markets and "free speech political bribery" in their favor over the last 100 years I challenge you to explain: 

1. How that's "American" and

2.  how beloved liberal
    musicians doing something in retaliation is any different. 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    Stadium, arena , amphitheater!!!!! At this point I would travel to Rummy’s backyard for a show.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Fuck Mansfield!

VIP parking is the way to go there. I barely go anymore but get it every time I do. Worth every penny when you cruise right out.
    I remember we parked across the street from the main entrance? There was this random residential road tucked away. Bit of a walk but saved a bunch of time getting out.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    100 Pacer said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Fuck Mansfield!

I remember we parked across the street from the main entrance? There was this random residential road tucked away. Bit of a walk but saved a bunch of time getting out.
    Yeah, that would definitely work. Hats off to you on that one. I would be scared to death of being towed.
    pjl44 said:
    100 Pacer said: up
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Fuck Mansfield!

Yeah, that would definitely work. Hats off to you on that one. I would be scared to death of being towed.
    Same. I'd never be able to relax enough to enjoy the show.

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    pjl44 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Fuck Mansfield!

Funny enough I parked and immediately looked at the signage. Everything indicated it was legal so I was comfortable. Ended up parking there for both shows with no issues.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    JojoRice said:
    Here in the Atlanta area we've got several stadiums they could use...SunTrust Park (Braves), Mercedez Benz (Falcons), Georgia Tech, Georgia State (Formerly Turner Field for the Braves) , and Sanford Stadium in Athens (UGA).   So any time of the year could work here. 

After seeing Foo Fighters at Georgia State Stadium last year, that venue will always be known as "Big Ass Stadium" to me.
  • RT85129RT85129 Posts: 179
    Saw the Stones at Georgia Tech in 2015.  It was great.  
  • logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 452
    If they stick with touring every couple years and only in stadiums in the same 3 cities, then I might be done at #73 (last show 2014).
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II
    [80*]
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    logan5ive said:
    If they stick with touring every couple years and only in stadiums in the same 3 cities, then I might be done at #73 (last show 2014).
    I'm stuck at #58.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I feel like a rookie. I’m only at 21. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Fuck Mansfield!

I'm nodding.

Me too , anytime I hear about a band coming to "Boston" and then it is announce Mansfield I just sigh , first not even close to Boston and second god that place is a nightmare to get in and out of. My last show I went too there was in 2004 , I don't want to have to go back.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    mcgruff10 said:
    logan5ive said:
    I'm stuck at #58.
    Big fat 0 for me so I‘ll take anything 
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Also if playing swing states , they could play the SNHU Arena in Manchester , NH.  Would be there first show ever in NH and only 60-80 mins to get to from Boston depending on traffic.

God I wish PJ was playing there tonight and not Donald Trump , I prefer a PJ setlist to the Trumps greatest hits setlist of racism , bigotry , sexism , lying about the economy while global markets fall , ect ect ect

• disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I've done Wrigley many times, but I'm done. I might consider Fenway, as I've never been to Boston, but how will I know if people are saying khakis or car keys?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Dimi said on Facebook there will be a tour in 2020. No other details. Spill the beans Dimi!