They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Use your damn phone if you must, BUT KEEP IT OUT OF OUR LINE OF SIGHT!! You aren't so f'ing important making a shitty video from the seats that you can put on You Tube and "impress your friends"......So I think most of us agree ....keep phones down.

Bingo!

Between the people that forget they're filming and they start screaming or jumping up and down while holding their phone in portrait mode, you hit the nail right on the head.

"Why is my video so damn narrow? I didn't get the bassist to the side of the stage!"
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Some background from Jack White on why he went the Yondr route:

"I don't care about the recording, I would think that actually is kind of cool, but what I don't like is the non-engagement. They're looking down and checking the sports scores and texting and stuff.

And then you can't clap, you can't clap back, and if you don't have a setlist, you need that, you need to engage with each other. I mean, it was just a period a few years ago where it was just starting to feel pointless to play live, there's just no engagement and no reaction."

More in the interview here:
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/jack_white_explains_main_reason_why_he_banned_use_of_phones_at_his_shows.html

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Just got back from a show at The Agora in Cleveland. There was a woman in front of me who kept shooting video. Now, snap some pictures, get yourself a lil video but for the love of all that is good and right, put the phone down eventually.

She recorded (in large chunks) almost all of Dope's entire set. I was irritated. I believe that she and her partner may have heard me tell my husband, "I swear that if she thinks that she is going to record all of Static-X, we may need to have a chat. It's rude and I would like to watch the concert, but not through her phone screen." (I should add that I was on the somewhat elevated rail platform above her.)

They moved down. When she went to shoot video, she made sure she wasn't standing in front of me. 

Please put your phone down. Thank you. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    deadendp said:

Just got back from a show at The Agora in Cleveland. There was a woman in front of me who kept shooting video. Now, snap some pictures, get yourself a lil video but for the love of all that is good and right, put the phone down eventually.

She recorded (in large chunks) almost all of Dope's entire set. I was irritated. I believe that she and her partner may have heard me tell my husband, "I swear that if she thinks that she is going to record all of Static-X, we may need to have a chat. It's rude and I would like to watch the concert, but not through her phone screen." (I should add that I was on the somewhat elevated rail platform above her.)

They moved down. When she went to shoot video, she made sure she wasn't standing in front of me. 

Please put your phone down. Thank you. 
    The bad thing is you could've asked her nicely to please not have her cellphone blocking your view, and probably still get a attitude.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Here's the thing, I wasn't mad that she wanted to take some photos or video, but that is all she did. We have all taken pictures. We've caught moments on video, but it was all the time and rude. 

She was excited. She was into it and that is great. She even made herself a shirt. She kept headbanging and smacking me with her hair as it whirled around. Fine. But...all I wanted was for her to put the damn phone down. She didn't do that, but she basically adjusted what she did and that worked. 

4/5 bands were phone blocked, but most of Static-X was in view so it worked out in the end...and it was a hell of a show. Happy we went!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Instead of trying to figure out how to ban Smart Phones, I wish there was some way to ban Dumb People.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Neil Young’s take on this...

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Wise words from Neil Young. Good for him.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    tschav said:

"I don't care about the recording, I would think that actually is kind of cool, but what I don't like is the non-engagement. They're looking down and checking the sports scores and texting and stuff.

And then you can't clap, you can't clap back, and if you don't have a setlist, you need that, you need to engage with each other. I mean, it was just a period a few years ago where it was just starting to feel pointless to play live, there's just no engagement and no reaction."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/jack_white_explains_main_reason_why_he_banned_use_of_phones_at_his_shows.html

Sounds like Jack White has a problem keeping his attendees engaged and wants to blame cell phones
  • tschav said:

Sounds like Jack White has a problem keeping his attendees engaged and wants to blame cell phones
    That's a Pearl Jam problem too then. Witnessed several unengaged attendees.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited September 2019
    Post edited by pjsteelerfan on
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • I personally hate cell phones at shows , if you want to snap a quick picture of the band coming out on stage or during the first song fine but we all know this will never happen. I was at a show two weeks ago and there were so many cell phones out the band asked them to put it away.

I am not old by any means ( 40 ) but when I pay money to go to a show I don't want cell phones up everywhere , sorry I love that this is a thing artist are doing. Enjoy that moment , you will never watch that footage ( again unless it is a quick 10-20 seconds ) however we all know people do what ever they want , its why we cant have nice things.

My niece is 18 and follows this rule when going to shows , she just takes a few quick pics and then enjoys the show , you only live once watch live music please people.

PJ's two shows in Boston last year I took a total of  4 photos ( one of me and my wife ) , one of the band hitting the stage both nights and one when they asked everyone to turn on their cell phone lights when covering Tom Petty.

Alright maybe I am a grumpy old man.

Get off my lawn you damn kids! Take your cell phones with you.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Pearl Jam will have to abandon their latest method of handling tickets if they plan to do any sort of ban. They were essentially required to get into the shows last summer.
    I find the 2 extremes a little amusing.
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I saw Jack White in Milwaukee last year. I was fine with not having access to my phone. I think it bummed my wife out a bit, who was mostly there to be with me, moreso than to see the show. But at the end of the day, I think Jack probably should just accept that cell phones are a part of today's society and forcing your audience to act how you want them to act probably isn't a longterm solution. I guess he can get away with it playing ballrooms. But I don't see it as feasible for a band like Pearl Jam who play ballparks that hold 40-50k people.
    Sarava said:
    I saw Jack White in Milwaukee last year. I was fine with not having access to my phone. I think it bummed my wife out a bit, who was mostly there to be with me, moreso than to see the show. But at the end of the day, I think Jack probably should just accept that cell phones are a part of today's society and forcing your audience to act how you want them to act probably isn't a longterm solution. I guess he can get away with it playing ballrooms. But I don't see it as feasible for a band like Pearl Jam who play ballparks that hold 40-50k people.
    "But at the end of the day, I think Jack probably should just accept that cell phones are a part of today's society and forcing your audience to act how you want them to act probably isn't a longterm solution."

This is so well put and so spot. I rarely use my phone at shows and never record video, but I'm also not interested in being told how I am supposed to act by an artist I have paid money to see. 

• Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    mace1229 said:
    Pearl Jam will have to abandon their latest method of handling tickets if they plan to do any sort of ban. They were essentially required to get into the shows last summer.
    When I saw Jack White at Nashville last fall, the show was mobile-entry only. As soon as you scanned your ticket on your phone, it went in a pouch. It worked out pretty smooth & didn't cause much of a delay. By doing it that way, it helps to ensure that all phones get sealed up. It was nice to not have any distractions during the show & focus 100% on the artist.
    Jason7192 said:
    mace1229 said:
    When I saw Jack White at Nashville last fall, the show was mobile-entry only. As soon as you scanned your ticket on your phone, it went in a pouch. It worked out pretty smooth & didn't cause much of a delay. By doing it that way, it helps to ensure that all phones get sealed up. It was nice to not have any distractions during the show & focus 100% on the artist.
    Was this an all GA show? This sounds like a nightmare for people trying to remember where there seats are. Or did you get something back once your phone was scanned with that info on it?

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Funny, I just bumped this to show the hilarious video Jack white posted on this Instagram. Millennial reactions to not having a cell phone for 2-3 hours  
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    I guess I'm kinda torn.  I rarely use my phone to take pics or record videos. We all know they mostly sound like shit. I have, however, spent many a night watching these beautifully filmed, nearly pro-shot looking vids on youtube (when they are synced up with the bootleg).  I can see both sides of the argument.  

It is tough though when hubby and wife are at a show and possibly have young kids with a sitter. What if there is an emergency with the kids and you need to leave immediately?  There's a chance you won't know about it until 2, in some cases 3 hours later.  I think my wife would have a panic attack for that reason alone.  She isn't some 20 something that needs to be on her phone all night.  But she is a freak about our kids.  
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,991
    Dang, when I saw this thread at the top I figured people were discussing last night's Raconteurs show at Hammerstein (I'm going tonight). 

I understand where Jack is coming from and I've been to a couple of shows where they used the Yondr pouches and it's fine by me. My initial fear was that it would make getting out of the venue a nightmare as everyone had to stop to get their phones unlocked, but that turned out not to be a problem at all. I usually do snap one or two photos at the beginning of the show but can definitely live without those (I also think it's cool that the Racs are selling pro photos from each show via their website). 

The people who keep their phones up for entire shows don't really bother me - I just feel bad for them really. To me, the entire point of going to a rock show or similar event is to be present in that moment, and I don't really understand why people feel the need to experience it through their phones even in real time (although I suspect that if I were more active - which is to say active at all - on facebook/twitter/instagram I'd probably understand it a lot more). But I don't really let it bother me or detract from my enjoyment of the event.

My favorite one ever was at Derek Jeter's final game at Yankee Stadium - by the time Jeter hit his walk-off single (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChQcMsWK-ek) the guy in front of me had long since killed his phone and watched the big moment through (I'm not making this up) a Nintendo 3DS.
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    JimmyV said:
    Jason7192 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Was this an all GA show? This sounds like a nightmare for people trying to remember where there seats are. Or did you get something back once your phone was scanned with that info on it?
    We had reserved seats. I can't remember if they gave us a printout, or if they just had some scrap paper there we could use to write down our seat location. I think it may have been the latter. I don't recall it being an issue though.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    tdawe said:
    Dang, when I saw this thread at the top I figured people were discussing last night's Raconteurs show at Hammerstein (I'm going tonight). 

I understand where Jack is coming from and I've been to a couple of shows where they used the Yondr pouches and it's fine by me. My initial fear was that it would make getting out of the venue a nightmare as everyone had to stop to get their phones unlocked, but that turned out not to be a problem at all. I usually do snap one or two photos at the beginning of the show but can definitely live without those (I also think it's cool that the Racs are selling pro photos from each show via their website). 

The people who keep their phones up for entire shows don't really bother me - I just feel bad for them really. To me, the entire point of going to a rock show or similar event is to be present in that moment, and I don't really understand why people feel the need to experience it through their phones even in real time (although I suspect that if I were more active - which is to say active at all - on facebook/twitter/instagram I'd probably understand it a lot more). But I don't really let it bother me or detract from my enjoyment of the event.

My favorite one ever was at Derek Jeter's final game at Yankee Stadium - by the time Jeter hit his walk-off single (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChQcMsWK-ek) the guy in front of me had long since killed his phone and watched the big moment through (I'm not making this up) a Nintendo 3DS.
    Same, I was at the show and was hoping to hear some chatter. It was a great show, you’ll have fun tonight. 

He came  out SUPER high energy and wanted the crowd to be as well, and the no phones helped achieve that. He was like a mad man all “come on! Is this New York City or what!? “Etc etc. eventually leveled off but still played a lot of rock n roll. Crazy to think how Little Rock n roll there is these days and he’s doing his best to keep it from being an endangered species. 

The pouches were easy and a non event as far as delays etc, my only issue was I have a family member with health issues so there’s always a potential for an emergency. Low risk but it’s on my mind, fortunately my friend had an Apple Watch and I passed along his number, any emergencies he would have gotten a text. 

Actually speaking of watches, it was pretty funny, no one around us knew the time. 
    And speaking of phones I dropped something on a ga floor and got very lucky to find it, so if you’re going to a ga phone free show, consider having a watch, a small pocket flashlight and maybe a cellular watch in your group if need be for emergencies ha
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,991
    nycrats said:
    Same, I was at the show and was hoping to hear some chatter. It was a great show, you’ll have fun tonight. 

Well you were right - that was a great rock show. Shout out to the guy in front of me with the PJ Chicago ‘18 t shirt. 
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    tdawe said:
    nycrats said:

Well you were right - that was a great rock show. Shout out to the guy in front of me with the PJ Chicago ‘18 t shirt. 
    Awesome
    did you notice more random people engagement waiting for the show as no one had a phone?
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • For those of us criticizing Jack or PJ for not being able to "engage" their audience to stay off their phones, you're not being very realistic.

It's really hard to compete with a universe of information and entertainment in the palm of someone's hand. Not everyone attends a show because they are a fan who bought tickets, it's probably more often because a friend or spouse or family member is a fan, went to the trouble of getting tickets, and wants to share the show experience with that person who wouldn't otherwise go. That portion of the audience is probably bigger than most of us would initially guess. In that circumstance, it's an uphill battle for any artist to engage 100% of the audience or even a sizable majority, when the alternative is a stream of information, entertainment, real life flowing through your personal device. 

No matter what anyone says, the communal experience of a live concert is part of the appeal. MSG II 1998 would not have been the same if 70% of the audience were recording all the "Breath" signs held aloft. Artists have the right to choose what kind of environment they want for the presentation of their work and for their audience. The rest of us have the choice about whether we want to go to consume that work. So if Jack White wants phones locked up, I wish him the best of luck in creating the experience he wants for his art and his fans. Don't go to the Jack White concert if you can't be without your phone while attending the performance. 
    MP
    8/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario
    10/5/00 - Toronto, Ontario
    6/28/03 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/22/05 - Halifax, Nova Scotia
    9/11/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/12/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    7/31/12 - London, England (EV)
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, New York
    12/2/13 - Calgary, Alberta
    05/10/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    05/12/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    09/06/16 - Hamilton, Ontario
    09/08/22 - Toronto, Ontario

I don't want artists telling me to get off their lawn, particularly not after they have charged me hundreds of dollars to stand there. 

• MP188882 said:
    For those of us criticizing Jack or PJ for not being able to "engage" their audience to stay off their phones, you're not being very realistic.

It's really hard to compete with a universe of information and entertainment in the palm of someone's hand. Not everyone attends a show because they are a fan who bought tickets, it's probably more often because a friend or spouse or family member is a fan, went to the trouble of getting tickets, and wants to share the show experience with that person who wouldn't otherwise go. That portion of the audience is probably bigger than most of us would initially guess. In that circumstance, it's an uphill battle for any artist to engage 100% of the audience or even a sizable majority, when the alternative is a stream of information, entertainment, real life flowing through your personal device. 

No matter what anyone says, the communal experience of a live concert is part of the appeal. MSG II 1998 would not have been the same if 70% of the audience were recording all the "Breath" signs held aloft. Artists have the right to choose what kind of environment they want for the presentation of their work and for their audience. The rest of us have the choice about whether we want to go to consume that work. So if Jack White wants phones locked up, I wish him the best of luck in creating the experience he wants for his art and his fans. Don't go to the Jack White concert if you can't be without your phone while attending the performance. 
    Amen Brother....amen.
  • JimmyV said:
    I don't want artists telling me to get off their lawn, particularly not after they have charged me hundreds of dollars to stand there. 
    Amen Brother....amen.
  • stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008

Hopefully this restriction is disclosed at the time of ticket purchase.

I agree phones at shows can be very annoying. However, forfeiting non intrusive use all evening, plus additional lines to lock and unlock phones - in addition to lines for security, ticket scans, concessions and rest rooms is something I would dread just as much as intrusive phone use.

Also its ironic how much some acts hate appearing on you tube. If they were less successful  their attitudes might be different. 
    I saw The Raconteurs in Manhattan on Friday and again on Saturday in Brooklyn.  First and foremost they are an amazing band.  I gladly put my phone into the pouch both nights and didn’t worry about it.  Was great not having people taking useless videos and photos they are never gonna watch or look at holding their phones in my line of sight!  At either venue the whole “phone in a bag” thing didn’t slow me down at all on the way in or way out. Realize this Yoder bags are someone’s business,  I am sure they are finding ways to make it easier and quicker.  It was very easy.  I think I saw one person on night one with a phone, but they checked the time and put it away.