Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited June 2019
    there are only a few trigger issues with me.. abortion is one of them.  i acknowledge that i havent read any of the posts since ilast posted. i also acknowledge that this is because i cant really have a discussion about it because i simply cannot see the con side of pro choice. nor as a woman can i accept it. sure go ahead and tell me why you dont support  pro choice and the autonomy of women's bodies, however i will tune out because  in my mind you will always be wrong because unless its your body you dont have a say imo.  am i being close minded? i dont think so cause what it comes down to it, for me  a woman's body is nobody's body but hers... and i can not support the involuntary incubation that some people feel woman should go through simply because they had sex and that sex resulted in a pregnancy.  woman are not gestational slaves. we can not force a woman through legislative control to carry a pregnancy to term just as we can not impose upon any other human  an action that impinges upon the autonomy of their own body. and that is my final word on the subject.  
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Yikes. And that is why there is no point to have a conversation about it. Minds aren’t changing on this topic. Peace. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    there are only a few trigger issues with me.. abortion is one of them.  i acknowledge that i havent read any of the posts since ilast posted. i also acknowledge that this is because i cant really have a discussion about it because i simply cannot see the con side of pro choice. nor as a woman can i accept it. sure go ahead and tell me why you dont support  pro choice and the autonomy of women's bodies, however i will tune out because  in my mind you will always be wrong because unless its your body you dont have a say imo.  am i being close minded? i dont think so cause what it comes down to it, for me  a woman's body is nobody's body but hers... and i can not support the involuntary incubation that some people feel woman should go through simply because they had sex and that sex resulted in a pregnancy.  woman are not gestational slaves. we can not force a woman through legislative control to carry a pregnancy to term just as we can not impose upon any other human  an action that impinges upon the autonomy of their own body. and that is my final word on the subject.  
    Thanks for being so honest and forthright. 
    This topic needs more women speaking the women's perspective.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Thanks for being so honest and forthright. 
    This topic needs more women speaking the women's perspective.
    You say that until it doesn’t fit that same narrative.  
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    I can understand and appreciate your position, but I don't agree with it. 

A human life has constitutional rights. If a human life is living within another human life, both of those lives have constitutional rights, so fundamentally, there's ambiguity in the constitution that carries risk of neglectful treatment, and we a society should cast a legal decision should be made on whether 'do no harm' principles can be waived for a human life living within another human life (just as we pursue removing ambiguities in constitutional law on a regular basis). Since something of this nature is likely to be stuck in courts or the hands of politicians for a long time, the best way I can think of to advocate for women's rights to abortion in the meantime, is to legally define the start of a human life in terms of weeks of pregnancy, and to follow in Illinois' footsteps, and state that a fetus, embryo, or unfertilized egg should have no rights, hard stop. As for the portion of an abortion where there is a legally-defined human within a woman's body, this can still be legislated in a way that states that abortion is a human right and supersedes the constitutional rights of a child.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mickeyrat said:
    a complete disregard for life to not acknowledge it as life at a defined time during the pregnancy. 
    I agree.

EDIT: But doesn't everyone? Or hmm.. Am I lost here?
    Well apparently I am spreading propaganda when I myself said I am not completely against having a choice up to a certain point. All I want are defined rules of engagement. 

The only argument from me is where said point is during the pregnancy. 
    science has determined at roughly 26 weeks.  after that ,while not a garauntee, medical science has shown babies can survive at 27 weeks.
    21 weeks and 5 days, and a baby can survive.

So that 26 weeks of yours sounds off..?

In Sweden it is in a legal sense considered to be "a child" at week 22.
    So Sweden allows the murder of 2 day old survivable babies?  Sick place.
    If you wan't to look at it that way, I guess. Not fully read up on rules and stuff regarding this.

I'm practitioning abstinence. 
    Is it abstinence when others are making the choice for you?

BAZINGA
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    Hal Rounds of the West Fayette County Republican Party said he remembers being in his mother’s womb.
    Rounds was one of a slew of people who testified before the Judiciary committee Tuesday about Senate Bill 1236, also known as the Fetal Heartbeat Bill.
    “I have a conceptual memory of being born,” said Rounds. “In the womb there is a sensation of compression and advancement against one side and another and sudden urgent pressure to burst out.”
    Rounds said he had a dream throughout his youth and one day he realized the dream was like being born and that’s when the dreams stopped.
    “I believe that the consciousness of the child begun in the womb,” said Rounds. “And when you kill a child, you are killing a person that is not just aware of nothing, but being a person.”

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/politics/mid-south-political-leader-testifies-remembering-his-birth-during-tennessee-abortion-bill-debate/51-838258da-0679-4f9d-b179-bf07f1ebb69c
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I don't believe him.

Falling down,...not staying down
    Come on...you mean to me that only a few of us remember coming to life in the womb and the birth it self...those were fond memories.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Hal Rounds of the West Fayette County Republican Party said he remembers being in his mother’s womb.
    Rounds was one of a slew of people who testified before the Judiciary committee Tuesday about Senate Bill 1236, also known as the Fetal Heartbeat Bill.
    “I have a conceptual memory of being born,” said Rounds. “In the womb there is a sensation of compression and advancement against one side and another and sudden urgent pressure to burst out.”
    Rounds said he had a dream throughout his youth and one day he realized the dream was like being born and that’s when the dreams stopped.
    “I believe that the consciousness of the child begun in the womb,” said Rounds. “And when you kill a child, you are killing a person that is not just aware of nothing, but being a person.”

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/politics/mid-south-political-leader-testifies-remembering-his-birth-during-tennessee-abortion-bill-debate/51-838258da-0679-4f9d-b179-bf07f1ebb69c
    all science points to this being absolute 100% bullshit
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Come on...you mean to me that only a few of us remember coming to life in the womb and the birth it self...those were fond memories.
    I can barely remember what happened last week, lol
    i had a girlfriend who claimed she remembers being in the fucking crib. i call bullshit on that too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    Planned Parenthood is stopping receipt of title x funds as a response to new gag rules being put in place surrounding abortion as an option. they hope to cover the loss of funds privately which goes toward family planning services for their clients......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    PJPOWER said:
    I can barely remember what happened last week, lol
    I just had lunch.  "Now, what did I have again"?  That's me.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Hal Rounds of the West Fayette County Republican Party said he remembers being in his mother’s womb.

All science points to people still voting for him and him not being laughed out of his party in the US of A.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Somedays I wish I was aborted. Pro Choice!!
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    edited August 2019

All science points to people still voting for him and him not being laughed out of his party in the US of A.
    psst. its not his party....... Just like the D's arent Bernie's party.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    mickeyrat said:

psst. its not his party....... Just like the D's arent Bernie's party.
    Deez nuts. Sorry saw the D’s and had to say it. 

Its my party and I’ll cry if I want too.  
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    It is possible to be pro choice and still anti abortion.  I would prefer that no one get an abortion but that isn't reasonable.  It isn't my right (and it sure as hell isn't the government's fucking right) to tell a woman what she can do with her body.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    It is possible to be pro choice and still anti abortion.  I would prefer that no one get an abortion but that isn't reasonable.  It isn't my right (and it sure as hell isn't the government's fucking right) to tell a woman what she can do with her body.

That's me too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    “Let’s put ourselves in the shoes of a woman in that situation. If it’s that late in your pregnancy ... it’s [almost to the point] that you’ve been expecting to carry it to term,” Buttigieg added. “Families ... then get the most devastating medical news of their lifetime. ... That decision is not going to be made any better, medically or morally, because the government is dictating how that decision should be made.”

Buttigieg was discussing the roughly 6,000 cases of late term abortion per year in the US

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/19/18631854/pete-buttigieg-fox-news-town-hall
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

I know many people who are Pro-Choice.
    I don't know anyone that is Pro-Abortion 
  • Wouldn't everyone prefer that no one gets an abortion?

I don't think anyone thinks like this literally:

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    edited August 2019
    Wouldn't everyone prefer that no one gets an abortion?

(gif removed because it's dumb)
    I'd vote for that being the dumbest movie line ever. :::shaking head at the stupidity:::

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    Kat said:

I'd vote for that being the dumbest movie line ever. :::shaking head at the stupidity:::

You like the one in the script/book more that they had to replace?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Kat said:

You like the one in the script/book more that they had to replace?
    You read the script to Fight Club?