Options

Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    The female body has ways to shut the whole thing down huh?  This shit is truly unfucking (is that one word or two?) believable.  I truly didn’t think there was still a man on earth who doesn’t know how females reproductive systems work.  Perhaps he’s referring to the hanger method because I’ll be damned if I knew how to make my babies go away.  Fucking morons run this country. 
    Yes...
    The female body has ways to shut the whole thing down huh?  This shit is truly unfucking (is that one word or two?) believable.  I truly didn’t think there was still a man on earth who doesn’t know how females reproductive systems work.  Perhaps he’s referring to the hanger method because I’ll be damned if I knew how to make my babies go away.  Fucking morons run this country. 
    Don't forget the fucking morons who support and vote for the fucking morons who run this country. Or aspire to run this country.
    You’re 100% correct.  

and yes!

Idiot America is on the move.  An absolute disaster at ever turn. 
    And now the Supreme Court possibly on the verge of overturning Roe Vs. Wade?  I can't believe the shit that is coming down these days.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    brianlux said:
    Yes...
    Don't forget the fucking morons who support and vote for the fucking morons who run this country. Or aspire to run this country.
    You’re 100% correct.  

and yes!

Idiot America is on the move.  An absolute disaster at ever turn. 
    And now the Supreme Court possibly on the verge of overturning Roe Vs. Wade?  I can't believe the shit that is coming down these days.

Shithole country! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,122
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah for those jumping into a time machine hot tub to 2016. Hillary made them feel uncomfortable so they didn’t turn out in Obama like numbers, trump won and this is what they got. Probably wouldn’t be overturned while me, and all five Jammers are are are…still alive. Dems would need to win every senate majority and presidential election for next twenty years to overturn while we are alive

Not sure which is the bigger story, the overturn or a leak by SCOTUS.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,122

They canceled in NC 2016 but are scheduled to play OK this year. The NC bathroom bill impacted under 5% of the population while this one over half.

Head scratcher. More so what were they thinking back then.
    They clearly made a knee jerk reaction to the NC issue. Was a very poor decision 

Honestly I feel very uncomfortable about what the red states are doing, to the point they “feel” like second world countries. I understand the frustration of NC fans, if I had tickets I would have been angry. But I also do not want to step foot in states that believe in nasty gun and anti health freedom laws for women. Honestly I don’t know how PJ will feel when they play OK this year.

When state legislatures tell rape victims to learn to love the child of their attacker with zero choices, how far out of control is red country?

Hey Alex, put down the Gibson, this is big news, I’m gonna triple post y’all. If they were so worried about bathrooms in NC, how they gonna like MO and OK this year? Especially with all ‘‘em guns roaming around ‘em. Certainly be all uncomfortable for dem. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,035
    I am just hearing about the SCOTUS leak.

So when all of these Justices were at their hearings and said that R vs W was sanctimony and not to be messed with we were all lied to?

What else do they have cooking in the works?
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403

So when all of these Justices were at their hearings and said that R vs W was sanctimony and not to be messed with we were all lied to?

Next: access to contraceptives, gay marriage, interracial marriage, who you can have sex with and how… 

What the leaked opinion comes down to is this: you are not entitled to a right to privacy in America because the right to privacy is not explicitly stated in the constitution.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,207
    Stack the court now.  Fucking republicans.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,245
    States rights basically brings us back to the civil war if they keep it up. United States my ass. Sounds more like North and South again.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,543

Next: access to contraceptives, gay marriage, interracial marriage, who you can have sex with and how… 

What the leaked opinion comes down to is this: you are not entitled to a right to privacy in America because the right to privacy is not explicitly stated in the constitution.
    I'm not a lawyer and admittedly do not know what the legal argument was that supported the 7-2 Roe decision and potentially what will decide this 5-4 decision.   We can hate on each side of the court but ultimately the validity of the legal argument of the majority should be at least sound, and I don't know enough to make that determination in this case.   At the end of the day is this ultimately a failure of the legislature to enact laws that are clear to avoid future challenges that result in a reversal like this?   It is tough to pass legislation in this area though and that puts people in limbo, though, if we have to rely on the legislature.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,822
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    States rights basically brings us back to the civil war if they keep it up. United States my ass. Sounds more like North and South again.
    I get States rights, I do.  If you didn't have them then the Govt would have nailed all these cannabis growers but they haven't.

What I don't get is if you have R vs W and 2A but a state can manipulate them to their benefit.

I guess what I am saying is the constitution is just an interpretation for a state now a days.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,245

I'm not a lawyer and admittedly do not know what the legal argument was that supported the 7-2 Roe decision and potentially what will decide this 5-4 decision.   We can hate on each side of the court but ultimately the validity of the legal argument of the majority should be at least sound, and I don't know enough to make that determination in this case.   At the end of the day is this ultimately a failure of the legislature to enact laws that are clear to avoid future challenges that result in a reversal like this?   It is tough to pass legislation in this area though and that puts people in limbo, though, if we have to rely on the legislature.  
    What it comes down to is personal opinion. If the court can interpret 2A to mean what it does in the modern age, I don't know how they can ignore women's rights as it relates to abortion. Also, kicking this back to the states means the women of that state are at the whim of whatever entity is in political power. I can see abortion laws flipping every 4-8 years depending on which side controls the legislature. What a mess that will be.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,822
    edited May 2022

Federal judge extends ban on new Kentucky abortion law
    By DYLAN LOVAN
    Yesterday

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A federal judge in Kentucky has extended a temporary ban on the enforcement of a new state law that effectively ended abortions because the state's two clinics said they can't comply with all its requirements.

U.S. District Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings is giving the clinics more time to explain their objections to the law. Jennings extended a temporary restraining order until May 19, after the existing one expires Thursday. Jennings said, however, some parts of the law not in dispute by the two clinics and state officials would go into effect.

“I think there are pieces of this legislation that can be complied with right now,” Jennings said. The judge is planning an order on those parameters this week.

Lawyers for the clinics, Planned Parenthood and the EMW Women's Surgical Center, were in court Monday to ask for a preliminary injunction on the law, which would be an extended ban.

Attorneys for the clinics went through line-by-line objections to Kentucky's new law during the four-hour hearing in Louisville's federal courthouse. Lawyers with Attorney General Daniel Cameron's office, which is defending the new law, argued throughout the hearing that the clinics need to provide facts on why they can't comply with the law.

“We maintain that there is no reason this law should be stopped from taking effect,” Cameron said in a prepared statement Monday.

Lawyers for the clinics argued the law is complicated and the state has not yet set up the guidelines for them to comply with.

“We are hopeful the judge will take into consideration the arguments made today and prevent the state from enforcing these impossible requirements on abortion providers in the state of Kentucky,” Julie Murray, a lawyer for Planned Parenthood, said after the hearing.

Kentucky's Republican-led legislature passed the new law in March and then overrode Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear’s veto of the measure in April. Both of the clinics resumed abortion services after Jennings temporarily halted the law last month.

The new law bans abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy and requires women to be examined by a doctor before receiving abortion pills. It contains new restrictions and reporting requirements, and enforcement of that compliance with stiff fines, felony penalties and revocation of physician and facility licenses.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,827
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    What's next Brown v. Board of education?...Things are about to get interesting.
    States' rights, baby. That's the first thing I thought of.

That said, while I'm pro-choice, I've always felt like R v W was a bit strange...I don't know it backwards and forwards, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the key issue there was "privacy." I never quite grasped how that was a SCOTUS issue.

Anyway, what comes now should be interesting. Most Americans are pro-choice. But not fervently so. I don't think the outrage will be too large. Once some of the red states start getting draconian in their punishments of patients, doctors, facilitators, etc., that's when things might get interesting. Of course, by then, we might have only one party of signficance. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,629
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    What's next Brown v. Board of education?...Things are about to get interesting.
    States' rights, baby. That's the first thing I thought of.

That said, while I'm pro-choice, I've always felt like R v W was a bit strange...I don't know it backwards and forwards, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the key issue there was "privacy." I never quite grasped how that was a SCOTUS issue.

Anyway, what comes now should be interesting. Most Americans are pro-choice. But not fervently so. I don't think the outrage will be too large. Once some of the red states start getting draconian in their punishments of patients, doctors, facilitators, etc., that's when things might get interesting. Of course, by then, we might have only one party of signficance. 
    Never mind the dead women.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,498

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

"The inescapable conclusion is that a right to abortion is not deeply rooted in the Nation's history and traditions." is what Alito wrote. 

This logic could just as easily be applied to the civil rights and / or woman’s suffrage movement and any other progressive movement of the last 100 years. 
  • Options

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

"The inescapable conclusion is that a right to abortion is not deeply rooted in the Nation's history and traditions." is what Alito wrote. 

This logic could just as easily be applied to the civil rights and / or woman’s suffrage movement and any other progressive movement of the last 100 years. 
    I really, really hope that the other things mentioned start happening but I very well can see the pendulum swinging back to conservatism.  You do have half a country that doesn't agree w each other...
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

I really, really hope that the other things mentioned start happening but I very well can see the pendulum swinging back to conservatism.  You do have half a country that doesn't agree w each other...

As far as half the country not agreeing with each other, I'm pretty sure that's not the case w/ the right to choose. 

As I understand it, 70% of Americans support the right to choose, and only 28% oppose. That's a pretty glaring gap. 

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

As far as half the country not agreeing with each other, I'm pretty sure that's not the case w/ the right to choose. 

As I understand it, 70% of Americans support the right to choose, and only 28% oppose. That's a pretty glaring gap. 

I've read varying statistics but the percentage is definitely in the majority for right to choose.  But our Supreme Court is about to tell us, "fuck your rights".  Welcome to the new Authoritarian America. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

"not" should be in there...

No way there are that many people for it and this becomes a thing.

I see half the country as conservative and they usually, not always lean that way w abortion.
  • Options

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

I see half the country as conservative and they usually, not always lean that way w abortion.
    I just took a quick glance at Pew Research center (which I'm under the impression is a good source), it might be closer to 60%... I was going off memory, apologies for not researching first... if accurate though, 60-40 is still a pretty glaring gap. 
  • Options

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

I just took a quick glance at Pew Research center (which I'm under the impression is a good source), it might be closer to 60%... I was going off memory, apologies for not researching first... if accurate though, 60-40 is still a pretty glaring gap. 
    According to this, 70% of Americans do not want to see RvW overturned. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/06/17/key-facts-about-the-abortion-debate-in-america/

I knew I didn't come up with that # out of thin air. 

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,302
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-americans-really-think-about-abortion/

It may be hard to know how most people really feel about abortion, but one important takeaway from this data is that the vast majority of Americans — somewhere between 85 and 90 percent, according to most polls — think abortion should be legal in at least some circumstances. Total bans on abortion, which have now passed in three states, are popular only with a small sliver of the public. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-americans-really-think-about-abortion/

It may be hard to know how most people really feel about abortion, but one important takeaway from this data is that the vast majority of Americans — somewhere between 85 and 90 percent, according to most polls — think abortion should be legal in at least some circumstances. Total bans on abortion, which have now passed in three states, are popular only with a small sliver of the public. 
    Yes, that one is very telling.  One is on the books where even rape and incest won't be able to get abortions.

These same people whom are against it should be adopting at one hell of a pace...
  • Options

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/06/17/key-facts-about-the-abortion-debate-in-america/

Still 60/40 split is closer than you'd think.  That is a swing away from going to the other direction.  That 70% not wanting to change is promising though.
  • Options

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

Still 60/40 split is closer than you'd think.  That is a swing away from going to the other direction.  That 70% not wanting to change is promising though.
    Bottom line, SCOTUS is acting against the will of the majority. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,543

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

It is not the job of the SCOTUS to act on behalf of the majority.  That would be scary in a lot of situations.  The majority are not legal scholars either.  The majority comes into play by electing leaders to enact laws. 
  • Options

Same sex marriage
    Inter racial marriage
    Griswold V Connecticut

You name it. 

That doesn't bother me.  The last 4 that were questioned all said that R vs W would not be touched.  
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,403
    edited May 2022
    Yes, the fact that they (SC candidates) lied should also be an alarm for Americans.  

As for what people think about abortion, we are perfectly fine with a group of individuals other than ourselves deciding such a touchy subject.  But what everyone keeps missing (not here) is that whether you’re for or against abortion itself doesn’t mean that ANYONE has a right to tell us what to do with our bodies.  Men shouldn’t have even been part of this conversation which is what makes it even more crazy.  I don’t mean that to be an ass it just means it also applies that I shouldn’t have a say in what men do with their penises or where they put them as long as it’s consensual.   Edit: and legal 

Post edited by cblock4life on
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    Decision will be final in June.

if I was betting, PJ shows in KY, MO, TN, and OK won’t happen.  Pro choice is and has been central to PJ since the beginning.  They would be smart to avoid those states 

MO in particular as they are moving to criminalise their residents leaving the state to get an abortion.  So the entire premise of leaving the decision up to individual states will last about 2 minutes, then the red states will try to regulate the procedure across state lines by either a Texas style law to sue out of state entities in their state courts which technically they shouldn’t be allowed to due but that won’t stop them or to punish their residents who leave the states jurisdiction to get an abortion in a state where it’s legal