Options

Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Is it me, or is that a lot fetuses?

1 is a lot so in answer to your question......
    Yeah I'm not a great judge on how many fetuses is your home is too many. 
    I can only speak for my home, but if you have the opportunity to bet on an over/under, I don't care what it is set at, take the under.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Is it me, or is that a lot fetuses?

1 is a lot so in answer to your question......
    Yeah I'm not a great judge on how many fetuses is your home is too many. 
    I can only speak for my home, but if you have the opportunity to bet on an over/under, I don't care what it is set at, take the under.
    It's the "lock" of the week. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,805

D.C. Medical Examiner has no plans to autopsy fetuses removed from antiabortion activist’s home, officials say  https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2022/04/01/lauren-handy-dc-abortion-fetuses/ 

By Michelle Boorstein and Peter Hermann
    April 01 at 10:11 PM ET
    The city medical examiner does not plan at this time to perform autopsies on the five fetuses police removed from a Capitol Hill rowhouse earlier this week, according to two D.C. officials with knowledge of the case, even though the group involved in their discovery claims the fetuses were all late-term abortions performed illegally.
    The fetuses were found in a basement apartment occupied by Lauren Handy, a well-known local antiabortion protester and director of activism for Progressive Anti-Abortion Uprising.
    PAAU said in a statement Thursday evening that it received the fetuses from a “whistleblower” who worked at Washington Surgi-Clinic, a D.C. abortion clinic, and had arranged for police to pick them up because they believe the fetuses were aborted illegally.
    The clinic declined to comment, but its website says it performs abortions up to 27 weeks of pregnancy, which is at the very end of the second trimester.
    Handy and other members of her group scheduled a news conference Tuesday where they said they would share details.
    Ashan Benedict, D.C. police’s executive assistant chief of police, told reporters Thursday that the fetuses appeared to have been aborted “in accordance with D.C. law [and] there doesn’t seem to be anything criminal in nature about that except for how they got into this house.”
    On Friday, D.C. police spokesman Dustin Sternbeck said the matter “remains an ongoing investigation.” He said, “While there are still a number of questions, we can’t provide details at this point.” He said the origin of the fetuses also remains part of that inquiry. Sternbeck said D.C. police have not filed any charges or made any arrests in regards to the found fetuses.
    Officials with the D.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner declined to comment about the case.
    Two D.C. officials with knowledge of the case, who spoke on the condition of anonymity since they are not permitted to discuss an ongoing investigation, said the decision not to perform autopsies could change if they receive additional information.
    Randall Terry, a longtime national antiabortion leader working with Handy’s group, said the activists don’t know the circumstances of the pregnancies that ended in abortions, but he said that graphic images of fetuses circulating on social media Friday night were the remains taken from Washington Surgi-Clinic. D.C. police and other officials declined to comment on whether the pictures on social media are of the fetuses taken from the residence.
    D.C. and seven states do not have specific laws prohibiting abortion after a certain point in pregnancy. Terry said the activists want an investigation of whether the clinic violated federal law, which restricts when a procedure known as “intact dilation and extraction” can be performed and extends legal rights to fetuses that survive abortions.
    Plain-clothed officers discovered the fetuses Wednesday when they entered a rowhouse on 6th Street SE to investigate what police described as “a tip regarding potential biohazard material at the location.”
    [5 fetuses found in D.C. home of woman charged in abortion clinic blockade]
    Around the same time that police were swarming the quiet residential side street, federal authorities announced the indictment of Handy and eight other people in a 2020 blockade of an abortion clinic with chain and rope. They face federal civil rights counts connected with the incident at the Washington Surgi-Clinic. Included in the statement PAAU released Thursday was a March 30 letter from a California attorney to D.C. officials, saying “an entity” had “come into possession” of fetuses — the number in the statement was blacked out — and wanted “to advise appropriate authorities … and request an investigation and forensic examinations.”

continues.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,619
    Dems in Congress should pass a Bill making performing vasectomies a felony.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I'd like to leave a positive Yelp review for Yelp.

Yelp said it would cover travel expenses for any of its employees or their dependents who are forced to seek abortion care out of state.

Yelp joins growing list of companies offering workers help with abortion care - CNN

Other companies supporting abortion access include Citigroup, Bumble, Match, Lyft, and Uber.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    I'd like to leave a positive Yelp review for Yelp.

Yelp said it would cover travel expenses for any of its employees or their dependents who are forced to seek abortion care out of state.

Yelp joins growing list of companies offering workers help with abortion care - CNN

Other companies supporting abortion access include Citigroup, Bumble, Match, Lyft, and Uber.
    States are going to get very crafty at going after these companies and anyone that leaves the state for abortions.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2022
    I never thought that I would live to see the day when I would value large corporations as highly as I have over the past few years.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dankind said:
    I never thought that I would live to see the day when I would value large corporations as highly as I have over the past few years.
    Don't let them fool you, they would subjugate us all fin the name of profits if they had the chance.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    Don't let them fool you, they would subjugate us all fin the name of profits if they had the chance.
    I don't think that's right at all.   

Companies are made up of actual humanoids, most of them middle class to upper middle class.  They are the backbone of any company and corporate leaders understand how valuable these people are to making the company run every day.  It's not 1910 with company towns.  I've worked in these companies and still work with them every single day.  They make decisions that are suboptimal from a profit standpoint. And these decisions are made by the middle to upper management.  I find them to be extremely risk averse, to the point of silliness. They do it due to regulatory pressure, media pressure, legal pressure, etc.  I'm not saying that there are no companies that are 'evil', but the stereotype is the outlier, not the rule.  

As a rule, I find that small and mid size companies pay less, have worse benefits, and generally treat their employees far worse than large corporations.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:

Companies are made up of actual humanoids, most of them middle class to upper middle class.  They are the backbone of any company and corporate leaders understand how valuable these people are to making the company run every day.  It's not 1910 with company towns.  I've worked in these companies and still work with them every single day.  They make decisions that are suboptimal from a profit standpoint. And these decisions are made by the middle to upper management.  I find them to be extremely risk averse, to the point of silliness. They do it due to regulatory pressure, media pressure, legal pressure, etc.  I'm not saying that there are no companies that are 'evil', but the stereotype is the outlier, not the rule.  

As a rule, I find that small and mid size companies pay less, have worse benefits, and generally treat their employees far worse than large corporations.  
    So they aren't doing it to be altruistic.  What happens if the media, social and regulatory pressure is gone?  The way things are going all it takes is a savvier Trump to come to power and strip even more of the regulatory actions back, and the cheerleaders with the lets go Brandon flags will clap their hands while their rights are taken away.  When things get bad enough the company can simply say times are hard we can't offer the same benefits and pay as we used to but you should feel lucky to be employed etc.  Heck I remember 20 years ago having conversations with well off folks about how bad it is that the people that make our products make so little in the way of wages abroad, a common reply was "If they aren't getting $3 an hour they aren't getting anything at all".  It isn't far fetched and the devolution of society could happen faster than you would like to believe.  Sure it is cynical but it is well within the realm of possibility.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:

So they aren't doing it to be altruistic.  What happens if the media, social and regulatory pressure is gone?  The way things are going all it takes is a savvier Trump to come to power and strip even more of the regulatory actions back, and the cheerleaders with the lets go Brandon flags will clap their hands while their rights are taken away.  When things get bad enough the company can simply say times are hard we can't offer the same benefits and pay as we used to but you should feel lucky to be employed etc.  Heck I remember 20 years ago having conversations with well off folks about how bad it is that the people that make our products make so little in the way of wages abroad, a common reply was "If they aren't getting $3 an hour they aren't getting anything at all".  It isn't far fetched and the devolution of society could happen faster than you would like to believe.  Sure it is cynical but it is well within the realm of possibility.
    Well except that everything is going the other direction, even in the era of Trump.  No they are not being altruistic per se.  But if there were no regulatory bodies (not happening) and media was silenced (unlikely) and you couldn't file law suits (unconstitutional), then no, I still don't think corporations would subjugate the population for $2 more of EPS.  The point I'm making is that these companies are run by actual normal ass people.  And they believe in rights, freedom, equity just like you do.  Working for a corporation doesn't mean that you have suddenly forgotten every moral lesson you learned in your lifetime.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120

They canceled in NC 2016 but are scheduled to play OK this year. The NC bathroom bill impacted under 5% of the population while this one over half.

Head scratcher. More so what were they thinking back then.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113

They canceled in NC 2016 but are scheduled to play OK this year. The NC bathroom bill impacted under 5% of the population while this one over half.

They clearly made a knee jerk reaction to the NC issue. Was a very poor decision 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,619
    edited April 2022
    As long as its someone else's 13 year old daughter, I'm sure. I guess the 13 year old's parents or grandparents don't have any rights because I'm sure they won't suffer any consequences when they kick her to the curb because they don't want to raise a rapist's baby? These are the people in power now and in 2024? Lights out. Oh, and thanks Bernie.

An Ohio lawmaker proposing a near-total abortion ban was given a hypothetical: A 13-year-old girl is raped and becomes pregnant as a result. Would the Republican’s bill force that teenager to have her rapist’s baby?

Yes — and the resulting child would be an “opportunity,” state Rep. Jean Schmidt said this week.

“It is a shame that it happens, but there’s an opportunity for that woman, no matter how young or old she is, to make a determination about what she’s going to do to help that life be a productive human being,” she said.

Schmidt made the comment while testifying Wednesday before a committee about her legislation, House Bill 598, which would ban abortions, except those needed to end life-threatening pregnancies. Schmidt’s bill is part of a wave of antiabortion legislation cropping up in Republican-controlled statehouses across the country as conservatives anticipate a Supreme Court decision that would overturn or weaken Roe v. Wade — an increasingly likely prospect as the court, with its 6-3 conservative majority, considers a case about Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban, The Washington Post reported.

And, as a reminder................

Republican politicians have a history of making inflammatory statements about rape. Last month, Robert Regan, a Republican running for a seat in the Michigan legislature, said that he instructs his daughters to “just lie back and enjoy it” if they get raped. He was trying to make an analogy to abandoning efforts to decertify the 2020 presidential election results. In 2019, Missouri lawmaker Barry Hovis talked about how most sexual assaults were “consensual rapes” while debating antiabortion legislation, although he later told The Post he misspoke. And in 2012, Missouri Rep. Todd Akin’s campaign for U.S. Senate tanked after Akin, when asked about his opposition to abortion, said rape-induced pregnancies were “really rare,” adding that “if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Ohio state Rep. Jean Schmidt calls pregnancies from rape an 'opportunity' for victims - The Washington Post

Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    As long as its someone else's 13 year old daughter, I'm sure. I guess the 13 year old's parents or grandparents don't have any rights because I'm sure they won't suffer any consequences when they kick her to the curb because they don't want to raise a rapist's baby? These are the people in power now and in 2024? Lights out. Oh, and thanks Bernie.

An Ohio lawmaker proposing a near-total abortion ban was given a hypothetical: A 13-year-old girl is raped and becomes pregnant as a result. Would the Republican’s bill force that teenager to have her rapist’s baby?

Yes — and the resulting child would be an “opportunity,” state Rep. Jean Schmidt said this week.

“It is a shame that it happens, but there’s an opportunity for that woman, no matter how young or old she is, to make a determination about what she’s going to do to help that life be a productive human being,” she said.

Schmidt made the comment while testifying Wednesday before a committee about her legislation, House Bill 598, which would ban abortions, except those needed to end life-threatening pregnancies. Schmidt’s bill is part of a wave of antiabortion legislation cropping up in Republican-controlled statehouses across the country as conservatives anticipate a Supreme Court decision that would overturn or weaken Roe v. Wade — an increasingly likely prospect as the court, with its 6-3 conservative majority, considers a case about Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban, The Washington Post reported.

And, as a reminder................

Republican politicians have a history of making inflammatory statements about rape. Last month, Robert Regan, a Republican running for a seat in the Michigan legislature, said that he instructs his daughters to “just lie back and enjoy it” if they get raped. He was trying to make an analogy to abandoning efforts to decertify the 2020 presidential election results. In 2019, Missouri lawmaker Barry Hovis talked about how most sexual assaults were “consensual rapes” while debating antiabortion legislation, although he later told The Post he misspoke. And in 2012, Missouri Rep. Todd Akin’s campaign for U.S. Senate tanked after Akin, when asked about his opposition to abortion, said rape-induced pregnancies were “really rare,” adding that “if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Ohio state Rep. Jean Schmidt calls pregnancies from rape an 'opportunity' for victims - The Washington Post

Also the opportunity to "lie back and enjoy it." So much opportunity. Really should be thanking rapists.
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    The female body has ways to shut the whole thing down huh?  This shit is truly unfucking (is that one word or two?) believable.  I truly didn’t think there was still a man on earth who doesn’t know how females reproductive systems work.  Perhaps he’s referring to the hanger method because I’ll be damned if I knew how to make my babies go away.  Fucking morons run this country. 
  • Options
    The female body has ways to shut the whole thing down huh?  This shit is truly unfucking (is that one word or two?) believable.  I truly didn’t think there was still a man on earth who doesn’t know how females reproductive systems work.  Perhaps he’s referring to the hanger method because I’ll be damned if I knew how to make my babies go away.  Fucking morons run this country. 
    Don't forget the fucking morons who support and vote for the fucking morons who run this country. Or aspire to run this country.
  • Options

They clearly made a knee jerk reaction to the NC issue. Was a very poor decision 

Honestly I feel very uncomfortable about what the red states are doing, to the point they “feel” like second world countries. I understand the frustration of NC fans, if I had tickets I would have been angry. But I also do not want to step foot in states that believe in nasty gun and anti health freedom laws for women. Honestly I don’t know how PJ will feel when they play OK this year.

When state legislatures tell rape victims to learn to love the child of their attacker with zero choices, how far out of control is red country?
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    Don't forget the fucking morons who support and vote for the fucking morons who run this country. Or aspire to run this country.
    You’re 100% correct.  
  • Options

Honestly I feel very uncomfortable about what the red states are doing, to the point they “feel” like second world countries. I understand the frustration of NC fans, if I had tickets I would have been angry. But I also do not want to step foot in states that believe in nasty gun and anti health freedom laws for women. Honestly I don’t know how PJ will feel when they play OK this year.

When state legislatures tell rape victims to learn to love the child of their attacker with zero choices, how far out of control is red country?

• Options
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    What's next Brown v. Board of education?...Things are about to get interesting.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Everyone who sat out 2016 or voted third party: you reap what you sow. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    mrussel1 said:
    This should have been a huge campaign issue in 2016. Democrats are horrible at politics. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Everyone who sat out 2016 or voted third party: you reap what you sow. 
    They, along with republican voters, are complicit in this and what happens next.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    edited May 2022
    Keeping it safe, legal, affordable,  and available on demand.....

Hadn't visited this thread since this page, which contains the now infamous case.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...