U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Awesome win today!  Party like it s 1776!!!
    Don't say that around Nike.
    Dumb fuckimg move by Nike.  Give me a break.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I can’t listen to Landon Donovan speak.

that was a pretty wild 15. Pulisic is good. Unfortunate weather delay

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    mcgruff10 said:
    Awesome win today!  Party like it s 1776!!!
    ZZZZZZZ. :sleeping:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Holy shit pulisic is good
    edited July 2019
    First men’s game I have watched at length in a while

I don’t disagree with anything anyone has said, but you can’t judge this team yet. Lots of good names out there, at least from a prospect perspective, and they deserve some time. Pulisic is a world class player obviously, but there was some good names on that field. Tim ream as captain is concerning though 

Love they are playing second fiddle to the women on Sunday. Amazing. I was opposed to the equal pay thing but they have put up some numbers recently. 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited July 2019

I don’t disagree with anything anyone has said, but you can’t judge this team yet. Lots of good names out there, at least from a prospect perspective, and they deserve some time. Pulisic is a world class player obviously, but there was some good names on that field. Tim ream as captain is concerning though 

Love they are playing second fiddle to the women on Sunday. Amazing. I was opposed to the equal pay thing but they have put up some numbers recently. 
    The women have definitely put up some numbers, and now have the biggest selling US soccer jersey ever on Nike's site. This is the team that has captured the US's attention. This is the team that people are tuning in and watching. They do deserve higher pay, even if it is at the expense of the men's pay. I'll also grant you that the men deserve some time prior to further judgement. I know I've shit on them hard the past couple of years. But I think I'm in love with Pulisic and McKennie. Those guys are our future. Don't care about Bradley, Trapp, Ream, or some of those guys, and I'm still not sold on Steffen yet, but we've got some real potential with our young guys. 
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019

Should not be here maybe

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    or fuck it, I guess its the correct thread. 

https://youtu.be/4avBZcnGA9c
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    jeffbr said:

The women have definitely put up some numbers, and now have the biggest selling US soccer jersey ever on Nike's site. This is the team that has captured the US's attention. This is the team that people are tuning in and watching. They do deserve higher pay, even if it is at the expense of the men's pay. I'll also grant you that the men deserve some time prior to further judgement. I know I've shit on them hard the past couple of years. But I think I'm in love with Pulisic and McKennie. Those guys are our future. Don't care about Bradley, Trapp, Ream, or some of those guys, and I'm still not sold on Steffen yet, but we've got some real potential with our young guys. 

It's a pleasure to watch Pulisic and McKennie play together.  Although not a ton to be excited about besides those 2 with this current roster.  It's too bad that Adams, Brooks and Yedlin are all injured because those 5 players right there are a nice start and keys to the future.  And throw in Sargent and Weah the future looks pretty bright.  Still not crazy about Berhalter as coach.  Agree with Cliffy on Ream being the captain....apparently they keep switching it up.  Just give the armband to Pulisic and let him wear it for the next decade...pretty simple.

Was thinking about going to the Gold Cup final on Sunday but ticket prices are insane...cheapest seat is like 275.  That's going to be like a home game for Mexico.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I love this quote - Alex Morgan, in ESPN article answering people criticizing her "teacup" celebration the other day.

"I feel that there is some sort of double standard for females in sports," Morgan said, "to feel like we have to be humble in our successes and have to celebrate, but not too much or in a limited fashion. You see men celebrating all over the world in big tournaments, grabbing their sacks or whatever it is. And when I look at sipping a cup of tea, I am a little taken aback by the criticism."

She is right, of course, but just the crack about the way men celebrate is pretty funny.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    You can be annoyed at the coaching hire, which I get, and still give everyone a grace period. I just don’t feel like complaining about anything is appropriate now. This is a completely new team. Most so since the early 2000s probably. Give them some time. Almost no one here is responsible for anything related to the World Cup team. We want this to do well.

You think chicago is a home game for Mexico?!?

is Miazga any good? I was pumped to hear his name the other day. 

Watching pulisic play the field and make himself part of the game is amazing. He almost doesn’t have a position. I don’t know how his career will go but he is the best US player ever, already. He is already better than Donovan, Dempsey, McBride, Reyna...right? I’ve never seen a US player do the things he does.
    Boom. There it is 
    ten minutes to go!
    Yes!!!  What a run by this team...back to back!  And could easily have been 3 in a row if they didn't lose the shootout in the 2011 final.    
    USA!!! Great game.  Congrats.
    So this women’s team is something. Hell of a performance. I find it wild Lloyd is at the point in her career to get like a half hour of play the entire time.

Proud of those women. Very impressive. And honestly, challenged some of my sensibilities. I am happy for that too on a personal level.

I did not think the women deserve equal pay, and I am still not sure they can keep up the dollar signs outside of every four years, but they did some serious numbers. Best selling Nike jerseys, which obviously. The ticket prices for the France game. The sheer number of people attending these games. The people who I am friends with who are interested in it. The scenes from KC and dumbo, though the men have these crowds all over the country. It’s wild and I am a lot more aligned with their argument than I was a few weeks ago. And hell, they’ll probably have equal pay just in time for my 18 month old daughter to wear number 10 with hopefully a couple more stars on the crest.

My wife commenting how cocky rapinoe is and me defending rapinoe saying, know who else is cocky, Ronaldo...why can’t she be.

Thanks for the therapy season here haha. Regardless, congrats to the women and let’s go win two trophies today!
    Oh, rose lavelle is an absolute baller
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    US Mens team should make whatever starting pay is to scrap the hot dog tray at the 7/11 store.  Especially after getting knocked out of the last prelims by a suburb of Topeka
    That right there is why everyone hates jozy
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    So this women’s team is something. Hell of a performance. I find it wild Lloyd is at the point in her career to get like a half hour of play the entire time.

Proud of those women. Very impressive. And honestly, challenged some of my sensibilities. I am happy for that too on a personal level.

I did not think the women deserve equal pay, and I am still not sure they can keep up the dollar signs outside of every four years, but they did some serious numbers. Best selling Nike jerseys, which obviously. The ticket prices for the France game. The sheer number of people attending these games. The people who I am friends with who are interested in it. The scenes from KC and dumbo, though the men have these crowds all over the country. It’s wild and I am a lot more aligned with their argument than I was a few weeks ago. And hell, they’ll probably have equal pay just in time for my 18 month old daughter to wear number 10 with hopefully a couple more stars on the crest.

My wife commenting how cocky rapinoe is and me defending rapinoe saying, know who else is cocky, Ronaldo...why can’t she be.

Thanks for the therapy season here haha. Regardless, congrats to the women and let’s go win two trophies today!
    You think the coach gets a bunch of shit, for not playing Carli Llloyd enough, if the USA doesn't win the WC?  I mean, she's still one of the best goal scorers in the world. And she did score 3 goals in this WC with limited playing time.

I forget the exact dollar figures, but the pay difference is huge. FIFA makes Billions so can they contribute more money for the women in the WC?

Rose Lavelle was the best player vs England.

Yeah, how does Altidore miss the  net..............  completely? How old is he now?
    That right there is why everyone hates jozy

Yep.  One of the most frustrating US soccer players of all time.
    Fuck. That was coming for a good 15 minutes now
    What a horrific 2nd half.  And like I said Cliffy...it's like a home game for Mexico.  That's why the US never schedules any WC qualifiers here anymore...usually end up playing a road game.
    What a horrific 2nd half.  And like I said Cliffy...it's like a home game for Mexico.  That's why the US never schedules any WC qualifiers here anymore...usually end up playing a road game.
    Crazy. Crowd is insane. Where the hell can they play? Columbus? Seattle?
    Yeah it sounds wild down there right now.  Was at a QC qualifier in 2009 vs Honduras at Soldier Field and US fans were outnumbered big time.  They've become more strategic when scheduling those games now in places like Columbus, Seattle, Kansas City, Salt Lake City...
    Yeah it sounds wild down there right now.  Was at a QC qualifier in 2009 vs Honduras at Soldier Field and US fans were outnumbered big time.  They've become more strategic when scheduling those games now in places like Columbus, Seattle, Kansas City, Salt Lake City...
    They definitely have though remember some criticism of the World Cup qualifying scheduling. The Costa Rica game 
    I fucking hate Mexico soccer
    I fucking hate Mexico soccer
    We had our chances.  
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Congratulations USA to the gold medal !!!!