U.S. Soccer Thread

1414243444547»

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821
    Just awful.  Don't see how they can let Berhalter continue.  It's just never a good idea to bring a coach back for another World Cup cycle.  Worst part is that these were the last meaningful matches they will play prior to 26 world cup since we automatically qualify as host.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,863
    Wobbie said:
    disclaimer: I don’t watch much soccer; I don’t know much about soccer and I don’t particularly like soccer…

that said, I caught the tail end of last night’s match and then the postgame. all kinds of adjectives were used last night and will be again today…shame, failure, disgust, etc. I know there are plenty of players on the USMNT good enough to play in europe but I think the expectations are always too high. yeah, looking at that group, the US should have made it out but soccer is a hell of a lot more important in most of the world than it will ever be here. I don’t believe “our” best HS athletes will EVER be playing soccer…maybe a few, here and there. perhaps it’s time to admit/realize the US of A will never be a soccer country? it’s OK if our wealth and arrogance can’t win every damn medal vs. the world.

But, yes.  Yesterday was a disgrace.
    It’s not a disgrace to lose at a sport that most Americans only care about when they’re told to care about it.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    disclaimer: I don’t watch much soccer; I don’t know much about soccer and I don’t particularly like soccer…

that said, I caught the tail end of last night’s match and then the postgame. all kinds of adjectives were used last night and will be again today…shame, failure, disgust, etc. I know there are plenty of players on the USMNT good enough to play in europe but I think the expectations are always too high. yeah, looking at that group, the US should have made it out but soccer is a hell of a lot more important in most of the world than it will ever be here. I don’t believe “our” best HS athletes will EVER be playing soccer…maybe a few, here and there. perhaps it’s time to admit/realize the US of A will never be a soccer country? it’s OK if our wealth and arrogance can’t win every damn medal vs. the world.

But, yes.  Yesterday was a disgrace.
    It’s not a disgrace to lose at a sport that most Americans only care about when they’re told to care about it.
    Yes it is.  
    Wobbie said:

With the influx of migrants from the South 

You will have more Spanish players than white ones that is for sure.

I’m not so sure…Today I heard soccer in other countries referred to as a “street sport” and US soccer as a “country club sport.” we get the rich kids who have been supported by mom and dad. will our “influx of migrants” ever be noticed by US soccer?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    So long, Gregg.  Never quite understood why he was hired in the first place....he wasn't even that great in MLS.  Will be interesting to see how serious they are about getting a legit coach.  Klopp and Pochettino are available!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Klopp said no...bummer
    Klopp said no...bummer
    I got to assume you still don't hold the delusion we can make the semis in the 2026 World Cup like you thought after 2018?
    pjhawks said:
    Klopp said no...bummer
    I got to assume you still don't hold the delusion we can make the semis in the 2026 World Cup like you thought after 2018?
    I meeeean, they should have been able to, but no, things are not good. Buuuuuut England is in the finals of the Euros, so hell, anything is possible. So f it....hell yeah...I'll be in person to watch the US in the Semis in a couple years.
    Klopp said no...bummer
    Honestly surprised they even reached out to him.  But not shocked he turned them down.
    pjhawks said:
    Klopp said no...bummer
    I meeeean, they should have been able to, but no, things are not good. Buuuuuut England is in the finals of the Euros, so hell, anything is possible. So f it....hell yeah...I'll be in person to watch the US in the Semis in a couple years.
    love the positivity.   will be interesting to see who knew coach is.   how much blame should the players be taking though?  it can't all be the coaches fault.
  • involutionaryinvolutionary Posts: 138
    gregg is out. No klopp - who will be the next US soccer coach. I’m eager to find out. I hope it’s someone with more passion that can really fire up the team and bring out the best in the players..
    It’s not a good job. You have one top 100 player - pulisic.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • involutionaryinvolutionary Posts: 138
    Wobbie said:
    It’s not a good job. You have one top 100 player - pulisic.
    True it’s probably a very hard job. I’ve  always been a fan of the underdog. I’ve built two bad news bears teams from last place to first place. Absolutely you need great players but it’s also about placement, heart & strategy. Look at Ollie on the UK National team - all heart that kid. He is young and proving himself and very eager to please and try very, very hard.
    Is the flopping as bad in the Euro as in the Copa? That aerosol must be some miracle shit. I watched the first half…more than enough.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,728
    Cavan Sullivan becomes the Youngest player to ever play an MLS game at 14 years old for the Philadelphia Union last night Pearl-Jam-Smileys
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40153203/cavan-sullivan-freddy-adu-youngest-mls

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Don’t know much about him, but good with it all things considered 
    They can't do much better than Poch.  As a Spurs fan, I absolutely loved him....he elevated that club to a different level.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004
    Cavan Sullivan becomes the Youngest player to ever play an MLS game at 14 years old for the Philadelphia Union last night Pearl-Jam-Smileys
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40153203/cavan-sullivan-freddy-adu-youngest-mls

Hopefully he's better than Adu ended up being.

I think 14 is too young.  The kid might be peaking now... But eh, what do I know?

Hopefully he's better than Adu ended up being.

I think 14 is too young.  The kid might be peaking now... But eh, what do I know?
    His brother plays for the Union as well.   Man City already signed him to a contract to have him transferred to them at 18.